R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 prospective MCS buyer: convince me

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I generally like your build but think it could be tweaked a bit. I think all Pepper White with the cloth/leather would look cool. I've got the red in my car, I actually think I'd go with blue in PW. Xenons, yes, LSD, yes. I would forego the comfort package, I don't find its functionality necessary or even inviting, instead opt for the $500 bluetooth/Ipod option. I personally think the sports suspension is a good option. I wanted a bit more edge but not too buckboard of a ride for my daily driver. The JCW body kit is either dealer or port installed or DIY. It's pricy, there are lots of threads about the different ways to get it, I negotiated $2200 for port installed, I'm pretty sure it was pre-painted as it was only in port for two days. Just to throw a wrench in things you might consider a lightly optioned JCW Coupe. A few things on your list are standard on the JCW and the increased power and big brakes make it an entirely different beast I think.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm waffling between blue & red for the interior trim - would be happy either way. Strangely, when configuring red, the colorline trim is "included", but with blue, it adds $250 (?). Seems like a bug? As for convenience, I HATE the concept of shoving an awkward keyfob into the dash and then pushing a start button. Somebody should be caned for coming up with this concept - it's more complicated than a simple ignition key (which would be my 1st preference). But comfort access cures this and then some (if at a cost), I've had the system on my 330i and loved it. So that's my main motivation for that package. $2200 for a body kit is just too much for me (if port installed, I'm sure that includes paint.. still too much for me). And a JCW is just too pricey for what it adds for me. Sport suspension? Maybe. Still trying to determine exactly what's included. Some say bigger sways only, some say uprated springs/shocks also, my MA says it's only lighter A-arms (??!), which is clearly not correct.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for $1650 more and value you should spring for the prem pkg and get the sunroof and auto climate and HK for $1750. As far as not getting the sport pkg you will miss out on the DTC and the wheels can be used for winter. It includes white turn sig and Xenon's. Cloth would save you $1000 bucks too. The leather isnt spectacular. I had an 07 with lounge leather and after 6 months there were butt dimples cause of streching. Cloth will look new forever. I also got the Conv pkg mine spec'd out:

total price $30,350 plus $1000 off = $29,350
Pepper MCS white w/ body matching roof (23,000 w/ dest)

Conv Pkg (1,250)
-Garage door opener
-Comfort access
-Auto Dimming mirrios
-rain sensor and auto headlights

Cld wx Pkg (500)
-pwr folding mirrors
-heated mirriors and washer jets
-heated seats

Prem Pkg (1,750)
-Dual pane sunroof
-Auto Climate control
-H/K sound

Sprt Pkg (1,250)
-17" crown spoke (black)
-Xenon
-DTC
-White turn signals

Anthracite headliner (250)

center armrest (250)

brushed alloy surface interior (250)

rear fog lamp (100)

Sat radio (500)

cloth seats (N/C)

Aero Kit (1,250)

Black sport stripes (Dlr/ N/C)

Originally Posted by KevinC
Here's the config I think I'll go with... kept it down to $28.7k:

2010 MCS - $22,300
destination - $700
white turn signals - $100
convenience pkg - $1,250
rear fog - $100
LSD - $500
aero kit - $1250 (decided against JCW - unpainted and dealer installed (read - $$)
xenon - $500
anthracite HL - $250
leather/cloth seats $1000 (rooster red with matching color line)
H/K - $750

Total - $28,700

Losing the sport package saved bucks. The wheels would go first day anyways, and the other items I wanted I gained a la carte.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
d.p
2nd Gear
I have AB with rooster red and it looks money if you ask me.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM
ROJA
1st Gear
Great thread- Kevin, I think you are going to love this car. Plus, this is making me want to place my order before LSD goes away (I think it will add a lot of value in resale).

Why are you passing on the DTC? Is that a performance option or an electronic nanny?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 PM
ROJA
1st Gear
Euro- He said he didn't want the sunroof because it's too hot where he lives.

The auto climate control sounds stupid to me. I really don't see the need for it and the reviews are pretty lousy. I'll just turn the ***** myself.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ROJA
Euro- He said he didn't want the sunroof because it's too hot where he lives.

The auto climate control sounds stupid to me. I really don't see the need for it and the reviews are pretty lousy. I'll just turn the ***** myself.

I am in Vegas and it does get hot. My dealer is going to Limo tint the sunroof for me. Plus you can crack the daul pane to let the cr breathe

Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
The good thing with the leather seats is that it has lumbar support. The cloth seats do not. But there is a $100 part that you can do your self 35-50 minutes per seat

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MINIt_Lumbar_Support[1].pdf (792.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
flyby
2nd Gear
Sweet ride.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I knew there would be comments on my apparent attempt to steer away prospective MINI purchasers. I'm sure you all know MINIs aren't the only fun cars out there with a following. I'm not saying that KevinC will be slummin' in a MINI either. From his post generally and even the request to be "convinced" specifically doesn't convince me he is entirely happy with the MINI realm. All I'm asking is if MINI(that means the styling/performance/customization/community/fuel mileage/perma-grin, etc.) doesn't suck you in immediately, is there really any hope if you are on the wire, having to be convinced?
KevinC, if you are convinced, order exactly what you want so there are no regrets. If you can, also wait for the refresh which will happen not too far down the road.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll probably order the iPod integration. I'll also try just using USB sticks and see how that goes. I'm familiar with the bluetooth electronics as they're virtually identical to the E90 3-series. Decent system. As for charging issues with the iPhone, there's a tiny adapter from Belkin or Griffin (can't find a link at the moment, sorry) that converts power output from pre-3G/3GS compatible adapters to work with newer iPhones. That might solve that issue?
I believe that the current issue (no pun intended) with charging the iPhone 3GS is insufficient amperage from MINI's USB port. People are solving it with a special USB Y cable and a cig USB car charger.

Thanks for the tip, hadn't thought of that. Just checked it out - I like it. Is it factory- or dealer-installed? If factory - I'll go for it. If dealer - is it prepainted in body color, or does the dealer have to do it?
Last I heard, all aero kits were painted and installed at the local BMW/MINI Distribution Center. This is where cars come off the boat and get cleaned up or repaired after their sea voyage. Since then they may have started installing kits at the factory, I don't know.

Otherwise? I don't get it. I have NO desire to drive an Accord! How did that comment creep in?
It was mostly a joke, but I'm not going to tell you that you will love a MINI. I don't know you well enough. Many people do like them, even after having owned more sophisticated sports cars. A friend with a 911 went to the Skip Barber racing school at Laguna Seca. Some of his classmates had a variety of performance cars, and more than one said that their MINI was the most fun to drive.

However, I can see someone missing the sophistication of Porsche suspension, for example. If your expectations are too high, you might be disappointed.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
ROJA
1st Gear
How about the JCW strut brace for $269 (plus installation, which can't be very hard)?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
ROJA
1st Gear
Here is my current build. Trying to keep the options light for a lower cost and better resale (as a percentage of original cost):

2010 MCS
Color (TBD- I really wanted yellow...):
1. Chili red with black roof and stripes (+100)
2. Pepper white with black roof and stripes (+100)
3. Laser blue with white roof and stripes (+600)

Cold Weather (possible, probably not) (500 if I do it)

Sport Suspension (500)
DTC (250) (still unclear how this works, leaning no)
LSD (500)
16" S-winders (n/c)

xenon lights (500)
rear fogs (100)
cloth (n/c)

rooster red color line (250)
sunroof (1000)
factory alarm (500)
leather steering wheel (n/c)
h/k stereo (possible, but leaning no)
JCW strut brace (269, say 350 with installation)
destination (700)

Total: $26,719

Old 10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EUROKOKE
...Cloth will look new forever....

okay just had to jump in here, but cloth does NOT look new forever! On my '08 it is stretching presumably just like a leather option would. Maybe I do a lot of butt scooting but I've definitely got some "butt dimples" goin' on.

edit: oh, and also, when I get my NEXT mini, I will NOT be getting the sunroof. I don't use it enough to justify the extra expense, and I also have mine tinted limo, and even that way the car still gets too hot...plus I think I'd like a little more "privacy" not having the sun shine down through the sunroof. Even those stupid shades that I've taken tot he dealer twice to have them fix them from creeping back and opening ever so slightly, don't help the sun situation much. Not worth it, IMHO

Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
okay just had to jump in here, but cloth does NOT look new forever! On my '08 it is stretching presumably just like a leather option would. Maybe I do a lot of butt scooting but I've definitely got some "butt dimples" goin' on.

edit: oh, and also, when I get my NEXT mini, I will NOT be getting the sunroof. I don't use it enough to justify the extra expense, and I also have mine tinted limo, and even that way the car still gets too hot...plus I think I'd like a little more "privacy" not having the sun shine down through the sunroof. Even those stupid shades that I've taken tot he dealer twice to have them fix them from creeping back and opening ever so slightly, don't help the sun situation much. Not worth it, IMHO

MINIchaser,

When I said that cloth will look new forever it wasn't ment to be literal. I had the lounge leather and after 3 months there were dimples and stretching going on. Also you don't have treat cloth the way you treat leather. ie, leather treatment so it won't dry out and crack. That can be a pain as one should typicaly treat their leather a few times a year depending on location. Cloth from Mine is spectacular and holds up better than most cloth brands out there.

The sunroof is up for opinion. Here's mine. I wouldn't want a car with out one as it gives you that open air feeling. Also you can vent out hot air. With or with out the sunroof the car will heat up significantly unless in the shade. It is better to let the roof vent rather than not having one at all. Plus the sunroof will improve resale (fact).

Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I'm waffling between blue & red for the interior trim - would be happy either way. Strangely, when configuring red, the colorline trim is "included", but with blue, it adds $250 (?). Seems like a bug? As for convenience, I HATE the concept of shoving an awkward keyfob into the dash and then pushing a start button. Somebody should be caned for coming up with this concept - it's more complicated than a simple ignition key (which would be my 1st preference). But comfort access cures this and then some (if at a cost), I've had the system on my 330i and loved it. So that's my main motivation for that package. $2200 for a body kit is just too much for me (if port installed, I'm sure that includes paint.. still too much for me). And a JCW is just too pricey for what it adds for me. Sport suspension? Maybe. Still trying to determine exactly what's included. Some say bigger sways only, some say uprated springs/shocks also, my MA says it's only lighter A-arms (??!), which is clearly not correct.

First, welcome to the forum and the mini madness. I've been in the bodyshop business for a long time and though I understand German engr'ing, I never truly appreciated it until I bought a mini.

I am now on my 4th mini in a year and a half. Out of all my cars, the mini is my FAVORITE. Many of my friends who know me and my HP fetish are completely surprised with my addiction to my mini... that is, until I take them for a ride.

As opposed to some other comments made, I think you, your attitude and background are completely mini appropiate. The mini is a driver, something you can play with, something you can feel the road, the performance and fun factor.

Having said that, getting back to your option choices.

Xenon lights are great but to me, not a necc.

Though the ability to not have to push the fob into the dash may be cool, if you're looking to save some money, I wouldn't sweat it. It's not that big of a deal.

I wanted Nav but have been told several times that it sucks....

I would however get XM or sirius. I'm still thinking of spending the money and getting it installed. The reason I want it is because I hate having something else stuffed under the dash below the radio.

LSD... if you're going to do any track days or performance upgrades, yes, it's worth it. If you're only a canyon carver, then I'm sure you'll do fine like the other 2 million minis out there without it.

Cloth seats. Had leather, loved it. Got cloth because of my JCW (comes standard) and love it even more. Unfortunately, I had to throw seat covers on to protect it because bondo dust from my dogs trashes the cloth... hard to clean.

JCW kit. A DEFINITE must IMO. The bodykit I think, looks fantastic. If you look in the for sale section, I believe someone is selling a kit pretty reasonable. If you put one on, I would do it afterwards, you can get it cheaper.

Sport suspension... I think it's worth it. I bought a JCW and added springs to lower it. No stuts, nothing special. The car handles great on the track.

Bottom line, unless there is an item you want that can only be bought from the factory (ie. Xenon lights, comfort package, etc) I would add anything else AFTERWARDS. You can save money and it'll keep the initial purchase lower.

HTH's, can't wait to see the car.

Mark

EDIT: BTW... I completely agree about the wheels. If weight isn't an issue for you, then go factory. Other than that, you can get MUCH lighter wheels for less. (my 17" OA wheels weight 14.2lbs each.)

Last edited by orangecrush; 10-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 PM
loud9266
2nd Gear
Here's the config I think I'll go with... kept it down to $28.7k:

2010 MCS - $22,300
destination - $700
white turn signals - $100
convenience pkg - $1,250
rear fog - $100
LSD - $500
aero kit - $1250 (decided against JCW - unpainted and dealer installed (read - $$)
xenon - $500
anthracite HL - $250
leather/cloth seats $1000 (rooster red with matching color line)
H/K - $750

Total - $28,700

Losing the sport package saved bucks. The wheels would go first day anyways, and the other items I wanted I gained a la carte.

your going to love it!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Sounds like a great combo. Convenience adds some fun goodies including the comfort access. The upgraded stereo will be worth it as I imagine it will be better than my 2009 upgrade (not HK) and it sounds a lot better than the standard system. Happy Motoring

Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I wanted Nav but have been told several times that it sucks....
I'm glad I have it. IMO, the NAV part doesn't suck. The interface is somewhat antique (nested menus, and colored text on black), but it is useful, and quite usable.

A friend and I drive the 100 miles up to Silicon Valley every so often to get hardwoods and tools. Sometimes we take his car and Garmin unit. Sometimes we take my MCS. My NAV seems to be more accurate and less confusing than the Garmin. It also has traffic alerts for San Jose, and other cities. A couple of directions from the Garmin got my friend into awkward situations.

The NAV is really more than navigation. Car settings are much easier with the NAV. There is a nice trip computer that reads out a number of parameters for a trip. Audio and Bluetooth are also controlled by it.

It is too expensive, a bit funky in design, but I'm glad I have it.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Why are you passing on the DTC? Is that a performance option or an electronic nanny?
I've read that it is the only way to completely turn off DSC and some of the other electronic nannies. Motoring file had a good article about DTC and LSD.

he auto climate control sounds stupid to me. I really don't see the need for it and the reviews are pretty lousy. I'll just turn the ***** myself.
I got it with a package. Didn't really think I'd want it. I set it on 70 and forget it. Occasionally, I'll bump it to 72 or 74, but mostly just forget about it. Not long ago I got a Clubman as a loaner for a week. It had the standard air. I was constantly fiddling with that stupid thing trying to maintain an even temp as I drove from hot San Jose, over the Santa Cruz Mts. and down the coast. It was really annoying. It was never quite right. Then on home turf, drive into Monterey, it again, constant fiddling. Glad to have the Auto Air back.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady

I got it with a package. Didn't really think I'd want it. I set it on 70 and forget it. Occasionally, I'll bump it to 72 or 74, but mostly just forget about it.

X2!!!

Never thought it was a big deal but I use it as much as intermittent headlamps.

Mark

Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my thoughts on Auto AC....It's frickin' hot here in Texas, and when I'd get in my car after being parked in the sun for awhile, it would take the Auto AC set at 66-68 degrees FOREVER to cool down the car. I ended up scheduling a service appointment, convinced that my AC unit wasn't up to snuff. The service manager called me out to the shop where they had thermometers in all four dash vents reading very, very cool. He told me that the Auto AC spreads the air out amongst all the available vents, i.e. dash, windshield, and underdash. He suggested setting it manually to dash only, set the temp at 60, and the fan as strong as I wanted. I have been satisfied ever since with its performance. I've had it on all three of my MINI's but if there's a next one, I'll leave it off.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I would however get XM or sirius. I'm still thinking of spending the money and getting it installed. The reason I want it is because I hate having something else stuffed under the dash below the radio.
The HUGE problem with Sirius is the crappy low bitrate they broadcast at. An MP3 sounds noticeably crummy on a decent stereo (even in a moving car) when encoded at 128kb or below. A 256kb AAC file (current default for iTunes purchases, for instance) actually sounds pretty good - comparable to uncompressed CD music, at least to most ears, and especially in a rolling environment, even with good equipment. Sirius broadcasts at something roughly equivalent to 32-64kb encoding - in other words, HORRIBLY compressed. Voice-only channels are even worse, since they don't need the headroom that music does, and sound ultra-tinny as a result. All music sounds very compromised. It's a shame, because I generally like the programming, and think the cost is semi-reasonable - IF it were delivered with decent sound quality. Before the merger, XM was using a higher bitrate and was easily distinguishable as higher quality. But not since the merger.

Anyways I'm straying offtopic. I'm still playing with builds.. now contemplating no body kit at all, sticking with all Pepper White (I LOVE the look of a black roof, but just not an option here in the desert). The body kit is my last decision. Can someone point me to any galleries with good pics of the kit? The software used here makes browsing software galleries just slightly less painful than a root canal.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
loud9266
2nd Gear
i have the factory aerokit
if you checkout my gallery

Old 10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Factory kit, factory kit, factory kit....

Quick Reply: R56 prospective MCS buyer: convince me