R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Traded in the GTI, just got a 09 MCS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an A3 before my MCS, the only thing I really miss is DSG, absolutely the greatest transmission you can drive. Aside from that yes the build quality was way better on the Audi (not bad, just the Audi was much better), but I find the MCS a bit more fun to drive.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
coreygo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
The GTI is availble with some of those options you mentioned, they are not standard on either car. On the GTI, Bluetooth is available for a few hundred bucks and my GTI has auto lights and auto wipers (neither of which I use). The back seats are pretty small on the GTI, but they seem like a limo compared to the MINI. The trunk is also well over 2x the size.
Weird, when I almost bought an 09 GTI with the Autobahn package and Navi it still didn't have auto lights, wipers, or rear mirror. The Bluetooth OEM option was $750 installed. This makes the MCS seem awesome in comparison.

However I agree, build quality was definitely better on the GTI. I've got loads of buzzes and rattles in the MCS, pressing on the left air vent exhaust and pressing on the head liner to the right of the control panel temporarily stops two of mine. My first rattles didn't crop up on the GTI for at least a year.

I wouldn't hesitate taking keys for either car though. Despite them being in the same class and all that they definitely have two completely different personalities.

I'd like to get the perf up just a bit on the MCS and then I think it'll totally kill my 06 GTI.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
My mistake, they must have gotten rid of some features on the '09 GTI, but my '08 R32 has a bunch of stuff and I'd guess the '08 GTI would have the same features. The bluetooth can be installed yourself pretty easily and the parts are only like $2-300 for OEM.

Depsite some of the MINI's shortcomings, it's still much more fun to drive for me and I've had the car 9 months longer than our R32. I can't wait to get the JCW power kit for it!

I forgot to mention, VW service blows while MINI service is typically pretty damn good. It's nice getting a loaner or rental while having something fixed for free on your car.

Originally Posted by coreygo
Weird, when I almost bought an 09 GTI with the Autobahn package and Navi it still didn't have auto lights, wipers, or rear mirror. The Bluetooth OEM option was $750 installed. This makes the MCS seem awesome in comparison.

However I agree, build quality was definitely better on the GTI. I've got loads of buzzes and rattles in the MCS, pressing on the left air vent exhaust and pressing on the head liner to the right of the control panel temporarily stops two of mine. My first rattles didn't crop up on the GTI for at least a year.

I wouldn't hesitate taking keys for either car though. Despite them being in the same class and all that they definitely have two completely different personalities.

I'd like to get the perf up just a bit on the MCS and then I think it'll totally kill my 06 GTI.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
I'm looking to trade the 07 Red New Beetle Convertible for the 2010 GTI 2008 R32. That is my pick...The wife wants a R52 VERT...

My response...Don't you have enough MINIs now!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I think the new R GTI is going to be the "R20" or whatever, using the driveline from the S3/TT-S. It'll be faster and lighter, but it won't have that sweet gas guzzling VR6.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
coreygo
2nd Gear
I think the new R GTI is going to be the "R20" or whatever, using the driveline from the S3/TT-S. It'll be faster and lighter, but it won't have that sweet gas guzzling VR6.
Yeah R32 is dead, R20 is the best bet, but I don't think it'll have quattro. TTS is the car to get really.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Prost
4th Gear
...On the GTI, Bluetooth is available for a few hundred bucks and my GTI has auto lights and auto wipers (neither of which I use)...
Bluetooth is available on GTI (factory option, not aftermarket)? What year is yours?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Congrats on your S!

One thing though - You can pretty much forget 240whp without extreme mods, but 240lbs wheel torque is very doable!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM
BostonJohn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by coreygo
I've got loads of buzzes and rattles in the MCS, pressing on the left air vent exhaust and pressing on the head liner to the right of the control panel temporarily stops two of mine. My first rattles didn't crop up on the GTI for at least a year.
Buzzes and rattles.... you must not be turning the radio up enough

But seriously, my door locks buzz when unlocked, however, if I lock everything it goes away. Thats the only thing I notice but I typically have music playing anyway.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Heat Racer
1st Gear
As someone that is currently researching to decide between buying a Mini or a GTI later this year, this thread has been very helpful, and yet, not helpful at all, haha. It is good for me to get some comparison between the two from someone that's had experience with both. I just keep flip-flopping between the classic looks, fuel economy, and handling of the Mini vs. the greater practicality, DSG, and better price deal of the GTI.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
What took you so long? We were all getting tired of waiting for you to join the club.

I considered the VW but was scared of its reliability (from all the things Ive read). I didn't even bother to test drive it.

Welcome aboard.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Sabastian
1st Gear
I've driven the GTI with both transmissions as well as the R32, and I agree that the VW's feel really grown-up. That can be nice on a long freeway cruise, but I never felt like I wanted to toss it down a twisty road. As for DSG, I really respect the technology, but everytime I get out of a Mini, I am grinning ear-to-ear. That's the difference for me.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:07 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabastian
I've driven the GTI with both transmissions as well as the R32, and I agree that the VW's feel really grown-up. That can be nice on a long freeway cruise, but I never felt like I wanted to toss it down a twisty road. As for DSG, I really respect the technology, but everytime I get out of a Mini, I am grinning ear-to-ear. That's the difference for me.
I agree with that, the other side of course is as much as I love driving my MCS on twisties and around town, if its a long hwy drive with the wife and kid, I always take my other car.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 AM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
i traded my mrkV GTI on an R56 S. And the wife has an 07 GLI with DSG.
Fun to drive winner is the cooper S. VW mrkV cars feel more solid and better put together. Steering, braking feel, and throttle response feel more connected and inviting in the Cooper S.
All depends on what you are looking for in a car.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Good choice of colors dude. I don't really like the R57's but if I were to get an R57 is would be the grey with black stripes.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
coreygo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
You can pretty much forget 240whp without extreme mods, but 240lbs wheel torque is very doable!
Yeah, upon further reading maybe I can do 210whp with minor mods. I guess the engine size doesn't quite match the 2.0T from the GTI. Then again it gets better gas mileage.

Originally Posted by BostonJohn
Buzzes and rattles.... you must not be turning the radio up enough.
LOL, funny you mention that, I finally went on a joy ride and turned up the MP3's and sure enough everything around the speakers was vibrating and rattling.

Originally Posted by Heat Racer
As someone that is currently researching to decide between buying a Mini or a GTI later this year, this thread has been very helpful, and yet, not helpful at all, haha.
What can I say. Any questions feel free to PM. But honestly I think you pretty much have to decide after a couple drives in each. Do two in each.

Get GTI DSG if you need something more practical. From what I can tell it's more mod friendly anyway so you could potentially add the fun back in over the MCS.

If you're getting a manual, no questions I'd get the MCS.

On the other hand the GTI is definitely much more solid and honestly the better car. I say that even now that I'm in the MCS. And this isn't something against the MCS, it's just the GTI is cheaper, more practical, more solid, has a much more luxurious interior.

The MCS though has a special quality that the GTI lacks, I mean it's just got personality. Something I bet old GTI owners will understand . I think the Scirroco that isn't coming to the US would probably be the perfect middle.

Originally Posted by SmokeM
I considered the VW but was scared of its reliability (from all the things Ive read). I didn't even bother to test drive it.
I've read just as many things about the MCS. I'm a little worried about it now that I've really experienced the build quality of mine.

The MkV's in VW's line really should shake any previous quality issues. My GTI was absolutely perfect. Never a single minor issue. No electrical problems, no window problems. And with 09's having 3/36 included service that's even better.

Originally Posted by Sabastian
I think I still prefer the DSG, especially over MCS's automatic. The manual fun factor is growing on me. I really loved the GTI around twists and corners it was great, it just lacked that go kart feel with the lightness of foot.

What it comes down to is whether you prefer a more "mature" "I'm older now but not lost the kid in me" kind of car. If you do get the GTI, if not the MCS.

Originally Posted by minirooferS
Good choice of colors dude. I don't really like the R57's but if I were to get an R57 is would be the grey with black stripes.
I did happen to always like this combo before buying it. Would see them around all the time and kept lusting. I had the Black Magic Pearl on the GTI. Don't think I'll be doing black again .

Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Heat Racer
As someone that is currently researching to decide between buying a Mini or a GTI later this year, this thread has been very helpful, and yet, not helpful at all, haha. It is good for me to get some comparison between the two from someone that's had experience with both. I just keep flip-flopping between the classic looks, fuel economy, and handling of the Mini vs. the greater practicality, DSG, and better price deal of the GTI.
I think the deciding factor should be how you will use it, the Mini is more fun, better fuel economy, superior handling, and the better city car. GTI is more well rounded, more powerful (straight line) and the better highway car. That being said even though I live in NYC if I could only own one car it would not be a Mini (a GTI would be in the running though). However now is not the really the best time IMHO to buy a GTI, with the MKVI is coming in 2010.