R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does Sport Package change anything besides what's listed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Danae
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Sport Package change anything besides what's listed?

I'm very close to buying my first ever Mini (2010 MCS) and was going to pass on the sports package in favor of 'a la carte' DTC and Xenons. But someone suggested that the package also changes other things besides the 5 items listed in it -- things like shocks, damping, etc. Is this true? Can anyone point me toward definitive documentation one way or the other? Or is that person just thinking of the difference between an MC and an MCS?

Thanks!!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that the sport and non sport package ones I drove were definitely different in terms of handling. this is a canadian model though, so I'm not sure if that would be different or not...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Springs and shocks come with the "Sport Suspension", which isn't part of the "Sport Package" (at least according to MINI's web site). You can get the sport suspension without the sports package.

These 2 seem to cause a lot of confusion. Our MCS has the sport suspension, but not the package.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:24 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
For my 08 european car. I ordered the chilli pack which came with fog lights, 17 in rims, xenon's, sport suspension and ambient lighting

Old 10-17-2009, 01:29 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
The Sport Suspension only gets you 1mm thicker front/rear antisway bars. You'll find people that say you get stiffer springs and dampers, but you don't. I don't think the current Sport Package includes the Sport Suspension (go figure).

Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will you PLEASE stop spreading mis-information Newt. This is not the 1st time you've been corrected on this very matter.

Originally Posted by Michael Czeiszperger
I would think the MINI site would be the definitive source:

http://www.miniusa.com/feature-sport-suspension.html

"You can also choose the Sport Suspension option, with stiffer springs and stronger anti-sway bars for even more aggressive performance. ..."
Though, to the OP. The Sport Package doesn't change any suspension bits, that all comes with the Sports Suspension (a separate option from the package.)

Old 10-17-2009, 08:11 PM
bssiesmth
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ellinara
For my 08 european car. I ordered the chilli pack which came with fog lights, 17 in rims, xenon's, sport suspension and ambient lighting
That's exactly the package I own. The sport suspension is excellent, IMHO. Far more comfortable than my old 2005.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
You'll find people that say you get stiffer springs and dampers, but you don't.
Don't know if they are stiffer but they are different. RealOEM.com lists separate struts and stabilizer bars "For vehicles with Sports suspension settings S226A=Yes". Spring part numbers are not listed (depends on the combination of options on the individual car).

Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
JohnNJohn
1st Gear
Danae the sport package is what it is, If you add up the other things this package offers it's not that bad of a deal.
I'm on my 3rd MINI and I do like this this package and have put it on all, Just wish it was as nice as BMW offers on their other cars ( like sport seats ) anyway your new 2010 MINI will be sporty for sure package or not! UMM it is a S !
What color are you thinking?

JohnNJohn

edited to say MINI S seats are nothing like the BMW seats you get with a BMW sport package, I think the package is a grand more with the BMW's but I would pay for it in a heartbeat to have it in my MINI . That pull out thing should be standard!

Last edited by JohnNJohn; 10-17-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:46 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
[quote=Jeremy1026;2900400]Will you PLEASE stop spreading mis-information Newt. This is not the 1st time you've been corrected on this very matter.

The Mini website is confusing. In the description of features is says you get more agressive springs and dampers with the SS (doesn't mention sway bars at all). When you build a MCS in the configurator and choose SS as an option it says you get thicker antiswaybars front and rear, and does not mention springs/dampers at all. People on the susp forum have verified you get thicker bars, never different springs. I'd actually like some spokesperson from Mini USA to comment on this. What do you get for $500? Stronger springs/dampers and ASBs would be pretty good, but I somehow doubt it.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 10-18-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Will you PLEASE stop spreading mis-information Newt. This is not the 1st time you've been corrected on this very matter.
Stronger springs/dampers and ASBs would be pretty good, but I somehow doubt it.
Newt,

It changes the sway bars, shocks, and springs. period. geeze.

As Jeremy said, stop spreading WRONG information.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
...and does not mention springs/dampers at all. People on the susp forum have verified you get thicker bars, never different springs. I'd actually like some spokesperson from Mini USA to comment on this. What do you get for $500? Stronger springs/dampers and ASBs would be pretty good, but I somehow doubt it.
Really, then what is this info on the US MINI site mean?

Last edited by Julien321; 10-18-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
Written by the marketing department. It could be true. If not, it wouldn't be the first error in the configurator.

It may also be that MINI has changed the nature of the sports suspension with different model years.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:47 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Written by the marketing department. It could be true. If not, it wouldn't be the first error in the configurator.

It may also be that MINI has changed the nature of the sports suspension with different model years.

Please Robin, don't you start spreading mis-information too.
The sports suspension has been the same since 2007.

Why do people disbelieve?! Just go drive one with and without back to back already. sheesh!

If then you still can't believe the sports suspension comes with different shocks and springs then don't get the sports suspension. Actually, maybe you should just get a Nissan Versa because you won't notice the difference there either

Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
You're sure about this? You have some concrete source for this information? I'd like to see something more than just saying it is so.

I'm not sure, as I indicated, but I was under the impression that in 2007 it was just stiffer anti-sway bars. I've never driven the sport suspension. None were available when I test drove MINIs.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I've never driven the sport suspension.
That is obvious.

I doubt anyone who has ever tested it can deny the the springs/shocks are different.

edit:

My JCW that I now have has 17" runflats and the standard suspension. It feels lexus smooth compared to my 2007 with sports suspension and 16" runflats. When I put cross coilovers on the 2007 they were LESS harsh than the sports suspension (although they were still stiff). My wife did not even realize it when I changed to coilovers on the 07. Now that I have the standard suspension she just about begged me not to put the coilovers on it.

The difference between the two is not subtle.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 10-19-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Written by the marketing department. It could be true....
While it could be an error it's not likely since claiming you are getting equipment and charging you extra for it, then not suppling it could lead to a very large class action suite.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
I have 2 09 Clubman, one has the sport suspension and one does not. The struts and springs have different part numbers between the 2 cars.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When I first started looking a the Mini, the salesperson at the dealer told me that it was just the sway bars as well, with no change in the springs and dampers. When I drove the different cars for a test drive (with and w/o sport suspension), I thought to myself, there must be more to this as the sways don't give you such a difference in ride. So, I opted for sports suspension.

So the misinformation is everywhere. Thanks motormouth for helping to clear this up. It just makes much more sense to me.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

Why do people disbelieve?! Just go drive one with and without back to back already. sheesh!

If then you still can't believe the sports suspension comes with different shocks and springs then don't get the sports suspension. Actually, maybe you should just get a Nissan Versa because you won't notice the difference there either
I don't believe that is comes with better springs/shocks because when you select that option is doesn't say you get different springs/shocks. I guess it would be similar to selecting a wheel upgrade and hoping you got better tires too, even though it says you only get different wheels. Sorry, but I go by that much more than by the seat-of-the-pants impressions from people who've driven both (usually with different tires, wheels and sway bars). To play the devil's advocate why mess with the JCW suspension ($2,000 installed) when you get better everything for $500? I'll try on the Susp forum and see if any people who have actually removed the springs from both could tell any difference. Somebody has to know the truth. My experience says you don't get much on a Mini for $500!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
I don't believe that is comes with better springs/shocks because when you select that option is doesn't say you get different springs/shocks...
It's possible (but unlikely) that all the people who have driven both are experiencing placebo effect and are wrong about preconceiving a difference. However it clearly states on the website that you do get an upgrade. But you don't believe that because of what reason? You also believe that Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose is lying when he says he checked and they do have different part numbers? It seems the evidence is overwhelmingly convening that there are different parts involved even if your reasoning tells you otherwise.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I don't believe that is comes with better springs/shocks because when you select that option is doesn't say you get different springs/shocks. I guess it would be similar to selecting a wheel upgrade and hoping you got better tires too, even though it says you only get different wheels. Sorry, but I go by that much more than by the seat-of-the-pants impressions from people who've driven both (usually with different tires, wheels and sway bars). To play the devil's advocate why mess with the JCW suspension ($2,000 installed) when you get better everything for $500? I'll try on the Susp forum and see if any people who have actually removed the springs from both could tell any difference. Somebody has to know the truth. My experience says you don't get much on a Mini for $500!
You have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt several times that you know nothing about suspensions in general and even less about MINI's suspensions. Please, just shut up when people talk about suspensions and enjoy whatever one you happen to have. At this point you have crossed the line and become a troll.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Rowdy
3rd Gear
I drove six different cars prior to purchasing my chilli red S WITH sport susp. A clubman S without sport, a clubman s with, a cooper classic automatic(girlfriend wanted one), a JCW and a cooper S with and without. You damn well know you're driving a car WITH the sport suspension. The cars without had noticeably more bodyroll and felt much softer ride wise. Not to mention it was a lot easier to get them to push and squeal around the local corners.... According to Mini richmond here.. the springs and sway bars are different part numbers between the two.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
As I posted in another thread just recently, I can ASSURE you the shocks in the sport suspension setup are DIFFERENT. There is a large sport label on them that is not present on a non-sport suspension car. Plus, the handling is DRASTICALLY different. I would be willing to bet money the springs are different, too. And the sway bars must be better, too, the body roll is drastically reduced in the sport suspension.

I highly recommend the upgrade to the sport suspension. The ride quality is a bit harsh with the run-flats (I have read it is much improved when regular tires are installed).

Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321

Why I'm skeptical about info on miniusa.com, and a possible reason why this topic has people confused:

Quick Reply: R56 Does Sport Package change anything besides what's listed?