R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My red MINI is turning Green!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My red MINI is turning Green!!!

British Racing Green, that is.

Now Alvin isn't even quite 2 years old, and only 18K miles on the odo, so I had no intentions of trading just yet. I actually figured on going at least another year and then ordering a 2010 la carte. Until I got one of those buy-back event letters about a week ago, and figured what the hell, can't hurt to check it out. Did a little quick research on the trade-in value of my car, then spec'd out the have-to-have, really-want-to-have, nice-to-have, and absolutely-don't-want packages and other goodies that would catch my interest. On paper, it looked like I might be able to make it work without increasing my monthly penance. So I email my favorite sales chick (cute as hell -- too bad I'm old enough to be her father) with all the info, and a day later she has a line on three possibilities.

I figured this program is all about unloading left-over '09s, so I was expecting choices with a few options that I wanted and a whole bunch that I don't. Not quite so. She found a couple of '09s that were in the ballpark, but not quite close enough to what would make me pull the trigger; but then she pulls out a sheet for a 2010 BRG/W MCS that's being shipped right now and isn't yet spoken for. Cold weather and Sport packages (really wanted both), moon roof (didn't really want it, but I'll take it), anthracite headliner (didn't really want that either, but I'll take it), English Oak interior (didn't even know they HAD that), and HK sound system (top of the list of have-to-haves). Then she came back with the trade-in amount -- 110% of book value, just like the letter said, and within a few dollars of what I had dug up myself. Now she had my attention.

Biggest changes from what I've got -- aside from the modest change of shade from chili red to dark green metallic -- is 17" wheels from 16", and the HK sound from the basic system with upgraded speakers all around. I'm curious to see how the Xenon's compare to the regulars; but most of all, it's the color I originally wanted when I bought mine two years ago. The chili red has really grown on me, but I've always had a thing for that classic BRG and white since they first brought the Mini back out of mothballs. And that dark green might help attract a little less attention from Mr. LEO than RED (not that I ever do anything to deserve Mr. LEO's attention...).

I HAVE to take delivery on it before the end of the month in order to take advantage of the buy-back program, and my sweetheart sales babe ain't about to lose a nice commission, which all means it should be in my garage by next weekend. Cannot wait to start scrapin' the topcoat off another new set of run-flats.

Anybody know if there's a BRG Owner's Club???

Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm happy you're getting the MINI you want. But I don't see why anyone would trade their 2 year old car in for virtually the same car, unless there was something wrong with it, or you were getting a different transmission, etc. I would have at least waited for the 2011 facelift or the new roadster coming out. But hey, its your money!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by k3v1n
I'm happy you're getting the MINI you want. But I don't see why anyone would trade their 2 year old car in for virtually the same car, unless there was something wrong with it, or you were getting a different transmission, etc. I would have at least waited for the 2011 facelift or the new roadster coming out. But hey, its your money!
#1, The buy-back ... the numbers make it a deal that's really hard to pass up. I actually ended up with a lower payment. If it wasn't for that offer I wouldn't even have been looking.
#2, Yes, it's pretty close to what I have, but it's got enough new options (just a few, but enough) to make it worth it -- to me. Plus it's three years newer. And it's Green.

I did give it some serious thought before contacting the dealer (I even told my wife first). One of the things that made it a tough choice was the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with mine ... other than a little tire wear, it's running as good as the day I took it home.

As for the other things you'd have waited for, I'm not interested in the roadster, and God knows how much more this 'facelift' is gonna balloon in size if the European safety ***** have their way (as they did from gen 1 to gen 2). I would be kind of interested in the Crossman, or whatever they're going to call it, but rumor has it that's gonna be a pretty steep jump on the sticker from a Cooper. Even if the next gen Mini looks like something I'll wish I had waited for, I'm sure it will be around long enough for me to do something silly again.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I think that you made the right decision. After reading your post, I have to agree that if I were offered the same deal, I would probably take it. I love my car and I don't plan on selling it for at least 10 years but it's a no-brainer to get a newer car, with a higher resale value, with more options, 0 on the Odometer, and a savings each month on your payments. Congrats and please post pictures! I have a soft spot for BRG too

Old 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lacynpiper
I think that you made the right decision. After reading your post, I have to agree that if I were offered the same deal, I would probably take it. I love my car and I don't plan on selling it for at least 10 years but it's a no-brainer to get a newer car, with a higher resale value, with more options, 0 on the Odometer, and a savings each month on your payments. Congrats and please post pictures! I have a soft spot for BRG too
Ha ... Horizon Blue/White was a very close second color choice ... actually my first for awhile when it first came out, but then I drifted back to BRG.
Thanks, and will definitely post pics!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 PM
skerm8
2nd Gear
sorry you will be leaving the Chili Red's but a trade up is nice. What is the roadster? Can anyone tell me about that? I bet it must be on the MINI website maybe. ? --STACY

Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
I hope you get a bit of copper dust in the green.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
What buy back event....?

I'm looking to trade my MC in for a new MCS in the next few weeks.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
What buy back event....?

It's by invitation-only ... don't know what qualifies owners to get one, but you'd have gotten a letter in the mail from Mini already if you did. It might even be only selected dealers. Unfortunately you have to take delivery by the end of October. I'm cutting it really close, because the one I'm getting is still on the truck somewhere.

Originally Posted by skerm8
What is the roadster?
Here's a pic, and here's one of several articles. I didn't see anything on the Mini site, but if you Google 'Mini Roadster', you'll get all kinds of stuff. Not quite my cup of tea, but an interesting twist anyway.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
What buy back event....?

There is no "buy back event". Its a sales tactic a lot of dealers use to lure previous buyers back into showrooms. apparently it works...

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by k3v1n
There is no "buy back event". Its a sales tactic a lot of dealers use to lure previous buyers back into showrooms. apparently it works...
Laugh it up. Whatever it is, I got a full 10% more on the trade than every source I checked says it's worth, and they didn't jack up the price of the new one. I'm getting my first color choice and the options I wanted the first time around but didn't feel like waiting for them. Whether it's an event or a tactic or a ploy or a clusterf#ck, I'm getting a better deal than I otherwise would have gotten. What the hell is your problem. Go p!ss on somebody else's parade.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 AM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Congrats Ed on "seeing the light, BRG that is"! You can check out this NAM thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...en-thread.html The only requirement that I'm aware of is you have to post pictures, either in the thread or in your gallery. Check out my BRG Cooper in my gallery. BRG rocks.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EdsRedMini
Laugh it up. Whatever it is, I got a full 10% more on the trade than every source I checked says it's worth, and they didn't jack up the price of the new one. I'm getting my first color choice and the options I wanted the first time around but didn't feel like waiting for them. Whether it's an event or a tactic or a ploy or a clusterf#ck, I'm getting a better deal than I otherwise would have gotten. What the hell is your problem. Go p!ss on somebody else's parade.

Woah there......

Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EdsRedMini

Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM
5zero4
4th Gear
I gotta say... the new mini concepts are pretty cool. The thing I'm most excited about is the factory Joey mod. How much will they want for a set of OEM black headlights I wonder? I might hold off doin the mod till then I think...