R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miniola
I don't know why but this car reminds me of "Hello Kitty"...
+1!!

I knew there was something familiar-looking about it!

Great idea for a new model - The Fiat Cinquecento "Ciao Micio" ("Hello Kitty").

In the spirit of the old Fiat "Topolino" (Mickey Mouse).

BTW, Fiat is planning a new Topolino as a city car or "micro" car, even smaller than the new 500. Target seems to be the Smart car market segment.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...o-ar56770.html

If they offer "Jonas Brothers" or "Hannah Montana" Editions, they will be GOLDEN!
No - - it will mean the end of the world as we know it is near...

Last edited by 33EJB; 05-21-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice thing about the 500....performance aside...is that it appears to be an attempt to offer a (more or less) premium small car. That is good to see. If MINI has proven anything it is that folks are willing to pay for quality in a small car...and I don't see many manufacturers "getting" that.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 PM
miniola
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 33EJB
+1!!

I knew there was something familiar-looking about it!

Great idea for a new model - The Fiat Cinquecento "Ciao Micio" ("Hello Kitty").

In the spirit of the old Fiat "Topolino" (Mickey Mouse).

BTW, Fiat is planning a new Topolino as a city car or "micro" car, even smaller than the new 500. Target seems to be the Smart car market segment.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...o-ar56770.html

No - - it will mean the end of the world as we know it is near...

And "end of the world"... ... I think you're right on about that!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Topmini
3rd Gear
I guess this speaks for itself.
if you crash make sure you dont crash into a big SUV in your little 500, also be carefull with the Front driver side pillar it may break your head open.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
This just in: Chrysler is going to import the Fiat 500 to the US. I think next year. Cool. Looks like a good kid car/chick car to me.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
This just in: Chrysler is going to import the Fiat 500 to the US. I think next year. Cool. Looks like a good kid car/chick car to me.
Ah...I think you might have been snoozing. We've been talking about this for some time...

Last edited by daffodildeb; 07-12-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's with the Audi's Rearview Mirror, it came completely off!! That doesn't look pretty at all, I think Hubby will have to choose another 'next' car for him, the 500 was one he wanted to look at when we are ready to purchase our next Dog Hauler in 2011.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 AM
WestonJCW
3rd Gear
It may be a kid/chick car,but is also Michael Schumacher's car.His daily driver is a 500 Abarth.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WestonJCW
It may be a kid/chick car,but is also Michael Schumacher's car.His daily driver is a 500 Abarth.
Unlike you and me Michael gets paid for taking a dump at a race track ("...Schumacher dumped here." ) so its highly likely that Fiat was the highest bidder and won. A single product endorsement usually yields more than what they earned during their entire career (I made that up but that's not very far from the truth, it depends on how good their agent is). CHA-CHING!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think BMW should be too worried about the Fiat 500, they have clearly stated their desire to stay with a performance-driven, premium, and owner-customizable small car. It seems those aspects are still safely within the MINI domain.

I do think, however, think that the Fiat 500 (and many others cars on the way here) may be more approachable for the masses and, in some regards, may wind up in the end being a better Mini than the MINI. Ironic, isn't it? MINI has, for better or worse, become more BMW than Mini and that's great for some folks....not so much for others.

Of course, this may make no sense to the performance-minded, but for many of us who really keyed into other aspects of the MINI when it initially arrived here, other cars will (and have) offered a real attraction. I doubt if BMW cares as they have got plenty of folks around drinking the performance kool-aid that they will still sell plenty of cars, especially since BMW/MINI always seemed to intend the MINI to be something of a niche car anyway.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since BMW was considering allowing Fiat to sell through MINI dealerships (before the Fiat/Chrysler deal), I doubt they are very worried.

http://www.motoringfile.com/index.php?s=fiat+platform

Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM
bssiesmth
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a Fiat dealership next to my office.

Trust me, the 500 is no competition to a Mini. I could have bought one. It didn't even cross my mind. Too expensive, too slow, too unreliable (even worse than the Mini!).

Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
I personally don't believe that BMW will have an issue mostly due to branding and because many of their products are veblen goods. It is also worth noting that the car industry appears to follow the pattern of a non-collusive oligopoly. Because of this market structure it unlikely that price competition shall play a role. However, it is worth noting that Fiat may try to lure buyers by presenting greater value in their products such as adding standard features that are options on the mini. So in conclusion, I believe that BMW may not be greatly affected by Fiat entering North America.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Alpha Romeo MiTo GTA

Don't think BMW has much to worry about with the 500 or Abarth version. However, check out Alpha's MiTo GTA on their web site. 230hp just to start with and it looks really sharp. It's aimed right at the JCW!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Topmini
if you crash make sure you dont crash into a big SUV in your little 500, also be carefull with the Front driver side pillar it may break your head open.

Yikes, live in fear much?

Don't buy an F150 and hit ANYTHING either, those are proven death traps.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Topmini

And for the exact same reason, don't crash your big SUV into a Kenworth!!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Don't think BMW has much to worry about with the 500 or Abarth version. However, check out Alpha's MiTo GTA on their web site. 230hp just to start with and it looks really sharp. It's aimed right at the JCW!
Wow--you be right:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/22/w...bow-in-geneva/

Wonder when Alfa will take a stab at the US market again. We rented an Alfa 159 last year for 1000 miles in the Alps. Nice car, even as a diesel, and incredible fuel economy, especially given the terrain and Hubby's lead foot. And we were on 2 of the twistiest roads I've EVER been on in any country.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Wow--you be right:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/22/w...bow-in-geneva/

Wonder when Alfa will take a stab at the US market again. We rented an Alfa 159 last year for 1000 miles in the Alps. Nice car, even as a diesel, and incredible fuel economy, especially given the terrain and Hubby's lead foot. And we were on 2 of the twistiest roads I've EVER been on in any country.
Total Bummer! Found a site stating the intro of the MiTo GTA has been delayed/canceled due to the current economy. If true, Alpha is making a huge mistake. That thing is a JCW killer!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 AM
old81
M6
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Total Bummer! Found a site stating the intro of the MiTo GTA has been delayed/canceled due to the current economy. If true, Alpha is making a huge mistake. That thing is a JCW killer!
We shall have to see what develops, don't believe everything you see on the web.

Btw, what is this Alpha? Alfa Romeo is producing the Alfa Mito GTA.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
We shall have to see what develops, don't believe everything you see on the web.

Btw, what is this Alpha? Alfa Romeo is producing the Alfa Mito GTA.
Duh, me spel gut? Whatcha mean? Isn't everything on the web absolute Gospel?
DW

Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
It's okay. He's just spent too much time in his MINEE.

Alfa might be putting things on hold because they'd essentially have to build up an entire dealer network from scratch. Even if they attached to another brand, as they undoubtedly would, they'd still have thousands of mechanics to train, inventory to stock--even signs to make. And they'd have to do it even if they just sold a few, in order to fulfil their commitment to the buyers. It's all expensive, and if even established brands are faltering, it's not surprising that they're holding off. They sold 500 in the U.S. in the last YEAR they were here.

They might also be watching to see what will happen to Fiat. It's another Italian brand that the U.S. didn't cotton to.

It's still a shame--I'd love to see them.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Fiat/Alfa?

I thought Alfa was a part of Fiat, like Ferrari and Maserati. Wrong again?
DW

Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Alfa might be putting things on hold because they'd essentially have to build up an entire dealer network from scratch...

They might also be watching to see what will happen to Fiat. It's another Italian brand that the U.S. didn't cotton to.
Fiat owns Alfa Romeo. There was a rumor that Alfas would be coming to BMW dealers, and that Fiat and MINI would be working together on a sharing major parts (platform, IIRC) for some future model. It isn't surprising that Fiat/Alfa would pull back and reevaluate things after the Chrysler deal. The economic down-turn would probably play a role as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Alfa IS a part, but the technologies are hardly interchangeable in the field. Corporate ownership doesn't mean the Ferrari mechanic will be able to (or want to) work on your Alfa, and I doubt many parts are interchangeable. In fact, I'd really be surprised if Ferrari dealerships would want to have anything to do with Alfa sales, any more than Maser salespeople would want to fool with Puntos, assuming they come over. And the latter two are very small companies, as far as U.S. sales are concerned. How many Ferraris and Maseratis do you see in a week?

(Yeah, I know, I know. But the rest of the country doesn't.)

As for Fiat and Alfa, while they are both big in the rest of the world, they were soured on the U.S., and the U.S. was soured on them, by the time they left. It will be a long climb for both, sports car nuts notwithstanding.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Fiat owns Alfa Romeo. There was a rumor that Alfas would be coming to BMW dealers, and that Fiat and MINI would be working together on a sharing major parts (platform, IIRC) for some future model. It isn't surprising that Fiat/Alfa would pull back and reevaluate things after the Chrysler deal. The economic down-turn would probably play a role as well.
HOOPAA, for once I was right about something!! Just had a deranged thought: Fiat + Chrysler = Fiat Hemi500.

Quick Reply: R56 I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?