R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 how long did you spend at the dealer ordering your Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Sanek
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long did you spend at the dealer ordering your Mini?

How long did it take you to order a Mini?

My story is I intend to order a Mini on one of my trips from Tucson AZ to Frenso CA. That is usually a 11-12 hour trip done in one day. Do they jack you around to different offices and make you wait for extended periods of time and be there for hours or can I take a quick test drive, order it and be out of there in an hour? I don't wanna spend all day there. Think it'd be wise to make a special trip?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
I ordered my from MINI of Murray in UT. I called my MA, configured on the Web site, e-mailed the config. My MA faxed the config for approval. Zero time in the dealership. A couple e-mail messages and a phone call. This was for MSRP, and so there wasn't any negotiation time.
When I test drove at another dealer, it was a quick test drive and then out. The only reason I didn't order from my local dealer was the 8 month wait.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 PM
miniguy5
4th Gear
I ordered and the whole process took about 1.5 hours but that is because I wanted to test every upgrade such as hifi and armrest and I had a lot of questions.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Sanek
2nd Gear
Yea I kinda wanted to do that too. reading on this site has made me doubt the auto A/C and Hi Fi upgrades. Also wanted to see how the leather/cloth seats feel. Maybe also I can finally figure out if the mellow yellow color is more of a school bus yellow or what. It looks pretty neat in the pciutres, but you can only tell in real life.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM
miniguy5
4th Gear
Personally I think the black roof looks better on the yellow because the bottom trim is black. Also I thought the HiFi upgrade was good because I listen to sixties music (I'm not old though) and for that type of music it doesn't make much of a difference. Plus I thought it sounded better than the stereo in my Honda after I tested it. I think it depends on what your listening to. The auto AC came with my premium package.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Sanek
2nd Gear
I listen to a lot of rock and alternative. Well as long as it sounds the same or better then my current VW's Monsoon sound system I'll be happy.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All depends on you and the individual dealer. Call the dealership and tell them what you want to do.

As for me. I went to my local dealership and wound up driving 4 cars. A JCW, a Cooper S auto, a Cooper S manual, an 08 Sidewalk JCW cabrio.

I never did order a car. I wanted a very specific config and they gave me a great deal on a car that they had in stock with my specs plus much, much more.

In the end I spent 5+ hours at the dealership over the course of 3 days. I only 20 minutes away.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
for my 02 I drove into the dealership at about 4 one afternoon and drove out about 6 with a new S off the lot .... had to come back the next day with the spousal unit to pick up the Miata.

Patience hell .... let's go kill something .... said one vulture to the other ...

Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
We made 3 trips to the dealer, which is about 60 miles away, 1st trip we looked around, asked a few questions and took a test drive. (We were sold after test drive) about 1 hr. 2nd trip we looked at fabric samples, and options we were interested in. about 45 minutes. 3rd trip went in and spoke with same MA whom assisted us the prior trips, sat in his office configued car and options, and ordered. wrote check for deposit Done. 30 minutes. The process was one of the best experiences at a car dealer ever. Total time 2 hrs 15 minutes - Mark

Old 01-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Supercoopr
3rd Gear
For me, the pick up took longer than the order. I had spec-d mine out online at least a dozen times so by the time I finally ordered I knew exactly what I wanted.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I don't remember, but I'm sure its less than a couple of hours including the test drive.

We go in talk to Jeff, say we're thinking of buying another MINI, find a suitable one to test drive, test drive it, find a bunch of other MINIs which have examples of the other options we're thinking of, then sit down with Jeff at the computer and make the order.

I'm pretty sure that was about 2 hours total for Shawn, and we dithered a lot about colours.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the last two I emailed the specs and wired the deposit.For the first two I spent most of the day at the dealer.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
MakoBimmer
4th Gear
I also spent ZERO time @ the dealership. My purchase was done completely via internet/fax/phone. BEST buying experience I have ever had with a car.

One the best things you can do prior to starting the entire process is get your financing preapproved and out of the way.

The only time I visited a dealership was to see the interior trim options to make sure I was getting quality materials.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Sanek
2nd Gear
I'm not interested in financing. I will be paying in cash. Guessing that will speed up my time there. I just hope I don't get some "oh, well we have to start the paperwork after ordering" b/s because then I'm walking.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Ditto the zero-time club. I e-mailed my MA my car spec, gave them a credit-card deposit over the phone, and didn't see the showroom until my car was in it. Classic MINI rocks

Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanek
I'm not interested in financing. I will be paying in cash. Guessing that will speed up my time there. I just hope I don't get some "oh, well we have to start the paperwork after ordering" b/s because then I'm walking.
i was afraid of that too, but no... the only real paperwork is for the registration... in and out!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
How long did it take you to order a Mini?

My story is I intend to order a Mini on one of my trips from Tucson AZ to Frenso CA. That is usually a 11-12 hour trip done in one day. Do they jack you around to different offices and make you wait for extended periods of time and be there for hours or can I take a quick test drive, order it and be out of there in an hour? I don't wanna spend all day there. Think it'd be wise to make a special trip?
Call the dealer and make an appointment early. Mention that you want a test drive and let them know that you 're making a 10hr drive there. Research the dealer beforehand to reduce the chances that you get screwed over once you get there (some dealers just don't care, unfortunately)

From personal experience - I had my build sheet ready and with me, but went in w/o an appointment and spent a whole Saturday afternoon at the dealer just to get a test drive and ended up helping to close the place down. Once I finished the test drive, though, it was about 30-45 min. I reviewed the build sheet with my MA and we went over certain options (incl. a quick jog to one of the lot cars to look at the checkerboard dash) as well as financing/payment options, which took about 30 minutes. After that it took 10 min to enter the build in the system and give up my deposit.

The more you research beforehand the shorter your visit will be, but I think everyone will agree that trips to the dealership always take a long long time regardless.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Visit to dealer, 15 minutes.
Visit to MiniUSA.com, 15 hours.
Visit to NAM site, 15 hours.

Made my decisions based on MiniUSA offerings/info, NAM recommendations and feedback, and one more short visit to dealer for color and one option decision.

Very little time needed at dealer. Though dealer buying experience was extremely positive.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Sanek
2nd Gear
haha I hope my buying experience is like yours. It pretty much is if I don't spend more then 15 minutes at the dealer.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miniguy5
Personally I think the black roof looks better on the yellow because the bottom trim is black. Also I thought the HiFi upgrade was good because I listen to sixties music (I'm not old though) and for that type of music it doesn't make much of a difference. Plus I thought it sounded better than the stereo in my Honda after I tested it. I think it depends on what your listening to. The auto AC came with my premium package.
"+1 "+1 "+1 My music is usually Jazz or Blues on XM-Radio.

Yea I kinda wanted to do that too. reading on this site has made me doubt the auto A/C and Hi Fi upgrades. Also wanted to see how the leather/cloth seats feel. Maybe also I can finally figure out if the mellow yellow color is more of a school bus yellow or what. It looks pretty neat in the pciutres, but you can only tell in real life.
Thats for sure! I had blue/white picked from website, after seeing them, MY/B won by a mile and second would have been PW/PW.

Interiors also must be seen and sat in; (I didn't find any of them comfortable, so did my own later as my second mod after Euro Armrest).

Beyond the Test Drives, color choice and interior sits, the actual order shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, or you could even do it later,
over the phone with a CC Deposit.

Originally Posted by In The Pink
For me, the pick up took longer than the order. I had spec-d mine out online at least a dozen times so by the time I finally ordered I knew exactly what I wanted.
Yes, now is when you will spend time in the finance office (even paying cash) and get to say no to all the add-on warranties and special packages,
usually only one finance officer per dealer, so pick a slow day.

Expect at least an hour with your MA, as he goes through all the features and programs both key/fobs (pay attention,
you will soon want to change those programs).

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM
gohandbz8
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went to the dealership with my printed out configuration, handed it to the MA, took a MCS for a test drive, came back and was ready to go once I handed in the deposit check. It all took about 30 mins from start to finish.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gohandbz8
I went to the dealership with my printed out configuration, handed it to the MA, took a MCS for a test drive, came back and was ready to go once I handed in the deposit check. It all took about 30 mins from start to finish.
+1. Mine took a little longer, but so did the "test drive"

Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
rataczak
3rd Gear
Ordered by phone

We ordered our Mini S over the phone! Took less then a half hour.
Very satisfied with the experience.

Doug & Sue

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Ordered by phone, took less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to me it looks more like a mustard yellow, not French's, but kinda Guldens-ish, if that helps. certainly darker than the first gen whatever that was.

I love the L/C seats, had them in my first car, have 'em in my 2nd, best of both worlds. but then I need the lumbar supports.

Last edited by sequence; 01-12-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 how long did you spend at the dealer ordering your Mini?