R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 PLX DM-200 OBD II experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
coyle996
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLX DM-200 OBD II experience?

Hey Guys,

I have seen a bunch of threads on the install of these gauges, but I was wondering how they were to live with.

Do they not have any gauges you want? Does the oled screen get annoying?

Its a big chunk of change for these things and i just want to make sure they are worth it.

I'm primarily looking for temp and maybe boost, do these gauges have that info?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coyle996
Hey Guys,

I have seen a bunch of threads on the install of these gauges, but I was wondering how they were to live with.

Do they not have any gauges you want? Does the oled screen get annoying?

Its a big chunk of change for these things and i just want to make sure they are worth it.

I'm primarily looking for temp and maybe boost, do these gauges have that info?

Thanks

I am not familiar with this gauge, but you might want to look at the Scangauge 2. I got this gauge on the advice from people on here. It gets the info from the OBD2 port just like that other gauge so I think the info would be the same. I am using it on my truck right no and the info is great. I did not get to use it on the mini yet. I got mine for 159. So it is a lot cheaper that the other one. I must admit it is not as neat looking.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Might also want to check out the DashDaq. It's a little more pricey but it has a lot of functionality.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi, I have had the PLX DM-200 OBD II installed for a few months. I can't speak about boost monitoring exactly, but I don't believe the standard OBD has that "sensor" available for monitoring. So that means you would have to add the PLX boost sensor module along side the DM-200 module (they both can use the one screen). And for temp, the computer works great for that (that is my default gauge). I use (almost) default orange color scheme which matches the nighttime color scheme of the Cooper. I have yet to load a custom gauge image set in. The PLX works good and the screen is not too bright for me. I did have one bit of trouble when I did not tighten down the screws for the screen plug. Second issue, when it was -30°F the screen was flickering until it warmed up a bit in the car, and that looked just like when I had the screws loose. One thing I don't like is the speed reading (I don't know if it is the PLX or the Mini computer) does not hold steady, after a few minutes it drops down by a few MPH then starts jumping around. Every other sensor seems stable when they should be. Also another thing to note, the number of sensors the Mini outputs on the OBD bus is pretty limited. The ones I like are engine load, water temp, cat temp, voltage. The refresh rate is pretty decent with the four max sensors you can display selected. I put it in an Alta gauge pod on the left side of the tach and I zip tied the module to the clutch bracket (since I have an automatic), I power the unit from the fuse panel (along with my radar detector) on an ignition switched fuse. Looks very factory. Kind of hard to see in the sun shine with my orange color scheme.