R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Going from 16's to 17's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
From what I'm told by Alta the OEM lug bolts are a pain in the a$$ to use with this rim in that I will scratch the lug holes with my torque wrench. So of course my next question is does anyone know of a place that I can buy these "tuner" lug bolts in black? Thanks again
I haven't seen any black lug bolts available. I've heard rumors about non-scratch sockets, but haven't found one. I've heard that people have used electricians tape, or better yet, 1" heat shrink tubing to put a non-scratch coating on the end of the 17mm socket. I may try the heat shrink tubing sometime.

Some people convert from lug bolts to lug nuts with kits from Texas Speed Works. They have black, IIRC. Personally, I prefer the bolts and use wheel hangers to make it easy to put the wheel in place. I don't like the idea of dragging the aluminium lug holes over steel threads.

Oh and this crisscross tire rotation..... Is that front goes to back and opposite back goes to front? I'm usually a straight front / rear kind of swapper.
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
Front to back is the standard rotation method. The "X" pattern only applies to non-directional tires (e.g., the Michelin PE2). Not sure about the Grids. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&
No, no, no! The X pattern is the standard method. Back to front is just for directional tires.

Or, maybe the Front Cross method is the standard...

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 AM
t0ad
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soggy-1
TOad:

Are those the Rota RB in Hyper Black? Right now I am running 205x50x16 tires on 16x7.5 wheels. The ride is good and it does handle very well. Considering 215x50x16 tires since they are the same diameter as stock, although the 205x50's with their lower gear ratio makes around town driving real zippy with the automatic trans.
Nope, mine are gunmetal. They're pretty dark though.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
well my tires from tirerack just got here in 20 hours and they do have arrows on them so I will be rotating front to back. Now I have to take apart my brother in law's wheels and get the tpms sensors off....he is junking the wheels and tires so I was thinking of just cutting the tire so that I can get it off the wheel - any other suggestions?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
well my tires from tirerack just got here in 20 hours and they do have arrows on them so I will be rotating front to back. Now I have to take apart my brother in law's wheels and get the tpms sensors off....he is junking the wheels and tires so I was thinking of just cutting the tire so that I can get it off the wheel - any other suggestions?

Sounds like a plan. You might also need the little kit that includes replacement cores and washers for the TPMS. They are available through TR.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
yeah thanks - Alex quoted me $4.50 each on those - I'm waiting to pull them off first b/c I have a feeling that I may need to purchase the entire valves if somehow I break one (or two)....I've already seen at least one of the valves has a metal cap which I'm having trouble unscrewing

Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Stageleft
Neutral
TooLazy: How did this work out? I'm considering purchasing the G 019 Grids myself for our typically mild winters and wonder how you like the ride, wet/dry grip, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
The G 019 Grids are working very well. I do have to say that going from runflats to non-runflats is a more comfortable ride but I do see a slight difference in handling. The sidewalls are not as stiff. This could also be due to me going from 16's to 17's as well since the car rides a little higher at 215/45/17 than it does at 195/55/16

They are directional tires so you can only rotate front to back but I do have to say that they kick up an enormous amount of water and work well in the rain.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got Molly back from having a new set of G 019 Grids installed, so far they are quieter than the RFs, still runnin' 16s, I did notice a change in the handling as well. We have Studded Tired roads so those rougher ones were quite noisy with the RFs, I still notice the road noise, but not as bad as before.

Will definitely review these on TireRack once I've driven on them for a while. I think I made the right choice for the cost comparison of most other tires in this class.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Stageleft
Neutral
Thanks TooLazy and RJ! I appreciate the feedback, and am glad to know they're worth getting.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
16" vs 17"

I first went with a set of non-RF's on the OEM 16" S-Winders. I put on 215/45-16 Kumho Ecsta ASX's and it made a dramatic difference in ride comfort and road noise. From my sig, you see that mine is lowered on the Mach V springs. Since I will eventually upgrade to a big brake system, I opted to go to 17" wheels so I went with a set of Rota RB's (Black center/polished lip) and I stayed with Kumho ASX tires but I went to a 225/45-17. I haven't noticed any change in the ride comfort and the nimble steering of the MINI is still there. This coming weekend will be my first time to do some get this set of tires out to curve up the roads but, if they work like the smaller set, I'm not worried too much about them.

If you are even thinking about going bigger on the brakes, the wheel upgrade is a good place to start.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cmcveay
I first went with a set of non-RF's on the OEM 16" S-Winders. I put on 215/45-16 Kumho Ecsta ASX's and it made a dramatic difference in ride comfort and road noise. From my sig, you see that mine is lowered on the Mach V springs. Since I will eventually upgrade to a big brake system, I opted to go to 17" wheels so I went with a set of Rota RB's (Black center/polished lip) and I stayed with Kumho ASX tires but I went to a 225/45-17. I haven't noticed any change in the ride comfort and the nimble steering of the MINI is still there. This coming weekend will be my first time to do some get this set of tires out to curve up the roads but, if they work like the smaller set, I'm not worried too much about them.

If you are even thinking about going bigger on the brakes, the wheel upgrade is a good place to start.
Any rubbing issues with the 225/45 17. That setup is rather tall.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 AM
loud9266
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Up intil this morning I was all set to move into a set of aftermarket 17's with UHP, Z rated Michelein Pilot Plus all seasons. Then I talked to one of the SA's at my dealer [initially about the advanteages of a strut bar]. Although they look better, they do offer a much harsher ride. So instead I will be using the money to fund the Stage 1 JCW upgrade and keep my 16" Crown spokes with the Michelins in a 16" wheel.

Any comments about my plan?
im envious

Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
After driving an MCS with 16" tires I will probably be switching to 16" Rota RBs when these tires get worn out enough!!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I love the look of the Rota RB wheels. Post pix.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemeanie357
After driving an MCS with 16" tires I will probably be switching to 16" Rota RBs when these tires get worn out enough!!
I had a set of 16" Rota RBs in silver. If you are using OEM brake pads I'd recommend the black with polished rims. They probably wont show brake dust as much. The RBs are a classic look for the MINI, but are not the easiest to clean. Lots of surfaces that a brush wont hit easily.

When I damaged the RBs I switched to Rota Slipstream 16x7 Gunmetal with a polished rim. The Slipstreams are lighter weight than the RBs by a couple lbs., and easier to clean. However, after switching to Bobcat brake pads, brake dust is no longer an issue.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I went from 17's to 16's, and am much happier. Stick with your 16's. The 17's were harder riding, and unlike the 17's give you protection against curb rash. The sidewalls on 17 tires do not have enough bulge in them to protect the wheel lips.