R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS - Sport Stripes, Bonnet Stripes, or No Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
betting he means the difference between this:

and this:

see how they aren't continuous? thats how the factory option looks.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Small & Plain...really?

All factory parts on the outside with the exception of the scoop...Bonnet stripes have been on Mini's for a long time and I do not see Gawdy...more like a style. I think about 95% or more on this forum have bonnett stripes that makes 95% of the cars here Gawdy
Some people are just not fans of stripes. Different strokes for different folks?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsar
Some people are just not fans of stripes. Different strokes for different folks?
I agree

Old 02-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Bull
Small & Plain...really?

All factory parts on the outside with the exception of the scoop...Bonnet stripes have been on Mini's for a long time and I do not see Gawdy...more like a style. I think about 95% or more on this forum have bonnett stripes that makes 95% of the cars here Gawdy
Uh yeah, that's right, people have different tastes.

Your car looks fine if you like. I think it would look better without the stripes. Obviously we agree to disagree.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Uh yeah, that's right, people have different tastes.

Your car looks fine if you like. I think it would look better without the stripes. Obviously we agree to disagree.
Its all good..your right..there all small and your is plain...nothing wrong with that..its what makes them all diffrent

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my personal opinion but I think the Mini's look naked without some type bonnet of stripes.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Kind of agree with you on that; not sure if it because generally you see them with some time of stripe or its the design/size/shape.

Originally Posted by Augie05
Just my personal opinion but I think the Mini's look naked without some type bonnet of stripes.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by KCinBR
Mine are homemade, not my design but my work...

That's Hot ! and Original.......wonder what it would look like having the middle stripe made of Chrome Tape ?

I like it, nice Job

Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Anyone have a JCW or MCS in PW with the factory Sport Stripes?

Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
I went around and around about stripes to any ornamentation at all ...I decided that simple is the best visual statement thus Me'lo is a not stripe nor mirror nor top ornamentation car...I like that simple statement>>>

Now with that said, any time I see a striped hood or top/mirror ornamented etc MINI I do smile...I like but it is not something I think I could live with long term. This is such a personal subjective issue thus this is IMHO
Michael

Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Yeah, I know what you mean.

For me, certain colors work better as a solid with matching roof color and no stripes as you have yours, however on some, especially the PW with a black roof, it seems to need something to pull it together. On the PW, I prefer just the hood sport stripe, but not on the boot.

Originally Posted by MeloR56
I went around and around about stripes to any ornamentation at all ...I decided that simple is the best visual statement thus Me'lo is a not stripe nor mirror nor top ornamentation car...I like that simple statement>>>

Now with that said, any time I see a striped hood or top/mirror ornamented etc MINI I do smile...I like but it is not something I think I could live with long term. This is such a personal subjective issue thus this is IMHO
Michael

Old 02-13-2009, 05:23 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No stripes and body colored roof. The Mini is a small plain car. Gawding it up with stripes wasn't my taste.
Small and plain ? The MINI might be a small car, but it's about as far from being a plain car as you can possibly find.

One of the great things about owning a MINI is all of the you-ifications you can do to it. Stripes are just one of them.

The person who buys a MINI and doesn't enjoy modifying it to suit their individual taste is missing out an part of the fun of ownership, IMO. Not to say you have to do stripes, mind you. But keeping it "plain"...

Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE

Michael
To achieve the "look" you were going after, I think you should have not gotten the sunroof and you should de-badge the boot.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Can you explain what you mean by this?

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
de-badge the boot.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Small and plain ? The MINI might be a small car, but it's about as far from being a plain car as you can possibly find.

One of the great things about owning a MINI is all of the you-ifications you can do to it. Stripes are just one of them.

The person who buys a MINI and doesn't enjoy modifying it to suit their individual taste is missing out an part of the fun of ownership, IMO. Not to say you have to do stripes, mind you. But keeping it "plain"...
Missing out? You-ificationing a MINI (is that really a world) can be doing nothing at all as well. "Suiting their individual taste" as you said can very well mean doing nothing to. That's there taste.

Yes I like plain Mini's. Less is more. The car looks great off the showroom floor. Gawdy with tons of stickers and vinyl is not my taste. Lots of folks like their's with those mods but not everyone does. You-ification is right. Stripes, graphics, and flashy paint belong on race cars where it's used to catch your eye for advertising to fund the race program. They are pointless for street driving.

Yep, I'll keep mine stock. It motors around great. Not knocking anyone who likes their own ride to look like a race car, or have stripes, or whatever mods you like. It's just an opinion.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 02-13-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 AM
MeloR56
3rd Gear
But Me'lo likes his butt tattoo

Old 02-14-2009, 03:14 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Missing out? You-ificationing a MINI (is that really a world) can be doing nothing at all as well. "Suiting their individual taste" as you said can very well mean doing nothing to. That's there taste.

Yes I like plain Mini's. Less is more. The car looks great off the showroom floor. Gawdy with tons of stickers and vinyl is not my taste. Lots of folks like their's with those mods but not everyone does. You-ification is right. Stripes, graphics, and flashy paint belong on race cars where it's used to catch your eye for advertising to fund the race program. They are pointless for street driving.

Yep, I'll keep mine stock. It motors around great. Not knocking anyone who likes their own ride to look like a race car, or have stripes, or whatever mods you like. It's just an opinion.

Sure, you can keep your MINI "plain".

But if you choose to do that, try to refrain from calling non-plain MINIs, "Gawdy". You will only allienate a good portion of the MINI owners on this board.

And I strongly disagree with your opinion that stripes, graphics, and flashy paint belong only on race cars. In fact, that's downright silly and narrow minded.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:16 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
But Me'lo likes his butt tattoo

Yeah, I do like that "TURBO" badge. It would be a tough thing to take that off but your boot would look great nekkid.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Yeah, I do like that "TURBO" badge. It would be a tough thing to take that off but your boot would look great nekkid.
Your waisting your breath with Minidrivr...if you have to explain it to him ..well you know. This is a person who thinks mods should be done to race cars and for promo purposes..LORD

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Sure, you can keep your MINI "plain".

But if you choose to do that, try to refrain from calling non-plain MINIs, "Gawdy". You will only allienate a good portion of the MINI owners on this board.

And I strongly disagree with your opinion that stripes, graphics, and flashy paint belong only on race cars. In fact, that's downright silly and narrow minded.
Reread my other post in this thread. Yeah, people have different opinions. It's only a car, don't take it personal.

The OP of this thread specifically asked why people like stripes or no stripes. I stated my opinion on it. Yep, it differs from the modding crowd. Get over it.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Reread my other post in this thread. Yeah, people have different opinions. It's only a car dude, don't take it personal.
Frankly, I also found that first post to be narrow-minded.

And don't worry, I'm not taking it personally. You think anytime someone challenges something you say, they're taking it personally ?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Frankly, I also found that first post to be narrow-minded.

And don't worry, I'm not taking it personally. You think anytime someone challenges something you say, they're taking it personally ?
This is getting pretty far off topic but yep, I consider challenging an opinion something personal. Criticism is good for discussions. Devil advocate, etc. Nope, don't like the stripes. Somebody get this thread back on subject...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
This is getting pretty far off topic but yep, I consider challenging an opinion something personal. Criticism is good for discussions. Devil advocate, etc. Nope, don't like the stripes. Somebody get this thread back on subject...
Oh, you were just playing Devil's Advocate now ? And it's as simple as "I don't like stripes" now ?

So, you didn't say the MINI is a plain car ? You didn't say some of us have "gawdy" MINIs ? And you didn't say this ? :

Stripes, graphics, and flashy paint belong on race cars where it's used to catch your eye for advertising to fund the race program. They are pointless for street driving.
Sounds pretty narrow-minded to me !

Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Yep, it looks best plain. A Mini with a lot of vinyl and decals look gawdy.

Not any more narrow minded than saying a Mini has to modified, stripes, etc to make it personal to the owner. Just won't let it go eh. I've stated my reasons for the OP.

Quick Reply: R56 MCS - Sport Stripes, Bonnet Stripes, or No Stripes