R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?

If the much discussed Fiat-Chrysler alliance ever comes to fruition, they will almost certainly bring this to North America:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121677

Direct competition for the MINI, for sure. A very similar "vibe" to the MINI as well - trendy retro looks, a modern interpretation of a very well-loved and fondly-remembered original small car creating a great deal of "buzz" in Europe. I think it could be a huge hit here in N.A. if the sales/marketing were handled properly, as BMW did with the re-born MINI in 2001.

The one downside for this new Fiat is the appalling reliability and rust issues of past Fiat cars here in North America. Anyone of a certain age (like me) will shudder at the mere thought of having a Fiat taking up space in their driveway or garage (which is where they spent most of their time since they were seldom running long enough to be seen on the streets.).

But I'm guessing that most (younger) people in the market for a car such as a MINI or this Fiat have no memory of those bad old days. They are looking for a cute, fun small car with a bit of a trendy cachet that will impress their friends make them feel and look cool.

I can see this Fiat taking a good run at the MINI atop the small car heap. Anyone agree/disagree? Has anybody seen or driven on of these?

__________________________________________________ _____

Old 05-05-2009, 05:54 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will only worry when the FINAL products comes out... talk is CHEAP

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not worried here either. Good competition for the Kia or Smart car maybe, but not the Mini. Screw 'em.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:10 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
1959 500

I bought a brand new Fiat 500 in 1959. It was my second car at 16 years old. I traded in my 1947 dodge oil eater that my father gave me. It got around 50mpg with it's two cylinder engine. I kept it for a year and traded it in on a 1960 English Ford Anglia.
I can still recall some very good times driving around in that little 500.
Ronnie948

Old 05-05-2009, 06:12 AM
MMMdonut
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Eric. The Fiat doesn't have the charm or the Youification potential of the MINI either. IF the Fiat does make it to US shores it won't be for several years, and even then, why should we be worried.

I am a MINI driver for life.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
The Fiat 500 enjoys similar iconic status to the Mini.........and the new 500 was designed by the very same person who designed the new MINI!! It is really pretty cool!! Yes, I think there will be some competition, especially if we see the Abarth version.

Some competition for MINI will be a good thing, but I agree....Fiat will have to overcome some serious consumer mistrust over here. I also agree that, in regards to them being sold here, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I was watching some older episodes of Top Gear and they liked the Fiat500 quite a bit. They were especially impressed w/ the performance model. Could be an interesting import. Not sure if Mini/BMW should be worried though.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
The Fiat looks awesome.

If they brought the Abarth over, and I had a steady income, I'd think about getting one of those to go alongside my Cooper S

Old 05-05-2009, 06:36 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it might compete some (small, great gas mil., european), but would never really appeal to the true enthusiast like Minis (and especially MCS) do. I do think its still a number of years out (2 at least), but I'm glad the US is finally getting the quality sub-compacts Europe has had for decades.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 AM
LTLMCPE
3rd Gear
It is coming to the US, just a matter of time. Depends on how quickly the Chrysler deal gets completed. And when it comes hopefully the Abarth version is there!
The 500 and MINI will compete on some levels, but for many I would think they wouldn't consider both.

Happy Motoring!

Jim

Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 AM
wingnut537
1st Gear
Nope no worries

c/p from the article

It doesn't quite propel the Fiat 500 into the same performance territory occupied by the Mini Cooper, but manages to pull the 500 to 100 kph (62 mph) in 10.5 seconds and on to a top speed of 113 mph.

garbage ! ! ! !

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the little Alpha would be more competition than the 500. Still, I can't help but think that having more GOOD small cars here is a good thing.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
I love how they say it is like an ipod on wheels and then have windows logos/hardware installed.

I also think it looks like an ordinary car and other than a name for nostalgia will not stand out. Think of the new Pontiac GTO. It was only a GTO by name other than that it looks like a Bonneville. I see this going to the Prius/Smart fans, which is starting to buy MINIs also. I don't see them going to the typical MINI enthusiast although.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I don't think it can beat the MINI. Which, I think, is truly iconic.
Look for two items...
quality, and
price.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
Problem for them is the overwhelmingly negative association Americans have (fairly or unfairly) with the name Fiat. And if they're further associated with Chrysler? Well... I'd say BMW/MINI aren't feeling too worried.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 AM
KrautHammer
2nd Gear
Barking up the wrong tree guys.

The Alfa Mito is the car to look for and one that I will gladly trade the Mini for.

Sacrilege, stone me now.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 AM
katrina1581
1st Gear
I'm glad another Euro sub compact may be crossing the pond. Can we get Ford to bring over the Mondeo?

Last edited by katrina1581; 05-05-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
There's lots of reasons people buy MINIs....for some of these the Fiat 500 will be a great fit. Others (even some enthusiasts) will be attracted by the tuned Abarth version. Trust me, I have friends who own Minis and MINIs who are just waiting for this car to get here. I'd love to see the 500 succeed in the U.S...design-wise it is a winner. I just don't know if it's had many reliability issues. On the other hand, it's been built for several years. Yes, it'd be new to us, but still have a pretty good track record abroad.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 AM
katrina1581
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I was watching some older episodes of Top Gear and they liked the Fiat500 quite a bit. They were especially impressed w/ the performance model. Could be an interesting import. Not sure if Mini/BMW should be worried though.
They were impressed with the ABARTH 500 SS but then disappointed with the lack of lunacy ABARTH implemented by creating a fully functional car. That episode is pretty hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXALDprqcuc

I don't think its direct competition for the Mini in the area of performance. The base model is god awful slow, like a Smart. At a stretch the Abarth 500 would be be competing with Justacoopers and the Abarth 500 SS isn't even close to a Mini S let alone a JCW. Looks wise it has the look, but when people here in the states who don't know the heritage of the Fiat 500 look at it and compare it to a Mini as a sort of standard they'll buy just that, the standard. I suspect that because this will cannibalize PT Cruiser sales that they will rebrand it under that moniker.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by freez3
I don't think it can beat the MINI. Which, I think, is truly iconic.

Yes, the Mini is now an iconic vehicle. But that status was achieved mostly outside of the US. Original BMC Minis were quite rare in the U.S., they were only imported for about 5 or 6 years, if memory serves. Less than 10,000 sold, total, in the US. Most people in the States never saw one on the road "back in the day". MINI's have become an icon in the U.S. since their re-introduction by BMW. For most people there was little consciousness of them before that.

They were much more popular in Canada where they had a long run. And of course they were wildly successful in Europe and especially Britain.

What's my point? Well the original Fiat 500 was never sold in the U.S. Very few came to Canada. Yet they were extremely popular in Europe and especially, of course, in Italy. The Abarth versions were similar in vibe to the Coopers and gave a halo-effect to the whole model range. They really transcended their humble origins in the minds of the public, just like the original Mini.

Right now most people in North America have little (no) recognition or memory of the Fiat 500 or Abarth brands, just like the Mini and Cooper names in the late '90s before BMW re-introduced those names to the U.S. in 2001. Think back to 1998, let's say. How many of you then would have thought you would ever buy a Mini? Most would have said "a what??" or "you mean that boxy little English piece of **** they used to sell here 30 years ago? Why would I want one of those?" Kinda like the opinions most now have re: Fiat and the new 500.

I just think that BMW had better be on their game in the next few years or this little Fiat could take a huge bite out of MINI sales and popularity, especially (as I said before) with younger buyers who don't now associate the Fiat name with the word "crap".

Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 AM
33EJB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by protoculture
Problem for them is the overwhelmingly negative association Americans have (fairly or unfairly) with the name Fiat. And if they're further associated with Chrysler? Well... I'd say BMW/MINI aren't feeling too worried.

Kind of like the overwhelmingly negative association that Americans had with the name Volkswagen back in the 1950's? (you know, that whole Adolph Hitler thing and all...) GM, Ford and Chrysler weren't feeling too worried either - - but they should have been!!

I'm just sayin'...

__________________________________________________ ___

Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
I don't know...3.2 inches higher than the Mini? That gives it a higher center of gravity...the Mini would still hug the corners better than the Fiat, I think (at least stock).

Then again, I know absolutely nothing about car mechanics !

Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Does this mean that Hollywood will make a movie called The English Job with a Fiat 500 as the 'car star'

I had a '79 Fiat Spider. While the car itself was a lot of fun it was a mechanical nightmare the 18 months that I owned it. We won't even talk about the rust...

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM
On Purnt
2nd Gear
I've been following this for a while now, I don't think it should be viewed as a problem but a good thing. Competition brings out the best in a car company. Perfect example is the G35 vs. the BMW 3 Series. After the G35 came out with more horsepower & features per $, BMW finally took notice they were directly targeted for competition and released the current 3 Series (not to mention ze uber M3) which is not only a beautiful piece of work, but snatched up almost every award for design.

I think competition from Fiat will be a good thing for MINI .

I also think the 500 is busted in comparison to the MINI.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 33EJB
I can see this Fiat taking a good run at the MINI atop the small car heap. Anyone agree/disagree? Has anybody seen or driven on of these?

__________________________________________________ _____
I drove one home from work last year...beautiful inside and out (especially inside)...zero zip, can barely get across an intersection before light turns red, zero handling...strickly a commuter car

The Abarth has only 160 ponies...a long way to go catch up to the Mini S...time will tell...

Quick Reply: R56 I think BMW should be worried... what do you think?