R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Why do people have to be A-HOLES? I don't get it...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do people have to be A-HOLES? I don't get it...

I don't get it... I'm driving with my wife merging on to I-485. The merge lane runs for about 3/4 - 1 mile before it merges with 3 other lanes.

I'm following a G35 who is running 50'ish on the merge lane (which incidently the speed limit is 65)

As he merges, he immediately pulls one lane to the left so I continue in the merging lane because I typically run a little over the speed limit and start to pass him in the right lane. At this point, I've got well over 1/2 mile to merge left.

I'm in 4th gear and as I'm merging into the left lane, I look in my rearview mirror and have a G35 ON MY AZZ. Are you freakin' kidding me, I'm running at least 30 mph faster than he was and now he decides he wants to crawl up my butt????

I'm in 4th gear and instead of downshifting, I crank it up. I can tell he punches it but I pull so hard on him, there ain't no catching up. I shift into 5th and then 6th and by this time I'm doing speeds that I typically do on the straightaways at the track.

I wasn't trying to race this guy, I just wanted to get away from his dumbazz. Fortunately he wasn't able to keep up but I don't get it... why do people have an aversion to being passed?

That was the second incident today (the other was an idiot on a moped of all things).

No wonder there's so much road rage. Freakin' idiot.

Rant off....

Mark

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
*Raising Hand Wildly* I know...I know...NOT only are they A-Holes, but they are JEALOUS as well!!

You and your Better Half are not the only ones this has happened too on more than one occassion.

Just last week Hubby and I were on our way to work. Hubby typically has his head into his DSi and I mean "in" (in a nice way, of course). It's our rule, he has to keep busy and NOT Back Seat Drive!!

Anyway, I'm happily tooling along, traveling west on I-84, and I notice this Silver (??) to my left, but not nose to nose, he was about 1/2 nose back, so more to my driver's door (I have very good peripheral vision), mind you I'm watching traffic, steady as she goes. He is in the Middle Lane, I'm in the Far Right Travel Lane. I see a Blinker come on, and I'm thinkin' OK he knows I'm here, I don't know what he thinks he can do from where he is...WELL...HE/SHE needed to EXIT the Freakin' Freeway from the Middle Lane??!! Soon I noticed that he was moving over into my lane, WTF, now I've got to take evassive action and my only escape was the Median between my lane and the Exit Ramp??!! I guess you know that Hubby got a bit of a startle, and afterwards my adrenalin was pumping pretty good.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Anyway, I'm happily tooling along, traveling west on I-84, and I notice this Silver (??) to my left, but not nose to nose, he was about 1/2 nose back, so more to my driver's door (I have very good peripheral vision), mind you I'm watching traffic, steady as she goes. He is in the Middle Lane, I'm in the Far Right Travel Lane. I see a Blinker come on, and I'm thinkin' OK he knows I'm here, I don't know what he thinks he can do from where he is...WELL...HE/SHE needed to EXIT the Freakin' Freeway from the Middle Lane??!! Soon I noticed that he was moving over into my lane, WTF, now I've got to take evassive action and my only escape was the Median between my land and the Exit Ramp??!! I guess you know that Hubby got a bit of a startle, and afterwards my adrenalin was pumping pretty good.
Meh! I was driving up I-83 just past Harrisburg during the spring. Sitting in Friday rush hour traffic an 18-wheeler decided he was ready to merge into the right lane from the entrance ramp. Too bad I was under his cab door. Good thing our cars are only 12ft long, or I would have been a MINI pancake under the 18-wheeler or sandwich between two F250's.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The g35 didn't know you weren't trying to race...

unless you waved a sign that sad "i'm not racing"

Old 06-28-2009, 07:20 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
The g35 didn't know you weren't trying to race...

unless you waved a sign that sad "i'm not racing"
Perhaps but I was already ahead of him but in the right lane... I was doing at least 25-30mph faster than him. Apparently he decided to race I guess, I dunno but I assure you that it wasn't a race, it was him taking a knife to a gunfight....

Anyway, this thread is NOT about any kind of racing, just another idiot on the road not thinking....

Mark

Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
If your talking about that long onramp from 74 that crosses under before merging onto 485 I passed a Matthews PD sitting under the overpass today and had it no been for the V1 my @ss would have been busted at about 35 over. Phewwwwww!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
What you NEED in this situation is the switch (where the rear fog is supposed to be) that releases the super slick "SPY HUNTER" smoke/oil

That finishes em up real quick!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:10 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
If your talking about that long onramp from 74 that crosses under before merging onto 485 I passed a Matthews PD sitting under the overpass today and had it no been for the V1 my @ss would have been busted at about 35 over. Phewwwwww!
Yup, same ramp.... going from Independence to Concord. I noticed the cops have been sitting there facing the wrong direction as you come to 74W towards Charlotte. I go that way to work every morning and the cops seem to have really stepped up patrol in the last few months. Guess it's a sign of the economic times.

Mark

Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Perhaps but I was already ahead of him but in the right lane... I was doing at least 25-30mph faster than him. Apparently he decided to race I guess, I dunno but I assure you that it wasn't a race, it was him taking a knife to a gunfight....

Anyway, this thread is NOT about any kind of racing, just another idiot on the road not thinking....

Mark
I would guess that the G35 got mad that you were passing on the right. Now, there's nothing that says this is wrong under the circumstances you describe, but I will bet that this was a vigilante-style attempt at disciplining you.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
On the way back from the airport the other day on H1 this stupid ***** decide that she want to go from the far left lane and get off at the exit with about 150ft of travel. I would have gotten over it had she not cut in between 2 cars that were just under a car length apart. The guy in the back (God bless him) handle his car great and didn't lose control of his car when he slammed on his brakes. Man if they had wrecked it would have been a huge (I mean epic) car pile up. Man I am just going to start calling the cops and start reporting people for wreckless driving or better yet get a camera and start recording so that I can back up me up in my claims.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
I was merging onto the highway today and had a minivan actually go from the center lane into the merging lane to get off at the next exit...more than a mile and a half up.
Well I have one from today that this reminded me of:
I'm on 495 going eastbound in a 55 (I hate NY speed limits) doing about 70 (thats the real speed limit unless you wanna get rear ended by some chick putting on her makeup)
Anyway, I see a Ferrari F430 about 100 yards up in the right lanes, I'm in the far left. So naturally being that I have a 45min drive to my grandmother's house I punch it a little and get up right behind him...more to have something pretty to look while I look forward than anything else.
Long story short he starts in and out of lanes with me in tow trying to keep up (Playfully mind you, I wasn't up his ***). I'm happy to say that my 1989 v6 Buick still hangs on at 95 weaving in and out of traffic...though I think I got that out of my system for a bit lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention the speedo only goes up to i think 80...but we were long past 80. 95 is a ballpark.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
zanary
4th Gear
My "A"-Hole story has to do with the fact that I have the new Cabrio and a set of 2 year old twins. I've had a "Mini-Van" mom roll down her window, and have the nerve to tell me how I'm probably the most irresponsible father for having two toddler seats in my Mini Convertible and letting them drive with me with the top down. The lady actually told me to grow up and act like a responsible father and get an "age appropriate" family car rather than act like a teenager.

I answered her with a "Have a Nice Day", while I heard her kids screaming in the back of the minivan. As I pulled away from the light, I turned around and saw my kids enjoying the top down motoring (hands in the car, saying more and again over and over) you can only get in a Mini Cabrio.

No offense to all the minivan moms out there, but driving my kids around in the new Cabrio while topless, doesn't make me an irresponsible father. It says that I can still have a little fun while being the best father and the best husband I can be. Nothing wrong with that in my books.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Man I am just going to start calling the cops and start reporting people for wreckless driving
Everyone better start getting into accidents, then, lest you report them for not wrecking their cars.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Why do people have to be A-HOLES? I don't get it...
Testosterone poisoning, stupidity, narcissism...

Did he think you were tailgating him up the onramp?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mauberley
Everyone better start getting into accidents, then, lest you report them for not wrecking their cars.
Sorry for the misspell. Also for the one who is an irresponsible father (supposedly) Motor on. I am actually shocked thoroughly shocked that someone who have the audacity to say something like.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
My "A"-Hole story has to do with the fact that I have the new Cabrio and a set of 2 year old twins. I've had a "Mini-Van" mom roll down her window, and have the nerve to tell me how I'm probably the most irresponsible father for having two toddler seats in my Mini Convertible and letting them drive with me with the top down. The lady actually told me to grow up and act like a responsible father and get an "age appropriate" family car rather than act like a teenager.

I answered her with a "Have a Nice Day", while I heard her kids screaming in the back of the minivan. As I pulled away from the light, I turned around and saw my kids enjoying the top down motoring (hands in the car, saying more and again over and over) you can only get in a Mini Cabrio.

No offense to all the minivan moms out there, but driving my kids around in the new Cabrio while topless, doesn't make me an irresponsible father. It says that I can still have a little fun while being the best father and the best husband I can be. Nothing wrong with that in my books.
age appropriate.... Can you say J E A L O U S that you're enjoying time with your kids in the fresh air driving the car of your choice and she's driving a freakin' minivan. I can understand why she's such a hateful BlTCH.

Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Testosterone poisoning, stupidity, narcissism...

Did he think you were tailgating him up the onramp?
Definitely not.... not only was I in the right lane of the onramp (it starts off as two) I could tell this guy was out for his leisurely Sunday drive. At that point, crawling up his behind wouldn't accomplish anything so I just lagged behind and once he moved over, I continued my normal speed.

In answer to another poster, it was obvious after I blew by him and merged over that he purposely jumped on it. It wasn't a playful jump neither, it was a "don't get in front of me" tailgate.

Anyway, not a big deal, just wanted to rant... it seems yesterday had it's share of stupid people.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Typical G35/37/Acura TL/Civic Si driver .

Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I'm in 4th gear and instead of downshifting, I crank it up. I can tell he punches it but I pull so hard on him, there ain't no catching up.
UNPOSSIBLE! Your dyno numbers aren't high enough to do things like that...

See what more area under the curve can do?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
UNPOSSIBLE! Your dyno numbers aren't high enough to do things like that...

See what more area under the curve can do?
Yeah Paul, you were right.... lol, I've had some fun times recently with the new tune.

Mark

Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Oooo, an A-Hole Rant THread! I can do this. I swear to GOD that it is an absolute requirement you DO NOT EVER YIELD in Virigina - you can't get your drivers' license without this requirement. I have driven in innumerable states and countries - both right hand and left hand drives, I might add - and Virginia is one of the top for worst drivers. Just yesterday, hubband was driving (his unexciting bimmer) and as we're exiting, a semi- decided HE was going to exit, too...right on top of us. Luckily, we both caught this jack-A#$*(&(%'s "oh so polite" turn signal just in time. We were NOT in his blind spots, and he had a very clear view of us - the only way he couldn't was if he was asleep.

I've had so many people swerve into my lane, it's disgusting. ARGH! In Germany, it costs almost $1,200 and A FULL YEAR to get your driving license. On top of that, you're charged YEARLY tax on each vehicle. So, yah, they might drive fast (oh, I miss Germany so much...*snif*) but they don't take driving for granted like the freaking yahoos in the U.S. Grr...

Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Oooo, an A-Hole Rant THread! I can do this. I swear to GOD that it is an absolute requirement you DO NOT EVER YIELD in Virigina - you can't get your drivers' license without this requirement. I have driven in innumerable states and countries - both right hand and left hand drives, I might add - and Virginia is one of the top for worst drivers. Just yesterday, hubband was driving (his unexciting bimmer) and as we're exiting, a semi- decided HE was going to exit, too...right on top of us. Luckily, we both caught this jack-A#$*(&(%'s "oh so polite" turn signal just in time. We were NOT in his blind spots, and he had a very clear view of us - the only way he couldn't was if he was asleep.

I've had so many people swerve into my lane, it's disgusting. ARGH! In Germany, it costs almost $1,200 and A FULL YEAR to get your driving license. On top of that, you're charged YEARLY tax on each vehicle. So, yah, they might drive fast (oh, I miss Germany so much...*snif*) but they don't take driving for granted like the freaking yahoos in the U.S. Grr...
I have said it before and I'll say it again....

I think EVERYONE in the US should have to go through some sort of driver's ed equivalent to what they do in Germany. The driving skills in this country are atrocious.

Being in the bodyshop business for over 25 years, I see this crap everyday. I'll bet if people were just a little more courteous, that would eliminate half the accidents.

But alas, I would be broke... so let the ones that drive like idiots continue to do so. A few more years and my house will be paid off.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:15 AM
markusw
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
Good response . I would have had a difficult time being nice in that situation.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 AM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
I had a dumb **** in an SUV of course merge into my lane. I honk, she sees me, she keeps coming. I love driving through Newark :P
NJ is bad anyway (though better than NY MA or MD in my experience) but the Newark area seems to have more idiots than the rest of the state combined.
And most of them don't have insurance, so why should they care if they hit you?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
I like to take the opposite approach when somebody's riding my azz. Tapping the brakes and slowing to the speedlimit (or below) is fun. Downtown I try to speed up just enough catch a crowd - even better behind a bus - punch it and change left at just the last moment and leave the azz rider fuming behind Mr Public Transit.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
I like to take the opposite approach when somebody's riding my azz. Tapping the brakes and slowing to the speedlimit (or below) is fun.
Slowing sometimes works. Sometimes it just intensifies road rage. Pulling over to let the person by can calm a person's rage. I knew a woman who commuted on a small country road. She made a lot of friends by pulling over when someone came up behind her.

In California, because of an insurance scam that became popular, braking to interfere with the car behind you is now illegal.

Downtown I try to speed up just enough catch a crowd - even better behind a bus - punch it and change left at just the last moment and leave the azz rider fuming behind Mr Public Transit.
Once in a business area I was doing the speed limit in the rain. Some guy in a small pickup was tailgating and glaring at me. Most traffic makes a left turn about a block ahead, as I was going to do. So, I kept my speed and didn't slow for the left. He was so consentrated on me that he wasn't aware that I wasn't slowing for the turn. For my Michelins, the rain was no problem. I was far from the limit in my car. He, however, had problems. When I glanced in my rearview after the turn I saw him fishtailing like crazy. He was laughing. He knew he had been got. Hopefully he learned a little bit about the limitations of unloaded pickup trucks.

Another time I was driving up Laureles Grade in Carmel Valley and doing at least the speed limit. From Hwy 68 there is a climb with wide curves, a straight at the top, and then some tight S curves. A guy in a black SUV came up behind me on the climb and tailgated me through the straight. This is an area with side roads and deer. So, "traffic" can pop out unexpectedly. When you get to the curves, there is a cut-away cliff wall on one side and no intersecting roads. So, no side "traffic" likely. I can comfortably do the whole road at the overall speed limit.

So, with this bozo on my tail I don't slow for the curves. I hear a great screeching of tires behind me and look back. The SUV is on the wrong side of the road on a curve. If a car had been coming the other way, it would have been serious carnage. I think I'll try to avoid playing that trick in the future.

Quick Reply: R56 Why do people have to be A-HOLES? I don't get it...