R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Automatic or manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
spec sheets dont mean squat. In real life, a stock MCSa will best the manual in 1/4 mile, standing 0-60, and stock class Auto-X.
Again....someone posting on an internet board saying that "real life" stats are different than factory specs doesn't mean squat either. I understand that you like your automatic but you don't need to defend it so hard. As far as autoX, I'm not seeing automatic to be much of an advantage there either. At my local venue, 90% of it is done in second gear with the shift from first done in the first couple seconds of the run. There is only one local guy with an auto (who got it that way because he sometimes shares it with his wife who uses hand controls) and he's fast....well because he's a fast driver.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I dug this very entertaining thread up to point out it's really unnecessary to start a whole NEW thread on this well-beaten topic-- search people SEARCH

Including you, Blimeycabrio. You have a couple classic remarks on this one, including my personal fave: "I'm just making a sport outta stating our side of the matter. Us paddle shiftin brothers gotta stand together."

Can U fit that on a t-shirt? If so, I'm buying!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-kill-me.html

Last edited by sequence; 01-21-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
I understand that you like your automatic but you don't need to defend it so hard.
i'll defend any way I wish, thank you

Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeaJayAre
I'll never understand why someone prefers to push a lever to shift.
I see no particular advantage to pushing a lever through an H gate, but a manual gives you control and the wheels directly coupled to the engine.

As far as I can see an auto gearbox is a system for automatically selecting the wrong gear. If you change gear yourself, you can make sure you're in the right gear, or at least you can't blame the hardware for being in the wrong gear. The flappy paddles on the MINI auto may over come that problem, but you're still pushing a lever to shift. If you're not controlling the gear you're in your not driving the car.

The other problem with autos is the torque converter, so your wheels aren't connected to the engine. The hope there is that we'll get a dual clutch DSG style gearbox sometime. If that happens, I might think about getting an auto MINI and then use it properly (ie in manual mode).

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dug this thread up to point out that it's really unnecessary to start a whole NEW thread on this well-beaten topic-- search people SEARCH

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-kill-me.html
Well take the fun out of it. It's always nice to get some fresh views.

Either way you go the MINI is a fun car to drive, auto or stick. The 09 JCW is another beast and will nail a stock MCSa or MCS.

You all can go search some more.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Well take the fun out of it. It's always nice to get some fresh views. Either way you go the MINI is a fun car to drive, auto or stick. The 09 JCW is another beast and will nail a stock MCSa or MCS.
You all can go search some more.
why did JCW enter the debate? this is about MCS vs MCSa. Now, when a DSG/SMG-type automatic is offered on the factory JCW (Getrag? Aisin? ZF?) then we'll have something fair and equal to compare--JCW manual vs. JCW auto. I can hardly wait for the fireworks to begin...

Last edited by sequence; 01-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'll defend any way I wish, thank you
Sometimes these can be good threads but this one has turned useless....if you really auto X all the time you will prefer a manual...if you dont know how to shift and drive or are a weekend warrior you will run an auto because its easy to drive....not better. For sport the manaul is for me...nothing wrong with the auto just like to drive with the stick......relax man...nobody is saying your car is bad...grow up.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
sequence: Maybe in the hands of someone who lacks proper shifting capabilities. Otherwise, ceterus paribus, the manual is faster.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
why did JCW enter the debate? this is about MCS vs MCSa. Now, if/when a DSG/SMG-type automatic is offered on the factory JCW, then perhaps we'll have something equal to compare.
It was said the the Auto MCS was faster than ANY MIni....the JCW does qualify as a Mini....right
This is not a debate its a pissing contest......

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
How do you find the flappy paddle thingies when auto-xing? I would think they are a very fast moving target, and you'd have to resort to the stick anyway.

But then, I've never figured out how to use an automatic.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:59 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
This has already been tested by Roadfly(go to 4 min mark) by their test drivers and journalists. The automatic was always a bit faster. Obviously this is just in a straight line, and the manual may out perform the auto in AutoX due to control of the engine output.

Anyway when I went to order my MINI my MA stressed to me to get the manual. He said I would have way more fun in it and that the paddles will lose their luster after a few months. He was completely wrong. When I test drove both auto and manual, the auto just felt better to me and was to me way more comfortable with equal performance. The auto to me is kinda the best of both worlds. So it really is up to the buyer/owner of the car to say which is better. No matter what trans anybody ends up with when they buy a MINI, they are still buying into the wonderful world which is MINI!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Even driving a car that has fast shifting paddle shifter in it was boring after a while. I drove a couple of cars with auto and paddles put on the wheel, there a novelty and shift no fater then when your in the "D" mode.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:24 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
You don't have to use the paddles to shift with the gear selector on the center console will shift also. This is better and closer to the "manual feel". If you use the paddles without putting the gear selector in the steptronic position it will got back to normal auto after a few seconds. Also, from my experience, in "manual mode" or steptronic on my auto, it will not cut out on shifting points that the normal auto has like other steptronic transmissions. It just will not let you go past red line.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniEnvy
You don't have to use the paddles to shift with the gear selector on the center console will shift also. This is better and closer to the "manual feel". If you use the paddles without putting the gear selector in the steptronic position it will got back to normal auto after a few seconds. Also, from my experience, in "manual mode" or steptronic on my auto, it will not cut out on shifting points that the normal auto has like other steptronic transmissions. It just will not let you go past red line.
Sounds cool....I will stick to the manual. To each his own

Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Misterfamous
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
It was said the the Auto MCS was faster than ANY MIni....the JCW does qualify as a Mini....right
This is not a debate its a pissing contest......
Relax. The question was MCSa vs. MCS, as someone else said. I figured I didn't have to qualify that with further caveats like "what if I shell out $6000 for JCW", or lighten the body to reduce weight, or strapping a Pratt & Whitney F135 afterburning jet aircraft engine with 40,000 lbs of thrust to the roof. Of course there's something out there conceivably faster than a stock MCSa. And YES - this would assume a basic, well-trained driver, and not a professional racing driver who can optimally hit all of the shift points for maximum acceleration. Geez...!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Misterfamous
Relax. The question was MCSa vs. MCS, as someone else said. I figured I didn't have to qualify that with further caveats like "what if I shell out $6000 for JCW", or lighten the body to reduce weight, or strapping a Pratt & Whitney F135 afterburning jet aircraft engine with 40,000 lbs of thrust to the roof. Of course there's something out there conceivably faster than a stock MCSa. And YES - this would assume a basic, well-trained driver, and not a professional racing driver who can optimally hit all of the shift points for maximum acceleration. Geez...!
I am pretty relaxed....you do entertain me though. Nice examples...how did you know I have a PW on the back of my Mini....sorry JCW

Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Misterfamous
1st Gear
I am pretty relaxed....you do entertain me though. I assume your not a teacher Nice examples...how did you know I have a PW on the back of my Mini....sorry JCW
The saying goes- "He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches". I wouldn't put it past you having the jet engine mounted to your MINI- you're talented/crazy enough. I tried to give mine similar extra power, but it took too long to light all the bottle rockets...

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
To each his own indeed! The Auto is indeed faster in straight line gigs, equal driver in both, and there is no doubt about that.

However, the difference is so slight (.2 seconds?) that driver skill would completely overcome this difference in time. If you are driving manual your entire life, you are probably going to be faster than if you drove a "flappy-paddle" automatic.

Drive what you want. The difference is slight. Since the driver of the automatic can control his own gears, I don't see the difference, besides the direct feeling of the manual or the ease of daily driving with the automatic.

Get what you like. Pissing on another MINI because it is "a manual for old-fashioned motorists" or "an automatic for unskilled drivers" is total bull. I've destroyed many manual sports cars around a track with my MCSa, and have been destroyed by many manuals.

Stop throwing a hissy-fit, you horrid manual purists and despicable automatic junkies, and attend a driver's school. At least then you can prove your worth with times.

I love MINI!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
The saying goes- "He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches". I wouldn't put it past you having the jet engine mounted to your MINI- you're talented/crazy enough. I tried to give mine similar extra power, but it took too long to light all the bottle rockets...
If I could I would...

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
That's why I smoke cigars. Easy to light them up faster.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
old81
M6
Ah, I mentioned 09 JCW since it was stated that the 09 JCW was faster than the MCSa, it is as noted (stock to stock), but since a 09 JCW auto does not exist, moot point.

Since it (09 JCW) only comes as a manual shift, it is only fair to compare it to itself or the MCS.

We all love our MINIs, go drive and enjoy. I love my paddles, you can love your manual shifter.

My next MINI may be a 6 speed or not.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Noegel
To each his own indeed! The Auto is indeed faster in straight line gigs, equal driver in both, and there is no doubt about that.

However, the difference is so slight (.2 seconds?) that driver skill would completely overcome this difference in time. If you are driving manual your entire life, you are probably going to be faster than if you drove a "flappy-paddle" automatic.

Drive what you want. The difference is slight. Since the driver of the automatic can control his own gears, I don't see the difference, besides the direct feeling of the manual or the ease of daily driving with the automatic.

Get what you like. Pissing on another MINI because it is "a manual for old-fashioned motorists" or "an automatic for unskilled drivers" is total bull. I've destroyed many manual sports cars around a track with my MCSa, and have been destroyed by many manuals.

Stop throwing a hissy-fit, you horrid manual purists and despicable automatic junkies, and attend a driver's school. At least then you can prove your worth with times.

I love MINI!

Own
JCW Manual for the horrid purist in me
Corvette Twin Turbo Auto for the despicable auto junki in me
And all I hear from you is a bunch of

Here I am in the last rally I entered...you can see I am in the Mini

Last edited by Red Bull; 01-21-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Own
JCW Manual for the horrid purist in me
Corvette Twin Turbo Auto for the despicable auto junki in me
And all I hear from you is a bunch of

Here I am in the last rally I entered...you can see I am in the Mini
I was merely poking fun at everyone shooting the other side... it seems no matter what you or I drive, it is always terrible in the eyes of someone else.

Hell, if I thought everyone who drove manual was a horrid purist and an automatic a despicable auto junky, then what the heck do I drive? A bicycle?

Jeez, I'm not whining. That's what this thread is. Nobody who has posted can appreciate the other side. Sarcasm.

Blargh, whatever that means.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear

The difference is in the torque converter. Creates too much slop and delay during a down shift. Also far more difficult to do a smooth downshift with an automatic in a fast decreasing radius sweeper. As said, all else being equal, automatics will be faster during straight line launches, but do not offer the control needed in high speed cornering situations. Hence automatics are used at the drag strip and manuals (in many cases automated manuals) are used on road courses.

The real test should be: Which offers the driver more driving pleasure? To each his/her own.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
I was merely poking fun at everyone shooting the other side... it seems no matter what you or I drive, it is always terrible in the eyes of someone else.

Hell, if I thought everyone who drove manual was a horrid purist and an automatic a despicable auto junky, then what the heck do I drive? A bicycle?

Jeez, I'm not whining. That's what this thread is. Nobody who has posted can appreciate the other side. Sarcasm.

Blargh, whatever that means.
Actually I thought you might be driving around in one of these
No transmission of any kind...most bikes have gears so I thought you would have an issue with that

Quick Reply: R56 Automatic or manual