R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Cooper (JCW) Found... Ya or Na?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 AM
ray66
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper (JCW) Found... Ya or Na?

Howdy Group -
Newbie here. Looking to buy a new or used Mini. I like the JCW models. Help me out... what would you do? Buy new from my local dealer or buy used? Go for ta ormal Mini or hi-performance KCW model?

JCW: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1367924728.html

Local Dealer ( Orlando ) http://www.iwantamini.com/

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am biased and cheep so I would almost always go used.
The link to the JCW looks fine but it just depends on what you are looking for.

Also, depends on how much you need/want a warranty.
I don't even have a MINI dealer in my town so I deal with almost all of the issues on my car.

Lastly, if you are looking at new you probably want to ask this question in the 2nd generation forum. The 1st generation ended in 06 for hard tops and 08 for verts.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thread moved for more relevant exposure.

Since the new car is being considered, is money not an issue? Maybe you can get the used one and spend the extra on mods.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CL car looks nice (as much as one can tell from the ad) and if it did in fact belong to a "grown up" it could be a great deal. New vs used is always going to come down to preference. There is obviously less risk in buying new but you pay for that. It also depends a lot on how you are paying for it (cash vs financing) as the new car can be much less to finance vs the used.

My personal preference is that I think I can get a lot more car buying something that is near new vs buying from the dealer. Our Clubman was ~$8k less than sticker when we bought it a year old with 3K miles. Not a ton of risk in buying low mileage still with a warrenty.

In the one the one that you listed, that car new would come it at near $30k. You can have a lot of stuff go wrong and still not spend the $10k difference. JMTC

Either way... welcome to the madness

Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM
kymummer
2nd Gear
New vs Used

I bought used 6 months ago, and I LOVE my car.

But, given the financing advantages, I should have bought new. I'd be making the same payments, but with a new car and longer warranty.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
ray66
1st Gear
Thanks a Lot People!

I have cash but don't like buying new, and don't like Dealers. Tax, tag and title are deal killers! My main question: Is this JCW Mini a good deal for the money? Is 2007 same or similar to 2008/2009 JCW models? It appears to me this Mini (in the Link) is top of the line Mini Cooper; turbo, sport model with the most HP, etc. Am I right? Please advise and thanks again for all your help. When and if I buy I'll come back with pics and contribute as much as possible. I might buy this Mini soon so please respond.

Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ray66
Howdy Group -
Newbie here. Looking to buy a new or used Mini. I like the JCW models. Help me out... what would you do? Buy new from my local dealer or buy used? Go for ta ormal Mini or hi-performance KCW model?

Thanks!
I'd like to make a suggestion. Before I say that, I'll let you know that I am on my 4th mini in a year and a half. (nothing wrong, just had to find the exact one that was me)

Having said that, no doubt in my mind if I was to do it all over again, I'd find someone from the forum for instance that has one for sale. I've seen MANY great deals and excellent condition, well taken care of minis that would be well worth it.

Just for the record, I'd definitely be looking for a JCW. That's just my personal opinion. I've had 3 S's (one with a JCW Stage I kit) and love my JCW even more.

Good luck with your choice, there's not such thing as a bad choice for a mini.

Mark

Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM
ray66
1st Gear
Mark -
Thanks bro, but what is the bottom line answer from my question? Still confused as my questions seems to be lost in each posters drama. Again, the JCW Mini Link I posted; is this JCW the same as a 2009? Same fast, same HP, same overall? Any major differences? The Link I posted seems to be the utlimate Mini Cooper just two years old and some miles; yes or no?

Thanks for your time.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Mark -
Thanks bro, but what is the bottom line answer from my question? Still confused as my questions seems to be lost in each posters drama. Again, the JCW Mini Link I posted; is this JCW the same as a 2009? Same fast, same HP, same overall? Any major differences? The Link I posted seems to be the utlimate Mini Cooper just two years old and some miles; yes or no?

Thanks for your time.
Yes... exactly the same. Starting 2007, the designation became R56. That model is current up to 2010.

The 2007 you chose is the same as my 2009 except as you said, miles and two years older.

Hope that answered your question.

Mark

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM
ray66
1st Gear
Yes you did... and thank you Mark.

I might just buy her!

I'll offer $17k?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Yes you did... and thank you Mark.

I might just buy her!

I'll offer $17k?
Good choice, I'd offer 17 and hope they settle on 18K.

Before you do though, take a look on the online forum marketplace here

The reason I say that is obviously there are many more choices... .but more importantly, the owners here are for the most part mini nuts like us and probably in better shape than one found elsewhere (except the link you showed...obviously that guy is a mini guy too)

Good luck, make sure you post pics when you get him/her... and DON'T FORGET TO WAVE

By the way.... 18K is a great price... check this out.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 09-25-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
The JCW you posted from CL is nothing like a 2009 JCW. You don't even know it has the tuning kit since there is no pictures of that. Even with the tuning kit it doesn't have the same HP.

The whole car is completely different it looks like a stock s to me. No one would be able to tell it is a JCW. 2009 would be better wheels, suspension, brakes, exhaust, major engine tuning, and bumper front and rear.

I don't know why people through that term around so freely. People with the JCW bumpers like to call it a JCW mini which it isn't.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ecupip
The JCW you posted from CL is nothing like a 2009 JCW. You don't even know it has the tuning kit since there is no pictures of that. Even with the tuning kit it doesn't have the same HP.

The whole car is completely different it looks like a stock s to me. No one would be able to tell it is a JCW. 2009 would be better wheels, suspension, brakes, exhaust, major engine tuning, and bumper front and rear.

I don't know why people through that term around so freely. People with the JCW bumpers like to call it a JCW mini which it isn't.
Ecupip brings up a couple of points, some good, some bad.

My previous post about being worth it was assuming the car is as described... a FACTORY JCW.

You can't tell from the pics if it's real. There are a few telltale things that could at least indicate that it's real but unfortunately you can't see any of them in the pics.

As far as Ecupip saying it looks stock, I have no idea how he can differentiate those pics from a JCW. My JCW looked just like that when I bought it. Simply put... plain.

So, just to clarify, the price is great if it is a FACTORY JCW... not a JCW stage I kit but a factory kit.

Sorry, I jumped the gun, I was basing my opinion on how the car was described.

Mark

Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 PM
ray66
1st Gear
Mark -

How safe are Mini Coopers (if I'm hit)?

I'm a Vovlo man for many years, that said how many air bags and is the chassis collapsable like a Volvo? If I get hit by big Truck; in my Volvo sedan I'll survive but in a Mini Cooper can I say the same?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Mark -

How safe are Mini Coopers (if I'm hit)?

I'm a Vovlo man for many years, that said how many air bags and is the chassis collapsable like a Volvo? If I get hit by big Truck; in my Volvo sedan I'll survive but in a Mini Cooper can I say the same?

Ray,

I've been in the bodyshop business for 25 years. I've seen my share of cars that have been wrecked. I can tell you that Mini designed the car RIGHT. Very impressed with the way the frame and chassis are built.

Obviously if I got hit in my H2, I wouldn't feel it like my mini but safetywise... fantastic... they did a great job. The car won't fair too well but it WILL protect you.

Mark

Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Stig One
Banned
Howdy Group -

Thanks!
Call John or Larry at mini of orlando or call Brad at southmotors in miami he sold me a jcw for invoice

Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thought that the FIRST 'Factory' R56 JCW's were sold after June 2008.

So a 2007 'JCW' would have had to be from the JCW 'kit'.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Well the CL listing does say "...WORKS PKG..." so, it is accurately represented.

Last edited by pilotart; 09-26-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:43 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pilotart
Thought that the FIRST 'Factory' R56 JCW's were sold after June 2008.

If that's the case (not doubting, just didn't know) that changes everything. Did ya hear that Ray?

I would definitely check...theres' a big difference between a Stage I JCW kit and a factory JCW.

Mark

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM
ray66
1st Gear
Big Thanks Fellas!

What about this Mini? http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1386776166.html

Old 09-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Stig One
Banned
Automatics are very expensive to fix and on the supercharged models very slow.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Yes factory JCW's were not until the 2009 Model Year. 2007-08's were only bumper kits or stage I and II kits.

Be weary of craigslist posts especially when they hide any parts in the pictures that shows the options they list, lol.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Big Thanks Fellas!

What about this Mini? http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1386776166.html

Not saying there is anything wrong with that mini but it is a 2006 which is a first generation.

Again, not saying there is anything wrong with the first generation but if you're looking for a second generation, that's not it.

Biggest difference is supercharged instead of turbo.

Mark

EDIT: Not sure if this is available but if you definitely want a second generation JCW, what about something like taking over this guy's lease.

You may also want to check out financing on a JCW. I'm paying 2.9 percent and I know people are paying way less than that. Sometimes buying a new one with really low financing is cheaper than buying a used car with higher interest rates. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by orangecrush; 09-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
ray66
1st Gear
Thanks Mark.... Well, maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy a true JCW, a 2009. I want a JCW, the fast one. Problem is I am located in Daytona Beach, Florida. The nearest Dealer is Orlando. Field's BMW said they could repair if any issues. I used to live in Coral Gables, I can always head down there.

It's confusing which Mini to buy....

Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Thanks Mark.... Well, maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy a true JCW, a 2009. I want a JCW, the fast one. Problem is I am located in Daytona Beach, Florida. The nearest Dealer is Orlando. Field's BMW said they could repair if any issues. I used to live in Coral Gables, I can always head down there.

It's confusing which Mini to buy....
Though a few people have had issues, I wouldn't base my decison on buying a mini because of how far or close a dealership is.

As far as distance to look at a car, well, I'm not the person to ask. I'll travel anywhere. I bought a Corvette from Texas, another Corvette from Miami, a Mini from Colorado. (two of those three were POS and I had to either fly back or send back)

Point is, I wouldn't think twice about checking out pics, talking to the owner, doing a little background checking and flying out to pick up a car and drive it back.

I understand, some people don't want to or perhaps don't have the time but to me, that's half the fun.

Mark

Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Nachtsturm
2nd Gear
I'd say look for a used 2009 JCW. They can be had for 7K less already than their MSRP was.

Quick Reply: R56 Mini Cooper (JCW) Found... Ya or Na?