R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Exhaust Mod to Allow Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 PM
BentChainring
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Mod to Allow Spare Tire

Hey all,

Just wondering two things...

a) has anyone just eliminated the rear muffler under their MCS? Is there a large noticeable change in sound? From my volvo days, the rear muffler did basically nothing on the turbo'd cars, since much of he engine noise was eliminated in the turbo. Wondering if this is the same on the MCS.

b) If you have taken off your rear muffler, has anyone thought about rerouting the exhaust to allow the use of a spare tire? I am still looking for a space saver spare, but once I pick one up, I can start to see if this is even possible. If theres enough room, it should only be a matter of a few bends to go around the spare, then produce a bracket (unless the factory bracket works.). Maybe a good Saturday project...

Thoughts?

Last edited by BentChainring; 06-04-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
This will be interesting to see, I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet. Even though it's pretty straight-forward, I would think you're inviting warranty troubles by removing a part. Here in CA, part of the smog check criteria is to check for unaltered exhaust systems, so once the car's over 6 years old and starts getting inspected, there'll a problem with the modification.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
BentChainring
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ken G.
This will be interesting to see, I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet. Even though it's pretty straight-forward, I would think you're inviting warranty troubles by removing a part. Here in CA, part of the smog check criteria is to check for unaltered exhaust systems, so once the car's over 6 years old and starts getting inspected, there'll a problem with the modification.
Warranty issues would certainly be afoot, but theres only about another year of that.

As far as CA law is concerned, I believe that as long as the emissions systems are in order, there should not be a problem with modifications to the exhaust. and, it meets a sound requirement, whatever that is. If I were to replace it with an anftermarket cat-back system, it may not have a final muffler back there, but I am pretty sure it would still be legal... thoughts?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BentChainring
As far as CA law is concerned, I believe that as long as the emissions systems are in order, there should not be a problem with modifications to the exhaust. and, it meets a sound requirement, whatever that is. If I were to replace it with an anftermarket cat-back system, it may not have a final muffler back there, but I am pretty sure it would still be legal... thoughts?
Yes, as long at the aftermarket system was on the CARB approved list, you'd be OK.

I've got a copy of the CA smog check inspection manual and in the visual inspection section it states "To pass inspection, the required emission control system(s) must be complete and installed in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's original California or Federal certified configuration, or, when applicable, in accordance with a CARB aftermarket configuration." It goes on to say that any aftermarket parts must be listed as CARB approved or exempted.

The question I have at this point is if the MINI's rear muffler is considered part of the "emissions control system." If it is, and it's replaced by home-made straight pipes, then the car probably will fail based on a strict interpretation of this rule.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Has anyone considered a swing-out spare carrier, such as seen on this pickup?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
kyounger
2nd Gear
I saw a Mini last week with a rear-mounted spare. It appeared to be mounted on a receiver-style trailer hitch, much like some cars have a bike rack. We were both in traffic so I had only a minute or so to look.

I couldn't tell if there was a fold-away feature to allow opening the boot.

Keith

Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 AM
tambi
2nd Gear
off topic --> Interesting license plate on that truck.. looks like it's written in Chinese..??

Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by mslatter
Has anyone considered a swing-out spare carrier, such as seen on this pickup?

MINI-FINI.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Triple A is cheaper and a way better lookin'.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:11 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Dual Exhaust Upgrade?

I have seen R-56 Cooper's with dual exhausts, like the Clubman. After looking under my MC I noticed that there is plenty of room for another muffler on the opposite side of the car making it possible for a dual exhaust. Has anybody seen or know where I could get one? This system looks like it would retain the factory spare tire.

Stephen

Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Nynomad
1st Gear
I was thinking of the dual exhaust also. Wondering if a Clubman rear bumper would fit on a 2009 MCS. If so the exhaust routing should be easy.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
ig109
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love to do duals on my mini.. I really feel like that would make the back of the mini look great.. A Black car with some classy stainless 2.5 inch rolled tip pipes would look SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

I have researched this and saw a kit for the first gen mini coopers.. Wondering if anyone knows anymore myself..

Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Clubman question

I asked the dealer and they said that the Clubman bumper/fairings would not fit the R-56. Maybe hype but do not know. I know I have seen one fly by me on the freeway but could not catch him. There is so much room up under there in a plain jane MINI that another stock muffler just flipped over would fit!

The Remus system for a First Gen looks like it gets in the way of a spare tire, from the photos in the article on MC2.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nynomad
I was thinking of the dual exhaust also. Wondering if a Clubman rear bumper would fit on a 2009 MCS. If so the exhaust routing should be easy.
That is a negative. Also I was thinking of getting the roof tray and putting a tire up there, rally style.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Roof Rack

That would change the center of gravity dramatically. That is why I tow a kayak rather than roof rack it.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
tambi> off topic> That is a pine tree growing up thru the middle of an Oregon license plate.