R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 WTF IS THIS?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
longsx3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both myself and my DD(13) have burned ourselves on my MC. I don't care were the pipes come out whether it is center or to the right they should not come out past the bumper.

How many complaints does it take to initiate a recall?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Branto
1st Gear
There is a recall.

My exhaust was shortened at my last service.

Hated to have my pipes cut, but wearing shorts everyday was a hazard with taking items out of the boot. Maybe I am just too old to move quick enough to avoid getting the MINI brand on my legs.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I refused the recall on my tail pipes last time I went in for my annual oil change, they said ok and left them alone.

What ever happened with the goo on the hood?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by planeguy
since nobody has bothered to say it.....you don't "fix" flaws in the paint with wax or detailer
Originally Posted by planeguy
If that doesnt get rid of the flaws... Then and only then should you talk of a new hood

Yeah, well you don't fix flaws by replacing hoods neither.

Get some 2000 or 2500 wetsand paper. (only if you have and are capable of using a buffer) if not, go to a bodyshop or detailer. (most detailers don't use high speed buffers, they use orbital polishers)

Anyway, wetsand the spot, it may or may not remove the discoloration depending on how deep it goes in the clearcoat.

Once it is buffed, you'll know if that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't, then you'll either have to live with it or repaint the hood.... however, in either case, you wouldn't "replace the hood".

Painting a hood for your car should be 250-300 bucks roughly.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I refused the recall on my tail pipes last time I went in for my annual oil change, they said ok and left them alone.
Same with my dealer. They mention there was a recall for them at my last service. Asked if I wanted it done, I said no. end of discussion. They weren't pushy at all.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
What is funny is that i didn't burn myself until i got the letter and 2 days later i got a quick scorch.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
tgs91
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
What is funny is that i didn't burn myself until i got the letter and 2 days later i got a quick scorch.
I was just the opposite, burned my leg and 3 days later got the recall letter. 'Damn' I thought at the time 'These guys are good'!

By the By the other part of this thread about the hood stain. Looks like it was blown past. Wax will do nothing for this one. Clay Bar first, if that doesn't get rid of it try a polish like Prima Swirl. Hand apply if you don't have a polisher but would clean up allot quicker if you have one or can borrow one. Follow up with a good quality wax (Prima Epic, Griot's, etc)

Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't gotten burned, but I had the pipe recall done. The change is very small. You could probably manage to burn yourself post recall.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Vivek
1st Gear
I have as of yet not burned myself on my JAC, which I am glad for. However, if I had an MCS, I'm pretty sure I'd have burned myself multiple times...center pipes that stick out? Yeah, no thanks. They better have changed that for 09.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Exhaust pipe is hot. Do not touch it when it is hot.

Problem solved, I just saved BMW another million dollar recall campaign.

Common sense prevails!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Yeah, well you don't fix flaws by replacing hoods neither.

Get some 2000 or 2500 wetsand paper. (only if you have and are capable of using a buffer) if not, go to a bodyshop or detailer. (most detailers don't use high speed buffers, they use orbital polishers)

Anyway, wetsand the spot, it may or may not remove the discoloration depending on how deep it goes in the clearcoat.

Once it is buffed, you'll know if that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't, then you'll either have to live with it or repaint the hood.... however, in either case, you wouldn't "replace the hood".

Painting a hood for your car should be 250-300 bucks roughly.

HTH's,

Mark
I agree, someone saying they're going to replace the hood because of a paint defect is like saying your going to replace a door for a door ding . That's what body shops are for .

Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a bird poop on my bonnet and didn't notice it until the end of the day. By the time I got it off it had etched the paint. I used a random orbital and some light polish. I never did get all of the etching out. I can only spot it in my garage under the flourscent lights and if you didn't know where it was I doubt you could find it. Out in the bright sunlight there is no way I can see it and I know where it's at.

It still ticks me off but not enough to repaint the hood or worry too much about it. I do carry a "kit" in the car now and look it over closely before driving to remove anything that shouldn't be there. The experts tell me the etching can't be removed without a repaint of that area. It's not worth doing it. The poop landed right behind the scoop where it's hot and just beyond the front end protection. Bird poop is dangerous to your cars paint.

Pat

Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I know the feeling, I had a rock ding my hood just under the scoop. It didn't just chip the paint, it dinged the hood! Took it to a paintless dent removal shop and they said it was too close to the lip where the scoop is, the only thing they could do is repaint the entire hood . I touched it up with touch up paint and unless you look closely you can't see it, but I know it's there and I feel like everyone focuses on that one spot. In a way I feel better now, got my first ding, it's over, I can move on now and not be so ****...

Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UA777222
The burn is a common thing, I just know to stand to the side.

The stuff on the hood? Cosmoline--can't do anything about that. I have it on both sides of my hood. Not going to get it fixed until the rest of the hot-season is over so as not to have to redo it again.

Still love my car to death. 1.5 months old, 2222 miles, plenty of little quirks, none big enough to make me even doubt the purchase.
Yeaaah when a car's that expensive.. it's called quirks..

sigh

Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
K wow im sorry but people need to get over the exhaust tips issue. There is a solution for it now for those that are having issues with it so please.

Heres what I do: I always stand a little bit away from the rear of the car if im unloading the boot in case the bumper has dirt particles on it so not to scratch the paint.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
I've had bugs splatter on my bonnet

and even after several washing i can still see the "halo" of where it used to be

annoys me to no end how poor our paint is

Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I agree, someone saying they're going to replace the hood because of a paint defect is like saying your going to replace a door for a door ding . That's what body shops are for .

You'd be surprised how many customers I get in that had no idea that new parts don't come painted....

I always tell them, "fine, I'll order the new part and THEN you can pay me to paint it but now I have to blend the adjacent panels..."

Originally Posted by Ottoman_FD3S
I've had

bugs splatter on my bonnet

and even after several washing i can still see the "halo" of where it used to be

annoys me to no end how poor our paint is

Otto,

If you do what I told the OP, you'll probably have the same results. It should remove it.

And just for the record, I ASSURE you that the paint on our cars is far better than most manufacturers. I KNOW!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush

Otto,

If you do what I told the OP, you'll probably have the same results. It should remove it.

And just for the record, I ASSURE you that the paint on our cars is far better than most manufacturers. I KNOW!!!

Really? I have a couple friends with E90 and E92's.. so far they seem to be fairing better than me

and my previous e39 M5 was far far better..

other ppls doors leave not only dings.. but Marr the paint as well...
or sometimes no dings only paint damage...

I should take pics and make a seperate thread about it...

heck this one time, someones watch hit the edge of my door frame and took the paint off to the metal...

thanks for the advice tho.. I'll have to try it..