R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Pure Silver vs Sparkling Silver...or even the Camden's new White Silver??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
asp1880
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choose the colour with your heart

Originally Posted by Danae
They just happened to have two Minis parked right next to each other on the lot, one SS and one PS, which made comparison much easier. At first I liked them both, but as the sun started to get lower in the sky, that dreaded green tinge REALLY showed up on the SS. Crap! I really did not care as much for the color after that, even though the Tuscan Beige interior clearly would work beautifully with it.

So that leaves me with... Pure Silver. But with Tuscan Beige? I still don't know about that one. My MA was kind enough to park one with a TB interior next to one with a PS exterior so I could eyeball the open door of one against the exterior of the other. Can't say I love the combo, but then again, Robin might be right about considering them as two separate things. Besides, there are plenty of silver accents on the Mini interior, so maybe that would help tie it all together.

But, if I settle for that but don't really adore it, am I going to spend the rest of my Mini ownership years regretting having gotten that combo?

Decision paralysis! Augh!
On the silver colours, I've got one word for you: yawn. Half the world's cars are some shade of silver. I think the MINI deserves better than such a "plain vanilla" colour choice (yes I'm a silver-hater).

Lots of people choose silver because it's practical (dirt doesn't show) and it's good for resale value. Those reasons are just so boring and the MINI deserves better.

There are two consumer mindsets: maximisers and satisfiers.
Maximisers explore every option and go to great lengths to make the perfect choice. Satisfiers quickly pick the first choice that's good enough. Maximisers are more often than satisfiers unhappy about their choice in the long term, because they keep agonising over their choice or something better comes along later and they feel they should have waited.

Your colour-choice approach is maximiser. You seem to eliminate colour after colour when you find faults and flaws with them, like the "SS green tinge ... crap { ... snip ... } So that leaves me with... Pure Silver". Sad to see there's no colour in the palette that evokes your passion.

You wrote "Can't say I love the combo ...". Well then don't get it then. With the MINI, get a car that you'll love, at least some of the time. And then live with its shortcomings the rest of its time.

Your final paragraphs in the quote above, about regret, is also a typical maximiser sign.

In short: be more of a satisifer and choose with your heart on the colour issue.

Sorry about the incohesive rant. Silver just pushes a button with me. Good luck on your purchase.

Sincerely,
--Anders.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
...I like the green shade SS becomes when it's overcast. It's almost olive. But that's why colour choice is such a personal decision.

I'm also a fan of how well SS hides winter grime. It's the best at this out of all the colours, I think; better than pure silver.

@Anders: I can see how silver might bug you. Prior to the MINI, we had a silver car, and before that, we had a silver car... it's a nice colour that looks good on almost any car, but it just got a bit too boring and common. Like brown cars in the 70's.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by asp1880
Maximisers explore every option and go to great lengths to make the perfect choice. Satisfiers quickly pick the first choice that's good enough. Maximisers are more often than satisfiers unhappy about their choice in the long term, because they keep agonising over their choice or something better comes along later and they feel they should have waited.

Your colour-choice approach is maximiser. You seem to eliminate colour after colour when you find faults and flaws with them, like the "SS green tinge ... crap { ... snip ... } So that leaves me with... Pure Silver".
You are quite right: I have seen this description of Maximizer/Satisfier before and yes, I have long known which one I am. In Myers-Briggs terms, a Maximizer would be called a Perceiver. It is a part of my temperament, just like anyone's, and just as unlikely to change. I like choices. Choices make me happy. Hence my gravitation toward such a customizable car as a Mini. But I don't like it when my ideal choice no longer exists. You see:

Sad to see there's no colour in the palette that evokes your passion.
Yes, quite sad... because there WAS a color that evokes my passion: Lightning Blue. Which is no longer available. Quite aggravating.

Robin: thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of red, inside or out. My MA also suggested that to me tonight, as the red leather is one of his favorites. My tastes (with the exception of a certain specific range of blues) tend to run towards the neutrals. Call me boring, but the car is supposed to be about what I like, isn't it? I saw the Tuscan Beige interior tonight and I am quite fond of it. (See, asp1880? I can make up my mind about some things. )

Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
I like the red leather but not the red plastic trim bits that go with it. :( If I'd ordered to specification I might've asked for a red leather with the regular old black trim bits.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I took Viola in for service, there was a lady taking delivery of a Horizon Blue/Black MINI with a tuscan beige interior. I LOVED the interior with the blue, but I think I would have chosen to go with a white roof and white bonnet stripes if possible. Horizon blue is not that exciting of a color when paired with black, but with white... I think it would be stunning.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
Isn't it one of the MINI's features to be able to customize our cars like we do? So to each his/her own! Some people like white roofs, some people like black. Some people like chrome, some don't. Some like stripes, some like racing stripes, some don't like them at all... some like Lounge Leather, some like cloth! Didn't MINI say somewhere that there were like 1,000,000 configurations?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lots of people choose silver because it's practical (dirt doesn't show) and it's good for resale value. Those reasons are just so boring and the MINI deserves better.
There are a few other reasons. Silver reflects heat well, so a good color for sunny climates. Some of us believe that red cars (my second choice for a car color) are perceived treated by cops (driving while red). And finally, silver cars are safer than other color cars. According to one study, silver cars are "50 percent less likely to be involved in a serious injury accident than white." Brown is the most dangerous at 110% more likely than white. Black was right behind brown at 100% more likely than white (I assume that means 200% more likely than silver).

I'm definitely guilty of being a maximiser. However, this misses something that I've felt. With some of my choices, in the long run, I've taken pleasure in the fact that I researched my choice and it proved to be a good decision. There is some pride and pleasure in having done it right.

You wrote "Can't say I love the combo ...". Well then don't get it then. With the MINI, get a car that you'll love, at least some of the time. And then live with its shortcomings the rest of its time.
I believe Danae's problem is that there isn't a combo she loves. What she loves has been discontinued, and nothing else quite matches that. That is the dilemma.

Originally Posted by carsncars
Isn't it one of the MINI's features to be able to customize our cars like we do? So to each his/her own! Some people like white roofs, some people like black. Some people like chrome, some don't. Some like stripes, some like racing stripes, some don't like them at all... some like Lounge Leather, some like cloth!
A good point. When someone is trying to decide how to configure their MINI, there are pros and cons that can be discussed, but it doesn't help when we just get into rooting for what we like.

Didn't MINI say somewhere that there were like 1,000,000 configurations?
I think that is far too few.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
hpaco
2nd Gear
Sparkling Silver looks great:

Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I somehow missed this thread on its first run. How funny that the OP ended up with BRG (according to her signature, anyway).

But yeah, I agree that SS would've been the way to go. Oh well, not all of us can have amazing taste. Besides, we don't want our lovely color to become as common as PW has.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wineguy
I have Pure Silver, wasn't my first choice but now I love it. Don't really care for the Sparkling Silver, it does look more champagne in color and haven't seen the new White Silver. Robin is right, go to the dealer and look at them in person.

The painted JCW kit looks AWESOME!!!!! x100

Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
kalililly
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
I somehow missed this thread on its first run. How funny that the OP ended up with BRG (according to her signature, anyway).

But yeah, I agree that SS would've been the way to go. Oh well, not all of us can have amazing taste. Besides, we don't want our lovely color to become as common as PW has.
Yep, no accounting for taste...although the BRG with the Tuscan interior will be nice. BRG would have been our second choice. But didn't like the 'tinge of green'?? And then go BRG??

Old 11-17-2009, 07:52 PM
T8rChick
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tater Tot
NOW WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I have Sparkling Silver, and I really like the color and it doesn't show dirt at all. I don't see alot of them on the road either, which is nice. No stripes or anything just yet, just stock. But I do like Sparkling Silver or as I like to call it Champagne.
Taters do love the SS!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kalililly
Yep, no accounting for taste...although the BRG with the Tuscan interior will be nice. BRG would have been our second choice. But didn't like the 'tinge of green'?? And then go BRG??
Lol! I just checked back in on this thread after a long absence. You are right, no accounting for taste.. and believe me, I was the last person to think I'd end up with a green car. I don't usually care for green in any form, BUT... when I saw BRG at the dealer, it actually stopped me in my tracks. I thought, wow, if I *were* going for green, that is the one I'd get!! That precise shade of green is pretty much the only one I've ever liked. And there's a big difference between the gorgeous BR green and the, um, 'unexpected' shade of olive that shows up in SS, IMO. Sorry, SS lovers... I like champagne too, but in my mind it's supposed to stay champagne.

So it went like this: 1st choice: Lightning Blue: unavailable. 2nd choice: Pure Silver: unavailable. 3rd choice: Sparkling Silver: great until the wrong light hits it...and not sold on the SS/TB combo. Only remaining possibility for me was BRG. Amazingly enough, I think I'll be happy with it!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you get white stripes?

Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Danae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Did you get white stripes?
Not from the factory. I was going to, but then I saw this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...55-post13.html

...and fell in love with T8rChick's stripes. I love the idea of doing something similar for mine. Girly, yes -- but awesome. I have been playing around with some custom design ideas at home to send off to either Cooper Flags or Aesthetic Creations.

No matter what, they will be white, though!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 AM
T8rChick
3rd Gear

...and fell in love with T8rChick's stripes. I love the idea of doing something similar for mine. Girly, yes -- but awesome. I have been playing around with some custom design ideas at home to send off to either Cooper Flags or Aesthetic Creations.

Thank you, thank you!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 AM
T8rChick
3rd Gear

Thank you, thank you!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!