R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a twist for you. Same guy who designed the MINI for it's reintroduction by BMW is behind this car as well. Frank somebody. Found it on Wikipedia I think.

I too saw the episode of Top Gear when Jeremy Clarkson was thrashing about in the supercharged version. For what it's worth he was pretty high on the car within it's niche

That said I'm in no hurry to trade mine in

Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 AM
dortoh
2nd Gear
Fix
It
Again
Tony

Maybe they'll be better this time around...

Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tgs91
Frank somebody.
That would be Frank Stephenson. For anybody who owned an early-model MINI he is a legend!!! And yes, he also designed the new Fiat 500.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
BGA
2nd Gear
my $.02:

Though there will be a bunch of logistics and marketing challanges for FIAT / Chrysler to overcome in the states, I think the Abarth could very well become decent competition for the MINI - and that would be a very good thing for us MINI enthusiasts.
I owned a 1969 850 spyder for several years in the 70s - my experience was that it's reliability was probably not as good as a Dodge Dart from that era - but it was no worse than the typical 60s British products. That FIAT served me well - I enjoyed it!

The primary reasons I bought my 04 S were it's design, that I could afford it, and that it is so fun to drive ~ same was true, at that time, of my 850 Spyder.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8026 here is a R&T article ~ they seem to think it compares favorably with our beloved MINI ...

Last edited by BGA; 05-05-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Competition shouldn't worry anybody. It'll be good.
I don't like the looks of the new 500 and it lags in performance, but it may steal some of the MC sales to people more interested in mileage than style and ride.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FIAT+ALFA+CHRYSLER=> reliability haven

Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The Abarth has only 160 ponies...a long way to go catch up to the Mini S...time will tell...
12 whole horsepowers?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Mezspeed
1st Gear
If it's reliabilty is anything like their other Italian bretheren, (i.e., like the Alfa Romeo I used to own !#*$#!!!) then there won't be a problem. L.O.L.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Mezspeed
1st Gear
His name is Frank Stephenson

Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
+1
Originally Posted by KrautHammer
Barking up the wrong tree guys.

The Alfa Mito is the car to look for and one that I will gladly trade the Mini for.

Sacrilege, stone me now.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by MMMdonut
The Fiat doesn't have the charm or the Youification potential of the MINI either.
Why do you say that? When the Fiat 500 was coming out I was struck by their emphasis on the Youification aspect and in fact the similarity of the marketing to MINI. Take a look at their configurator: http://www.fiat500.com/videoconf/01-EN/main.asp

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KrautHammer
Barking up the wrong tree guys.

The Alfa Mito is the car to look for and one that I will gladly trade the Mini for.

Sacrilege, stone me now.
You know what Jeremy Clarkson says about Alfas right?

"You cannot be a true petrol head until you've owned one but it's like having great sex, that leaves you with an embarrassing itch."

I'm not sure that's a positive advertisement...

But I promise you that if the Mito came over here... I'd at least test drive one.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The Abarth has only 160 ponies...a long way to go catch up to the Mini S...time will tell...
It's also several hundred pounds lighter from the article, so I say it's a good match.

Last edited by yubman; 05-05-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
lotsie
Banned
More small cars are a good thing. I don't see direct competition with MINI for the performance crowd, just the want a small car crowd.

I do like the interior styling, the exterior looks cookie cutter to me.

Mark

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
a small car crowd.
Yes, and if one looks at MINIs from this perspective (perfectly justified), we might as well throw the Nissan Micra in the ring, too.....not sure if we'll see that car here either. If this all starts to happen, though, there are probably lots of small cars, like the 500, that will give MINI a run for it's money for simple, fun, fuel efficient, small-scale driving. Heck the Micra even has four doors!!! Who knows...MINI may choose to compete by bringing the MINI ONE over here!!! On the other hand, automakers might, given the scale of the U.S. market, choose to tune these small cars to an enthusiast level. I'm sure other makers will be (or have been) studying MINIs formula for success over here!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Here is a small little math equation that maybe can clear things up:

FIAT = crap
Chrysler/Dodge = crap

so, crap + crap = a whole lot of crap

I have been to europe many times and have seen the cars there; fiat, opel, ford, peugeot, renault, lada, nissan/datsun, vw, you get the idea. This fiat would not be at the top of my list to introduce to the states. Peugeot and Renault make some really cool cars that perform well and look cool as well. I would be more excited about one of those coming to the states rather than a fiat .

Now some of you may remember both of these companies made attempts to bring their brand to the states and failed miserably, especially Renault. If they brought over a Renault 25 back in the 80s instead of their 505 or 504 sedan, I think they would have made their mark here in the US.

Anyway, I'm driving MINIs as long as I can drive and thats the bottom line. Also I think that many here do share the same feelings about their MINI.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
FIAT = crap
Yup...that'll be very hard to overcome here. Remember many of were concerned about MINI quality (since it was a British car) except for the fact that BMW was building it. Without that level of cred, things might have gone very differently.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I hope they bring back the Yugo, and LeCar next

Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tedbone72P
Anyway, I'm driving MINIs as long as I can drive and thats the bottom line. Also I think that many here do share the same feelings about their MINI.
Absolutely, but liking different cars aren't mutually exclusive. You can like a mini AND a Fiat500. Or like a mini AND a Fiesta (the new Fiesta is a gorgeous car, fyi).

It's a bit naive to say I like MINIs, everything else is crap. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm, but we mustn't make ourselves look like ***** as fans of a brand.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
I'm sure Frank Stephenson designed it to compete with his former employer..

It's gonna appeal to some, but I would say that's it's going more the fuel-miser buyer/base Cooper route than the quirky car that can haul some serious ****...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it would be good if BMW had some stiff competition for the MINI.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gjhsu
Absolutely, but liking different cars aren't mutually exclusive. You can like a mini AND a Fiat500. Or like a mini AND a Fiesta (the new Fiesta is a gorgeous car, fyi).

It's a bit naive to say I like MINIs, everything else is crap. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm, but we mustn't make ourselves look like ***** as fans of a brand.

+1

I bought a 1984 (?) Honda Civic 1500S hatch brand new... and that was it, I thought I'd drive Honda products forever. Loved that car! And the Acuras that followed it. But... then I got a terrific deal on a Lexus. Forget those Hondas, Lexus vehicles for me! If you'd asked me during my Lexus years (owned 2 of them) I wouldn't have been able to think of one reason to ever drive anything else. But... then I tested a MINI. Wow! Reminded me so much of the '71 Mini I owned many years before but brought into the 21st century. Awesome! A MINI owner again and forever.

Times change. Priorities change. New vehicles come and go. To proudly say "I'll never drive anything else!" is short-sighted, in my view. What a boring thought, to drive the same make of car for 25, 30 or more years when there are so many other good or great vehicles out there to try. I love my MINI too, but it's up to BMW and MINI to keep me interested over the long haul. If something else more compelling comes along - well, I'm game.

Keep an open mind and you'll be richer for it.

Personally, I think this Fiat 500 (Abarth version, please!) could be a terrific ride when/if it's sold here. And if it's not? Oh well, I still have my MINI... or... on to the "next big thing" in automobiles.

__________________________________________________ ___

Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
It seems like many of you are missing the point. Don't feel threatened by healthy competition. I read so many posts of mechanical problems with MINIs and if this gets BMW/MINI to get their heads out of their tailpipes, then GREAT! I think it is a neato little car and if they can sell it here, it may just build a cult following, one reason being MINIs are now everywhere and common.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:57 PM
On Purnt
2nd Gear
I'd like to see a horsepower war develop....I think that's something we could ALL enjoy!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
KrautHammer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
You know what Jeremy Clarkson says about Alfas right?

"You cannot be a true petrol head until you've owned one but it's like having great sex, that leaves you with an embarrassing itch."

I'm not sure that's a positive advertisement...
Taking advice from Jeremy Clarkson on what constitutes great sex and associated itches is at best oxymoronic and well beyond the decency limits of this forum.

I'm sticking with the Alfa Mito to kick the Mini's posterior.

There, I blasphemed again, stone me now.

Quick Reply: R56 I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?