R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Questions about 2 different noises...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
spiffyames
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about 2 different noises...

I have a new 08 MC auto hitting about 9,000 miles on it...first cooper I've owned - love it.

noise 1: about 1500 miles ago, I noticed that the engine noise is very loud. It's like a whiny noise when I'm driving at any speeds. When the car is idle, I hear it loudly like I'm driving...is it because I'm not used to the smaller body size and being closer to the engine? I had a camry before this...

noise 2: I hear a rattle that comes up when I drive on random surfaces or accelerate sometimes. I think it's coming from the front driver's speaker. It's like an amplified sound. It keeps getting worse and it's really annoying me.

can anyone shed insight? Thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Noise 2 is probably just a loose component... tell the dealer, and they will fix it.

Noise 1 is a different story. If you just noticed this roaring sound 1500 miles ago, it isn't because you're used to sitting farther away from the engine. A foot or two isn't going to make much of a difference in sound.

If this noise just started showing up, it could be a pretty significant issue, especially if it sounds like you're driving when you are actually idle. I'd bring this up to the dealer, for sure.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spiffyames
noise 2: I hear a rattle that comes up when I drive on random surfaces or accelerate sometimes. I think it's coming from the front driver's speaker. It's like an amplified sound. It keeps getting worse and it's really annoying me. can anyone shed insight? Thanks
before U bug the dealer, let it get worse to the point that it occurs on smooth roads. then that way the dealer wont have to spend time trying to get the noise to replicate.

road harmonic rattles can be a biatch to pinpoint and diagnose.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1 sounds like the waterpump/tensioner noise problem. which is relatively common. #2 , does it go away when you turn the radio off.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
I have the same noise on my mcs in the cold. But after it warms up it's fine? Does the noise continue throughout the entire journey?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
I have had a few interior noises that have both been trim rings. One was on the spedometer and one on an a/c vent. When you are driving and hear the sound just put a little pressure on the trim rings one at a time. I told the dealer about the spedo one and they fixed it. I will let them know about the vent rattle next time in.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
spiffyames
Neutral
Thanks for all the replies. I live in GA and it hasn't been cold recently (70 degrees today but with rain). The noise does get slightly louder if the car has been sitting in the cold and then gets slightly better as it warms it. It does most often sit in the garage though. I'm just worried since I'm partially deaf in one ear and it seems that the car is working a lot harder than it should. It sounds more like an older car's engine versus new or like a larger truck that winds up and down as I'm idle (if that makes sense). I'll ask about the water pump / tensioner.

Noise 2 pops up randomly, even with the radio off. At first, it was barely noticeable but it occurs more frequently and stays for a longer time when it occurs. I think it's probably something loose as mentioned by the comments.

I'll update with what the dealer says...crossing the fingers.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Coleman318
1st Gear
Originally Posted by phxsteele
I have had a few interior noises that have both been trim rings. One was on the spedometer and one on an a/c vent. When you are driving and hear the sound just put a little pressure on the trim rings one at a time. I told the dealer about the spedo one and they fixed it. I will let them know about the vent rattle next time in.
I'm having issues with rattling of the tachometer above the steering wheel. Mostly during acceleration, when you press the two pieces of plastic together the rattling goes away. Is this common? I might as well take it in and get that fixed.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM
spiffyames
Neutral
I took my mc to the dealer...
noise 1 was due to some metal filings in the oil, causing it to overwork. got it changed and its good to go.

noise 2 was due to a loose part in the tach behind the LED light. while i thought i was hearing the speaker, it was actually the vibration from the tach. they placed insulation fabric and kit to secure it. i haven't heard the noise yet.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spiffyames
I took my mc to the dealer...
noise 1 was due to some metal filings in the oil, causing it to overwork.
got it changed and its good to go.
<...>
Now does that ever make the case for a post break-in oil change!