R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 prospective MCS buyer: convince me

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Factory kit, factory kit, factory kit....

This is the JCW aero kit not the Standard Aero Kit

Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
OC, This is the first time I read your licence plate. Cool.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EUROKOKE
This is the JCW aero kit not the Standard Aero Kit

My bad, I thought he wanted a JCW kit but upon reading, I read he decided against it....opps.

Originally Posted by slinger688
OC, This is the first time I read your licence plate. Cool.

Thanks....

Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 PM
pointman
1st Gear
Orangecrush, that color is custom?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Nope, just mellow yellow.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
pointman
1st Gear
Oh wow. I thought it was orange. Looks awesome.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My bad, I thought he wanted a JCW kit but upon reading, I read he decided against it....opps.
Naah, that was helpful.. first good luck at JCW. STILL pondering the whole kit thing.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EUROKOKE
MINIchaser,

When I said that cloth will look new forever it wasn't ment to be literal. I had the lounge leather and after 3 months there were dimples and stretching going on. Also you don't have treat cloth the way you treat leather. ie, leather treatment so it won't dry out and crack. That can be a pain as one should typicaly treat their leather a few times a year depending on location. Cloth from Mine is spectacular and holds up better than most cloth brands out there.

The sunroof is up for opinion. Here's mine. I wouldn't want a car with out one as it gives you that open air feeling. Also you can vent out hot air. With or with out the sunroof the car will heat up significantly unless in the shade. It is better to let the roof vent rather than not having one at all. Plus the sunroof will improve resale (fact).
No I gotcha. I hear ya. I just didn't want OP to assume that the cloth didn't get the stretching..because for sure it will! I knew you didn't mean literally! (I still would get leather if I had a do-over...)

And I see what you mean on the sunroof opinion also. I just like the more privacy, and less hotness of not having one...plus it's an extra that I just don't use.

oh, btw... the cloth does not hold up well to dog throw up...juts FYI. LOL
I've tried to get it clean for weeks now and it's still not happenin'!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, what's wrong with the arm-rest? It's a perfect elbow balance for some of us. My dog stands on it and looks out the front like a co-pilot (Yes, dog is...)
I'd miss it if it were gone.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Hey, what's wrong with the arm-rest?
The arm rest and door panels (particularly the creaky arm rest in the door) were the 2 things that turned me off the most when I took my test drive last week. In fact they were about the only things that turned me off. The center arm rest was just... cheap and wobbly.

I haven't yet made the decision to pull the trigger. I'll likely do another test drive in the coming days, and put down a deposit on the spot if I'm ready to move forward. It's just a matter of timing, it'll happen sooner or later. Stay tuned...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
I don't have a problem with the actual door panels - they are pretty tough. My armrest is actually very sturdy. The sliding cover is a little cheezy but take a look at the frame of the arm rest - it is pretty stout.

I share your dislike for the plastic door pull that you pull to close the door. I am not too worried about it as if it really bothers me I could probably modify it. My1998 BMW 528 had "chrome" door handles on inside that were actually chrome plated plastic and one broke into two pieces making one of the rear doors inoperable from the inside (police cruiser mode). It is kind of amazing the corners manufacturers cut.

Overall the quality of the MINI interior is IMO very good. I have the Tuscan beige leather with the piano black trim and it is pretty sharp. The leather is actually thicker and more supple than the leather in my 2006 BMW 530.
or the 3 series I had before that.

Clearly the MINI is not perfect but it is sure a blast to drive and throw around. I test drove the MINI 4-5 times. I would love it when I drove it, then I would leave the dealer and second guess myself (and I don't usually do this). After 4 months I can say that I still get excited about driving the MINI everyday and I am glad I pulled the trigger.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinC
The arm rest and door panels (particularly the creaky arm rest in the door) were the 2 things that turned me off the most when I took my test drive last week.
I haven't had any problems with the door armrest creaking. Here is a page with some photos of it off to install a leather cover.

The front cover of the door pulls come off with two screws. They come in various surfaces, depending on the interior you choose. Someday, I plan on making replacements out of Amboyna Burl.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Mine doesn't really creak but when someone lets their leg push against it you get a cheap sounding tick, tick - does not send that "high quality" signal

Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Let me add another vote for the JCW aero kit.

If/when you lower it, it'll be nice to not have to worry about rubbing since the trim is unpainted. Plus, you can order it here (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=5277) for $1,276 unpainted, and with Pepper White you could probably get it prepainted for a decent price. Then just install it yourself, it's just held on with a few screws and a bunch of clips, it's really not a difficult installation. Then either sell the stock bumpers or keep them to reinstall on the car when you go to sell it. The JCW kit will probably fetch a pretty decent amount of money upon resale.

I don't know if you'd decided on upgraded suspension from MINI or not, but don't. You can get adjustable coilovers for the same price and be able to get better handling and get rid of that awful stock wheelgap all at once.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 AM
koitus
2nd Gear
I ordered my MCS coupe about a month ago. I put $500 down, and it's refundable (Mini of Monrovia, CA). Maybe if you have any doubts, or you want the added bargaining power of being able to walk away and stick the dealer with a custom ordered car you might consider getting a cheap Southwest ticket and flying in to order yours here.

Anyway a few thoughts on options. I went prety bare bones and my build came out to around $26K MSRP (hoping to whittle $500-100 off that with the dealer...we'll see). Anyway, the sport suspension is stifer anti-roll bars, springs and dampers. I've driven a car equipped both ways, and you can totally tell the difference. If you don't plan on making suspension mods yourself and like the twisties, the $500 is well worth it.

I got the whole sport package bacause I planned on getting a second set of super light wheels for autocross-only use and I like the Web spokes. Also, I've heard that the only way to turn the electronic nannies off is to get the DTC with the little console-mounted button. That's just what someone told me, so I don't know if it's true.

Other than that, the LSD is a must for those who use their cars for track days, autocross, or just drive like a maniac. You'll be able to get the power down out of corners much better.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM
sh944
1st Gear
Does anyone have any idea if dealers are discounting right now? I am planning on going into my local dealer tomorrow and hopefully buying off the lot. I found two laser blue MCS's, one stripped with the exception of the multifunction steering wheel, bluetooth/ipod and the cold weather package that they are listing at $24,950 and a second one that has LSD, sport suspension, 17" Web Spoke wheels, center armrest (which I would most likely delete) and the aero package for $26,950.

It will be a cash deal, so is there any chance of getting the second one down around $24k? This will be primarily my company car, but I expect it will see at least a couple of DE's every year as well, so I like how that second car is optioned. The first one makes more sense from a pragmatic perspective, but if I can get a decent concession from the dealer, I'll spend the extra.

From reading through some of the threads here, I am not hearing a lot about dealers moving much too off of MSRP. I'll be taking in an Edmunds comparison for the two cars and will print of some internet ad listings. Any other suggestions?

Regards, ...Scott

Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Scott,

In my opinion, I think it's worth the extra couple of grand if you think you are going to go to the track or simply if you think you will enjoy the car on spirited runs. (which I would say would be a pretty safe bet)

Having said that, I think that either one is priced right. I paid 31K last year on my '08 MCSa and 31K on this years '09 JCW. Point is, the prices you were quoted seem petty good.

It can't hurt to see if you can dicker with them and beat them up a bit... I doubt they'll come down a couple of grand but try and see.

Good luck.

Mark

Originally Posted by sh944
Does anyone have any idea if dealers are discounting right now? I am planning on going into my local dealer tomorrow and hopefully buying off the lot. I found two laser blue MCS's, one stripped with the exception of the multifunction steering wheel, bluetooth/ipod and the cold weather package that they are listing at $24,950 and a second one that has LSD, sport suspension, 17" Web Spoke wheels, center armrest (which I would most likely delete) and the aero package for $26,950.

It will be a cash deal, so is there any chance of getting the second one down around $24k? This will be primarily my company car, but I expect it will see at least a couple of DE's every year as well, so I like how that second car is optioned. The first one makes more sense from a pragmatic perspective, but if I can get a decent concession from the dealer, I'll spend the extra.

From reading through some of the threads here, I am not hearing a lot about dealers moving much too off of MSRP. I'll be taking in an Edmunds comparison for the two cars and will print of some internet ad listings. Any other suggestions?

Regards, ...Scott

Old 10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can pick up am 09 WRX for under $25k. 265hp, AWD, nicely tuned suspension and an actual rear seat.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
You can pick up am 09 WRX for under $25k. 265hp, AWD, nicely tuned suspension and an actual rear seat.
Agreed but no where near as fun to drive.

Mark

Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Stig One
Banned
Originally Posted by sh944

Regards, ...Scott
Scott

use the 1.9% deal mini offers and make min 4 to 5% on your cash by investing in a mutual fund or a cd.

as far as discounts go i bought a jcw for invoice,shop around and dont be afraid to travel to get a deal.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed but no where near as fun to drive.
In your opinion.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
sh944
1st Gear
Guys, in the "fun to drive" department, I have a Porsche Turbo that sees regular track time, so I'll pass on the WXR, thanks (and come to think of it, I pass WXRs *on* the track as well! lol). The Mini will be a daily driver for the most part, just looking to se if there are any negotiating ploys before I go in. If I don't like the deal, I'll pass on it and look at other dealerships.

Regards, ...Scott

Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
KCSAILS
Neutral
Words from a fellow Z4 owner

I've owned 3 Z3's, and I ordered a 2007 Z4 3.0si with every option, and picked it up at the factory 3 years ago next month. I love the Z's they are great. My Z4 only has 16000 miles. I plan to keep it for years.
Back in 2002 my wife had taken my old Z3, when I got a new one. We happened to see a new Mini, and she fell in love with it. We ordered a 2003 Mini Cooper S from the factory, as soon as they realeased the 2003's. It had every option, an it was great. We sold it last year, and I got my wife a 328, but she missed her Mini.
To cut this long story short, I bought a 2008 Mini Cooper S (8000 mile) last friday in Atlanta and drove the 495 miles home in 7 1/2 hours. Boy, do i love the turbocharger. I think it is much better than the supercharger, it seems to respond much faster. This will be my drive around town car, as I have the z4 and my wife has a 328.
I bought this one with sport, premium, convenience, chrome etc. etc. It has everything. If I had ordered a 2010 from the factory, I would have skipped the premiuim, the 17" tires and the sunroof (too hot) are a pass, and I'd probably skip the sport, as it's a drive around town car. However, I would order the convenience. I want the garage door opener in the mirror, I'm mad that it wasn't an option in my Z4. I love the armrest, i removed the plastic cover and my phone cradle from the 328 fits right in, and it charges my cell phone. i also love the convenienece acces key, what a great feature.
Good Luck,and happy motoring and Zeeeing!

Last edited by KCSAILS; 10-09-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 PM
sh944
1st Gear
If anyone is wondering, yes, the dealers are discounting. I bought a laser blue 2009 MCS today. They'll be doing a detail on it and I'll pick it up on Tuesday (I have business out of town on Monday). I offered $23,200 cash against a sticker price of $24,850. They came back with a counter offer, and then I produced five print outs from dealerships that advertise online (including Neillo's in Sacramento) along with a plane ticket to Sacramento for next week, which was preplanned due to business and had nothing to do with this. That did the trick.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Stig One
Banned
they made 1000 to 1200 on you

Quick Reply: R56 prospective MCS buyer: convince me