R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Why do people have to be A-HOLES? I don't get it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by orangecrush
For some reason, it seems that certain people feel it is there duty to uphold the law and make sure that everyone else stays within the speed limit. Those are the people I have run off the road before.
Mark, I understand your frustration, trust me, I do, but I really hope I am reading/interpretating that wrong.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bruce/Fl
Mark, I understand your frustration, trust me, I do, but I really hope I am reading/interpretating that wrong.

LOL, yes, I meant to say those are the people I've had run-ins with before.... (Freud would say that is what I want to do...run them off the road...lol)

Guess I've got too many thoughts in my head and I think faster than I type...lol.

Thanks for pointing that out Bruce.

Mark

Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
LOL, yes, I meant to say those are the people I've had run-ins with before.... (Freud would say that is what I want to do...run them off the road...lol)

Guess I've got too many thoughts in my head and I think faster than I type...lol.

Thanks for pointing that out Bruce.

Mark

Yea, the good Doctor F. He knows us too well.

It's all good Mark.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I hope you don't do that on the highway. When people are driving the speedlimit, you really can't say anything but when someone purposes drives in the left lane just because they are driving the speedlimit knowingly holding up other cars, well, that just makes me
Mark
That's not me Mark, but I do slow down to 30 or so if someone can't figure out that the following distance is when you can see the car in front of you tires hitting the pavement. Or those idiots that you see in the rearview mirror speeding and weaving in and out of traffic who think they can get as close to my rear end as possible just to woosh by and get over into the other lane. That torx my shorts!!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
That's not me Mark, but I do slow down to 30 or so if someone can't figure out that the following distance is when you can see the car in front of you tires hitting the pavement. Or those idiots that you see in the rearview mirror speeding and weaving in and out of traffic who think they can get as close to my rear end as possible just to woosh by and get over into the other lane. That torx my shorts!!
I agree... like I said... a little courtesy goes a long way. Thank God I'm not a cop, I'd be ticketing everyone...lol. (including myself)

Mark

Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
galoki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear ya'll.

Last night I was leaving work. To get on the interstate to go home, I have to take a right out of my complex and immediately get over two lanes to the left to get into the turn lane. Most of the time people let me in or I can squeeze in and take it. So there's about a car and a half opening and I hit my blinker and the trailing car floors it and cuts me off.

I roll down my window and gesture "why?" with my hands, the lady in the car rolls her window down half way and replies, "I'm in a hurry". Yep, I think she shaved .00005 seconds off her commute. So I reply, "Wow, you are such a wonderful person, makes me proud to be an american".

fortunately, I was able to get ahead of her in the interstate and block her in on an exit lane. HE HE!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Chuc
1st Gear
Why get a vehicle designed for speed and agility and not use it? Why get all that horsepower to weight fun and drive these Coopers like old ladies? If you cannot handle speed don't do it... If you can... Let it rip! It's like carrying a shotgun in your shorts!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:58 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chuc
Why get a vehicle designed for speed and agility and not use it? Why get all that horsepower to weight fun and drive these Coopers like old ladies? If you cannot handle speed don't do it... If you can... Let it rip! It's like carrying a shotgun in your shorts!
Hey Chuc, any time I have a chance and enough room I open Molly up and she says, "Let's GO!!". Lately I've been taking corners a little more daring than what I used to, my Husband has learned to HANG ON!!

Man I can't wait (OBC says 3,000) 'til I can get my new tires Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions, then I'll really have to see what my Baby can do!!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
On the way back from the airport the other day on H1 this stupid ***** decide that she want to go from the far left lane and get off at the exit with about 150ft of travel. I would have gotten over it had she not cut in between 2 cars that were just under a car length apart. The guy in the back (God bless him) handle his car great and didn't lose control of his car when he slammed on his brakes. Man if they had wrecked it would have been a huge (I mean epic) car pile up. Man I am just going to start calling the cops and start reporting people for wreckless driving or better yet get a camera and start recording so that I can back up me up in my claims.
DO IT! we do...just a few months ago, i called 911 to report this white lexus sedan on H1 heading ewa/west bound from 6th ave onramp around the university off. he was weaving menacingly within his own lane, tailgating people really closely (two or three feet from his front bumper to the back bumper of other car) to bully them out of his way.

i called 911. when i gave the license plate & vehicle description, the operator looked the car up right away and asked me to confirm whether the driver was asian, dark-haired and of a certain age. i said yes and described what he was wearing (slate blue-ish members only-style jacket, like the kind popular two decades ago). i guess lexus punk had been called in before. the operator said that they'd send a patrol car over to the his house later that day.

additionally, when lexus buttmunch found himself right behind us near the wilder offramp, i turned around from the passenger seat and took a picture of him, making sure he saw me do it. the dingleberry backed up off my MINI's asterisk right quick, let me tell you!

if you go to honolulu police department's traffic database, you'll see that people call in hazardous drivers all the time. if you can do it safely and legally (remember the new cellphone ban starting today), you'll be doing your civic duty by notifying HPD.

(by the way, i keep that website on my iphone homepage since it's very to-the-minute about any accidents that might cause traffic to jam up more than usual.)

Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Off topic, but devlynaskurt, love your username.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bruce/Fl
Off topic, but devlynaskurt, love your username.

awww...tenkyu....*blush-curtsy-aloha-wave*

Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Public road is not public race track!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
devlynaskurt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nickminir56
Public road is not public race track!
yeah, i was gonna say....just cause you have a "shotgun" in your pants doesn't mean you go "shooting" it off indiscriminately just because you can. doing so often makes for a rank, unhappy mess.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Either ya'll have big pants, or small shotguns?

My drive home takes me down one of the bigger streets in our town. Near the edge of town the street crosses on overpass for the bypass freeway. There is a bit of congestion as cars que up for the right turn before the overpass, a long line of cars in the left lane for the two left turn lanes on the far side of the overpass, and a fairly empty middle lane for folks goiing striaght through.
At least 3 days a week the middle lane has to stop for one of those "I am the center of the known universe" people. They cruise the middle lane all the way up to the front of the right turn line and then turn on thier blinker. It is bumper to bumper at a stand still already, so they can't merge. Most times our light turns red, then when the cross traffic clears, they finally can merge in.
It really sux to be sitting 20 yards from a green light while the lanes on both sides of you keep going and your looking at the back end of a butt hole.

I dont want a horn to blow. I want a bull horn.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I too get fed up with drivers. I really hope that I can take classes at a driving school sometime soon because I would like to be a better driver. That being said, I'm not going to sit behind someone when I can legally and safely get around them.

I have the typical situation. I live in an incredibly residential area that is full of neighborhoods and kids. My suburb only has one street that has a speed limit of over 30 mph, and it's 45. Seriously, there is only 1 "fast" street in the city limits. My neighborhood is just before a curve in the road, a road that is 30 mph. Frequently people will go 10+mph over the speed limit which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to get out of my neighborhood. My favorite thing to do is drive exactly the speed limit or just under when I have some jerk behind me wanting to go too fast. I never brake, but I always take my foot off the accelerator until I reach a speed that I'm comfortable with. I've had several people speed around me, illegally crossing the double stripes, while I was turning into my neighborhood. I smile and roll my eyes.

People really need to be more courteous.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I love the ones that use the Emergency Lane for their own personal traffic lane!!

Lacy I get those idiots too, I use my Cruise Control down our neighborhood streets 25mph, on a few occassions I've had them go around me crossing the double yellow line...MORONS!!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I love the ones that use the Emergency Lane for their own personal traffic lane!!
That happened to me a few weeks ago! I was driving past a tollbooth on the left lane where the electronic tags are scanned. The lane on the far (cash payments only) right eventually merges to my lane. The dum-dum was waaay behind me. I'm talking two bus lengths. I was CASUALLY pulling ahead to 60. I was actually at about 63 mph when the dumb*** immediately stomped on the gas and passed me on the emergency lane. The dumb city council in my city is only worried about red light TV cameras. They should take them down and put them in front of the toll booths and voila! The money will POUR in like a tsunami. Trust me. BTW, what the **** is with people in four-door pickups? The standard 2-door drivers leave me alone but the four-door types are just dangerous. They dart around me and cut me off every chance they get. In fact, a few days ago, I was getting off the toll road and a moron in a 4-door pickup (yes, it was jacked up so it was sky-high) immediately cut me off. If I had not been driving a car with such good brakes, I'd have crashed into him for sure. For a second, I ALMOST wished I had hit him. It'd serve him right for being such a greedy fool. Couldn't get the license plate because the truck had none. (It was new).

Old 07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I love those G35's, but I had a similar situation yesterday. I passed him on the right because he was going a little under the speed limit in the left lane. He must have thought I was racing because he caught up to me real quick... and gave me the FINGER!!! He sped up a little more, and cut me off in the right lane so early that I had to slam on the brakes and cut into the left lane to avoid hitting him. Thank God there wasn't anyone in that lane or I would have side swiped them.

Another situation yesterday was with a HUMMER H2. I like those too, but there's obviously a huge size difference between an H2 and a Mini. We were on the highway, I was doing about 65 in the middle of 3 lanes. There was nobody else on the road, and got so close to my bumper that he must have been inches within hitting me. I was afraid he was going to run right over the back of my car. So, I sped up a little and so did he, trying to keep the distance between us minimal. I even changed lanes, and so did he, right behind me. So I ended up just gunning it, going much faster than I have in a while, until I couldn't see him anymore. Thankfully he couldn't keep up, I was getting a bit creeped out.

At some points of my driving, I feel like I'm being the "a-hole," but after these 2 instances, I feel much better about my driving. Compared to most people on the road, I'm the good guy.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by malteseracer
Anyway, I see a Ferrari F430 about 100 yards up in the right lanes, I'm in the far left. So naturally being that I have a 45min drive to my grandmother's house I punch it a little and get up right behind him...more to have something pretty to look while I look forward than anything else.
Long story short he starts in and out of lanes with me in tow trying to keep up (Playfully mind you, I wasn't up his ***). I'm happy to say that my 1989 v6 Buick still hangs on at 95 weaving in and out of traffic...though I think I got that out of my system for a bit lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention the speedo only goes up to i think 80...but we were long past 80. 95 is a ballpark.
I typically am doing over 100 on my way to work in the early mornings. I also tend to get around 130'ish for stretches. People do not like this type of behavior and get very upset when you pass them at double their speed. They also cannot stand a tiny car like a Mini passing them. I got used to it and just keep leaving them in the dust.
I count 3 A-holes in the two quotes above.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Either you are a regular who made up an account to troll, or you just aren't very smart.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Either you are a regular who made up an account to troll, or you just aren't very smart.
+1

Sure, I've done it once or twice, but on a daily basis? C'monnnn...

I hope he has some cop friends to help him get out of the ticket he's about to get.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by malteseracer
I was merging onto the highway today and had a minivan actually go from the center lane into the merging lane to get off at the next exit...more than a mile and a half up.
Well I have one from today that this reminded me of:
I'm on 495 going eastbound in a 55 (I hate NY speed limits) doing about 70 (thats the real speed limit unless you wanna get rear ended by some chick putting on her makeup)
Anyway, I see a Ferrari F430 about 100 yards up in the right lanes, I'm in the far left. So naturally being that I have a 45min drive to my grandmother's house I punch it a little and get up right behind him...more to have something pretty to look while I look forward than anything else.
Long story short he starts in and out of lanes with me in tow trying to keep up (Playfully mind you, I wasn't up his ***). I'm happy to say that my 1989 v6 Buick still hangs on at 95 weaving in and out of traffic...though I think I got that out of my system for a bit lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention the speedo only goes up to i think 80...but we were long past 80. 95 is a ballpark.

I think Forest Gump sums it up best:

Stupid is as stupid does.