R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Potential Mini owner inside :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
roninsoldier83
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential Mini owner inside :)

Hello there! Felt like stopping by and introducing myself. My name is Brandon, I'm out of the state of Colorado, and am considering purchasing a 2009+ Mini Cooper S. To give some background on my automotive history I currently own a 2006 Subaru STI, which like just about all of them, has been modified with the typical Subie bolt-ons, 3" turboback exhaust, intake, bigger (811cc) injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, along with JDM Spec C wheels, ALK, more negative camber/positive caster, wider tires ect. The car was tuned via OpenECU on E85 almost a year ago, and put down 326whp & 408wtq on MAC Autosport's Dynojet in Parker, CO. Needless to say the car is "fairly quick"

When I bought my Subie, I was a pretty single minded performance junkie (within reason), however, things change and people get older. I still enjoy a good spirited drive in my STI, but as a daily driver there are quite a few things I'm growing tired of:

-The wing/boy racer symbolism that goes with having an STI. The constant revving of 16 year old's in Civic's gets old. My car has also been broken into, where all of my gauges, Garmin & radar detector were stolen, which, again having a car that attracts the attention of juveniles isn't such a great thing.

-Harsh ride. I'm a former track junkie, and at first the ride quality didn't bother me, as I came from owning a Mazdaspeed 6, 350Z, WRX, Toyota MR2 Turbo, DSM ect, I was fairly accustomed to a stiff suspension... and the spring rates aren't so much what bothers me, it's more the dampening rates! Subaru uses inverted struts and IMO the dampening rates are over-dampened/undersprung, read: bobble head. Extremely bouncy over Colorado's harsh roads.

-Cheap interior. When new, this was a $33k car, and the interior comes from a $18k Impreza 2.5i. Granted it has blue alcantara over the seats, but the rest just feels cheap. Cheap dash, multi-colored pieced together interior... for instance, the gauges are RED, and yet the center console controls are all backlit GREEN, air bag light on the clock is YELLOW, readout on the compass mirror is TURQUOISE ect. They really pieced it together without much thought in the "fit & finish" department, which for the amount of performance you get for the money, I guess it should be expected.

-Steering feedback. Seriously, for a car this performance oriented, the steering feedback is minimal, it's overly vague & numb. Not to mention twitchy. Hard to read what the chassis is doing through the wheel... makes me seriously miss my 350Z & MR2.

-Lack of sound deadening. Now, I don't mind a little road noise, but this thing is pretty loud. Subaru tried to save weight wherever possible to include removing sound deadening. Tire noise, wind noise, engine noise, you name it, and lots of it. Gets old after a while.

Those are my basic complaints... on the plus side, I LOVE the mid-range torque! I love powering out of a corner, this thing has insane amounts of grip! Brakes are relatively fade free (Brembo's with HPS pads, slotted rotors, SS braided lines & RBF600 fluid), although pedal modulation sucks, the brakes get the job done. This car is also phenomenal in the snow with a good set of winter tires. It also has a relatively low maintenance schedule, I'm at nearly 41k miles, and the only time it's "been in the shop", it was self caused, as I botched up a PITA turbo inlet hose install haha. Other than that, it's been solid as a rock, running on an alternative fuel for a year now with no issues, doesn't burn oil (rare for a turbo Subaru) ect.

So, I've been considering the Mini for a while now... not nearly as fast the my STI, however, in 99% of cases I can't really "push" my STI anywhere near it's limits on the street without endangering myself of others, so that's something I could learn to get past.

I think Mini's are a joy to drive! I like their light, tossable nature. I also like the amount of feedback the driver receives. I like the styling, always have, they're unique without giving the impression of "boy racer" haha. I actually dig the interior as well, even though I would prefer to have the speedo in front of the driver haha, other than that, feels very upscale for it's price segment.

I only have a few concerns, and would love to receive some feedback from Mini owners on these issues:

-My wife & I have an 11 month old son, which, we tried putting in a rear facing car seat into a Mini's back seat and it was a no-go haha. We "fit" it, but the front passenger's seat at that point wasn't hardly usable (knees in the dash ect). However, when he gets about 18 months old, we'll be turning the seat around, which looked like it would be ok as a front facing car seat. I'm curious to those of you with kids, how was fitting a front facing car seat in the rear of the car? At what age are kids possibly "too old/big" to really fit back there? If there's a chance that we might need to trade the Mini in within a couple years on something "bigger", there's probably no point in it.

-How is this car in the snow? Assuming snow tires during the winter season. It's FWD, so I'm assuming it's not as bad as a RWD car, but I also know it has a short wheelbase & isn't too heavy. Does an LSD make a big difference in the snow/worth it? I would probably get a LSD anyway, but just curious.

-I think I might have an issue going from a car that runs the 1/4 in the 12's to a car that runs low 15's/high 14's. Anyone come from a higher powered car to your Mini? If so, how was the transition? Do you miss it, or was it relatively easy to get over?

-Any particular trouble areas with Mini's? High maintenance costs ect?

-Do Mini dealer's negotiate? I heard a rumor that they were similar to Scion and don't hardly negotiate, is that true? What's the average buying price of a Mini? MSRP? In-voice? Somewhere between the 2?

I thank you all in advance, and look forward to hearing some of your responses. Have a good one!

-Brandon

Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Agent.COOPER
3rd Gear
I unfortuantely can't help you with a lot, but there are two things I'd like to say for you.

One, the back seat. I'm a 20 year old girl. Albeit I'm not very large (barely 100lbs and 5'0"), but I'm STILL quite comfy in the back seat, even when the front seat's moved all the way back. As for a child, I don't know. My little brother seems to get a kick out of any spot in the car, he loves my "little race car". He's 8 (I think? Haha, I hardly keep track)... so like I said, can't judge with *smaller* children. I'm sure it would be fine! I mean, why would they have the child restraint/car seat things in the back seat if they weren't meant to be used (at least I think that's what they are, please correct me if I'm wrong)?

The price. I was unable to get my dealer to budge even a penny. Even so, I got a good loan and walked away with a huge grin, even if it was rather pricey. If anything I'd say try to get some free swag if you do decide on getting one! Floor mats, maybe? I got a lot of little things like toy cars and a cup of hand wipes... and other stuff I can't remember right now.

No troubles yet for me, but I have heard that repairing them can get pretty costly.

Hope this helps at least in the slightest, and best of luck to you!

Edit: Oh, and if size really is that much of a problem, have you considered a Clubman? They're lovely, too!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Here's my opinion on most of your questions.

1) I would never want to try to get a small child in & out of a child seat in the back of this car. Maybe a Clubman, but not the standard hardtop. With the front seat all the way back, it basically touches the front of the back seat. The worst thing about forward facing child seats/booster seats is the child's legs are not long enough to clear the front edge of the rear seat. So their legs/feet are aimed into the back of the front seat rather than at the floor. My 8yr-old is just now able to sit properly in the rear seat with no problems. My 5'10" 14yr-old can sit in back with no issues, as long as the front seat is forward about 8".

2) I'm guessing with decent tires, the Mini will be excellent in the snow. The DTC should be a great benefit. I think the LSD is discontinued for '10 models. However, we still get EDLC which provides some of the benefits of LSD.

3) Maintenance is covered for first 36000 miles, though I am electing to change oil at 5k intervals. I also have the 100,000 extended maintenance so most things should be covered. I'll find out soon enough.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

First, welcome to the forum. I can't speak for subie owners but you'll find there is a definite great community within the mini cooper family.

I have no idea about the baby seat but I can tell you that my last car was a supercharged C5 convertible.... not the fastest car (as opposed to my blown big block'd, tubbed S10) but definitely fast enough.

Point is, I've had the opportunity to buy my Corvette back at a fraction at the price and I have turned it down (twice actually)

The mini is a nimble, quick BLAST to drive. The quality is very good (especially for me coming from GM's) I miss the HP from my other cars (though this one is no slouch for what it is) but I'd trade that for any day for a day at the track with the mini.

I honestly don't think you'll regret getting the mini except for your child issue. (you may consider a clubman)

Mini doesn't negotiate. I received 500 off list price but that was a favor.

HTH's, good luck with your choice.

Mark

Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
The Clubman's third door makes retrieving little ones easy and has enough space in the back for the stroller.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Welcome Brandon! You found the place for MINIs!

I've had mine in western NY for over a year now. Last winter, with a set of dedicated snow tires all around, I had very few (as in two) issues getting around. One was dang-near solid ice on our ~350 ft inclined driveway. The MINI spent the night about halfway down; I couldn't get it all the way up the hill without running it into the snowbank. The other time was an 'almost-didn't-make-it-up-the-hill' experience on a steep sustained grade. BUT notice I said almost. I did a little spinning, a little straightening out, and I did make it (quasi-high pucker factor). Other than those two times, I had no trouble last winter.

There are a few threads about winter escapades on here; try the search function but the basic advice is get snow tires all around. I too have a Subie (Outback). When push comes to shove, I'd probably take the Subie in the winter, but my MINI did great all winter long.

The other questions, you're getting better advice from others so I'll leave it at that. Good luck with your decision (and welcome to the other side)...

Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
roninsoldier83
Neutral
Thanks for the replies, they're really appreciated! Keep 'em coming

Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
roninsoldier83
Neutral
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Hi,

First, welcome to the forum. I can't speak for subie owners but you'll find there is a definite great community within the mini cooper family.

I have no idea about the baby seat but I can tell you that my last car was a supercharged C5 convertible.... not the fastest car (as opposed to my blown big block'd, tubbed S10) but definitely fast enough.

Point is, I've had the opportunity to buy my Corvette back at a fraction at the price and I have turned it down (twice actually)

The mini is a nimble, quick BLAST to drive. The quality is very good (especially for me coming from GM's) I miss the HP from my other cars (though this one is no slouch for what it is) but I'd trade that for any day for a day at the track with the mini.

I honestly don't think you'll regret getting the mini except for your child issue. (you may consider a clubman)

Mini doesn't negotiate. I received 500 off list price but that was a favor.

HTH's, good luck with your choice.

Mark
I just noticed the numbers in your sig... those seem like very strong numbers for a Mini Couple questions about them, what all do you have done?

Also, is there any sort of tuning software for a Mini? I know that's one thing I would definitely miss about Subaru's, TONS of different tuning solutions: Accessport, UTEC, ECUtek, Unichip, Hydra, MoTec, you name it, there's a tuning solution for Subie's. My personal favorite: OpenECU <---FREE tuning software, created by a bunch of enthusiast based hackers! All that's needed is a Tactrix cable ($130) and a laptop Probably a good idea to have a wideband as well haha. Either way though, that will be tough to give up :(

Not to mention loads of base maps for a multitude of configurations all over the internet for free for people who aren't comfortable tuning their own car, which is a nice bonus.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
The Clubman's third door makes retrieving litt\]e ones easy and has enough space in the back for the stroller.
And it has more leg room in the back, which should help with the car seat issue. I'd guess you could keep the Clubman a couple years longer than the mimi Mini as your kid grows.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 PM
vjaramillo
2nd Gear
I have two boys. 12 and 8. One on a booster seat and the oldest is 5 feet tall. Haven't had a problem with space.

Before I had my Mini, I had a 270 hp, track ready M3. Don't miss it one minute.

v

Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 PM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
i love subies! I noticed you said harsh ride, well the MINI is no walk in the park either.. quite bumpy and stiff for me but i love it! ..getting rid of the runflats should help, might decrease some of the road noise too.

the other posters basically answered your other questions, clubman is nice but i can't picture myself driving that with my constant quick-sharp turn launches

Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
In a Mini you ALWAYS have FUN even at Parking speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwbge1xsKQk

Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 AM
hellfire
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RE: carseat in my 09 convertible - 6 yr old has no problem with it, even with front seat about halfway back. when i have the malamute in the back, i put the carseat in the front, seat all the way back, airbag's automatically off.

came from a 2006 (997) 911 convertible. i have to say i'm surprised how much more i enjoy the mini. the combo of handling and gearing thats perfectly mated to the engine makes it just a joy to drive - heel-toes and rev matching just always feel great. it's at the sweet spot where i can drive it at 99% of its capabilities every day and not freak too much about getting ticketed. getting 10-15mpg more is also a plus

anecdotally: on a recent roadtrip i kept up nicely with an 08 cayman S (except when he went past 115, 120mph, then things got iffy for me if there were road imperfections or cross winds). on sharper, slower bendies (around 90mph), my car easily outhandles the 911 and cayman. we averaged about 70-80mph over 2000 miles (including many stretches at 90-110) and the car still got me 30mpg.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
twlai
1st Gear
Hi, I have similar situation like yours. I had a wrx, then evo. they were great ride, but i also get sick of the boyracer attention, and moreover, cannot use any of the car potential legally on street is frustrating! Always have to feather the gas pedal is just not fun.

But I kept the them when my kids were infants. There were just no other 4dr sportcar out there that can match the wrx & evo for its 4 dr & 4 season practicality. Mom can sit in the back if need to, it was great. I am sure you know all this, that you have a sti Now that my kids are 6 & 4 yr old, they can climb in and out of a car by themselves and buckle the seatbelt themselves, so I decided to get a mcs, pretty much the same reason that you list above. I ordered it last month, it is still not here yet :(

But for your situation, i can tell you that buckling down a little kid in the back of a 2dr is a back-breaking process. I tried it with my friend's 3dr focus a couple times, it is doable, but it certainly wasn't fun. But i guess it depend on the person, maybe you can do it a lot quicker them me.... just my 2 cents...

btw.. there were A LOT OF subie convert to mini...( & miata ) it is really true that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast then drive a fast car slow

Last edited by twlai; 09-18-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Sadly there is not the vast amount of tuning opportunities out there like with the Subie. Orange has probably the best yet...from Revolution Mini Works. Jan, over there really knows his stuff. I personally used a plug-n-play one and while makes it a lot funner to drive, reliability (cuts out) leaves much to be desired. There is still a lot in the works right now though! The ECU is a tough one to crack supposedly

Originally Posted by roninsoldier83
I just noticed the numbers in your sig... those seem like very strong numbers for a Mini Couple questions about them, what all do you have done?

Also, is there any sort of tuning software for a Mini? I know that's one thing I would definitely miss about Subaru's, TONS of different tuning solutions: Accessport, UTEC, ECUtek, Unichip, Hydra, MoTec, you name it, there's a tuning solution for Subie's. My personal favorite: OpenECU <---FREE tuning software, created by a bunch of enthusiast based hackers! All that's needed is a Tactrix cable ($130) and a laptop Probably a good idea to have a wideband as well haha. Either way though, that will be tough to give up :(

Not to mention loads of base maps for a multitude of configurations all over the internet for free for people who aren't comfortable tuning their own car, which is a nice bonus.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roninsoldier83

Unfortunately there are not many choices for tuning for the R56. In fact, it's only been a few months that RMW got it cracked. BMW/Mini has made it very difficult for anyone with a second generation mini to get the ecu cracked.

There are a couple of choices out there right now but RMW is the way to go right now.

I'm sure as time goes on, more people will develop tunes but right now, RMW is the man in charge.

I've only got a larger intercooler, RMW tune, boost tubes and exhaust... not much really.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 09-19-2009, 10:41 PM
skerm8
2nd Gear
I waited to get a MINI until my kid was older. I think 4 doors is better with kids. Depends on your patience. The car is NO DOUBT fun everyday you wash it, drive it or just look at it. Maybe you should get a Tahoe or Suburban? I would cry if my little kid spilled something in my car! When you do buy a MINI you will be welcome here!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:18 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skerm8
I would cry if my little kid spilled something in my car! When you do buy a MINI you will be welcome here!

I agree.... no one eats in my cars....any of them. In fact, it's rare I let my kids (11/14) even drink in my cars. My H2 has a set of Katskinz leather seat covers, they're stock black leather replacements but they're perforated.

Have you ever had to sit there with a toothpick cleaning up the holes because chocolate was smeared on the seat. Helllll no....

The other help is as I get older (will be 47 in Dec.) I'm not so **** about having to get to my destination. When I was younger, you got in the car and drove to your destination. You only stopped for gas and to use the restroom. (even at that, try to hold it)

As I get older, it's not so important we get to our destination by an exact hour.... We can relax and if we get hungry, we stop at a restaurant.

And the point of all that.....

THE DAMN KIDS DON'T EAT IN MY CAR!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 AM
inimini2007
6th Gear
MINI is a fun car...period. I have no problems in the rain or snow with this car...It climbs mountains, twisted roads, or hills with ease...It's a go-kart on steroids that has the best resale value and great fuel economy.

It is a choppy ride and you'll feel it...it's still a small car.

Just take you baby's car seat on a test drive...put it in the Clubman or Hatch.

You will love it...I put two 8 year-olds with no problems.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Well i have a 09 just a cooper hard top and love it . This past week i had to drive to friends to a job location . My friend is 6-3 and fit in back seat but said his feet felt cramped because my other friend was in frint seat who is 6 ft tall . I have taken long trips in my cooper up to six hours long nice ride with family and dog ! No problems ! Clubman would have been a better choice but too much money for my budget now ! Test drive one and see your self .

Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 AM
vjaramillo
2nd Gear
wow. I let my kids eat in the car. I just teach them to respect other peeps things and to be clean. I had a m3 with light silver leather and they stayed clean for the five years i had it. i guess my kids are just trained. Accidents happen, i just clean it every 2 weeks. This is why i never buy cloth seats.

v

Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Quinoa
1st Gear
We have an R57-S (convertible) which has been trouble free so far, and has proven to be the most entertaining car we've had in years. We're middle-aged DINKs, so we cannot comment on the kid thing. I sympathize.

Our $0.02 on the dealer thing: the local dealer we purchased ours from would not budge off of MSRP. I really pushed the haggle. But they did give us 0.9% x 48mo financing, free floor mats, discounts on supplies, and free car washes / detailing which we use a lot. They even remember us when we pull up for car washes and have been nothing but classy every time I've been in there.

Our local Mini dealer is only eight miles from the house, and 1 mile from work, so we're a bit spoiled. They are very highly regarded by local Mini owners - this was important to us. Our experience with this dealer has been five stars to date.

edit add: I've had two Subaru Foresters over the past decade, as well as an '02 Ford F150 Lightning. The Lightning was a one-trick pony and useless in the winter. Floor it = fun. Commute = sucks. I'm still driving an 03 Forester which has been a good little wagon, if a bit boring. But it flat out works in crappy weather and for running sloppy errands. I cannot yet comment on the Mini in winter, but it shouldn't be any worse than any other little FWD box. But you cannot beat a Subaru in the snow, especially in Colorado. If you had another family beater-wagon it would make things a lot easier for you and the kid.

Last edited by Quinoa; 09-20-2009 at 06:13 PM.