R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If your Mini is a victim of cosmoline and you know it, clap your hands

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
uber.bucket
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread!

I was trying to figure out what the heck to name the stain running down my front fenders...now I know it's cosmoline

with that said, I picked up my Mini earlier this month in TX (I live in CA) and I noticed this stain on the fender upon my date of pickup. The salesman assured me I could pressure wash the stain off with warm water and it will go away... I was concerned because I know heat + chemicals usually = bad ... and judging from the 1400+ mile drive I had in front of me, this could eat into the plastic. He assured me again that it would be fine and it would wash off.

He was 50% correct...better than 0% I suppose

My right arch was corroded and physically 'melted' from the stain..the left side washed away fine though. I'm confused to say the least, but I'm happy to hear I can get this replaced on Mini's bar tab

MINI looks amazing right now (spent 5+ hrs on a wash/clayback/polish/wax yesterday) but his Cosmoline scar is so unsightly :(

This is the only place i've noticed any staining though..nothing on the rear section. I'll make sure to throw a rag and cleaner in the utility bag asap

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
bottomfeeder1
2nd Gear
I've had my MCS about a month and have been hoping to dodge the cosmo bullet, but got nailed by it today! Dang!

I'm going to try the paper towel trick and see how it goes. Good luck, my fellow cosmo sufferers!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:59 AM
bssiesmth
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clap! I did remove it on time, though.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
I've had the car for 5 months and had numerous cosmoline drips on both front sides of the wheel well. Fortunately, I know where to look and wipe them up. It's a pain in the rear to see it though after just washing the car. If the stain line looks permanent I'll mention it to the dealer (need to have a rattle fixed as well).

Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Ok so Wikipedia helped me to understand a bit about what cosmoline is but I'm still not sure what it looks like. Does anybody have any pix? Is cosmoline something that is more susceptable to heat? I noticed a number of you mentioned it dripping down.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Heat causes the substance to liquify and run, yes. Open your Bonnet and look for a Yellowish substance around bolt heads. It's easy to clean up with a Solution of 50/50 Simple Green and Water. Spary it on, let set for a min. or two, wipe off with a MF Towel. This goes for both under the Bonnet and Wheel Arches. Once you've cleaned the Arches follow with an application of Black Wow, applied with a Round Foam Rubber applicator. With regular cleaning the stains will disappear.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Heat causes the substance to liquify and run, yes. Open your Bonnet and look for a Yellowish substance around bolt heads. It's easy to clean up with a Solution of 50/50 Simple Green and Water. Spary it on, let set for a min. or two, wipe off with a MF Towel. This goes for both under the Bonnet and Wheel Arches. Once you've cleaned the Arches follow with an application of Black Wow, applied with a Round Foam Rubber applicator. With regular cleaning the stains will disappear.
RJKimbell- I see you're in Washington. Where can you buy this stuff around here? Schucks, etc?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Clap, I've got it. Thanks for filling me in RJ, and for the clean-up tips

Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 PM
CruiseControl
4th Gear
It looks like someone squirted maple syrup on your car. It has a brownish color and it feels tacky. If dirt gets on top of it, it will stick to it. I haven't seen as much of it on my 09 as I did on my 06, mostly under the bonnet or in the jambs in the boot.

Transit coatings are applied to vehicles to prevent rust during shipment (I've seen it on domestic vehicles too). If you are at the coast, and you leave a tin coffee can outside, by the next afternoon, you will probably see it will have begun to rust. I don't think you would have wanted your MINI to be sitting outside at the port unprotected from the morning mist for a week or so. Not to mention the salt air in the ship as all the MINIs cross the pond.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:16 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ryoma111
RJKimbell- I see you're in Washington. Where can you buy this stuff around here? Schucks, etc?
You can buy Simple Green @ Homey Depot, Wal-Mart. Black Wow can be purchased from a NAM Vendor, Detailer's Paradise (www.detailersparadise.com).

I guess I should have posted SOONER!!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:39 PM
ryoma111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
You can buy Simple Green @ Homey Depot, Wal-Mart. Black Wow can be purchased from a NAM Vendor, Detailer's Paradise (www.detailersparadise.com).

I guess I should have posted SOONER!!
Thanks! Just ordered a bottle of Black Wow!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 PM
jhbjrpdx
1st Gear
Took the Blue Dude in for it's one year service yesterday. (Only 5500 miles.) Got oil, filter, wiper blades and they replaced the cosmoline stained trim on both front wheel wells. Black Wow does wonders, but it just couldn't beat those stains.

Oh, and because they could replicate the Airbag Warning Light problem, they ordered a new passenger seat bottom so that the sensors get replaced. Gotta love those folks at Rasmusen Mini in Portland. Honestly, the best service I have ever had on any car I have owned.

Now I am ready for that track day next week. Can't wait....

Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 AM
silvia
2nd Gear
After I washed my car, I noticed something dripping onto the wheel base fender (think this is what it is called)

I used the chamois to wipe it off. After several days, I noticed a faded mark on the wheel base fender. I used the chamois and it wiped out the stain. It is the Eliminator Chamois by Spongetech. It worked for me.

http://www.spongetechinc.com/products/home_care

It says chaimois not to be used on acrylic surface. Please assure me that the aero kit is not acrylic paint.

don't know anything about the mechanics of cars but LOVE mini cooper S

Last edited by silvia; 09-06-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jhbjrpdx
Took the Blue Dude in for it's one year service yesterday. (Only 5500 miles.) Got oil, filter, wiper blades and they replaced the cosmoline stained trim on both front wheel wells. Black Wow does wonders, but it just couldn't beat those stains.

Oh, and because they could replicate the Airbag Warning Light problem, they ordered a new passenger seat bottom so that the sensors get replaced. Gotta love those folks at Rasmusen Mini in Portland. Honestly, the best service I have ever had on any car I have owned.

Now I am ready for that track day next week. Can't wait....
+1

Rasmussen is a cut above...that's for sure!!
Molly was just in on Friday too JHB guess we missed ya??!! Had Breakfast @ Zell's...YUMMMMMM!!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ryoma111
Thanks! Just ordered a bottle of Black Wow!
Glad you decided to order!! Hope you gave me some Credit for the referral!!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh, so that's what that crap dripping out of the hood and onto the fenders is??!? I noticed it the first 30-60 days I've had the car, but have not noticed it dripping lately. I was wondering what the heck that was and where it was coming from...

Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 PM
budoboy
3rd Gear
I thought I'd be special and not have and issue but .... CLAP CLAP

Simple green took it off but the stain is still there. Black Wow made it look a little better but I can still see it. It was only on the fender a day or two.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Keep at the BW Treatment with time you won't have a stain!! Before each Car Washing wet down the Black Trim, Black Wow the trim, wash car you will notice a huge improvement on the discoloration.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM
sigo
1st Gear
Made appointment and finally just now took the car in for free replacement, it will be done by the time i get off work, and I also got a MINI loaner. My question to you is does anyone ever got a MINI loaner for FREE? Dealer got me a MINI loaner but I have to pay for the mileage (15 cents per mile), WTF .. I thought its FREE... I know BMW loaner is free, nothing out of the pocket.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Riffster
4th Gear
*Clapity clap*

Is there any way to get it off? I tried scrubbing but it looks like my arch is stained. boo

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Did not know about cosmoline until today. Have had Steeler for 1.5 yrs now and have not really noticed but will look today with a microscope

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Agent.COOPER
3rd Gear
Yep! Another one here... leaks on hot days, hard to get rid of... stained my front arches. Bumper hasn't been stained but has leaked. May or may not talk to the dealership about it - I've already spoken to them once when I first got the car about it and they said nothing about replacing them. Not a huuuge deal, but... if it leaks any more I feel that it will be

Anyone still need pics of the stains? If so, here's one on Basil. Not easy to see since my camera isn't the greatest... and remember that these are the stains, not the actual leak itself.

Attached Thumbnails If your Mini is a victim of cosmoline and you know it, clap your hands-cosmodrip1.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Clap for both sides. Work on it every weekend. Black Wow helps a little, but it's still there.

Glad winter is coming.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:32 AM
ArtieLA
Neutral
New car looks bad

I just bought a new 2020 Mini Cooper S. After one week I had it washed and put some Formula F11 on it. It shines beautifully, except for the cosmoline drips on the black plastic wheel wells (I don't know the actual name for the plastic part). I brought it back to the dealer and they are going to clean the plastic on both sides of the car, and will be removing any cosmoline they see inside the hood. I sure don't want to have paid all this money to end up with a car that never looks clean. My old 2008 Mini never had this problem. I'm very disappointed.