R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New to Mini Culture, is this acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Babalouie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Mini Culture, is this acceptable?

I just bought an 09 MCS Chili Red, White roof with a sunroof. I want to get the sunroof wrapped to ward off the South Florida Sun. I would love to put a vinyl American Flag on it. It would look so good. Is this ok or considered bad form?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM
Stig One
Banned
In south florida you need a cuban flag

Old 10-22-2009, 05:57 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I would not be so bold as to tell you that you can't. As a disabled vet, I would ask you not to display the flag in that manner.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

I only offer my opinion. And I thank you for asking.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Babalouie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I would not be so bold as to tell you that you can't. As a disabled vet, I would ask you not to display the flag in that manner.
Thanks 4X, that's all I really needed, no flag on top.

Anyone have ideas on what could be patriotic and go with the red & white colors?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Splattj
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA

4xAAA, I want to start by thanking you for your service to our country.

As to the improper or disrespectful use of the flag, I'm confused. I don't mean to start some sort of fight, but why can a web page dedicated to the flag display an image of the flag but a person can't put an image of the flag on their car? I'd understand laminating the flag to the car would be bad, but we're talking about a sticker (albeit a large one.) I also understand that sitting on, wiping your face with, or printing the flag on something easily disposed of is disrespectful but displaying an image of the flag doesn't seem to be so to me.

All in all, a roof sized flag wouldn't be to my taste but I think if you were the patriotic sort it may suit you well.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Babalouie
Thanks 4X, that's all I really needed, no flag on top.

Anyone have ideas on what could be patriotic and go with the red & white colors?
How about a British flag? It's red, white and blue and matches the car. But didn't those guy's burn the White House?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not want 'Old-Glory' on my roof (or for any other decoration purpose).

The Union-Jack is often used and does not offend anyone (including the English).

You would want a Chile-Red version, but this is an example for a Mellow Yellow/White Roof car that looks great:

The photo above was from this thread.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use the flag "Proudly"

I'm also a Veteran and I don't see anyting wrong with displaying our American Flag. What I see wrong is that not enough Americans will proudly display the flag.
Put it on your car and be proud it is there. Keep it spotless clean. I think it is good of you to want to display the flag in a way everyone will see it and maybe some people will remember just what it stands for.
Disabled American Veteran

Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Babalouie
2nd Gear
To all the veterans: Thank you for your service, I deeply want to honor both the flag and our veterans. That being said I will err on the side of caution, GLADLY, and not use the flag. There's just no reason to offend even one of those who have served.

What about other American patriotic symbols? The American Eagle emblem or something else? Any ideas?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM
AirBoston
2nd Gear
I don't consider a sticker to be an American flag, just an image of one. I don't see anything wrong with putting it on your roof like I have the Union Jack. I had read somewhere that even the cheep 4th of July flags on a stick are not true flags as they are not individual stripes sewn together. IMHO, be proud of your country and display it's colors.

While I had not served myself (something I regret on a regular basis) I am the son of a soldier KIA in Vietnam. I am proud of my country and very respectful of it's flag and constitution.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 AM
jckonrad
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I'm also a Veteran and I don't see anyting wrong with displaying our American Flag. What I see wrong is that not enough Americans will proudly display the flag.
Put it on your car and be proud it is there. Keep it spotless clean. I think it is good of you to want to display the flag in a way everyone will see it and maybe some people will remember just what it stands for.
Disabled American Veteran
Agreed,

I'm also a vet and I don't see any problem with it being there, I'll understand if you want to be cautious but the back window of every other pickup truck I see has the American flag on it, besides, MINI offers (or used to) the American flag as a roof design just as it does the Union Jack. As an American I think it's and admirable thing to do and as a MINI owner I think it's another unique and always welcomed personalization of your car.

There's my 2 cents, hope you enjoy.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Okay. nothimg I say is meant to be political in anyway so there are no implied or hidden messages here. Simply my opinion.

Personally, I disagree with this use of our flag [or any other nation's flag for that matter, including the Union Jack]. My son gave his life defending the flag, our freedom, and this country in Iraq in 2006 and this does not seem appropriate. Please do not turn this into a debate over the war in the middle east!

I don't see a direct stipulation that prevents the flag from being displayed in this manner in the site above. However, because we are still a free nation you have the right to express your self without worry of prosecution.

Keep in mind that if this flag sticker becomes damaged, faded, or worn, it still needs to be treated with the respect and reverance of any other flag and not just chucked in the trash if removed.

Semper Fi

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Thank you for your service, Ronnie. Hooup, uh-rah, sempre fi.

I agree that it is noble and just to display Old Glory. And I am saddened that patriotism ebbs so low these days.

I would not go so far as to say I would be offended by it. But US Code: Title 4,8 sates
§ 8. Respect for flag

How Current is This?

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

I know we are talking about a decal, a replica of the flag, but it is item (j) that strikes a chord of reverence in me. items (d) and (i) must also be considered for applicability.

Again, I would not say I would be offended. If it was already on there, leave it. But if has yet to be placed, please, reconsider.

BTW, remember when Janet Jackson had her wardrobe malfunction at the Superbowl? I was already screaming at the tv because Kid Rock came out wearing Old Glory as a serape. One of the military guys got his attention and KR took it off and handed it to him.

I don't have a suggestion as a replacement on the MINI. But I commend the OP for his patriotism.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
The OP is in Florida, perhaps a Confederate roof design woud be appropriate?

Or, how about the logo of the OP's favorite sports team?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Elwood09
2nd Gear
This is a terrific thread! I am encouraged and proud to be a part of a community where honest and open discussion on this subject can occur without any smart &@$ remarks. Although I have no intent of putting a flag on my roof, I am really interested in he answers we find here.

Thank you to those that have served our country, as well as the families of those hat have served. With no disrespect to others that have responded meant at all, your opinions and responses are the ones I personally value in this discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilotart
I would not want 'Old-Glory' on my roof (or for any other decoration purpose).

The Union-Jack is often used and does not offend anyone (including the English).

You would want a Chile-Red version, but this is an example for a Mellow Yellow/White Roof car that looks great:

The photo above was from this thread.
pilotart or anyone,

Where did you get your decal, who instated it, what other color combos and how much?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 AM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
I am an infantry officer currently serving in Afghanistan. I also did a 15 month combat tour in Iraq in 2007, so I have a little invested in order to state my opinion .

I am a stickler for flying the American flag properly and treating it with respect. However, I don't have an issue with it as a sunroof decoration. Heck, I have a flag sticker on the rear window of each of my vehicles. I personally don't think it looks good but I don't see any disrespect in it. The folks that I have met in mini clubs around the nation seem to be the most respective and patriotic folks I know.

BTW - I have the Union Jack on my classic because it looks cool. Plain and simple, that is the reason.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Babalouie
I just bought an 09 MCS Chili Red, White roof with a sunroof. I want to get the sunroof wrapped to ward off the South Florida Sun. I would love to put a vinyl American Flag on it. It would look so good. Is this ok or considered bad form?
I considered the same question and decided that my State flag was a better choice than the National Flag. (see my Gallery). That said next time I would probably use one of the many Tint solutions . The better Vinyl overlays completely block vision through the moon roof. I spent $1200? to see the sky but I can not now unless the roof is open. In south Texas it is either 100 degrees or raining and those roof open days a few. ajm

Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
pilotart or anyone,

Where did you get your decal, who instated it, what other color combos and how much?
http://cooperflags.com/

http://www.aestheticreations.net/

My roof flag came from Cooper...
Side Shuttle came from Aesthet......

There may be other sources. There should be local Wrap guys that have the software and printed do do custom design. One requirement is having the MINI's dimensions.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Growing up as a kid in the 70's, there was an old red Mini that I use to see on occasion with the union Jack on the roof. I always liked the way it looked, and felt that together, they represented the Mini to me. When I was able to buy my own, the first option I knew I was getting, was the Union Jack on a white roof. I love the American flag, but for my Mini, it's all Union Jack.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
What about the "Don't Tread on Me" flag? The one that is also known as "The First Navy Jack" and it is a derivative of the Gadsden Flag? Prior to 9/11, all U.S. Navy ships flew the jack (Blue field and stars from Old Glory)from the forward mast or Jack Staff) when at anchor or moored and the oldest active commissioned warship (active is the operative word) was the only ship that flew the first Navy jack. Post 9/11, all Navy ships fly that flag from the forward mast/Jack Staff. The Coast Guard and U.S. Customs also use the same flag frequently. It's red and white so the CR/W Cooper would look great with it! if that's "your thing".

Cooper flags also has the "Rondel" found on U.S. Military aircraft.

As a retired Navy Veteran, I follow the flag code and believe in displaying our flag in a respectful manner. I hope it works out for you, I've been considering a roof graphic as well but I'm leaning towards the gray pirate graphic as the colors will work well with the car and then, there's the retired Sailor part that ties in with the Pirate...

Last edited by cmcveay; 10-22-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 AM
bumbles44
1st Gear
MANY thanks to all the Veterans and everyone still serving in our Armed Forces around the world, without you we wouldn't be able to enjoy our freedoms -- as for flag etiquette, I understand the concerns, I am patriotic and have always displayed the Star and Stripes in one way or another so long as it's in 'good taste', I've always had either a small window sticker or small magnet on my vehicle (without any sayings, just the flag) however, I don't think there are enough American Flags displayed - and personally I think the large Flag on the roof of MINI looks cool and is a great representation. I had wanted it for my MINI but didn't realize there was an option with the dual glass sunroof. Just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
then what about all the American flags I see attached to people's cars and are running ragged from flying in the wind?

Im a vietnam era Navy veteran and I see no problem with displaying a S&S flag decal on yr roof.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to the website posted, how sports teams place a patch of the US Flag on their jerseys is deemed inappropriate.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
According to the website posted, how sports teams place a patch of the US Flag on their jerseys is deemed inappropriate.
Yea, most of the US Olympic teams would be in violation.

Quick Reply: R56 New to Mini Culture, is this acceptable?