R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS ordering suggestions...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 AM
davekmd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS ordering suggestions...?

Folks, thanks in advance ... just joined this forum. I'm about to order a hardtop MCS this weekend and already found some great advice herein. I'm trying to keep the cost low (as if $26-27K is low). Anyway I'm thinking of the following. If you all might have a 'must have' option can you chime in?
My car will be a daily commuter and yes the wife will drive it. She seems genuinely excited about that prospect so it will be an auto. I live in Maryland.

S
Pepper White/black roof
Auto
Cold package
Leatherette
Xenon (I leave for work while it's dark and often return while it's dark)
rear fog lights
Multi-function steering wheel
alarm
mud flaps

Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by davekmd
Folks, thanks in advance ... just joined this forum. I'm about to order a hardtop MCS this weekend and already found some great advice herein. I'm trying to keep the cost low (as if $26-27K is low). Anyway I'm thinking of the following. If you all might have a 'must have' option can you chime in?
My car will be a daily commuter and yes the wife will drive it. She seems genuinely excited about that prospect so it will be an auto. I live in Maryland.

S
Pepper White/black roof
Auto
Cold package
Leatherette
Xenon (I leave for work while it's dark and often return while it's dark)
rear fog lights
Multi-function steering wheel
alarm
mud flaps

Thanks again.
That all sounds great. I forget how much the alarm is, but I've not met many people that have it. According to my State Farm agent, the MINI is already rated in the lowest risk category, regardless of if you get an alarm system or not.

If you're going for an S, I have to tell you that you need to get DTC. Either get the sport package as a whole, or at least get the DTC separately. You could also look at the Sport Suspension if you're going to play in the twisties.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...irst-time.html

There's a video that'll show you the difference. The MINI does an excellent job keeping you on the road when you push its limits. You can always turn it off if it's too annoying for your driving, but it's definitely a great addition.

Good luck with the purchase!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My .02, I would add the Dynamic Traction Control since you live in a snowy winter climate.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by saturn
My .02, I would add the Dynamic Traction Control since you live in a snowy winter climate.
+1

Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Oooh, exciting times for you. Ditto on the DTC suggestion. Everything else you have listed will give you a great ride. I had mud flats installed on my mini after I bought it and I think they are great; the front ones really keep the door panels much cleaner than they were before I had them installed. Welcome to NAM-land from Madison, WI.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 AM
cameroon
4th Gear
Sounds good, though I'm with wbarnhill on the alarm. The MINI already has an engine immobilizer, so I opted not to get an alarm that no one pays attention to anyway

[Edit] Removed the bit about DTC since I didn't see initially that you said you're in Maryland. Since you are in MD, I would say the DTC could be handy.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Heated seats with the Cold Weather pkg come in migghty handy on cold mornings.

Rear Fog's? needed? ditto on the alarm

Suggestion-get the stick and teach the wife to drive it. I've had a couple service loaners with auto and while it's OK the stick is the way to go IMHO

Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Kyran
2nd Gear
I have the alarm and I like it. Its a personal choice really.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
davekmd,

I forgot to mention earlier that I have a mini with the navigation system. I like it for the mapping functionality, but I also like the fact that the navigation system works with bluetooth tech, etc. and the navigation screen looks much better in the center console, IMHO, than the huge speedo. My speedo is mounted to the right of the tach, just behind the steering wheel, where, again IMHO, it is better placed. Are you smiling yet?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kyran
I have the alarm and I like it. Its a personal choice really.
+1
It's the "heartbeat" of my MINI!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 AM
davekmd
1st Gear
Thanks a bunch

Folks, thanks a million for all the replies. I hadn't considered the DSC or whatever Mini calls it, but perhaps I need to rethink that; I will. The sport package is a bit pricy at ?$1500 or so. I don't remember what exactly you get but it didn't seem like a lot; maybe the Xenon and DSC.

I've driven nothing but sticks for years but this car is an exception. My wife really seems excited about this car which surprises me (pleasantly) to no end. I showed her one last week and she just oggled and oggled over it like no other car I've ever shown her. Whle my two daughters learned to drive a stick, my wife never really showed any interest.

BTW This car is replacing my 93 Miata which now has nearly 200K miles. I've had that car for more than 10 years and it's been a ton of fun, plus even now with nearly 200K mi, I still get 31-32mpg. The Mini has a lot of character, much like the Miata.

Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just like others said, you gotta have an alarm and DSC! If the weather isn't dreadful outside and slippery turning it off seems to turn off some parameter in the ECU and I can accelerate much faster.

The alarm definitely looks cool. The pulsing red light is menacing!

Manual is the only way to go man. I drove automatic for 9 years. When I ordered my Mini I just HAD to have a stick. Even though I didn't use a stick for a long time, I got used to the Mini's stickshift in about a day. Stupid fun LOL!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
glangford
6th Gear
If you are not an audiophile planning significant audio upgrades I'd urge the hi-fi option. Many audiophiles complain about it, but to a non audiophile its not bad and is a significant improvement over the base underachieving system.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
davekmd
1st Gear
rear spoiler?

I can't tell the difference from the spoiler that comes on the S and the optional $369 jobbie? What exactly is the difference between the two?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
When I purchased my MCS, I did not have the luxury (time) of building mine so was forced to get off the lot. One of the options that was a must was LSD. I am so glad my car has it, as it is costs an arm and a leg to get installed after the fact. Worth every penny.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
My only regret is not getting the integrated bluetooth, so I always recommend it. It works quite well (I had a loaner with it)

Old 03-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
DTC is now offered as an option-- new for 2009 I think. DSC is standard. I ordered my Cooper S with DTC. Anything that gives me more control in the winter is worth an investment. I agree whole heartedly that if you listen to music all the time in your car, then the Hi-fi upgrade is a must. I have the standard 6 speaker system in my current MC and it is quite disappointing.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Zag
1st Gear
I spent more time than I should have (but probably about the usual amount for NAM members) thinking about options. A few thoughts: first, if you're ordering and intend to have the car for a while, try not to get too compulsive about saving on the options that are on the fence. After I ordered, I worried about if I should have added more or less, gotten more or saved more. Since I took delivery almost 2 months ago, I have had at least 3-4 times that I looked around the car and really felt as though I had exactly what I wanted. No more, no less.

With all that setup, the thing I debated the most was auto v. manual transmission. I prefer manual, but I drive from Dulles into DC a few times a week. I was REALLY worried about the hassle of a manual, but the manual is very easy to drive. My wife has never mastered stick, but I am confident that this car will be the one that gets her over the hump.

Also, I did notice that I felt like I was holding on for dear life when I drove the heck out of the auto, but I felt more relaxed driving the stick in a "spirited" way. YMMV, of course.

So, with the money I saved on the automatic transmission, I added a bunch of options.

My sig shows the final config. I am thrilled with it and I probably debated every single option, so let me know if you are considering any of them and I will be glad to share specific thoughts.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
The alarm is $500 and I dont think it will do much to stop some from taking you car if they can get past the keyless engine start of the standard car. If you have an Iphone or think you might get one ipod usb/blue tooth are great nothing like jaming to you tunes, then taking a call and the music paused and starts back up when you get off the phone. Just skip the auto trans and get the usb/ipod option and a new iPhone and $400 worth of other stuff and have a more fun to drive car.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
bballplaya210
2nd Gear
I'm surprised nobody else has said this but I think the white turn signals are a necessity, especially for a white car.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ImCBParker
When I purchased my MCS, I did not have the luxury (time) of building mine so was forced to get off the lot. One of the options that was a must was LSD. I am so glad my car has it, as it is costs an arm and a leg to get installed after the fact. Worth every penny.
+1 on the LSD. Especially in snowy climates, never again will I get a car without one. This is a MUST HAVE item.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:53 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Nice, one suggestion, lose the alarm get anthracite headliner. Alarms do nothing to deter theifs in any way shape or form, anthracite headliner was one option I forgot and so wish I didn't.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
I decided not to get the alarm as well and still received the "auto-theft deterrent" discount because the key needs to be in the car for it to start. That leads me into my next suggestion, the "convenience package". Since you are getting the MFSW, I would take the plunge for the Convenience package that includes bluetooth, MFSW, etc...
If you have a smartphone, I would also spend the $100 for the smartphone integration that enables you to charge it up in the armrest.
I would also get the anthracite headliner and the white turn signals.

Just my .02 as well. Have fun!!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 AM
davekmd
1st Gear
Thanks folks!

Thanks folks for all the input/feedback. I ordered my Pepper White on Saturday from Mini of Annapolis (Maryland). Auto was a requirement since my wife will also drive the car occassionally on weekends. And to be honest she didn't know much about Minis, but when I showed her the car in person she just lit up with a huge smile. She was even more delighted than me that we were getting a Mini that she could drive and so that's good enought for me. Besides I've rowed gears in Washington D.C. traffic for more than 15 years. Plus I have another car with 6-speed if I wish to row gears, listen to one of the most beautiful engines in the world, strafe apexes, and challenge my license.

LSD is not available with automatic so that was out. I decided on Cold, Xenon, rear fogs, multifunction steering wheel, stock leatherette, upgraded stereo speakers, anthicite headliner, and the sport stripes. I was able to keep the price down to where IIIIII thought it was OK. I mean geez I just got a brand new Honda CRV with leather, Nav and every other friggin option Honda offers for LESS $ than the Mini.

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Excellent choices Dave, you chose the options that would've been a bear/impossible to retrofit (rear fogs, anthracite, hi-fi, MFSW), so you obviously did your homework. Don't worry about the auto...judging by the current auto owners out there, they are an absolute hoot to drive with the paddle shifters, you're not missing out on much, if anything. Congratulations

Quick Reply: R56 MCS ordering suggestions...?