R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Strange things with clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 AM
magicmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange things with clutch

I just bought my 2007 Mini Cooper used about a month ago (only 13k miles on it) The issue I am having is in the morning and happens only in the mornings. When shifting into 2nd gear, the gear gets stuck on something. Its makes a sound like metal on metal grinding. This only happens in 2nd gear. What I don't understand is it only happens every once in awhile and not everything time. Usually once or twice then never happens again till the next morning. I thought it must just been me doing something wrong but I had other people drive it and they experienced the same problem. Anyone have an idea on what this is and should I take it to get it looked at by Mini? I just got it looked at 2 weeks ago for its check up and oil change.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could be the tranny, and not the clutch, if it's a specific gear hangup. Def contact yr dealer.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 AM
idioteque
1st Gear
If they're using a hydraulic clutch, I wonder if the system is losing pressure as it sits and then as it is used again, the pressure is restored?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
I'd take it to the dealer and leave it there, sounds like it may be hard to replicate on command. Have them drive it each morning when cold, see if they can witness. Hydraulic clutches typically do not bleed themselves back into service. It would begin leaking fluid if there is a leak somewhere.

A wild *** guess would be the syncho on 2nd gear may be a little snug when cold and not stopping the gear from spinning, but loosens up when it comes up to temp?

If that is the case, it may remedy itself. But considering the cost involved and warranty, I'd leave it with the dealer until they experience the issue and make it correct.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
magicmini
Neutral
Called Mini about the problem and to set up an appointment. From my description they think it might be the transmission. They are going to keep it overnight and give me a loaner car.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
kimmc
2nd Gear
This happened with me when I first got my car 2 years ago (started at 300 miles). It generally happened when it was cool out and only the first time I shifted into 2nd. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission.

I'm at just over 17,000 miles now and it hasn't happened again.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Synchro is my guess. The dealer should keep it overnight and drive it. They'll figure it out fast I bet.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by go_mini_go

Hydraulic clutches typically do not bleed themselves back into service. It would begin leaking fluid if there is a leak somewhere.
Well, I'm really nitpicking here... but that's not strictly right.

I've had hydraulic clutches and brake systems act exactly like they're leaking or losing pressure, with no visible leaks at all. They can leak internally, fluid pushes past the seals inside the cylinder and back to the reservoir, all with no visible evidence. If it's a brake cylinder with an internal leak, the pedal will slowly sink to the floor when you're (for example) stopped at a light with your foot on the brake for a minute or two. A clutch will slowly engage even though the pedal is held to the floor, or shifts can become difficult or "crunchy" as it loses pressure.

This usually happens through age/wear and at high mileages, or if the fluid gets contaminated causing the rubber seals inside the cylinder to become damaged. Not too likely in this case - - but possible, I guess.

Isn't it wonderful what owning a long succession of wheezing, leaky old British cars can teach a person?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear
Point taken!

I'll one up ya, had a long succession of FIATS. Apparently we are gluttons for punishment.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Point taken!

I'll one up ya, had a long succession of FIATS. Apparently we are gluttons for punishment.
I'm a glutton for punishment - - - you're a masochista!!

A buddy of mine had an 850 Spyder "back in the day". I always loved the 124 Coupe, always wanted one but never gave in to the temptation. The new 500 Abarth is really interesting, I started a very lively thread on it here on this forum some time ago - - check it out.

So, you can see, I have some emotional attachment to FIATS as well.

I guess maybe there's a masochista side to me as well.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Mato
2nd Gear

A wild *** guess would be the syncho on 2nd gear may be a little snug when cold and not stopping the gear from spinning, but loosens up when it comes up to temp?
sounds like good old ferrari's trannies

Old 09-27-2009, 03:27 PM
idioteque
1st Gear
Not just British cars with fun clutches..

Originally Posted by 33EJB
Well, I'm really nitpicking here... but that's not strictly right.

I've had hydraulic clutches and brake systems act exactly like they're leaking or losing pressure, with no visible leaks at all. They can leak internally, fluid pushes past the seals inside the cylinder and back to the reservoir, all with no visible evidence. If it's a brake cylinder with an internal leak, the pedal will slowly sink to the floor when you're (for example) stopped at a light with your foot on the brake for a minute or two. A clutch will slowly engage even though the pedal is held to the floor, or shifts can become difficult or "crunchy" as it loses pressure.

This usually happens through age/wear and at high mileages, or if the fluid gets contaminated causing the rubber seals inside the cylinder to become damaged. Not too likely in this case - - but possible, I guess.

Isn't it wonderful what owning a long succession of wheezing, leaky old British cars can teach a person?

I had an "old" (2002) 3 series with something people refer to as a Back Pressure relief or something. Apparently it prevents people from "popping the clutch" and limits how quickly the clutch will actually engage. Anyhow.. that whole crazy setup became goofed up and was bleeding fluid the wrong way making the clutch weak, until it was used a few times.

Talking about Fiats though... did you even have to bother with the clutch on those things??? A little pressure, a blip of the throttle and away you go ;-)