R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What to look for...from a different perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
bombguy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for...from a different perspective

Hi, I am very new here and I have a question from a somewhat different perspective. Not the average "what to look for" or " what is going to break down first" thread

My fiance is dead set on getting a MINI within the coming months and I am essentially doing the hunting for her, I just want to make sure we get the best car straight from the purchase. So, my questions are whats packages and options would the be the most sought after that the members here enjoy or can't live without or wish they had gotten themselves? I'm looking for anything like sport packages, leather seats, this particular body style versus another, Nav, etc.

An example would be, had I known about the performance package before I bought my Bimmer, I would have specifically looked for a performance model...due to cam, suspension and interior/exterior sport package differences (Mtech II).

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll find fans here of almost every options, model, and package around here. That's the great thing...and the curse....about MINIs. Few cars are configured the same. I swear we could fill up a dozen pages of thoughts on this (we have, in fact, filled up much more) and you'd still not have a definitive (or particularly useful) answer. Hopefully you'll find something in the discussion that simply rings right for you.

If performance is your thing, start w/ an MCS. I prefer economy...I got a Cooper. Both handle great. It'd be super if you could try out all the options at your MINI dealership, but there are just too many. Beware though...those packages/options make the price go up and up. I prefer to add a few select options (an MFSW being one) on a base car (MC or MCS, depending on what you need) and skip the packages. This seems to keep the price in check while yeilding a wonderful, personally-tailored MINI.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll find countless threads on here on the same or similar questions that you're asking. What that opens is a debate on which options are better than the other, and for every five people that like a certain option/package, you'll find five that don't!
Best thing that I can tell ya is this; Mostly everyone agrees that the cold weather package is a must in colder climates. Track down some MINIs with different packages and take them for a spin. Truly, thats the only way to find what works for you!
Good luck in your hunt!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
bombguy
Neutral
Thanks! Right now, I'm really liking the models with the Aero Kit.

What is the deal with the center speedo display being different on some models? A majority I've seen are an actual speedo, but I saw one that is like a chronograph layout, and the speedo and tach were mounted over the wheel...is that part of a certain package?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
saturn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bombguy

What is the deal with the center speedo display being different on some models? A majority I've seen are an actual speedo, but I saw one that is like a chronograph layout, and the speedo and tach were mounted over the wheel...is that part of a certain package?
That was the conveniently named "chrono-package"

So are you looking for an older model or newer?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean this?

If so, it was called the "Chrono Pack", and was available starting in 2005, and continuing through 2006 for the coupe and 2008 for the convertible. It relocated the speedometer to the steering column, and gave you oil pressure, oil temperature, and coolant temperature gauges, along with a larger fuel gauge. My wife and I have the Chrono Pack on both of our MINIs, mostly because we were disappointed in the lack of gauges in the standard MINI configuration.

Sadly, there's no equivalent option yet for the newer MINIs (07+ coupe, 09+ convertible, or Clubman.)

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 PM
bombguy
Neutral
2007 and above...so I guess the 2nd Gen! We are looking at convertibles too, but I want to make sure we get an updated model. We're buying used as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:03 PM
saturn
4th Gear
2007 and above...so I guess the 2nd Gen! We are looking at convertibles too, but I want to make sure we get an updated model. We're buying used as well.
OK, the "updated" version of the convertible is the 2009 model that just got released.
The R56 (2007-up) has one speedo to choose from.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Lest this get too confusing, here's a quick rundown on the different generations and the model designations. Coming from the BMW world, you're probably familiar with the concept:

"First Generation"
R50 - Cooper Coupe (2002-2006)
R53 - Cooper 'S' Coupe (2002-2006)
R52 - Convertible (both Cooper and 'S') (2005-2008)

"Second Generation"
R56 - Cooper and 'S' coupe (2007 - )
R55 - Clubman and Clubman 'S' (2008 - )
R57 - Convertible (both Cooper and 'S') (2009 - )

Old 04-23-2009, 06:27 AM
katrina1581
1st Gear
Coming from a previous owner of a R53 Sport Package, Premium Package Mini I can tell you right now that the R56 S is perhaps the one I would recommend. My 06 R53 was a little too finicky. The transmission really did not know what gear to be in sometimes, it would downshift harshly under certain braking conditions, the steering was a little too taught for my taste and felt disconnected. The car had one personality but it was still more fun to drive than any other car I have owned. I loved it up until the point it got totaled. Now having said that I have not received my new Mini(R56, Sport, Premium, Red Leather)yet but from several test drives I can tell you it's everything I loved in my old one without the caveats. The new R56 is essentially a car with a split personality all enabled by the pushing of the sport button(causes steering to get tighter and aggressive gear changes). I guess the only thing that I am really going to miss from my R53 is the supercharger's gear whine, although the new one is turbo. So I would say definately get a "S" trim Mini with the creature comforts that you would enjoy.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 PM
bombguy
Neutral
All great information everyone. I really appreciate the input so far!! Oddly enough I was was just reading an article from "Automobile" magazine and it says the '05 and '06 are the years they recommend. I believe, my fiance would like newer, and lower mileage in the end...plus warranty as well!!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 PM
krim
5th Gear
How funny, i read the same article and went to Danny's shop the next day for some service.

Anyway, what's your budget, that'll really dictate your choices.
If you aren't willing to spend $3k on NAV, then that's out. The NAV threads have both pro and con, definitely check that out. Same with leather, I was already at my limit. Body kits, i figured I could add later if I really wanted it. I do recommend the headliner, it makes the interior look smaller, but I really does look cleaner.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Well, if he's still considering buying used, Nav doesn't add anywhere near $3k to the price of a used MINI. Same with the other high-dollar options like leather.

"Stripper" Coopers and Cooper 'S' models (not that *any* MINI is really "stripped") have a very high resale value expressed as a percentage of their original MSRP, but adding a bunch of options really drops the resale value, percentage-wise. Bad news for anyone that buys a new MINI with resale value as a primary consideration, but great news for anyone buying used.