R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Snowboards?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snowboards?

Hey I'm a soon to be mini owner... NEXT WEEK! Anyway, just wondering if anyone has tried to fit a snowboard in their mini? I'm 5'3" and a avid boarder. I know it's out of season but my birthday is around the corner and wondering if I should ask for the roof rack and snowboard attachment. If it fits inside, anyone have pics so I can see? I obviously haven't measured the interior to see.

Thank you!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
krim
5th Gear
i ride a 157.5 and basically if i fold the left rear down and move the passenger seat forward all the way, wrap the tip w/ cloth to protect the trim/pleather from the edges, i can fit it diagonally. If i put it in straight down the middle, it'll reach the tip of the e-brake.
ill probably get a roof rack at some point, no way am i driving to mammoth like that.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:21 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
haha yeah I hear you! plus mine is manual idk about yours and I need arm room so if I have it down the middle that may be annoying haha. I gotta see. I ride a 143 so I may pull it off but I always bring someone else with me to ride because who wants to ride alone but anyway they'll have their board too and my friends who ride are tall guys so I'll need it for them. they should buy it for me! haha I wish! Any idea how much they cost?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to stuff my skiis in side the mini and shifting was...well...interesting. I bought the roof rack and ski attachment and its the best money i have spent so far on the mini. I bought at my local dealer (but pricematched to Morristown Mini) and installed my self. Once you do it once it is easy!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
I want the roof rack, but I'm not as big a skier as I wish I could be (maybe that will change with some transportation) so I opted out of the roof rack. I'm trying to think of a way to hang the skis longways inside the car without damaging anything...I'll let you know about that

Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LaLa Rocks
haha yeah I hear you! plus mine is manual idk about yours and I need arm room so if I have it down the middle that may be annoying haha. I gotta see. I ride a 143 so I may pull it off but I always bring someone else with me to ride because who wants to ride alone but anyway they'll have their board too and my friends who ride are tall guys so I'll need it for them. they should buy it for me! haha I wish! Any idea how much they cost?
I have an auto, but usually use the stick to shift, unless i have coffee, then it's the paddles.

what I had to do once, emergency ride home... did the diagonal, stacked the second board on top and had my friend ride in the back passenger side, and the front passenger seat all the way forward and tilted. Blocked a little of the side mirror and talking was a little interesting, but it worked out okay. Fortunately, it's quite comfortable w/ the seat full forward for the back passenger.
Since i always have a blanket in the trunk (bring another to wrap the boards), i used that to cover the boards so that my friend could use them as a very tall armrest.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:24 AM
DaveC
2nd Gear
We did a road trip for a couple of spring skiing trips to Mammoth and to Tahoe a couple of years ago. My wife and I removed the bindings on one of our 162 cm boards and stacked 2 boards together. We dropped both back seats and laid the boards diagonally from behind the driver's seat to the right rear of the boot of our 2006 MINI (R53), put some towels around the tips and edges of the boards and packed our bags around the boards. This way the passenger seat could still recline (for the co-pilot to take a nap in comfort). No room for rear seat passengers, but the two of us and our boards and gear got there in comfort.

Dave

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 AM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
nice! thanks for all the info guys. I guess I'll have to find out which would be best for me. I'm sure I'll find a way to make it work but may get the rack later in the year if I don't like the way I have it or since I like to go for a weekend I need to pack so I'll just have to see if I can fit my things and my board plus whoever I bring and their stuff.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Nynomad
1st Gear
I fit my coiler race board 181cm in my MINI. I put it thru the front seat left side of boot leaning right towards the passenger side so I can shift. Works fine - the 2 of us go to VT all the time... with the dogs! My shorter board a 166 fits along the right side of the passenger seat.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
NICE! yeah I actually pick up my mini on tuesday so when I bring it home I'll play around and see what works best. If you can fit your 181 I'm sure my 143 will be NO sweat! lol

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Should be fine - do it all the time. If I don't have a third passenger then both seats down, and put in diagonally behind passenger seat (two boards). If I have three passengers, then right down the middle. I wouldn't mind having a rack, but don't really need it. I think my board is a 162 - or 164

Good luck - and Congrats!

Nik

Old 06-19-2009, 07:38 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveC
We did a road trip for a couple of spring skiing trips to Mammoth and to Tahoe a couple of years ago. My wife and I removed the bindings on one of our 162 cm boards and stacked 2 boards together. We dropped both back seats and laid the boards diagonally from behind the driver's seat to the right rear of the boot of our 2006 MINI (R53), put some towels around the tips and edges of the boards and packed our bags around the boards. This way the passenger seat could still recline (for the co-pilot to take a nap in comfort). No room for rear seat passengers, but the two of us and our boards and gear got there in comfort.

Dave

i don't know why, but i never thought of putting down both rear seats.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM
AkFarina
Banned
go for the boot rack its much better looking with the boards on it

Old 06-20-2009, 05:28 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
143 yikes thats small, even at your height you should be riding at least a 150.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
Oh my bad. Idk why I put 143 I meant 148 lol but I do like my boards a little smaller than they should be. Just a tad lol.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Well your (I am as well) on the east coast so you should be running a smaller board 148 is about the smallest I'd go for your size. It also depends on what kind of riding you do and what level your at. At 5'7" I use a 158 and a 160 (believe it or not the 158 is my powder board, its a Burton Fish).

Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
I like my board size. I am very comfortable with the way and what I ride.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
143 yikes thats small, even at your height you should be riding at least a 150.
i don't mean to be getting technical here, but the normal "guidelines" are for beginners only IMO. Once you hit the advanced/expert stage, all bets are off. I ride a 148, 151, or 157 all depending on how I feel that day.

/snowboard rant.

get a roof rack. I got a thule rack with the 4 board attachments. The thule stays on all winter, but the board rack gets taken off after every trip for gas mileage. I carried me and 2 other buddies up to Mt. Baker this past winter pretty comfortably. Put one seat down and put all of our gear there.

this site http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/M3050.cfm has pretty good deal for the whole package, that's where I got mine. Looks better then the stock one too, imo.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
Oh my bad. Idk why I put 143 I meant 148 lol but I do like my boards a little smaller than they should be. Just a tad lol.
I like my board size. I am very comfortable with the way and what I ride.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
did ask opinions on my board size. Asked about the roof rack and if other mini owners who ride can fit their board in their mini.

thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
I put two boards in the back seat angled across - from floor on passenger side to window on drivers side - in their soft bags to protect the tint and interior from the edges.
The passenger seat won't go back quite as far but still lots of room and nothing moves around on the windy mountain roads!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
nice. thanks for the info daemon

Old 06-21-2009, 04:13 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwf137
i don't mean to be getting technical here, but the normal "guidelines" are for beginners only IMO. Once you hit the advanced/expert stage, all bets are off. I ride a 148, 151, or 157 all depending on how I feel that day.
Actually I would say quite the opposite, I mean yes guidelines are just suggestions but when learning it really doesn't matter as long as its not way to big for you, if you happen to be using a board a bit small it will help as its not going to go to fast, and be far easier to control. However as you get better if your using a board to small for you it will always hold your progression back, and you will never truly excel at the sport.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:17 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LaLa Rocks
did ask opinions on my board size. Asked about the roof rack and if other mini owners who ride can fit their board in their mini.

thanks
Sorry man, but this is an internet forum its going to go off topic.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
JudgesS, I meant to write "didn't ask..." and I'm a chick. I don't care about anyone's opinion of my board size since I've been riding for 7 years and have no problems doing any slope or jump. Thanks for all who actually answered my question and everyone else can keep your comments to yourself since this is a MINI forum.

Quick Reply: R56 Snowboards?