R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Wheels, wheels and more wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009 | 12:55 PM
dortoh
|
2nd Gear
Wheels, wheels and more wheels...

I have been looking at the plethora of aftermarket wheels out there and with few exceptions they all seem to revolve around 3 or 4 basic styles with many variations of those same 3-or 4 styles. Many have that as I call it 'wagon wheel style' which I hate!

I like the wheels on this car:

But I can't find anything even close to them. There are replicas out there but, way out of my price range.

I like wheels that don't show a lot of what's behind the wheel. I had an idea and was playing with photochop today to get a feel for what it might look like.

Here it is:

So what do you think or ?

Last edited by dortoh; 04-22-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Too many todays
Old 04-22-2009 | 12:56 PM
AkFarina
Banned
maybe if they were black

Old 04-22-2009 | 01:07 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Not sure if it would be an issue or not, but you may want to verify that break cooling wouldn't be an issue with a full wheel like that.

Old 04-22-2009 | 01:40 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
looks horrible, while Konky's on the other hand looks incredible

Old 04-22-2009 | 01:45 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I saw a MINI with "Moon Caps" recently that look something like what you posted. Kind of a "rat rod" look. I'll have to look for the pic. I think it was on m/u.

Old 04-22-2009 | 02:32 PM
AK.JCW
3rd Gear
The wheels on the upper cooper are sweet, but I don't think the moon wheels would work well for brake cooling. I like your cooper, it looks a lot like mine, but there is no way I would roll with the moon wheel look. I have to see my red calipers... Personal opinion of course, to each his own.

Old 04-22-2009 | 02:37 PM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Don't waste your money....

Old 04-22-2009 | 02:42 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dortoh
I like wheels that don't show a lot of what's behind the wheel.
Which usually equates to very heavy, and bad ventilation for brakes, the opposite of why most opt for aftermarket wheels, so the selections will be limited.

Old 04-22-2009 | 03:04 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
I have been looking at the plethora of aftermarket wheels out there ...
Aftermarket wheels?
Please call Meg and ask her if it will void your warranty: 866-ask-mini ext 7970
Seriously. Not kidding here. I'd like EVERYBODY to call her and voice concerns over MINI-USA's official policy.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-to-mods.html

Old 04-22-2009 | 03:20 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Which usually equates to very heavy, and bad ventilation for brakes, the opposite of why most opt for aftermarket wheels, so the selections will be limited.

Meh, the weight and brake ventilation will be perfectly fine for 99% of MINI's. It'd have to be a competitive race car for either of those to truly matter.

I'd keep looking around. There are a bunch of full-face wheels that look better than full moons.

Old 04-22-2009 | 04:23 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
It'd have to be a competitive race car for either of those to truly matter.
It certainly would not, on any spirited drive wheel weight as small as 5lbs has a huge effect on a cars handeling, and brake venting is also alway imprortant. If your not pushing the car and only using it for commuting and trips to the store, then it wouldn't make much difference.

Old 04-23-2009 | 03:13 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
It certainly would not, on any spirited drive wheel weight as small as 5lbs has a huge effect on a cars handeling, and brake venting is also alway imprortant. If your not pushing the car and only using it for commuting and trips to the store, then it wouldn't make much difference.
Mini told me that the reduction in weight is dangerous.
Seriously.
Causes unpredictable handling.

Old 04-23-2009 | 04:43 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Seriously.
lol. you should just put a link to your other thread in your sig

not everyone has **** for a dealership

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:14 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
It certainly would not, on any spirited drive wheel weight as small as 5lbs has a huge effect on a cars handeling, and brake venting is also alway imprortant.
It's not like you can't take your car out on the twisties if you have slightly heavier wheels. Lighter wheels certainly feel a little bit more nimble and they quicken acceleration a small fraction, but it's not like you're being timed on spirited drives and require that fraction of a second gained from lighter wheels.

If you're experiencing heat problems with your brakes on public twisty streets, you've either got a brake problem or need to slow it down a bit on public roads

I've been through a long list of aftermarket wheels on my mini. Large to small...heavy to light. I know there are slight differences, but IMO none of them are important enough to deter someone from buying a wheel that looks good to them . Weight really doesn't take priority unless you're competitively racing your car on a regular basis and really need to knock that second off your last lap time.

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:16 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

I like wheels that don't show a lot of what's behind the wheel. I had an idea and was playing with photochop today to get a feel for what it might look like.
Look around and see if you can find a good set of wheels like the works leadsleds. If you're low enough, I think you can pull off a full face wheel on your MINI for sure. It just needs to be the right stance and the right wheel to look good.

Old 04-23-2009 | 08:32 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Seriously.
I guess all of those race cars with really light wheels can just expect to crash every race.

Old 04-23-2009 | 08:43 AM
gkp
5th Gear
In the "old days" we called them hub caps.

Old 04-23-2009 | 12:52 PM
COKen
3rd Gear
Old 04-23-2009 | 02:25 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
It's not like you can't take your car out on the twisties if you have slightly heavier wheels. Lighter wheels certainly feel a little bit more nimble and they quicken acceleration a small fraction, but it's not like you're being timed on spirited drives and require that fraction of a second gained from lighter wheels.

If you're experiencing heat problems with your brakes on public twisty streets, you've either got a brake problem or need to slow it down a bit on public roads
Of course you can, you can also keep on the stock RFTs as well, but I still find wheel weight makes a huge difference (almost as much as tires) on how the car handles on spirited drives.

As for brakes, if you've ever been on a spirited group cruise, or a very spirited drive through the mountains, you know the more brake ventilation you get the better. I've seen quite a number of fender benders on cruises because of brake fade. The results of poorly ventilated brakes when you push your car can be very ugly.

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:28 AM
dortoh
|
2nd Gear
Crashed in turn four and and ran off the track...

Thanks for all the opinions...Unfortunately not many of them have been about my hubcap idea. I know they are a departure from what most people run on these cars, that was the idea. If I wanted to be the same I would go out and get a set of cookie 'cutter wheels' and be done with it. I like the wheels on the black mini for two reasons:
  1. They look good.
  2. They are different (the main reason).
Many of you are correct on the fact that keeping wheel and tire weight to a minimum is critical when trying to achieve the best handling. This is a basic principal of handling dynamics (un-sprung weight is bad).

As for brakes yes excess heat leads to brake fade. So, yes good ventilation is very important especially in high performance applications.

This is why I pay very close attention to both on my racecar.

My Mini is daily transportation. I do like the way it handles and performs but I don't think I will ever push this car to it's limits, that's what the racecar is for. If I do it will be for a very short time so I don't think I will over heat the brakes.

The reason for this thread was to get opinions on the disc hubcaps and/or maybe someone would offer a source for some wheels similar to the wheels on the black Mini.

Again, thanks for your opinions...

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:24 PM
fspine
1st Gear
Replicas

Dortoh, I have also been looking for the Zender Milanos with no luck....you said you found replicas....can you post a link to them?

The only replicas I have found are 5 lug.

Frank

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:04 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
The first pic of wheels are balling especially lowered looks tight! Go for top ones bottoms only if you are 1/4 miling you car.

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:53 PM
dortoh
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fspine
Dortoh, I have also been looking for the Zender Milanos with no luck....you said you found replicas....can you post a link to them?

The only replicas I have found are 5 lug.

Frank
Hi Frank,
The link is a work, I will post it on Monday. They are BIG $$$$. I think the guy is making them as ordered and some have indicated even at the price they are hard to get.

I will be working on a reasonable alternative that should look very similar. If your interested let me know.

Jeff

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:58 PM
fspine
1st Gear
I am definately interested......what is the big$$ price range?

Last edited by fspine; 04-24-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2009 | 01:02 PM
fspine
1st Gear
bump .... Can you post the link to the Replicas for the Zender Milanos

Quick Reply: R56 Wheels, wheels and more wheels...