R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Got Clubman S loaner during service some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Clubman S loaner during service some questions

Hey all,

I took my car for service today and they gave me 08 Clubman S auto.

I loved the car, but I have a few questions.

First off I really like that the floor in the boot is level with the seats when they fold.
It is an attachment that is like a foldable floor which goes into these rail that hold it. It can be taken out to have a normal floor, or it can be folded just to get access to the compartment created bellow.
I found this on RealOem

I'm talking about #3 which holds in place by #4.

So, is this available for a regular hardtop MCS?
If its not do you think it can be retrofitted from the clubman to the hardtop?
Is the cargo area/size/dimensions the same. I know clubman is larger, but isn't mostly due to the extra room for rear passengers?

Next question is about driving. I like the auto transmission but I cold not get used to the paddles. I cannot shift on time with them. I guess its just a matter of getting used to it.

What was strange for me is the accelerator pedal. It is as if it has 2 stages to it. I would floor it and it would go all the way down and I feel that it stopped, but then I can push it further and it's like an extra click or extra step or something and it goes about another half and inch, maybe less.

Is that an automatic transmission thing on these cars? Or is that something new? My 07 MCS manual does not do that.

Just some other observations. Love the power fold mirrors! I have cold weather but now power fold mirrors

I really like that when you press sport it shows up on display on the tach

Overall the car does not seem much bigger when driving. It is just as nimble and fun to drive

Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
bump

Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
I notice one of those two-stage pedal (like a camera shutter button) on the Acura I drove on the weekend. I'm not sure if it's the same as the MINI, but on the Acura with an automatic, it was to force the transmission to downshift. So floor it all the way until it clicks to the floor, and it automatically downshift. Floor it, but not enough to "click" the second stage and... it just goes WOT. Not necessary on the manual transmission.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you didn't press the sport button -- sport mode affects both throttle and shift-point/speed on automatic.

I got a 09 328i loaner the other day. While overall the car is quite good, but that awfully laggy throttle in D mode drives me nut:

From a standing start, there is always 1+ secs delay before any power comes in, and you need at least press 1/4 throttle to show your commitment to the ECU. Then the auto start to downshift and you got overtaken by a branch of delivery vans and toyotas .

After half an hour of D mode, I had enough and switch to DS(Sport). Guess what? There is a lots of noise but still no real power until 5k rpm, and I end up use 3+ times as much fuel as my MCSa to cover the same route@same speed(~60mph).

On the other hand, 335i has virtually instant on power and no lag in D mode. NA engine should have less lag in theory but who knows what BMW has done to 328i.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
darmog
4th Gear
It's just the kickdown/overboost feature that'll downshift and give you a bit more torque/hp.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
ok so the gas pedal is an automatic thing.

Anyone has any info on the level floor?
It would be a very cool thing to have

Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
lhwelch
2nd Gear
Flat Floor

The accessories catalog that came with my 07 MCSm shows a "boot box" that drops into the floor recess and has a cover that matches the height of the floor with the seat backs down. It looks pretty neat but costs $236 from the dealer.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
Yea, I know about that box, but its just not the same. The Clubman folding floor is just way more sophisticated.

I came across this some time ago, but it just seems too expensive

Although I think its better than the boot box and less expensive.

Now I wish someone came up with a good DIY for it.

I'm not crafty at all, so its not likely to be me

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I want to know more about the Trunk Maker. Anybody have one? Will it support my 60 lb dog?

Has anyone created a template for a piece of wood that we might plop in there to serve as a level surface?

Some enterprising dude could make some serious money on this. MINI's charging $256.00 for the boot box that appears to collapse under any decent-sizzed load and the Trunk Master, although cheaper, is still waaaaay over-priced. Somebody with tool skills should be able to assemble something that would fit in back for under $20. Price it under $100 and you'd make a fortune.