R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ordering MINI tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
EricDM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering MINI tonight!

Hi all!

New to the forum but have been lurking for days trying to read as much as I can.

Going in tonight to order the Cooper S in British Green with the Conv & Prem package as well as the Xenon lights, DTC and illuminated door sills. I'm undecided on the upgraded stereo system. I haven't heard the difference yet between the two, only drove the one model last weekend and I'm not sure which stereo system it had. Anyone have any suggestions? I love listening to my music loud, but is it really worth a 500 buck upgrade.

Very excited to order it as well as nervous. The wife says to just go for it. Been driving a Murano for 6 years and don't need the space or awful mpg (19) anymore. She has a Forrester so space won't be an issue.

eric

Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello, first of all welcome to NAM!

Secondly, congratulations on your order. Good luck with not driving yourself insane while waiting.

Third, I went with the HiFi in my 2009 because I got a convertible. With the wind noise I needed any extra power I could get, and I did not want to have an audio shop tearing apart my new car. I believe the 2010 HiFi is the same, but there is another upgrade for $1250 (in addition to the $500 for HiFi) for an H/K sound system. The H/K won't be available until December(ish) though. Anywho, I'm getting off track, I am loving my HiFi thus far.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The HiFi is a "good" upgrade. I decided against it on my current 09 MCS cause i thought the $500 would be better suited to a DIY solution.

Enjoy the car!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep us posted

Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Nice! I love the British Racing Green Minis! You're going to love it!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Plan to have fun!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
The standard audio is quite lame. The HIFI is only marginally better. If you look through the Navigation & Audio forum here, you will see that many of us are doing various stages of upgrading our audio systems.

IMO, the HIFI makes it easier to upgrade. There are more choices of speakers if you take the first step of just replacing speakers. This is the most cost-effective way to get decent audio out of a MINI.

I did that early on. After two years I'm taking it another step with a new amp. I'm still glad I have the HIFI because it is easier to access unfiltered audio signals to feed the new amp. With the standard I'd be looking at needing a CleanSweep type sound processor.

Some people think the HIFI is a waste of money. I'm glad I went for it.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My MC has HiFI, but I just got a loaner today without it. The difference in sound quality was the first thing I noticed, besides there not being any tweeters on the dash. The HiFI isn't THAT great, but it's a heck of a lot better than the standard audio. Also with standard, there is almost no bass whatsoever.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
EricDM
1st Gear
Without doubt I'll ask to hear the regular vs the Hifi before i spend 500 bucks. I'm not a huge audiophile but got used to my boss system in my Murano.

Just found out about the magnetic badges for the front of the Mini...wow am I going to have a lot of fun with this car.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
EricDM
1st Gear
BTW, thanks to everyone for their kinds words and advice so far! Can't wait to join the Washington DC Mini club!

eric

Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by EricDM
BTW, thanks to everyone for their kinds words and advice so far! Can't wait to join the Washington DC Mini club!

eric
We (DC Metro MINIs) can't wait to have yah in the club.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I listen to my iPod more in my car than anywhere else. I have the HiFi and I like it. I've read all the threads about modding the sound, how people hate it/love it. I think it's fine (I never heard the standard, I always get the factory upgrade system in every car). Rarely it distorts bass, mainly certail songs. Other songs with big bass sound great. All Mini add-ons are expensive and so is this. But I think it's better than the stock. I don't have the time and ambition to mod the system and I don't trust any local bozos to tear into it, so I'm good with what I got. And good luck with what you're getting. you'll love the freaking car I know it.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM
EricDM
1st Gear
Just got back from the Sterling, VA dealer.

Wound up ordering the 2010 S Cooper, BRG with black bonnet, Black Jack scuttles, premium and conv package, chrome exhaust, xenon lights, rear and front fog lights, DTC and illuminated door sills. I kept the standard audio, the 2009 one i test drove today seemed good enough, the cooper is such a tiny car the standard audio seemed great.

No pricing info yet as someone posted. And my rep said it's about 8 weeks for delivery. I CAN NOT WAIT!! While picking up dinner I spotted a mini in the lot and he had the chrome on the inside so I called my rep right away and added it...I think it's worth it.

Man, the S is so fun to drive, I was up to 65mph on a 35 and my wife yelled at me to slow down..had no idea I was going that fast and I'm currently driving a v6 Murano.

Jeremy-thanks for the invite...I'll def be joining the group!!!!

thanks again guys for your help/advice/support

eric

Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
jcM1N1
1st Gear
Congrats. East Coasters are lucky. You can get your MINI so much faster than we do out here in California.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 PM
skerm8
2nd Gear
NEW ORDER

ERIC! Welcome to the fun world of MINI owners. You will really enjoy the club world and being with other MINI enthusiasts. Out here in CA we have many clubs, and great places to visit in our MINI's. I am sure you will be happy with your sound system, you can always upgrade something like that later anyway. The order process will be painful, you will find yourself running home or checking on your car each and everyday to track it's process. Once that puppy is on the boat...whew! Be prepared for weeks of pond crossing. Then when you get to your dealer and see your prize sitting there waiting for you, it will be SO great! ONE huge suggestion, ASK your dealer to NOT detail your car.They tend to scratch it. Do it yourself. Buy
ZAINO. Great product. You will be glad you did. Wish I had read the thread on cleaning and detailing before I got my MINI. I wish you great luck friend. It's hard not to adore the MINI and your eyes meet each and every one going down the street! --Stacy in CA

Old 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM
skerm8
2nd Gear
BADGES

Oh, and as for the badges. They are GREAT fun. Had to take the entire front grill off to get the darn backing screwed on. Not as easy as they say it is in the directions. But there are so many to chose from. I bought a Tony Stewart #14 off his website and it fits my badge holder. I have a peace sign and a CR badge. Enjoy! --Stacy again

Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 PM
mactarkus
1st Gear
My MCS is on order too. I opted to not get the upgraded stereo because it would have added not only at least $500 but months to the delivery. I'm told they won't be able to build the upgraded stereo into MINIs until December. I listened to the standard stereo and it sounded fine to me -- I guess I have bad ears so lucky for me. My MINI will be here in about 8 weeks and every time I see one on the road, I get excited about my delivery.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
EricDM
1st Gear
Just called the 1-800-ASK-MINI number and gave it my Production number...apparently my '10 Cooper S "Gooner" was started yesterday morning. Should be done Sept 10th!!! My rep guestimated 8 weeks til delivery, think it's going to be sooner than that. Now comes the waiting!! And the second guessing... Who am I kidding...this car is going to be a blast.

About to order a ton of Prima stuff from DP to give her a nice warm bath when she gets home!

eric

Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
ROJA
1st Gear
Eric-

That is awesome, I'm so jealous. I really want to order a 2010, but I am waiting for now. Any tips on the ordering process? How much did you have to put down and is it refundable if you change your mind? Is there any negotiating on the price for orders or is it straight MSRP? The sunroof is included in the premium, right? I think I want that and the MFSW, but I do hear that it adds weight and some people get rattles and noises. But I will be coming from a convertible (Miata) and I think having a sunroof would at least give me a bit of that open air feeling!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
I got the Hifi and I am glad I did. It is noticably better than the standard system as it comes with the tweeters in the windshield columns and the deeper bass. Should you want to go the aftermarket route it would be easier as the tweeter location is ideal. Happy Motoring

Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gawannamini
I got the Hifi and I am glad I did. It is noticably better than the standard system as it comes with the tweeters in the windshield columns and the deeper bass. Should you want to go the aftermarket route it would be easier as the tweeter location is ideal. Happy Motoring
totally agreed!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 AM
EricDM
1st Gear
Roja-

I put $1000 down and didn't really ask if it was refundable since I know I won't change my mind. The sunroof is part of the package and even it rattles a bit I couldn't ever imagine having a car without a sunroof...too much fun in fall and spring.

I got the impression that we can still negotiate a bit over the price, but my rep said the prices wouldn't be too much higher...plus some of the options I wanted are now standard on the 2010 Cooper S.

eric

Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats! I'm hoping to order a BRG clubbie equipped about as yours someday so we can become a 2-MINI family.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:58 AM
ROJA
1st Gear
Originally Posted by EricDM
Roja-

I put $1000 down and didn't really ask if it was refundable since I know I won't change my mind. The sunroof is part of the package and even it rattles a bit I couldn't ever imagine having a car without a sunroof...too much fun in fall and spring.

I got the impression that we can still negotiate a bit over the price, but my rep said the prices wouldn't be too much higher...plus some of the options I wanted are now standard on the 2010 Cooper S.

eric
Thanks Eric- that is really exciting. I am with you on the sunroof and will definitely be including one in my build. I just wish it had a one-touch open feature like many other cars.

It's interesting that the final price was not set at the time of the order. It seems like they have less incentive to bargain once you've ordered and paid your deposit. But maybe if you order it with features that are unique or unusual you could have some leverage to negotiate if they don't think it will sell easily on the lot, but I doubt the dealer would appreciate that!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
EricDM
1st Gear
I think I figured that this is a special order car there is very little wiggle room. We bought my wife a LL Bean Subaru Forester last summer which was a special order and my dad, who lives to negotiate could only get like 400 bucks taken off, which he thought was good. I'll be happy with anything less than sticker price, but I'm not expecting thousands off.

Here in VA it's almost perfect autumn weather and I wish I had "Gooner" now. Bought like 200 bucks of Prima stuff to give her a bath when she does get here.

eric

Quick Reply: R56 Ordering MINI tonight!