R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 prospective MCS buyer: convince me

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
prospective MCS buyer: convince me

Hello MINI zealots! I'm seriously contemplating joining you in your obsession. I come from a background of driving GTIs, Sciroccos, (old) Beetles, and the like. My only current car is an '07 BMW Z4 M Coupe.. a fantastic car by any measure, but not a very practical car as an only car. The good news is that it's paid for. But I don't want to take on another payment, and I don't want to keep it as my only ride, so selling it and moving on is my best move, if any. I've lusted after the MINI since its reintroduction, and have recently gotten serious about joining the fray. I like the fact that it bridges all age groups, that the owners are a happy and enthusiastic bunch, and that it's both small yet roomy. I was at a track event several years ago in Pahrump NV that was attended by a large MINI group from LA, and they were the greatest bunch of "car people" I've ever met.

I've been playing around with the configurator and it's gonna cost me $30k for the car I really want. Ouch! Just like parent BMW, MINI really gouges you on the options, some moreso than others. I've gotten over the sticker shock and finally took a test drive today. I'd seen many and sat and drooled on various MINIs at car shows the past few years, but never had taken a test drive. Impressions? Likes - room, fit & finish (for the most part), handling (for the most part), visibility, brake & shifter feel, steering feel. Dislikes - fit & finish (the door panels are INCREDIBLY flimsy, with Dodge-like creaking if you flex the door's arm rest.. yuck!), runflats (they would HAVE to go immediately, I don't know how any of you tolerate them), turbo lag, and owning a forced-induction car in general here in the Arizona heat. The armrest is also incredibly flimsy, but I can overlook it and the door panels. Overall, it went about as I'd thought it would.. the overwhelming impression was positive. I'd order a set of 17" BBS LM's and quality non-RFT tires while the car was being built and have those puppies on the same day she comes home. Other than that, I'd be quite happy to stay bone stock.

The dealer wants a whopping $2500 deposit to place a factory order, which is a bit crazy, especially considering that they make you sign off on it being non-refundable (which may or may not be legal here in AZ.. wouldn't be in California). My MA says that may be negotiable since I've purchased a BMW from their sister dealership in the past.

So... convince me! I've settled on an MCS with aero kit, no sunroof (bad idea here in hot weather season), leather/cloth seats (loved 'em, hate the hideous $1k upgrade price), probably Pepper White monotone, with blue or red colorline interior, HK stereo, sports package, convenience, rear fog, LSD (as I may auto-x it at some point), anthracite headliner, comfort bluetooth, and smartphone prep. Also considering Laser blue/white roof/aero, and Sparkling Silver/white roof/aero. But I'm leaning towards PW... very practical here in the desert, $500 savings for non-metallic, and - I like it.

Tell me why I'm going to love this car.. tell me why I should or shouldn't add or delete any particular options.. any opinions would be most welcomed. I have an iPhone, is it worth the extra coin for the comfort bluetooth & smartphone integration in the (flimsy) armrest? What about the $500 sports suspension "upgrade"? Worth it? I've read that it's nothing more than thicker anti-swaybars, and also read that it includes stiffer springs & shocks. My had a different answer entirely - that it was just different A-arms, which doesn't make any sense. What's reality, and why should I include this option or not?

Thanks for any and all input. This is not a slam-dunk decision for me, and some encouragement from the peanut gallery could go a long ways towards putting an MCS in my garage.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
ROJA
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also a prospective buyer. I am looking at a few different cars in the $25k price range that you might also want to consider, including the RX-8, Mustang GT, and WRX. Although it isn't the fastest (Mustang), the best handling (RX-8), and it is "wrong wheel drive," the Mini is probably the most fun of these cars to live with day in and day out (from what I've read). The Mazdaspeed 3 is also a car mag favorite, although it doesn't move my soul.

Your Z4M is an awesome car- I am a big fan of the coupes. The Mini will definitely be a step down in a lot of ways, but will probably still be a hoot for you.

A few comments on your build:

1. Consider ditching the sport package and using the money to buy your own light wheels (since you will be upgrading tires anyway)-- the OEM wheels are very heavy and not worth the extra $$ to upgrade (part of the sport package).

2. Do you also need the aero kit? That is a big-ticket item that is purely about cosmetics.

3. I believe that the sport suspension is a good performance addition, but let me know what else you learn.

4. No one has heard the HK radio yet, so it's hard to tell if it will be worth the money.

5. Don't you want the DTC? I believe that this is a performance item.

6. I've heard the xenon lights are awesome and well worth the money.

7. Hood stripes?

8. I've heard that the armrest sucks and is to be avoided at all costs, especially with stick (interferes with shifting).

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM
ianskate
1st Gear
Wow, good post guys. These are all things I've been mulling over for a while. I can't seem to justify anything over 28, for what can be considered basic. Even though I know it will be so worth it.

I was considering removing the aero kit from my customizations, but it looks much sexier with it. Living in NYC, I'd love to have the sunroof, the weather is probably just right for using it most of the year.

If I could knock it down to 25/26/27 instead of the 29/30 I'm looking at now, I'd be a happy man. Is anything aftermarket less costly, easily doable, and more worthwhile? (Aside from the armrest)

Maybe just try to get some dealership savings :D
  • DTC: Definitely
  • Sport Suspension: 75% positive
  • HK: Ehh, I can do without it, but I'll wait for any more input on people who've seen the difference.
  • Bluetooth Convenience: I see no other way, and having hands-free with my iPhone is a must as well.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Thanks ROJA... your short list of alternatives doesn't have anything of interest to me. Closest would be the RX-8, but it's an absolute pig on gas mileage (my 330 hp S54 in the Z4MC gets better mileage!) and rotary engines are notoriously low on torque. The only other car I'd consider is a Mk6 GTI, or upcoming R20, assuming it even comes to the states (and if it does, it's about a year away). Problem with those cars is that here in the USA, they're mostly a "kid's" car, and I'm no kid at this point. I don't think that MINI suffers this image at all.. bridges all generations.

I do really want the aero kit.. I like the mono color scheme it provides as well as the additional bodywork. Ditto for the HK system - gotta have the best tunes available as I'm done with spending money on aftermarket stereo stuff. The comfort bluetooth thing I'm far from settled on. That arm rest was REALLY cheesy. I'll probably do without.. but not much savings there.

As for lighter wheels, I've already got that covered. Hadn't thought about ditching the sport package, but that's a great idea - I can a la carte the xenons and white turn signals. I can live without DTC since I'll be ordering the LSD.. which will be rare on '10's since the option is going away shortly after the first of the year.

I'll mess with my build later tonight and come back with what changes I've made.

Keep the replies coming... thanks all!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
You should definately get it, cause it's sexy with LM's. Get gold LM's with the PW. Mmmm...

I agree that the door handles are creaky, but I haven't had any rattle problems unless it's REALLY cold outside.

You build sounds nice, the red colorline would look a little nicer to me than the blue with PW. I don't know if you can add the sport package since it comes with DTC. You don't need it anyways since you're getting them sexy LM's. Just get LSD while you can and Xenons if you want 'em. If I was ordering a 2010, I'd get the HK Sound System. I don't like the armrest with a 6-Speed, it gets in the way. Skip the Sport Suspension. I can't tell the difference. Maybe you can? Test drive and see!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:36 PM
ksohead19
Neutral
Hi Kevin,

Just drove my PW MCS home tonight after a 2 month wait. I have the iPhone 3GS and bought the smartphone prep too. It's awesome and i am glad to have it even though I only have driven it 16 miles. Comfort bluetooth is sweet once I figured out to turn up the iPhone's ringer.

I can tell the difference btw my regular sound system and the HKs of my partner's. But there's been alot said on here about the poor quality of both. Of course, she has an '09 clubman so the HK you'd get would be upgraded I believe.

All in all they're pretty damn fun to drive, er motor!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold my BMW 3 Series convertible to buy my 2009 MCS Convertible and have been extremely pleased with the decision. I did what you suggest - I had new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires installed by the dealer. These tires have been great and they have a 45k tread warranty. Check out the customer reviews at www.tirerack.com. The runflats are ridiculously expensive to replace and really make the ride harsh.

I have owned 9 convertibles and this car is the most fun car of them all. The MINI is so tossable and the S engine matches the 6 speed manual transmission ratios so well. The car will "squirt" from one speed to another at practically any speed in just about any gear. I have had turbos before but find the lag on this MINI set up to be almost non existent in daily use. Full torque is available at 1500 RPM! I have had the car almost 4 months and still look for excuses to drive the car - like I did when I was 16....and that was over 30 years ago!!

I had no restraint on option packages. I like the upgraded stereo and the bluetooth links up well with my iPhone. I thought the comfort option was silly but I love not having to take the key out of the pocket etc. The seat heat is a must have (particularly in a convertible). To me, the xenons are a must have.The rain sensing wipers are nice. I have read some reviews that recommend not getting the sports suspension due to harsh ride unless track is more important than comfort in a daily driver. I did get the sports package but not the sports suspension.

I would get the LSD only if you plan on tracking the car. There are some comments that the LSD can aggravate torque steer to some degree.

These are amazingly fun cars and they are BMW at heart.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM
pointman
1st Gear
"convince me". lol.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hated the armrest and ripped it out. It was just in the way.

My 2007 MCS preceded the USB option. From the threads it seems there are issues with charging the latest iPhone. I use an Apple Universal Dock mounted on a platform on a cup holder, and a Belkin USB car charger. This chargers the iPhone well, and the Dock has a 3.5mm port for connecting the iPhone's dock port audio out to the MINI AUX. I don't have Next/Previous on the MFSW, nor do I have readout on the NAV, but the Dock's remote gives me Next/Previous buttons I can control by feel. It is mounted on the side of the shift console. Reading the threads on the USB charging problems with the iPhone, and the fact that looking at song lists is a bad idea while driving, I think I came out OK. Not sure whether the USB option is preferable or not.

Consider the JCW aero kit. Looks better than the factory version.

I replace the 22.5 lb. Crown Spoke wheels with a set of 16 lb. 17x7 wheels and non-runflat 205/45-17 tires Michelin PE2 tires. I also have a set of 16x7 14 lb. wheels with Pirelli all season 205/55-16 tires, but I'm not happy with those tires. Don't really need the all seasons in California, and they give up a lot from the PE2. I carry a patch kit, and a sealant/compressor kit.

Did you really feel a turbo lag? The MCS has a twin scroll turbo with very little lag. However, if you weren't test driving in Sport mode, the fly-by-wire trottle can seem unresponsive.

I paid $1,000 down, which was 100% refundable (California law). Some people have bought their MINIs in another state to get a better deal.

Otherwise, don't get a MINI. You don't want one. Get a nice practical Honda Accord.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
KevinC, I'm a die-hard MINI fan and it appears I will be that way for a while. I like the car and culture but I wouldn't recommend MINI to everyone. Coming from a "dream car" as you are, you probably won't be happy for long in a MINI. If you can't finance a new 5 series, look into leasing. I know MINI is doing 1.9% right now up to 60 months and I wonder if BMW is doing the same. To me, a MINI is a poor man's super car and it appears you are past that stage.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 AM
flyby
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
To me, a MINI is a poor man's super car and it appears you are past that stage.
I disagree strongly with that. I sold my BMW convert and had looked at a 335 convert, M3 convert, SL550 and 911 Carrera. And although nicer in many ways, dollar for dollar and all things added up I went with the Mini. For me it was simply more fun to tool around in. I heard it once and found it to be true that it is better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's obvious...

that you've got the bug. Buy it fast before the LSD goes away...

Matt

Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
To me, a MINI is a poor man's super car and it appears you are past that stage.
That made me chuckle too. I've had a half dozen cars more expensive and "prestigious" than MINI, including a M3 and a Porsche, and yet I've also had three MINI's now. The first part of your quote I agree with...but you might be surprised how many high end car owners also have MINI's.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
That made me chuckle too. I've had a half dozen cars more expensive and "prestigious" than MINI, including a M3 and a Porsche, and yet I've also had three MINI's now. The first part of your quote I agree with...but you might be surprised how many high end car owners also have MINI's.
MINI's classless appeal sets it apart from usual cute/fast/sporty cars .

Let's motor!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by flyby
I disagree strongly with that. I sold my BMW convert and had looked at a 335 convert, M3 convert, SL550 and 911 Carrera. And although nicer in many ways, dollar for dollar and all things added up I went with the Mini. For me it was simply more fun to tool around in. I heard it once and found it to be true that it is better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
I'm with ya. I drive the BMW for the driver's car that it is - not for the snob appeal, in fact I hate that aspect of it. And I have NO problem moving "downscale", as my long history is with smaller, less powerful cars. In a perfect world, I'd keep the Z4MC and add a MCS, but that's not practical in my present situation.

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.. they're all helpful.

I heard back from my MA this morning - they're willing to do $1k deposit rather than their normal $2.5k. Still playing around with configs and making my "final" decision before writing the check. But right now, moving forward looks very likely.

Last edited by KevinC; 10-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM
minintrigue
4th Gear
Found this last night while surfing around. Pretty much sums it all up for me - I love my MINI

http://www.motoringalliance.com/libr...ni-passion-50/

Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear

Agreed. The MINI is more "connected" and provides a much more fun driving experience than larger, heavier, plusher and even more powerful cars. The basic physics of the wheels at the extreme corners, wide track, short length (yea, like a go cart) and low center of gravity make the handling of the MINI unique.

I know many that own MINI's that have sold heavier and more refined cars that are happy with the MINI. I don't like the creaky plastic door pull and a few other nits but when I walk out in the garage and have a choice of the BMW 530 (which I still love) or the MINI - I fire up the MINI 95 % of the time.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every time I get in my car or think about going somewhere I smile. Driving this car is good fun! The combination of decent power, good brakes, go-kart handling makes every drive a kick in the pants. On your build I would think about a couple of things:

1. White lens - cheap to add if you order, next to impossible or high $ later
2. Rear fogs - I don't need them in the Desert but fills out the row of toggles
3. Comfort Access - To much $ but it sure is nice not to fumble with keys
4. Lumbar support - Only on leather seats but great thread on NAM on upgrading, I've converted both my cloth sport seats ($160 parts), I wanted cloth

All the options are cool depending on what you want, it's all a $ tradeoff thing but it's nice to custom build exactly what you want. Remember that smile each time you even think about going somewhere! What's that worth?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I hated the armrest and ripped it out. It was just in the way.
Based on comments like this and my own negative impression of the thing, I've decided to definitely do without.

My 2007 MCS preceded the USB option.
I'll probably order the iPod integration. I'll also try just using USB sticks and see how that goes. I'm familiar with the bluetooth electronics as they're virtually identical to the E90 3-series. Decent system. As for charging issues with the iPhone, there's a tiny adapter from Belkin or Griffin (can't find a link at the moment, sorry) that converts power output from pre-3G/3GS compatible adapters to work with newer iPhones. That might solve that issue?

Consider the JCW aero kit. Looks better than the factory version.
Thanks for the tip, hadn't thought of that. Just checked it out - I like it. Is it factory- or dealer-installed? If factory - I'll go for it. If dealer - is it prepainted in body color, or does the dealer have to do it?

Did you really feel a turbo lag? The MCS has a twin scroll turbo with very little lag. However, if you weren't test driving in Sport mode, the fly-by-wire trottle can seem unresponsive.
Yes. Not horrible, but it was there. Remember, I'm driving a naturally aspirated car with a 7900 rpm power peak.. it pulls like a freight train all the way to redline and is VERY linear in power delivery. This isn't a big issue, I'd get used to it on the first day. Of more concern is a forced induction engine in the hideously hot summer temps we have here in Phoenix. Not good for performance. But that's OK.

Otherwise, don't get a MINI. You don't want one. Get a nice practical Honda Accord.
Otherwise? I don't get it. I have NO desire to drive an Accord! How did that comment creep in?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 PM
flyby
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
I'm with ya. I drive the BMW for the driver's car that it is - not for the snob appeal, in fact I hate that aspect of it.
Me as well. It was also a factor in getting a Mini. As I mentioned above there were many factors and I went back and forth for months. I don't have any buyers remorse and completely feel like I made the right choice. I stunned my wife and some of our friends with it but I'll bet once they see and drive it they will want one too.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kukaepe
On your build I would think about a couple of things:

1. White lens - cheap to add if you order, next to impossible or high $ later
2. Rear fogs - I don't need them in the Desert but fills out the row of toggles
3. Comfort Access - To much $ but it sure is nice not to fumble with keys
4. Lumbar support - Only on leather seats but great thread on NAM on upgrading, I've converted both my cloth sport seats ($160 parts), I wanted cloth
Great minds think alike - all those are "must" items and included on all of my prospective builds. I like the leather/cloth seats best.. unfortunate that they're a hideously overpriced $1k option, but still a "must" for me.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Me as well. It was also a factor in getting a Mini. As I mentioned above there were many factors and I went back and forth for months. I don't have any buyers remorse and completely feel like I made the right choice. I stunned my wife and some of our friends with it but I'll bet once they see and drive it they will want one too.
THAT is exactly the kind of comment and support I'm looking for. We clearly think alike and have some of the same tastes in cars, and you're 100% gung ho with your MINI purchase. That really helps me.. thank you.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 PM
EUROKOKE
2nd Gear
I'm gettingout of a 2008 335xi to get into a 2010 MCS. I had an 07 MCS and traded it for the BMW. I have been kicking myself since. Now I am a week 41 production with a build date of 9 Oct.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
flyby
2nd Gear
Glad I could help. Good luck with whatever you choose. I'll be looking for your post that reads "New 2010 MCS on Order".

Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Here's the config I think I'll go with... kept it down to $28.7k:

2010 MCS - $22,300
destination - $700
white turn signals - $100
convenience pkg - $1,250
rear fog - $100
LSD - $500
aero kit - $1250 (decided against JCW - unpainted and dealer installed (read - $$)
xenon - $500
anthracite HL - $250
leather/cloth seats $1000 (rooster red with matching color line)
H/K - $750

Total - $28,700

Losing the sport package saved bucks. The wheels would go first day anyways, and the other items I wanted I gained a la carte.

Quick Reply: R56 prospective MCS buyer: convince me