R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help New MCS wont shift into 5th gear...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 AM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help New MCS wont shift into 5th gear...

I recently purchased my 09 MCS yesterday and went for a drive early this morning and i was driving on the highway and my shifter wont go into 5th gear, it feels like it gets stuck before right before i can shift into 5th.
Has this happened to anyone?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:32 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Nope. Fortunately, you can get to the dealer in 4th even on the interstate.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Your car should have roadside and you can get it towed to the dealer if you feel you need to. Can you skip 5th and go to 6th?

Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
yeah ive been skipping 5th to get to 6th to stay up to speed.
hopefully its just a linkage problem nothing too serious
car goes in tomorrow hopefully it gets resolved in several hours.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:25 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
update on my mcs
its been at the dealership for about two days now
they havent figured anything out... how? i dont know
they said they are waiting on technical support from BMW
they talked about replacing the entire car since i just bought it a couple days ago

Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Well, this is an unusual problem. Proof is that they're scratching their heads. Whether they give you a new tranny or new car, you'll be motoring happily and will be able to say your experience was unique.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
Finally got word on it today, they said my 5th gear got un synced. They said it was due to me shifting to hard? I dont see how when i had it for one day and i only went into 5th twice before it happened.... But they just ordered me a new transmission to gurantee it to be problem free. Should have the car back atleast by monday no later

Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
Finally got word on it today, they said my 5th gear got un synced. They said it was due to me shifting to hard? I dont see how when i had it for one day and i only went into 5th twice before it happened....
That is a little insulting. I guess they had to save face by saying it was your fault. If had been one of the lower gears I would say possibly but upshifting into 5th is a pretty easy shift.

I don't understand why some "service" depts can't just say "We are really sorry there was a problem. We are going to fix it."

The "It was your fault but because we are so wonderful, we are going to fix it for you at our expense even though we shouldn't" attitude sucks.

Oh well, as long as it gets fixed.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree Okiesnake, they certainly seem to give a lot of attitude. And what "face" are they saving? MINI's gonna pay them for the repair and they're gonna make a profit on it, why would they even care? Seems to me they should be saying exactly what you said ""sorry you had a problem, we're gonna fix it up and make it right - no worries mate!"

I especially don't understand the attitude if they're gonna fix it anyway. And this is a brand new car, maybe one of the lot boys or mechanics was playing Speed Racer with it before he even got it?

The one theme that I'm seeing a lot of is transmission and clutch problems, no matter who's at fault............

Old 09-23-2009, 05:27 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Bums. We're really at a disadvantage when dealing with service departments. Not that they're all bad. However, if you run into one that's jaded, justifiably or not, you have no painless recourse.

I have a buddy that runs an engine replacement business. He is--trust me on this--honest as the day is long. Retired Army officer. Have known and watched him for years. He was taken to court a few years back. Decided not to engage an attorney; he would simply tell the judge his side. Plaintiff's lawyer pulled a legal procedural trick and won the case despite the mechanical impossibility of the claim. Judge didn't care.

Would it be any better with arbitration? Right.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya'll are crazy....unless the OP ordered the car, there ain't NO WAY I'd wait for them to "replace" the trans.

Screw that, the car is one day old and the tranny needs replaced???

You're going to give me a new car NOW! (unless he ordered it again....)

Not a great way to show hospitality or respect to a new mini owner.

Hope you get your car back soon.

Don't let this mishap scare you. I purchased my car brand new and within 1000 miles the fuel pump died.

I'm happy to say 10K miles later, I've had no other issues.

Mark

Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I'm with Orangecrush...I would not except anything less than a Brand New Car. They have no right to tell you that after 1 Day of driving that YOU caused the malfunction of the Tranmission.

Go back and tell them you've re-thought things over AND you'd only be happy with taking delivery of another MINI.

Good Luck!!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:00 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Now wait a minute. He gets the car back Monday, not six weeks from Monday. If he had it optioned with everything he wants, why not wait--let's see--four days.

Now, the dealership sure as shootin' should have him in a nice loaner free of charge.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Now wait a minute. He gets the car back Monday, not six weeks from Monday. If he had it optioned with everything he wants, why not wait--let's see--four days.

Now, the dealership sure as shootin' should have him in a nice loaner free of charge.

That's why I said if he ordered the car.... however, if he just picked one off the lot and they have a similiar one, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a new car. I mean for God's sake, it's 1 day old.

4 days is definitely better than 12 weeks but still I wouldn't be happy.

Mark

Old 09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
I got mine off the lot with a killer discount but ive complained and complained for about 3 times a day for the past three days, and they said drive the car after the tranny has been replaced and if it doesnt drive how i like or doesnt seem the same i can swap it out for another mini at the same price.

They rented me out a MCS which is pretty nice of them, offered me to replace it, and gave me $500 credit to there accessory site.
The manager was pretty generous but iam going to take another look at the cars on the lot to see if can find a similar one.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
tfuhst,
I think I would at least require them to give 12 months / 12,000 additional extendend service in addition to the standard waranty. Ask for 24 months/24K and settle for 12month/12K.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
will defintaly push for that thanks for the suggestion!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:21 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
That's a bummer.... Are you sure they are putting in a NEW tranny and not a rebuilt one?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
ya know that got me wondering now.... not too sure how i can find out for sure its new unless i sit around the dealership till it gets shipped.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
That's a bummer.... Are you sure they are putting in a NEW tranny and not a rebuilt one?
That's a really good point. Chances are, the trannys that come in are reman'd and not new. I may be wrong but I know GM and Acura does that.

Just another reason to push for a new car.

Mark

Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
How many reman'd trannies can be out there? I mean, this aint a C5 or C6 we're talking about.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
How many reman'd trannies can be out there? I mean, this aint a C5 or C6 we're talking about.
Actually, I'd say more than you think. His car is an '09. The R56 has been out since '07. That's 3 years that the mini has had an opportunity for the trans to get broken.

Point is, I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years, he gets a reman tranny.

Hope not but....

Mark

Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
Went back to the dealership again and they told me the same news, transmission and be done in a couple days.
I asked for a extended warranty they said they dont know if they can do it because it is expensive which makes me want to pick out a new mini.
They also said "
maybe if you can practice more on another manual car before u get your mini back this wont happen again"
Ive about had it with those people, why cant they grow up and just say its their fault.... Iam pretty sure i showed that i was a pretty damn good driver when i took it out for a test drive and they have the nerve to say that?
what a long week it has been....

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
It sucks that is happened and they are treating you as if it was your fault. There are lots of cars out there that have problems right from the get go, but never have I seen a dealer blame the customer only after a day.

The part would only be covered for 12m/12k from the date it was put in. They won't extend it past your factory warranty which is 4y/50k. Wow some people really push the limits on what they think they should get in return.

A reman transmission will be just as good if not better than a new one since they are torn all the way apart and scrutinized for every little flaw.

Hope they get you back on the road soon!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Refurbs are actually usually better quality then 'new.' Refurbished items go through much stricter quality control before they ever leave the factory then new ones.

Quick Reply: R56 Help New MCS wont shift into 5th gear...