R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Snowboards?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Aphraidknot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this may not be a very popular idea, but it is just a thought. A friend and I use to take his firebird up boarding and we had the same issue with space. So we would cover the spoiler with towels and then bungee cord the boards to the spoiler. I know a firebird is obviously a lot different but I just wanted to chime in.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
What do you guys do about sand in the MINI?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
Lol nice! idk how I'd do that on the mini. That would be a final resort

Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
()()==
2nd Gear
Yakima?

I agree with dwf137 about using a commercial rack if it will work. I personally prefer the way the MINI rack looks, but I'm not too thrilled about cutting rubber to install it. Also, I prefer a rack system that has more fittings and options.

Along those lines...

Has anybody experienced problems with the mechanical stability of MINI gutters?

Has anybody had luck mounting a Yakima rack?

(I've got a bunch of Yakima ski mounts, bike mounts, and kayak mounts. Changing to Thule is not an option.)

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I have a thule rack, yet I use the Yakima board rack. The yakima mounts are compatible with the thule load bars, as long as you have their universal mounts.

The gutters seem to be okay structurally, but I wouldn't tighten down too much. the rubber covers definitely push up and deform, but the rack still seems very stable.

Originally Posted by JudgeS
Actually I would say quite the opposite, I mean yes guidelines are just suggestions but when learning it really doesn't matter as long as its not way to big for you, if you happen to be using a board a bit small it will help as its not going to go to fast, and be far easier to control. However as you get better if your using a board to small for you it will always hold your progression back, and you will never truly excel at the sport.
longer does not equal progression. Speed is nothing if you can't control it. Generally, people start upping their snowboard size to "progress" without actually learning to progress themselves. I have raced many of friends down the hill with my 151, while they ride 157+, and I am significantly faster. yet again though, speed doesn't necessarily mean progression.

Last edited by dwf137; 06-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
I have always hated roof racks and the extra wind resistance they bring. Boards fit in the car as long as you're not hauling 4 people.
Too much judgement on board length here...
BTW, my backyard:

Attached Thumbnails Snowboards?-whistler-blackcomb.jpg  

Last edited by daemon2; 06-27-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
I made my own suction cup roof rack to carry snowboards and skis. I used it 4 times last year with no problem. I made it from suction cups similar to this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46134 "mine were orange". I just cut this in half and added pvc pipe to make wider. It works great on the glass on the sunroof. I also added a 1" nylon web strap as extra security that i fed through the sunroof and attached to the inside of the car. I will see if I can find some pics of the setup.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:34 PM
phxsteele
4th Gear
Here are a few pics. If anyone wants more details just let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Snowboards?-roof-rack_001.jpg   Snowboards?-roof-rack_002.jpg   Snowboards?-roof-rack_008.jpg  
Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by phxsteele
Here are a few pics. If anyone wants more details just let me know.

I think you should def make me one! ya know you wanna be nice like that don't lie... can you please pm me specific details on this set up you made. seems my style and easy to remove right? you think I can do 2 boards? One with the bindings down and one on top of the other board with bindings up? thanks!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 AM
phxsteele
4th Gear
That is the only way I have ever done it is with 2 boards. No problem. I will try to do a write up when I get time. It wasnt that hard here are a list of materials.

2 of the harbor freight suction cup handles cut in half.
4 45 degree pvc pipe 1 1/4" size
1 8' Section of 1 1/4" pvc pipe.
4 1 1/4" pipe caps for top supports.
2 sections of foam pipe insulation for padding.
4 bungee cords to attach top supports to bottom.
Glue for pvc pipe.

Everything together maybe cost 30 bucks.

I sprayed the orange suction cups and part of the pvc pipe with plasti-dip to make black and covered the rest in black electrical tape.

After the fist trip I did take it all apart and rebuild. I took a heat gun to the horizontal pipes on the bottom support to melt it slightly to match the contour of the sunroof. If you dont one side will not want to sit flush and it will try to pop up.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 AM
sr597runner
Neutral
i haven't done snowboards yet, but i have a yakima rack system that i put my surfboards on with no problems. a 7'4" and a 5'7" stacked at 70mph for 4 hours and no issues whatsoever. i've done this on several occasions. typically you're going to be driving a little slower on winding mountain roads so i don't see how it could be an issue with damaging the molding unless you tighten the rack too much. i got mine at minicarparts.net for probably $100 less than any local ski shop. they also have a nice thule for the same price i think and from the looks of it the fairing seems sturdier. the best part is you don't have to get a second mortgage on your house to pay the dealer to drill holes in your roof for the factory rack.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 AM
swisstexmini
2nd Gear
Is it possible to put 4 snowboards on the rack?

I was trying to figure out if you could flip 2 boards upside down and 2 boards stacked on top?

It would bring me space inside for luggage and i can take my friends.

Does anyone know if it clears with height? ..roof to rack..

Has anyone tried this?

I have a mcs 2007, btw I asked mini and one guy in parts said they had know idea and told me to buy the surf board rack and strap the boards down tight and it might work. Then one guy at service also had know clue.
I asked if they could order it so i could see and they told me no =[ They said you got to pay for it for them to order it.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daemon2
BTW, my backyard:
Sweet, another BC'er!

I'm wagering that my Blackcomb season pass won't get much of a workout this winter though, with all the 2010 stuff going on I guess I'll have to switch to some other slopes for January-February-March.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by swisstexmini
Is it possible to put 4 snowboards on the rack?

I was trying to figure out if you could flip 2 boards upside down and 2 boards stacked on top?

It would bring me space inside for luggage and i can take my friends.

Does anyone know if it clears with height? ..roof to rack..

Has anyone tried this?

I have a mcs 2007, btw I asked mini and one guy in parts said they had know idea and told me to buy the surf board rack and strap the boards down tight and it might work. Then one guy at service also had know clue.
I asked if they could order it so i could see and they told me no =[ They said you got to pay for it for them to order it.
Don't buy that from the dealer, they're clueless. Get yourself a real snowboard rack that says it'll fit 4 boards, and yes, they will fit that way. I have done it.

I have a yakima powderhound that fits 4 boards. Put that up on your roof rack. The powderhound comes with an additional piece to angle your roof rack up in case your bindings are too tall to fit. I didn't need to do that, but I had thule load bas, not the factory roof rack.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
swisstexmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dwf137
Don't buy that from the dealer, they're clueless. Get yourself a real snowboard rack that says it'll fit 4 boards, and yes, they will fit that way. I have done it.

I have a yakima powderhound that fits 4 boards. Put that up on your roof rack. The powderhound comes with an additional piece to angle your roof rack up in case your bindings are too tall to fit. I didn't need to do that, but I had thule load bas, not the factory roof rack.
think you can give me the links for them? please xD

Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LGS3TS

and you'll need a base rack system to go on it, whether it's factory or aftermarket.

I had this: http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3050.cfm