R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS vs MC

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive them both. Make sure it is an extended drive over terrain and with traffic that is usual for your habits. The answer will become clear for YOU.

When making my decision, I was impressed with the MC and was going to get one until my "Ricky Racer" wife insisted on driving the MCS. From that point on the the die was cast. I love my S, but could have had the same feelings for a Justa. On either car, consider the Sports Suspension if you are going to push the car to its limits around the corners.

16 vs 17's? I think the biggest difference is going to non run-flats. Lighter aftermarket wheels make a big difference in the car's snappiness.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MC is base MINI in US but 3rd from base in UK and maybe rest of Europe. They have the MINI First, then the MINI One so you would be getting a relatively performance vehicle already with the MC. MC gets better fuel mileage. MC has few moving parts(turbo) so fewer headaches over longrun. MC costs less than similarly equipped MCS. MCS is ballsier with know-its-there more HP. MCS is more aggressive in appearance with fake hood scoop, honeycomb grill, chrome fuel cap, and dual exhaust. MCS is great for high country where forced induction helps a lot. Me, I love the performance and look of the S but I'm still leary of the turbo over the longrun.

Also, it is possible that an S might cost more in insurance premiums but I'm not sure.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
coachfraley
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Try to talk yr wife into a JCW tune kit for that automatic and watch the fun factor ramp waaaay up!
Ohhhh that would be nice!

But will it happen...

Regarding the insurance issue that was brought up. I was pleasantly surprised to see how cheap the MCS was to insure. I have NO idea why, but it was actually CHEAPER than my 2002 Hyundai Elantra. Go figure.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
...MCS is more aggressive in appearance with fake hood scoop...

Are you serious? I thought the hood scoop was functional on the MCS!! Is this true??

Old 10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong....

The Gen 2 scoop for the most part is fake. It does have a few holes in it if you look, but it does not supply air to the intake. The intake/air filter box is supplied through a tube that is on the driver's side of the engine compartment.

While the air that can enter through the scoop while your MINI is moving can allow fresh cool air into the engine compartment, it is less than what comes in through the front grills. The opening might be more for letting out turbo heat after the car is at rest than anything else.

I have removed the scoop grill and dremeled out the grill openings. I have noticed no performance difference, but heat sure does pour out of there once I park the car.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappleLlama
Are you serious? I thought the hood scoop was functional on the MCS!! Is this true??
it was on the supercharged first-gen models. now it's little more than an easily warped heat dissipator.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:48 AM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drive an 07+ MC and MCS is the only way to decide. It can be hard to find the exact configuration on the loaner cars available for test drive. The tires have a significant impact on ride feel.

The day that I finally decided to get serious on the purchase I test drove the MC and MCS back-to-back for one last time. The MC was fun to drive but the MCS was truly a blast on the highway - - there was no strain on the engine when it swooshed past other cars. I also decided that I really wanted sport seats and 16inch wheels versus the stock 15 on the MC or the optional 17 (too harsh on my roads). Throw in the sporty accents on the MCS + larger brakes and extra power and the price differential wasn't as significant as the base price difference would suggest.

The MC and MCS are equally fun and fast on the twisties IMO.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:19 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisTKD
Test drive an 07+ MC and MCS is the only way to decide.
But you also owe it to yourself to test drive an R50/53. There are good low mileage used cars are out there. It is a really special car in terms of driving feel and dynamics. The 07+ cars... not so much.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Well, my MC is fun enough for me. Maybe it's because neither one comes close to mil aircraft I used to fly. Dunno. I find the fun of my Mini is hitting the curves perfectly, like carving the perfect turn on a ski slope.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
glsmith
1st Gear
Well I appreciate all the input. I know I need to make the drive to my local dealership for the test drive. I am waiting for the supply to increase so I can have multiple variations to test.
A bit of FYI about me and my current situation. I am a 51 year old who is driving a 1993 old Saturn SC2 that I ordered and picked up in November of 1992. Either the MC or the MCS will be an obviuos step up in power and handling. Also I doubt that I'll ever race the new car, but it does sound interesting. I am not sure I would have the opportunity to race it and I wonder if I would be worried about damaging the car not to mention insuring it.
Also here is acopy of an email from a Mini rep about the hood scoop and tires:

Hi Mr. Smith,

Thanks for writing MINI. I appreciate your inquiry and am happy to help.

While most of our MINIs come with run flat tires, our standard size 15 inch wheels will come with conventional tires. If your MINI were to have run flat tires, it will not have a spare.

If you are interested in purchasing a MINI, please contact your local MINI motoring advisor. They will be happy to go over the ordering options to make a MINI uniquely yours.

When MINI switched from the supercharger to the turbocharger, the hood scoop functionality became obsolete. However, MINI kept the hood scoop as a throwback to originality.

If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail.
I would be happy to lend a hand.

LET'S MOTOR.
Nate Galmish
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (866.275.6464)

Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Originally Posted by glsmith
"...MINI kept the hood scoop as a throwback to originality."
Does anyone else find this semantically curious?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 PM
glsmith
1st Gear
One last thing I would like to mention about myself:
I am also considering a Mazda3 (Coupe, Hatch and Speed3 versions).

Any comments from someone who has driven both the Mazda3 and either the MC or the MCS? I welcome your input in comparing the two companies products.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI kept the hood scoop as a throwback to originality.
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Does anyone else find this semantically curious?
It is the conflict in connotation that grates on one's semantic sensitivities.

Throwback usually carries a negative connotation, where "originality" usually has a positive connotation. Wonder which he meant?

If it weren't for the venting of turbo head when stopped, you could say the scoop has become a new anachronism.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 AM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
One last thing I would like to mention about myself:
I am also considering a Mazda3 (Coupe, Hatch and Speed3 versions).

Any comments from someone who has driven both the Mazda3 and either the MC or the MCS? I welcome your input in comparing the two companies products.

Thanks!
Ive driven all three, the MC, MCS, and Mazda 3. I'd go with the MCS, it has handling, power, and individuality!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I think that there's another thread in the "New Posts" page where the person decided on a Mazda instead of a MINI. I'll try to find it and edit this post but I know that Mazda vs. MINI has been debated recently on NAM. We all naturally want you to get a MINI because we love ours, but do what is best for you. You're the one who has to pay for it

Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
The way that most of you feel about an S over a Cooper is the way that I feel about the JCW over the S. When I went car shopping last year, I took a S for a test drive and then a JCW. The difference was night and day. I had to have the JCW.

At the moment my car is at the dealer for an oil change. They gave me a 2010 Cooper S Convertible as a loaner. The loaner feels so slow to me when compared to my JCW.

Either way they are all cool cars that get great gas mileage, handle superbly and have a unique personality. I guess that is why we are are drawn to them. Some are just faster than others.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Waiting
1st Gear
MCS vs JCW

I will be having to choose between a MCS and a JCW, just like Onefish2 above. I am coming from an '03 GTi VR6. When I bought that, I test drove a turbo 4-banger and then the V6. As you can see I went with the more powerful engine. Now I will have to choose between the MCS and the JCW. I'm afraid to test drive it because I may ignore any excessive noise, ride harsness; and, most of all price.
Is the power jump in the JCW very noticable/addicting? How much louder is the JCW from the others? Is the suspension stiffer, or the same as the MCS? Is the extra ~$6,500 worth it to most drivers, or only to the hard core enthusiast?

Old 10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've owned a couple of VR6-equipped GTIs. Nose-heavy pigs to be sure, even if they are sweet motors.

Your '03 is what, 200 hp? And weighs something like 2800-2900 lbs. The MCS is about 200-250 lbs lighter and is 173 hp. Power to weight ratio is similar (roughly). But not nearly so nose-heavy.

I agree with the other points about the cost difference. Unless you have really deep pockets, or just want a stripper anyways, the cost of a JCW with any options checked off will climb stratuspherically. I considered a JCW but in the end, decided that I'd be happier with a well-equipped S. It comes down to your priorities, how deep your pockets are, and whether driving the 2 back-to-back makes it obvious to you which one is the "gotta have it" for you. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
I have 17's on both of my MINI's and had 15" on our 1st MC. I put non run flats on my R53 and it rides MUCH better. My R56 has 17's with stock run flats and it rides a bit than our R53 with runflats. I say go with 16" if you want a nicer ride, no run flats and a AAA gold membership that will tow you 100 miles if you get a flat!!!!1

Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Traded our 2nd Mazda 3 for a Dark Silver Met S 6 speed yesterday. I had a 2.0 with a 5 speed Mazda. MINI is a lot more money but also a lot more car in everyway except rear seat room and trunk. Much sportier and faster. Much tighter handling and a quite ride. When the Maserati is parked the MINI is almost as much fun. It needs an exhaust but the wife will not go for it on the MINI. Very roomy for a small car. Have the 2010 Black Alloy Rims. Glad no 17's or sport suspension. Ride is about the same as the Mazda but much better handling and feel. If you spin the front tires on the Mazda the wheel hope makes you thing the front tires are comig off. That was very ugly in the wet. Makes the car feel cheap. Had a 2005 and 07. Love the new MINI- whole diffeent class of car. MINI has a personality. Mazda 3 is just wheels.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
I want use of one of everything mentioned.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
loud9266
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by k3v1n
or pleasantly surprised about the improved interior, quality, refinement, ride, power and efficiency
+1 but lack of that cool supercharger whine

Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by loud9266
+1 but lack of that cool supercharger whine
But not worth all the other ****in headaches associated with my long-gone 2005 MCS, headaches that simply are not there with my 2009.