R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Capacity??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM
nrfitchett4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just pour it in until it comes out the top. Is that not how I'm supposed to do it...

Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4
I just pour it in until it comes out the top. Is that not how I'm supposed to do it...
Very close to the right way. Here, there was a demonstration video posted a while back, here's a .gif image of the adding oil step:

Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Sinjen
1st Gear
Timely bump of this thread. I had the chain/tensioner replaced at about 50k miles because I heard the rattle and they told me the chain had stretched. It was 3 weeks until they could get me in and the SA told me to change the oil before I did and that should help because Coopers are "highly regulated by oil pressure" (made no sense to me). Interestingly, the death rattle subsided after the oil change. I went ahead with the fix anyway, as they told me it was stretched and I had no reason to disagree, plus I fought with Mini USA and they picked up the tab on the parts. Even since the fix, I've noticed that when the oil pressure drops I can hear the rattle, even with the new one installed. I've been doing oil changes about every 4k miles, with little drama.

Today, I started to hear the sound....even though I changed the oil 1k miles ago. Logic says that I'm either burning more than 1qt/1k (what the SA told me and what I've read) now, or I was burning less than that all along. Either way, I seem to be burning more. I've been changing oil in my cars for 15 years and this is the first car that I can't accurately or confidently read the dipstick. Makes it really fun.

Quite frankly, after a year and nearly 20k miles of ownership, my experience has been that all of the fun had while driving my MCS is lost on the maintenance and unreliability. Getting ready to sell it, which is a shame.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I check my oil weekly, on either Saturday or Sunday morning, once I know that all of the oil is in the pan. You should understand how much oil is going away before throwing in the towel.

For me, the car is so much more fun than what else I would be driving every day that I put up with some extra stuff (like a dipstick that you can't read hot).

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Sinjen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I check my oil weekly, on either Saturday or Sunday morning, once I know that all of the oil is in the pan. You should understand how much oil is going away before throwing in the towel.

For me, the car is so much more fun than what else I would be driving every day that I put up with some extra stuff (like a dipstick that you can't read hot).

Have fun,
Mike
I'd love to. I've tried hot, cold, warm, and it's just not accurate. And if that was the only thing, then maybe I'd be willing to deal more. ****, if that was the only thing, I get an oil pressure gauge and call it a day. It's not...first the chain, then the water pump, then the thermostat. Then both keys died when it was sitting for a few weeks at the dealership waiting on Mini USA to figure out if they were going to help me out. Great design...keys without user replaceable batteries...$200 each. I was into the car for $2500 with 6 months of owning it.

The ongoing annoyance with the oil is just one more thing. I'm now hearing something rattle when going over small bumps. Sounds like end links. My usual model is buy at 40k and sell at 80k. Honestly, IDK if it will even make 80 if I wanted it to. We'll see what happens. I'd take my '03 F150 with 120k on it into battle (literally). I'm sorry for sounding whiny but even weekend trips in the MCS are not confidence inspiring.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Well, sometimes a car tells you when it is time to go. Good luck to you, Sinjin.

Mike

Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Just changed the oil this weekend and put 4 1/2 quarts of oil just like I always do. I don't have any trouble checking the oil, I always do it first thing in the morning. I lay a papercloth on the dipstick after pulling it out and read the mark from the oil staining the cloth against the dipstick.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Bob Saget
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sinjen
... Then both keys died when it was sitting for a few weeks at the dealership waiting on Mini USA to figure out if they were going to help me out. Great design...keys without user replaceable batteries...$200 each. I was into the car for $2500 with 6 months of owning it.

The ongoing annoyance with the oil is just one more thing...
What key do you have? My comfort access keys allow for the change of battery. I just did it a few weeks ago.

Also, the oil thing really isn't that bad. If you are a responsible driver, and care about your engine, then checking the oil once a week should be a normal thing. Hell, I check it every time I fill up with fuel. It passes the few minutes while I'm filling up.

As for the OP's original question.... 4.5 quarts should be perfect. Overfilling is bad for the seals and could actually cause damage and premature failure to them (think higher oil pressure, against something that is only meant to handle so much)

Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM
sneal46
1st Gear
As much as I didnt want to, I bought the Craven oil dipstick. It is 1000x better than the OEM. Yeah its over priced but its spot on hot/cold/whatever. Definitely a must for anyone that checks oil regularly.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I overfilled my oil this afternoon. It was so hot in the mountains, I couldn't get a good read off my Cravenspeed stick. I think the oil just ran off the stick when it's 95 degrees and the engines hot. What's the best way to get some out. Does Kragen/O'Neils sell a pump that I can put down the oil filler and suck out a quart?

Thanks

2010 R57S Chili Red w/ Blackout

Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
See if there is a boat supply store around you. Many boats drain oil through the dipstick, I would think that they would have a universal system that would be made for this.

Mike