R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 No discount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 AM
Emar
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No discount?

Just test drove a new S last night at Mini of Sterling and loved it. Pretty well loaded at around $29,500 and put a grand down while working on numbers. Salesman stated Mini would not take one penny off invoice. Is this for real

I have bought around 15 new cars now and never had them not take something off, especially since I am around a grand away from getting the payments that the wife would ok!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:00 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I have heard of this as well.

A friend of mine was looking at the purchase of a MCS which was on the floor. There was not budging on the price, as it had already been lowered.....

They ain't GM.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Mini of Nashville was offering 1500 off on the S. Not anymore. Still have discounts on the clubman.

You might have been in a better bargaining position to not put down your deposit first. See if it is refundable (should be) and say you changed your mind and walk. See if their position is any different.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 AM
tambi
2nd Gear
True... trouble is they don't seem desperate to sell. Most people who go to a MINI showroom don't have any other cars on their mind..

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Emar
1st Gear
True but when married the mini bug is only allowed to fly so far

I am guessing that they still have a good bit of profit in the MSRP just like everyone else. Even an offer of $500 might be enough to placate

Kept trying to down sell me to no fun automatic without sport package instead

I am so close

Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who was your salesman?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not much of a Discount "BUT"

When I bought my JCW I did not really get a discount but I got the dealer to throw in the Sport Stripes and a set of Mini Carpeted floor mats. I did buy a JCW cross brace and Mike did knock off $100.00 from sticker. The Cross- brace was $268.00. It was enough to make me happy with my purchase. I also got the six years extended maintenance warrenty for $1,500. I'm planning to keep my JCW stone stock except for lighter wheels and non-runflat tires so the extended warrenty is a pretty good deal for me. I get an average of 33mpg driving a normal around town speed. 29mpg if I flog it a lot and that is the lowest I ever got. If you are needing to get the payments down a little just tell them what you can afford and let the finance guy work it out. The finance guy has a lot of lee-way in the final say on how low the payments will go.
Ronnie948

Last edited by ronnie948; 06-12-2009 at 06:12 AM. Reason: spelling "OF COURSE"
Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Emar
1st Gear
Kurt, was a really decent guy as far as helping out and I liked him Originally was looking at other cars and colors online but when I got there and saw them in in real life fell in love with horizon blue S with white roof.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by Emar
Kurt, was a really decent guy as far as helping out and I liked him Originally was looking at other cars and colors online but when I got there and saw them in in real life fell in love with horizon blue S with white roof.
I was talking to him about ordering a ~$35,000 S Vert' and he wouldn't budge on anything. So I went to MINI of Towson (my local dealer) and got about $500 taken off and a bump up on my trade in. See if you can't get your deposit back and take a ride up to Annapolis or Towson. See if you can't wheel and deal at another dealership.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM
MeanAndMellowMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tambi
True... trouble is they don't seem desperate to sell. Most people who go to a MINI showroom don't have any other cars on their mind..
Exactly. It was very hard playing any sort of game when shopping at the MINI dealer. I told him I was considering a few other cars and he said "there's really nothing that's going to compare to the MINI." I knew he might have a little trouble buying that so I also talked about a few different MINI's that I went to look at and drive around the area. Also the trouble is that there are really not that many competing dealers. They know that they're the only place you're going to get a used MINI within a large radius.

As for me, I was able to get them to budge slightly but it was nowhere close to invoice price. It probably helped too that I put 2/3 of the price down on the car that day. You might be able to pay invoice at Ford or GM these days but certainly not at a MINI dealer and I don't really blame them!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM
Emar
1st Gear
Actually live pretty close to Towson but problem is Mini is going to be second vehicle and so I want to finace mini select which for some reason is illegal in my beloved Md.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by Emar
Actually live pretty close to Towson but problem is Mini is going to be second vehicle and so I want to finace mini select which for some reason is illegal in my beloved Md.
Whats so special about MINI Select? Is it really worth the extra dollars? Maybe talk to Towson about what you might be able to work the price down to, if its what you want, then go see about getting your deposit back.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Just because MINI isn't offerening rebates doesn't mean the dealer can't. That said - they probably won't. That is pretty loaded for an S. If you can wait, order one cheaper and apply your deposit towards the new one. If you can stand to walk away, see if they'll knock some $$ off the price or at least throw in a bunch of accessories or Stage 1 kit for 1/2 price. Then it'll be like financing your mods upfront.

Last edited by misslindsey; 06-12-2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 AM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Sounds like a road trip to Tenn. to get any thing off a Mini !

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my Horizon Blue & White Mini so I completely understand the draw. That said, one of the reasons that my father bought his Mini 4 years ago was because he wouldn't have to waste time haggling with a sales guy. Have you compared the savings in gas and insurance? I know that I'm saving over $10/month on insurance with State Farm by having gotten a Mini instead of a Honda Civic. As it turns out, the premiums on my Mom's '01 Honda Civic are $30 higher semi-annually than the premiums on my week-old Mini. Our Suburban was the cheapest of all but it makes up for it in gas consumption

PS: I also looked at the Toyota Prius, Nissan Altima Coupe, and Saturn Vue Hybrid, and the Mini was the cheapest of them all in terms of insurance.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Emar
1st Gear
Still owe one more year on Tacoma 4x4 which I wanted to keep for winter and house stuff. I want my payments under 300 for the first year with about 4000 down so need mini select. Also select is 36 mo term so qualifies me for June 1.9 interest special

Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 AM
ImCBParker
2nd Gear
There will always be financing deals. Always. With the recent passage of cash for clunkers, discounts will even be tougher to come by. It is unfortunate, but the only discounts I have heard of in the Chicago area is off the lot Mini's, and even that is rare. I have not heard someone getting a discount on any ordered Mini in the Chicago area, anyway.

Usually they throw in mats, or license plate holders, even discounts on accessories, but you should not hope to expect too much more these days.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM
AkFarina
Banned
there are a lot of dealers like that. almost all of the saturn dealers back home are like that and a the mini and bmw dealer here dont budge.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
Really? Your Saturn dealers won't budge on the price? If I had gone with the Vue, I would have gotten approx. $8k off of MSRP between the Mastercard discount and the dealership discount.

Mini gave me rubber floor mats and license plate holders. I've heard that some people are able to get more thrown in but that was it for me.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Yes i got my Just a Cooper in April 09 and saleman looked at me funny when I asked If he could drop the price ! He threw in free car mats and racing stripes . Insurance is low on the Mini because its a sub compact and rated safe ! I was suprised about that one ! A few days later the rates went lower and i missed out but oh well = i have a fine car now !

Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The only thing I got from the dealer was the floor mats. Other than that, I paid full sticker price.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
dvhone
3rd Gear
The last thing to put down is the deposit. It's the last bit of negotiating leverage that one has. If they don't know you're desperate, then no matter how cool they seem on the exterior, they're the ones who are desperate.

Tell them you've changed your mind (or your wife has changed it for you) because of the price, so you want your deposit back. Once you have it back, ask them if they are sure there's nothing they can do, 'cause even though you want one, your wife won't go for that price (make her the bad guy and work it to your advantage)...then, negotiate from a position of strength... you do have to be prepared to walk in order to call their bluff.

If they let you walk, then you know you've hit rock bottom...if they don't, then there's still some room to be had (by you!).

If you don't ask, you don't get!

Good hunting.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I agree. Play the pity card as much as you can. Especially if you are speaking with another guy. If the financing person turns out to be a woman, start stressing how you want to buy this car for your wife but you didn't realize how expensive the car she wanted was... etc. Have a good story prepared for both.

I don't advocate lying but I know now how amazing it is to have a Mini after years of wanting one.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:52 PM
WestonJCW
3rd Gear
I bought my JCW in April,got 1k off msrp,2.9% x 5 years,no payments x 90 days.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
You can use the net and get the invoice price = they are making money and want budge = they Are BMW cars ! In this recession they should give you something off MSRP come on ! I played the game for 2 months and they did not budge a bit = as I said free racing stripes , car matts = poster , key chain = i feel your pain = Sticker price . Good Luck BMW remember enough said !

Quick Reply: R56 No discount?