R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clear bra / Invisishield - cut by hand or computer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra / Invisishield - cut by hand or computer?

Curious from those that have had the clearbra installed, did your installer apply it and cut by hand or use a computer program to generate it?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not a fan of it, but I've seen this done a hundred times, on everything from a Mini to a Ferrari. Nearly every pro does it with a machine. Computerized, patterned roller that cuts the patterns. BUT, that is not to say that a) some parts have to be hand cut, or b) someone cutting by hand won't do as good a job.

The key is to use a very experienced professional installer who has tons of experience, and use a high quality material.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Curious from those that have had the clearbra installed, did your installer apply it and cut by hand or use a computer program to generate it?
i very much agree that an experienced installer is absolutely key.

mine was done by the only local vendor approved by ventureshield. you can go to the ventureshield website to find one near you, and you can also see what the pattern will be for your car here.

i thought the results were excellent on my car. i went ahead and did it even tho my MINI salesperson urged me not to do it, saying he had never seen a good application. that was true until he saw mine, which he couldn't see until i pointed it out to him and he got within a foot of my car. of course, the bra shows more distinctly the dirtier your MINI is. on the other hand, a number of MINI club members, upon seeing my clear bra and suffering a good bit of paint chips and pitting on the faces of their cars, were a little rueful of not getting the bra put on.

i got a great deal on my tint plus bra -- $700 total. note that the pattern you'll see on the ventureshield site shows a piece that goes all the way up the hood. mine only goes three to five inches above the headlights. but the guy who did my MINI's clear bra put strips on the door edges, the forward half of the side views, and on the top of the rear bumper. the clear bra also covers the headlights, and front fogs.

let me know if you want pics and i can email you links.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I did my own from a pre-cut kit I bought from eBay. Pretty easy to do. I did not get it completely perfect. Only $30 or so. Well worth a shot.