R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI solves COLD START ISSUE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOOT! WOOT!

So who's going to be the first to put their engine at the mercy of their dealer?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since BMW/MINI will be applying the fix on a case-by-case basis, the challenge now for many in the MINI motoring crowd is going to be re-creating the rattle for the MA. They are likely to want hard evidence that your MINI is afflicted prior to investing in the repairs.

There's a thread somewhere discussing ways to do this...

...ahh yes, here it is:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-dealer.html

Best of success to all in eliminating their death rattles!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know how anxious I am to have my engine torn into this much, I may live with it for now, it hasn't done it since the weather finally warmed up a bit, but I also haven't done the short run - park for a while - restart routine either.

I don't understand why any dealer would ever give anyone grief about doing a warranty repair, that's simply money in their pocket, unless MINIUSA were giving them grief about their high warranty claims. Still, service to the customer has to come first.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
lotsie
Banned
Well it looks more promising than the sun roof fix, which involves motoring a block or 2, to even out temperatures, then open the Sun roof

Mark

Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I don't know how anxious I am to have my engine torn into this much, I may live with it for now, it hasn't done it since the weather finally warmed up a bit, but I also haven't done the short run - park for a while - restart routine either.

I don't understand why any dealer would ever give anyone grief about doing a warranty repair, that's simply money in their pocket, unless MINIUSA were giving them grief about their high warranty claims. Still, service to the customer has to come first.
The factory has reduced remuneration amounts for service and warranty work to combat the global recession blues.
The proverbial belt has been tightened.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
The factory has reduced remuneration amounts for service and warranty work to combat the global recession blues.
The proverbial belt has been tightened.
The other side of the coin is that this issue may be partly responsible for why my dealer is offering 1500 dollars of of MCS and JCW autmobiles along with 1.9 financing, but the extra 1500 dollar incentive is not available for the MC.

My dealer had a chili red MCS with only one option cruise control, which was how I'd like it. With 1500 off it was only 21,950. I toyed around with trading my 07 MC in for it. Ran the numbers, I could have financed it for almost nothing like 60 bucks a month for 36 months. This issue stopped me 'cold'.

Being a tight wad and making everyone jump through hoops isn't going to help their sales. They need to be forthcoming about the problem and get them fixed and restore a somewhat tarnished reputation in this area.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:15 AM
pillar
5th Gear
do you think a video of you, vin, time, temp and the car chattering will be good enough evidence?

seeing that summer is practically here... i cant imagine it happening as often as it did during the winter.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
What ever happened to "recalls"? Was it only American car makers that had to recall and fix each one of their cars when they had bad seatbelts, tires, transmissions, etc?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
The alternative to not getting this fix done, seams to be that your engine will eventually have to be replaced, I don't think its going to take much to convince your MA, and if it does, it won't be to long till there's a recall.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
EMY-RDL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
What ever happened to "recalls"? Was it only American car makers that had to recall and fix each one of their cars when they had bad seatbelts, tires, transmissions, etc?
There are recalls all the time for every car; MINI already had one to "fix" the exhaust that was too long and burning people. They also recalled some JCW models to replace smaller breaks with bigger ones. Most of the time there are small recalls and don't make the news. Personally I don't ever want to be driving a car that needs a recall that makes national headlines; it seems as though injury and death usually goes along with that.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Hopefully the recall will be forthcoming...

Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Was it only American car makers that had to recall and fix each one of their cars when they had bad seatbelts, tires, transmissions, etc?
Recalls happen elsewhere as well. I had a Lancia recalled in England for tie rod ends that could go bad.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
A known problem like this should be covered forever whether the warranty expires or not. Some might not have a problem with this for years after the warranty expires.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Topmini
3rd Gear
well to answer your point no, some japanese car makers like nissan have made recals worldwide, ford also with their terrible ford explorer exploding tires (a friend of my dad had an accident and got reinbursed in excess of 1million for the accident, but this was firestones fault)

anyhow, about the tailpipe recal i asked my SA (i live in mexico) and he said he didnt know anything about it, i asked him about the warped hoodscoop and he said they were changing those because it was obvious defect.

now, i recently saw something strange though. seeing that im going constantly to the dealer since THEY CRASHED MY CAR....
i noticed that all the new minis had their tailpipes shorter, so they just probably changed the new ones with the recalled part from usa to all the minis worldwide, but no recall was done in mexico as far as im concerned.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM
EMY-RDL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
A known problem like this should be covered forever whether the warranty expires or not. Some might not have a problem with this for years after the warranty expires.
+1

Old 05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Looks like the complete solution, but how can we test it during the Spring/Summer time?

Should I wait till temp<40F?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
History suggests this won't happen unless it is an unambiguous and widely attributable safety issue. To wit, a partial list of issues that never resulted in a recall but were mitigated either by replacement parts with an improved design or altogether jettisoned in later model years:

1. Midlands tranny
2. CVT
3. Deformable strut towers
4. EHPS pump
5. EHPS pump fan
6. Passenger side motor mount ('05/'06)
7. Melting bonnet scoop ('07+)
8. Freezing throttle body (07+)
9. Bonnet latch release (07+)

...etc, etc...

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
lawnboy
4th Gear
Well, cannot think of an automaker that hasn't had a national headline recall. Nothing wrong with a recall, all depends on how the automaker chooses to handle it and in the long run, can actually boost the image of the automaker. Now those that try to cover it up and make it difficult for the consumer to get the repair addressed, we all know how that turns out.

Originally Posted by EMY-RDL
Personally I don't ever want to be driving a car that needs a recall that makes national headlines.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
EMY-RDL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Well, cannot think of an automaker that hasn't had a national headline recall. Nothing wrong with a recall, all depends on how the automaker chooses to handle it and in the long run, can actually boost the image of the automaker. Now those that try to cover it up and make it difficult for the consumer to get the repair addressed, we all know how that turns out.
True; I was thinking more along the lines of headlines due to major problems/injuries, like the car catching on fire or the Firestone tire thing.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Defcon888
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Have you guys tried submitting to NHTSA?

For example, the 2002-2005 Land Rover Range Rovers (vehicled created and owned at the time by BMW) had a transmission issue where the front diff would blow up due to a misaligned shaft. After many years of complaints, NHTSA finally forced a recall despite BMW's attempts at masking or denying the issue.

Now of course, theres no evidence of a failed engine... but perhaps with more and more complaints, BMW will have to do Something about it.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:33 AM
rnwcc99
1st Gear
Cold Start Issue

Hello everyone on the NAM forum,

I've been lurking and learning here on this great forum for a year or so, and I'm getting close to ordering a MCS. One week I'm sure I want a PW/B and the next week I'm sure I'm buying a CR/B. Life shouldn't have to be so stressful.

Back to the topic. If it's true that mini has solved the "cold start" issue, is there a particular production date to look for so a buyer would know the problem with the timing chain tensioner was addressed? Would it be safe to assume cars produced from this point in time (05/2009) would have the necessary fix?

I woud greatly appreciate and thoughts or info....Thanks.....

Last edited by rnwcc99; 05-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:42 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Defcon888
For example, the 2002-2005 Land Rover Range Rovers (vehicled created and owned at the time by BMW) had a transmission issue where the front diff would blow up due to a misaligned shaft. After many years of complaints, NHTSA finally forced a recall despite BMW's attempts at masking or denying the issue.
hey Defcon U better brush up on yr automotive history. After purchasing Rover AG/Mini in 1994, BMW broke up and sold the Rover brand--minus Mini--to Ford in 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_rover

as far as "solving" the cold start issue, what good is it when many dealers are still denying there's a problem?

Last edited by sequence; 05-16-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
You have to first differentiate between a recall and a technical service bulletin. A recall is safety related only period. If no one has died, been injured, or the like, a recall will not occur. A technical service bulletin is a product update. Has anyone ever read the fine print att he bottom of a TSB. It states that all normal warranties apply, meaning that there is a modifacation to some component of the car and they are making a production change, or update if you will. There are ways, however, to get what you want out of warranty, but you must complain, and complain, and complain. Remember, most of the time, under good will, the dealer will have to contribute something to the repair. Don't **** the dealer off that you want to help you. Your anger must be sent to Mini and use the dealer as your friend.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by nickminir56
Looks like the complete solution, but how can we test it during the Spring/Summer time?

Should I wait till temp<40F?
Nick,

I dupicated the problem at it was not temperature related, although it was around 40F, perhaps 38F. Check out thread #200 here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2709750

Quick Reply: R56 MINI solves COLD START ISSUE!