R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Volume on radio changes on its own (???)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM
tonyro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volume on radio changes on its own (???)

Has anyone experienced this? Every now and then when I get into my car and just stick the key in (motor not started yet), the radio will be on and the volume of it will just sort of ramp up on its own. I know it's got the speed sensitive thing, but I'm like, you know, sitting in the parking lot not even moving. Oh, and it's the "upgraded" HI FI stereo.

I mentioned it when I took my car in, and they just said, "hmm, we've never heard of that before..."

So I thought I'd throw it out there to you good people.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Doesn't sound like the problem I have where the last song I was listening to was awesome, so the volume was cranked before I shut it off.

I take it that yours starts low and then just gets louder on it's own? Might be a sticky button on the MFSW or the volume **** is farked.

Just a guess.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM
MiniNova
3rd Gear
Yeah that is so you don't get your ears blown away when you stick the key on and forgot you had the radio volume up when you last used the car, it will go back to whatever volume setting you had after 2 seconds or so of putting the key in, it's a nice feature actually.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
tonyro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
Doesn't sound like the problem I have where the last song I was listening to was awesome, so the volume was cranked before I shut it off.

I take it that yours starts low and then just gets louder on it's own? Might be a sticky button on the MFSW or the volume **** is farked.

Just a guess.
I don't have the MFSW, and yeah, mine starts low and gets louder on it's own.

Not every time, just sometimes.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
tonyro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniNova
Yeah that is so you don't get your ears blown away when you stick the key on and forgot you had the radio volume up when you last used the car, it will go back to whatever volume setting you had after 2 seconds or so of putting the key in, it's a nice feature actually.
Hmm. This is interesting. I'll have to experiment with this.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Xyclone
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniNova
That sounds right, and it is what I deduced as well. If the volume was all the way up on my iPod, it doesn't mean that I want full volume of commercial garbage on the radio while I reconnect my iPod. Nice feature.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually this is adjustable in the service setting of the car. Most dealers do not know how to do it.

There are two volume settings

1. Auto Volume Setting - level at which you want the volume when you get in the car and drive off.

2. Pre volume level at which the volume starts and then ramps up the Auto Volume Setting

DO NOT adjust any of the other setting you may find under teh directions blow you may screw up your cars radio. i.e. it could only play japanese or other european radio stations, or affectt he way the antena filter works etc. Really hsty things could happen and if you do not know what the exact setting was prior to changing it you could be screwed. I take no responcibility for anything going wrong with your radio if you try to open the Radio Service Adjustments screens

To make these adjustments:

1. unlock car - DO NOT insert key and DO NOT start the car
2. turn radio on (press the volume button)
3. press and hold the "m" button for 12-15 seconds. the screen should change.
4. press the + button until you get to DSP Volume (the screen show the DSP 0 V ?) rotate the volume control to the setting you wan the volume at for normal listening when you get inthe car. i.e. the Auto Volume Setting.
5. press + to get to the TSP screen - press the = or - button to set the Pre-Volume.
6. turn off the radio by pressing the volume button.

There are few notes I need to make here.

Now on my car I find that the pre volume is only used if the car has been off for more than 30 minutes. i.e. get in the car inthe morning and start car pre volume is used, stop at coffe shop 10 minutes pre volume is NOT used, get to work turn car off and come out one hour later to go to lunch and pre volume is used, get back in car after lunch <30 minutes prevolume not used >30 minutes Pre Volume used. Other cars i have tested have had +/- 20 minutes of the time on my car for timeout. I have also seen one car where adjusting these made no difference at all in the startup volume, but that car also had a different software version number listed.

EDIT: a note for all of you there is a NAV and AUDIO section where this thread should be as this is standard to all 2nd Gen cars. If you had looked there all of this has been covered in other threads in that section.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
MiniNova
3rd Gear
Very interesting, but I think I'll leave mine as it is, don't need more radio issues, mine really goes crazy on his own sometimes and stops working for about 5 mins, but it's good to know there are "hidden" settings, Thanks!