R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New to MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
coolkev99
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to MINI

Hey all, I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am considering buying a mini cooper (non S) and am weighing all the options etc. Its a bit insane all the options available for this car. Its also very depressing how much they charge for some of the options! I mean $500 for HD radio?! I also have read all the posts on the Nav unit, and I swore to myself that my next car would have Nav, so I am considering that as well.

But my question here for now has to do with reliability. How have the coopers been as far as problems? I checked consumer reports, and it *appears* that the first gen models are a little more problematic than the 2nd gen. Is this true?

Also I was wondering about those back seats.. have any of you shuttled around adults in those things.. how'd it work out?

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got 21,000 on my 07S and aside from a couple of minor issues that were all covered under warranty, no MAJOR problems. As with most forums, you'll see more problem related posts than you would problem free posts.
I carry a 3rd passenger a lot of the time, nothing long distance, but mainly a run to the store and such. While it's not the roomiest, they never complain.
Time for my 2 cents: save the money for the NAV option and get an S. You'll be glad you did.....trust me!
You can always buy an aftermarket GPS (garmin) and such for a fraction of the price.
Have you gone and test driven both yet?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Hi coolkev99,

Welcome to NAM-land from Madtown, WI. I became a mini owner just 3 months ago when I traded in my 2006 dodge magnum r/t 5.7 hemi 375hp awd drive sport wagon for a 2006 mini cooper with a manual transmission, the premium package and navigation system. This is a wonderful forum where you can learn alot about minis just by doing some research here. I have no regrets or remorse about my trade! I particularly like the nav system as it resides in the center console, replacing the large speedo. My speedo is mounted just to the right of the tach, behind the steering wheel, were IMHO, it is better situated. Has far as I can tell, you have nothing to worry about regarding reliability in the mini cooper model. In 1st gen, try to get a 2005 or 2006 as they have the best transmission design. I'll let others chime in about the 2nd gen model, as I drive a 1st gen. Have you been on a test drive yet?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
First thing you need to be aware of coolkev, is that almost every 'S' owner on NAM will be along to tell you, you will regret getting a regular Cooper.

Ignore them. Just test drive both and decide which one fits your needs. That is what I did, multiple times. I got a Cooper and have never looked back.

Romi and I have been happy campers since day one. Fun to drive, great gas mileage and ample power to tool around. Anyone claiming a Cooper does not have enough power to be operated safely has no idea how to drive a car in traffic. Onward.

I would not consider the built-in NAV system. I have multiple cars, so having a portable made much more sense rather than having to get used to multiple NAV systems. And when the portable is out dated, I get a new one. Once you have it built-in, you are stuck with it. Just does not seem like a good investment to me.

Romi has about 18,000 miles on her and she runs better than the day I picked her up. Gas mileage has improved, whether due to good break-in or adjustments to my driving style did that is hard to say.

I would buy one again.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since no one has chimed in on the backseat ... ha ha... I will!

I have a Mini Cooper S but the backseat is the same. I fit my two six foot tall friends (220 pounds each) in the back and they said they were not too uncomfortable. I'm 5'10" and weight 179 pounds and I still had ample room to shift (since I have a manual transmission) and work the pedals.

I only have 2700 miles on my 2009 R56 so I can't vouch for reliability at this point.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I forgot to mention the backseat. I am 6'4" @ 205 pounds and there is no way anyone would be able to sit behind me.

In my case, the car is a two seater. It is just me and the Wife. I never had to consider having room for anyone in the back seat.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
coolkev99
1st Gear
Hey all, thanks for the posts so far. Yeah I know the NAV is waaaay overpriced, but I love the integration with other systems and I just think it looks so very cool. I hate hate "tack on" items, and I only have one car so a portable seems dorky to me. I do realize its more cost effective though.. which brings me too..

S vs no S. I realize S is fun! Believe me I do. In fact, if I were buying 4 years ago I would have DEMANDED an S. But nowadays what appeals to me is gas milage. After that last gas spike I don't want to be caught in a more powerful car I have to drive like grandma all the time. Blah!

Basically, if I get an S that increases the potential frequency and cost(s) of tire replacement, gas, speeding tickets, insurance, etc. Not to mention the $3000 or whatever it costs to get that engine. I think I"ll be OKAY with a regular MINI cooper. But yeah... I "get it" on the pros of S.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM from Middle Georgia Minis. I had a 04MC and now have a 06MCS. Drive both and make your choice on your feelings for both. My 04 was as much fun to drive as the 06 with a bit more comfort in the ride. I've had a few issues with the 06 but all were covered by the warranty. It just went out of warranty and I've had no problems, but than that was only 2500 miles.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
You'll get 4-5mpg better with a MC than the MCS (I get 32mpg combined). The one thing to know about the NAV is that IF you use them (like I do) to locate businesses nearby or on your routes the Mini's Nav unit is flawed for this. I use a TomTom and a Blackberry and I can find nearby Starbucks just by typing STAR... in search. Don't count on that with the Mini. There's a whole long thread about it (I can feel Birdman lurking now ) but in a nutshell they didn't do that part right, and they probably won't fix it. If you want to get from point A to point B or traffic updates I'm told it's fine. I don't have it myself.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 03-31-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
The great thing about the Mini. One man's wine is another man's poison.

The one thing I wish I had done different is the wheel/tire combination. The 16" wheels were a mistake. I should have stuck with the 15" wheels. They ride better, quieter, and with the sports tires only lose a smidgen of turn-in quickness.

The 16" Dunlop sport runflats are noisy and harsh. With a Cooper, you do not need the runflats. I think the 16" wheels look better, but I am going back to 15" wheels as soon as the warranty expires.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Glad to see you posting and those are some good starter questions, trust me there will be more.

The myriad options are one of the things that pulled me to MINI in the first place, you just can't get it in most other cars.

I ended up going with an aftermarket NAV solution like many people here. For me it was a matter of cost and convenience. I like being able to "upgrade" my NAV when newer models/technology comes out and don't want to be stuck with what is factory installed in the car. I also like having the freedom to take it out and use it elsewhere when the need arises.

The backseat was actually one of the reasons I wanted my MINI. Before Ferris I had a Rodeo and ended up being "the" driver whenever my friends and I went somewhere. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed being able to do that but this along with the largeness of the SUV and lack of fun it was time to think about me for a change. Occasionally I cram a third person into the back seat but it is rare and most people wouldn't want to be there for long let alone 2 people in the back.

I've got about 18k on Ferris now and the only problem I've had is the tires are about shot. What can I say i like to drive aggressively.

Happy motoring and look forward to seeing you on the road.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
I have both a non s (Clubman) with Nav and a S with out nav. Like every thing else in life whats good for you may or may not be good for the next guy.

If you want to use the MINI as a 3 or 4 seat car you will have to get the clubman. It's rear seat has plenty of room for an adult to sit back there for a long drive with the front seats sitting normally. With the normal MINI the front seat has to be moved far up for the rear pax to have enough room for anything more that a short drive(more so for a large child since there feet will not go to the floor and fit under the front seat).

The S non S it totaly up to your driving style the S is not better or a must have despite what a lot of S owners will say simple drive both or better yet just drive the non s and if you are happy with it you are done. For sure the S will be a lot faster but a must have no way.

While $2000 may seem like a lot I think you get a lot with the nav system. Its part of the car so no need to worry about someone trying to take it. It makes the radio, car settings and phone much easer to controle. It give a nice display if you get the PDC. No need to get a mount or run wires and install and remove every time you use it. It has voice control and the radio get muted when it's talking to you. It has free trafic service(which you can also get with some portables). I do agree with the post above about the POI search unlike with my iPhone or the garmin I got for use in my S the MINI nav needs you to select the correct category in order to find a POI. There is no search for all that match the name you type. By the time all is said and done you will spend almost $500 on a nice portable gps and mount/install. And you will get some of the rest of the $1500 back when you sell the car.

So sum it up if you need more that a 2 person car you need a clubman. The S and NAV are things that are nice if you can afford them but not must haves.IMO

Old 03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
coolkev99
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Considering I've surived with a Miata for a few years the tiny back seat seems like a plus at this point. You are right geekswrath, I have many more questions but I'll save that for another thread.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Originally Posted by coolkev99
Thanks for the info. Considering I've surived with a Miata for a few years the tiny back seat seems like a plus at this point. You are right geekswrath, I have many more questions but I'll save that for another thread.
I will also add that geekswrath has a nice mount for his GPS that looks great. I believe it's a kuda mount, but I can't seem to find the one he's got on their site. Anyhow, it's an excellent solution that takes away that "I don't want a suction cup on my windshield constantly" problem, if that's one of the reasons you were looking at the MINI Nav.