R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Replacement

Any mechanics on the list?

The dealer says I need a timing chain / idler gear / rail replacement at 77,000 miles, 1200 labor and around 600 in parts. They say they will cover the parts and i'll only have to pay the labor.

Any chance once they open his up it could turn into a more expensive job?

Anyone on the list her in jersey doing this work for a reasonable rate......or would you say since they are covering the parts it's a good deal?

I wanted to trade mine in...its an 07 S....i owe 19,000 and all they'll give me is 13,500. I'm thinking about trying to sell it privately

Thanks
Bobby

Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never heard of anyone changing a timing chain at 77K EVER. They should really be good for the life of the vehicle with maybe some tightening needed only. If you ever would have to replace one it should only be after 150K or more.

Timing belts get replaced around 80-100K

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ecupip
I have never heard of anyone changing a timing chain at 77K EVER. They should really be good for the life of the vehicle with maybe some tightening needed only. If you ever would have to replace one it should only be after 150K or more.

Timing belts get replaced around 80-100K
Should is the operative word- the infamous cold-start rattle is caused by the oil-pressurized timing chain tensioner failing. It has a bad check valve which lets it fill with air over a few hours, and it takes the car a few minutes to purge the air from the timing chain tensioner.

The rattle comes from the loose timing chain beating itself inside the chain guides, and the lack of tension causes the chain, sprockets and timing chain guides to wear very quickly.

Check around here a bit and at other websites (http://www.r56mcs.com for one, established specifically for this issue) and there's reports of failing timing chains and valve/head crashes.

@ecupip:

Any chance you've had the car in previously to complain about the cold-start rattle? I'd had multiple trips to my dealer where it was noted, but was told it was 'normal'.

At 76000K, it started making the noise much louder and more frequently- it also started sounding much more diesel-like after the car warmed up, or from 3K RPM on up.

I had to be persistent with the dealer, but after a few call backs and letting them know I was aware of the cause of issue (that could have been taken care of under the warranty had it been addressed during my previous visits), it was eventually pushed up the ladder to MINI USA where they agreed to cover it as a one-time complimentary repair.

The dealers probably take something like half-rate on labor for warranty repairs, which is probably why you're seeing the offer for labor only- if you've got any leverage from previous complaints, (and if it were me) I'd let them know you think it should be covered under the warranty.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Bobbyn
3rd Gear
hey guys,

thanks for the replys... i talked with the dealer today and he said that there was no bulletin on this and parts was all he could provide. perhaps if i can find a bunch of posts on this it would support my cause. is there a formal way to push this up the ladder at mini usa? i drive 35 to 50k a year and i've never had a timing chain failure before...
btw this is my second mini

bobby

Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
I'm also in the 50K/Year club

I don't know of a formal way to move the issue to Mini USA- in my case I just kept telling the dealer I wanted it done under warranty because they had given the car the OK while it was under warranty. But I also had my past service records and my notes about my complaints to back it up- if you haven't had them look at it before, you may have better luck contacting (800) ASK-MINI directly?

The cold-start rattle fix that replaces these similar components is listed under SIM #11 02 07, but I believe that for that to apply the dealership has to be able to reproduce the rattle before this applies.

Out of curiosity, how was the problem found? Was it inspected as a trade-in, or did you bring it in for some other reason?