R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ordering a 09 MINI S - which tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Ordering a 09 MINI S - which tires?

Should I get the all seasons, or are they bad in winter? Normally I'd just get standard performance tires that come on my cars, but I wanted to ask because I hear the standard tires are runflats?! Dont really care for the added weight and performance loss. I am not sure what tires come on these cars because the website doenst say.

Maybe I should get the all-seasons for winter and then buy a nice summer tire? Or should I stick with the oem tire and buy winter tires for winter?

Seems a shame to buy this zippy little car and then use all-season tires.

BTW, I'm buying the 17" bullet rims.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rats. I always forget the answer to this one, but I'm pretty sure the dealership will not let you take delivery of the MINI without runflats. The S-models do not have a spare, so runflats are not optional at delivery.

Now after you get him/her home, tire selection is based on your driving necessities and climate. I'm on perf. summers here in Arizona & love them.
Much more info in the Tires, Wheels, & Brakes sub-forum.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was very satisfied with the performance of the all-season runflats. I took delivery in early November, and the only thing that kept me off the road was about 15" of snow everywhere. I don't plan on switching to different tires so long as I'm in an environment that actually has seasons.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
If you plan to drive in any amount of snow in the winter, get winter tires. The cost of a set of winter tires is probably less than what you'd pay on one insurance claim, and the difference with winter tires is noticeable, even in heavy rain. If you live in a place with a winter where it's cool and there's a chance of snow, get winter tires (you're considering two sets of tires anyways). If you have a short winter, you can always switch them off earlier. In fact, you're not really paying (much) more because while you have your winter tires on, your summer tires aren't seeing any wear.

I've never driven with summer tires so I can't really comment summer vs. all-season. I will say that the runflats, while not terrible, are noticeably worse than "regular" tires.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM
bottomfeeder1
2nd Gear
I wrestled w/this question as well & my MA told me that both the performance & all season tires offered are run flats. He recommended that I go w/the performance tires, so I did. I live in a snowy area, so intend to get snow tires for the winter.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
I have a cooper with 15in all season non runflats and a s with 17 summer runflats. The ride difference is so small that I would not let that change which tire you get. One thing to note is that the all seasons have a higher tread wear rating 400 vs 280 on the OEM 17in tire so then will last longer. I live in GA but wanted the all seasons for better wet performance and tire life but had to get the summer since my wheels did not have the option of all seasons.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I didnt know both were runflat, that sucks.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
bottomfeeder1
2nd Gear
Yeah, I think so, too! From what I've read, the non run flats ride better, last longer and cost less. I should have my MCS in about a month or so and I'll find out then just how rough they ride.

I've also read that the suspension on the r56 has been improved, making the run flats a little less harsh riding. We'll see.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I don't know how you're ordering your car but one thing to think about is getting the stock wheels/tires and saving what money you'd spend on 17"wheels and just getting aftermarket wheels and nonRF summer tires. You could then sell the new wheels/tires (RF tires are expensive, like $250/ea) or if you want winter, buy winter tires, keep the rims, and just sell the RF tires. The point being that upgrading your MINI wheels costs way more than buying aftermarket, probably twice as much. The make their dough on options. New RF tires easy to sell because current owners often want to replace with RFs and once they see how much they cost........

Old 06-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I accidentally got all seasons (runflats) with Quentin, they were horrible, no grip at all, it put me off runflats for life. I put real tires on the MINIs now.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
I have a cooper with 15in all season non runflats and a s with 17 summer runflats. The ride difference is so small that I would not let that change which tire you get.
Not my experience at all. Going from the factory supplied Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST summer runflats on Crown Spoke wheels to Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 205/45-17 non-runflats on my 2007 MCS made a significant difference is ride comfort.

Also bought a second set of wheels in 16x7" size and 205/55-16 non-runflat tires. There is also a noticeable difference between the 17" and 16" in ride comfort.

I sold my Crown Spoke 17x7 factory wheels and runflats here on the NAM marketplace forum.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably order an MCS with 16" wheels or an MC with 15" wheels, sell the tires asap and put snow tires on them. For summer I'd get Rota Slipstream 16x7 and put Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 205/50-16 non-runflats on them. Or, if I wanted the low sidewall look, 17x7.5 Rotas.

I have come to believe that any performance gain you get from the shorter sidewall of a 17" wheel/tire combo is offset by the heavier wheel weight. Also, the taller sidewall will protect your wheels more from potholes.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM
davekmd
1st Gear
Impressed with the all-season run flats

I just got an 09 MCS hardtop with the all-season run flats and I gotta tell you I'm pretty impressed, especially with grip in the rain. Here in DC, it's rained for most of May and thus far June and those tires are pretty darn good. I had a bias against run-flats, but to be honest they seem pretty good. Dry grip is very good too. I haven't hammered any corners just yet, but hitting the roads I normally hit, I can tell the car has tenacious grip and this from run-flats.

What I did was order the car with the all-season run flats and then get aftermarket wheels and tires. I'm just getting ready to swap out the stock 16" wheels/tires with non-run flats in 16". I figure I'll run the 'summer' tires for 8 or 9 months and run the stock wheels/tires for the winter. That's my plan anyway.