R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Manual MCS easier to drive and shift in Sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:40 PM
coreygo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual MCS easier to drive and shift in Sport mode?

Maybe it's just me and the fact it's been a very long time since I've driven a manual. But does it actually seem easier to drive the car with a manual when it's in Sport mode?

It seems much easier to rev match when down shifting and a lot easier starting out. I'm guessing it's the throttle response and such. All in all it's a lot more enjoyable to drive in Sport mode. In some ways I wish Sport was the default mode and Sport mode just made it even sportier .

Old 06-19-2009, 05:46 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a simple kit offered on the Electrical Forum that makes 'sport' the default selection.

You should also notice that the power steering is easier in non-sport mode, a push of button after the mod would return to standard mode.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely better in sport mode.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I find it easier in Sport mode. Yes, it is the trottle response. One can get used to the non-sport mode, but the quicker trottle response of Sport makes me use Sport most of the time.

I don't really notice the difference in steering.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
SoldierNurse
2nd Gear
IMHO, a huge diff btwn sport mode & not. I always drive sport mode. Otherwise, why own an MCS?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Steering is definitely heavier feelling (more direct?) in Sport mode. For highway cruising/long trips, I actually like to turn Sport mode off. No need for aggressive throttle, plus you get the lighter steering feel.

Ultimately drive in non-Sport for a while and you'll get accustomed to the throttle, although it is much more fun driving with it on in any case.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
physonect
1st Gear
When i first picked the car up, i refused to turn on sport mode, mainly to help me resist the temptation to rev it high during break-in.

After break-in i turned it on and wow! It was already loads of fun, and sport mode made it even better!

So now i kind of go back and forth, some tanks i'll drive always in sport mode, and some without. Driving with sport mode off for awhile and then turning it on actually allows you to appreciate it all the more, you get a little thrill when you come back to it each time

I agree completely though w.r.t driving manual. It's definitely much more natural with it on, the throttle response is really lethargic in normal mode.

Definitely turn it off for long highway drives though, i think you'll probably get a bit better mileage, and you don't really lose any "fun" when driving at the same speed in a straight line

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
tambi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by physonect
Definitely turn it off for long highway drives though, i think you'll probably get a bit better mileage, and you don't really lose any "fun" when driving at the same speed in a straight line
I don't really see how you can get better highway mileage with sport OFF... if you set in on cruise control, wouldn't it be throwing in same quantity of fuel, regardless of sport mode on / off? Just wondering...

Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 PM
physonect
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tambi
I don't really see how you can get better highway mileage with sport OFF... if you set in on cruise control, wouldn't it be throwing in same quantity of fuel, regardless of sport mode on / off? Just wondering...
Good point, my claim was purely based on conjecture, i don't really have any proof (if anyone has done any mileage calculations for this chime in!).

However, I don't always use cruise control, i only ever feel comfortable using it when i'm driving a long distance on a highway with very minimal traffic, which is not too often for me. So without cruise, i'm pretty sure you'd be getting slightly better mileage with it off unless you're really careful with the throttle.

I don't know the algorithm they use for cruise control, but it might be that it doesn't account for sport mode being on or off and gives it the same amount of throttle in both cases? I'll have to try it out and see if it feels "jerkier" in sport mode next time i'm on the highway...

Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I prefer non-sport mode in stop and go traffic since the throttle feels a little more sedate, otherwise I prefer sport mode all the time. I'd like to have the firmer steering feel on at all times.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 AM
KCinBR
3rd Gear
My opinion is that it shifts better in NON-Sport mode. The sport mode to touchy for me, and there is no real advantage to using it as far as the trottle is concerned, however I do like the heavier feel of the steering.
This is Probably because I went from driving a 88 Porsche 911 to MINI and the 911 has a terribly long travel on the throttle and I had gotten used to it over the years.
Remember it just changes the "feel" no performance gain.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Bigjoeski08
4th Gear
I can't go back to non sport I will stall out. I'm so used to the quick response going back sometimes makes me feel like a noob.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 AM
basil49
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tell friends who are just learning to drive a manual to turn sport mode ON -- just a little less need to feather the clutch seems to make things easier on newbie-stick-drivers.

There's also this thread for an alternate "auto-sport-ON" circuit -- very inexpensive.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 AM
coreygo
2nd Gear
I saw the auto on sport mode button when I first registered, I may end up doing that, looks pretty sweet.

Obviously sport doesn't change the perf, but just the handling of the steering and throttle. I can't say I feel the steering difference. I've come from a GTI which had adjustable steering using the VAG COM interface, the GTI's steering was already very very heavy. The Mini feels good either way.

The car is definitely a lot easier to drive relearning a manual while in sport mode. I've gone 1000 miles now without using sport mode and am just now starting to try it out. But geez what a difference in ease. I felt really confident with the GTI with DSG, some of that was lost when I went to the MCS due to the manual, but sport mode is slowly bringing it back.

It's a shame sport mode isn't the default and the new sport mode be something even more insane. LOL.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM
urameatball
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
Steering is definitely heavier feelling (more direct?) in Sport mode. For highway cruising/long trips, I actually like to turn Sport mode off. No need for aggressive throttle, plus you get the lighter steering feel.

Ultimately drive in non-Sport for a while and you'll get accustomed to the throttle, although it is much more fun driving with it on in any case.
+1

Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 AM
pxtech
2nd Gear
to me its like its two cars in one sport mode on and sport mode off the feel is completely different. I've had my mini for about a month now and have driven it only twice with sport mode off.