R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Impressions of the automatic tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I traded my 07 manual for an 08 auto because I got tired of a manual in traffic. I like the crisp manual shifts when in sport mode and like the smooth shifts when not in sport mode. I like the paddle shifters but prefer using the stick to shift in manual. I like having the ability to just drive and let the car do the shifting for me in full auto when I don't want to deal with it. What can I say, I like the auto!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have both. My car 03 MCS w/6 speed, hers 09 MCS w/auto. I like my "old school" shifting until I hit traffic Have to admit her car is very nice to drive with the auto Like as been said, once you get used to the paddles they work really well. And then you always have the option of the straight auto

Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
jmnegrin
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to say thanks to all coherent contributors. I am giving up my '06 MCS, in trade for a '10 MCSa. Bad knee. I have VERY limited time with the Mini Automatics, so all good, non-irrational input is appreciated. Face it, an Auto isn't a stick, and vice versa. So, hearing different opinions from those who have decent experience in each is invaluable. Thanks again, group.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Sabes
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
tell that to the next F1 driver you meet, cbs.
Are you comparing the paddle shifters in the mini to ones in an f1 car?? The transmissions in an f1 car is probably closer to a manual (and closest to DSG). They are nothing like an automatic transmission, not in the slightest. Well except the physical paddle shifters.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:26 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nickminir56
Too many people just jump in and believe they can master Mini's advanced automatic gearbox in 2 minutes -- it takes sometime to learn how to properly operate this automatic, let alone use it well.
That's a real head-scratcher of a statement to me.

If true - then what on earth is the point of even getting an automatic? (edit: a bum knee is a pretty good reason!) Someone wanting to shift - whether with paddles, the stick on the floor, whatever - is far better off with a "real" manual tranny. I suspect one reason these things even exist (the fancy automanual paddles etc) is the strange paranoia that exists among some people regarding how to learn to drive a car with a clutch. It shouldn't take anyone more than 30 minutes to learn, and about a day to practice to semi-competency, with full competency shortly afterwards. Yet so many people seem to shy away, which is a shame.

Last edited by KevinC; 10-28-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
That's a real head-scratcher of a statement to me.

If true - then what on earth is the point of even getting an automatic? (edit: a bum knee is a pretty good reason!) Someone wanting to shift - whether with paddles, the stick on the floor, whatever - is far better off with a "real" manual tranny. I suspect one reason these things even exist (the fancy automanual paddles etc) is the strange paranoia that exists among some people regarding how to learn to drive a car with a clutch. It shouldn't take anyone more than 30 minutes to learn, and about a day to practice to semi-competency, with full competency shortly afterwards. Yet so many people seem to shy away, which is a shame.
It's a shame that I have to deal with <10mph city traffic everyday.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabes
Are you comparing the paddle shifters in the mini to ones in an f1 car?? The transmissions in an f1 car is probably closer to a manual (and closest to DSG). They are nothing like an automatic transmission, not in the slightest. Well except the physical paddle shifters.
...and certainly doesn't have an auto's Achilles heal: the torque converter.

Last edited by Julien321; 10-28-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
goat
3rd Gear
I love the rationalization that goes on in threads concerning autoboxes - in every forum, incidentally. There are auto journalists today (largely US and Canadian ones, mind) that don't even know HOW to drive a stick. The greater portion of the driving population cannot either. With the ubiquitousness of the auto, person after person "concedes". Up to this point, all is good. However, they then take the step too far and claim that it is "just as good", no, "superior even" to a manual transmission. It is funny to see people (like the OP) attacked for stating what should be extraordinarily obvious to anyone who has spent a lot of time driving a lot of cars in a sporting fashion: given equal opportunity and driver competence, an automatic gives significantly less driving satisfaction! At worst, driving an automatic transmission is frustrating; at best, it is boring.

Look, we "manual snobs" truly get it - some people have commutes, others have a physical limitation that prevents them from driving stick - that is fine, that is why automatics exist. But I have grown quite weary of people, including many auto journalists, equivocating on this topic and making claims about how an automatic tranny is just as good to drive in a sporting car or even an all-out sports car (or just about any car, frankly)! In half a century and more of improvement they continue to be a compromised driving experience and often fall out of sync with vehicle's intended dynamics... they cannot tell what you are thinking as a driver so they get "confused" far too easily, up and down grades, into corners, during a sudden lane change under power, sometimes even under braking. It doesn't matter if it is a fabulous 2010 model 7-speed gearbox with the latest "logic", it simply cannot anticipate the driver's intent in the cut and thrust of either busy traffic or certainly a race track. (Really, thinking rationally, how could it?)

So I for one sympathize with the OP... if you think auto MINIs are a disappointment to drive, try a BMW loaner as I have had "the privilege of" in the past. Even at those torque levels the autobox saps all joy from the I6. For the feeling of being "one with the machine", I would rather drive the crudest econobox with a stick shift (rubbery throws and all) than a full-on sports car or sports sedan with an automatic. All the autoboxes are compromises in this sense... the DSG, being an automated manual, is thankfully the "best of the worst" but you don't have to look far on the web to read of owners who purchased a DSG-equipped (or similar such as PDK from Porsche or SMG from BMW, etc.) and flipped the car for a manual tranny first chance they got out of sheer boredom.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I'm feeling unworthy to even claim I own a Mini. I personally love clutches, and would own one if not for my wife wanting to drive the new "S" too. So I made a compromise, knowing I'm not ever going to race the thing...not to mention the fact I'm 48 and have a number of years of "past" experience driving high performance cars with manual transmissions (so I got it out of my system). But, knowing now just how much an "auto Mini" is considered an inferior and sub-standard wanna-be, not sure what to do from here.

Damn I feel like crap now for buying an overpriced boat anchor....

Last edited by 10Zero; 10-28-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goat
I love the rationalization that goes on in threads concerning autoboxes - in every forum, incidentally. There are auto journalists today (largely US and Canadian ones, mind) that don't even know HOW to drive a stick. The greater portion of the driving population cannot either. With the ubiquitousness of the auto, person after person "concedes". Up to this point, all is good. However, they then take the step too far and claim that it is "just as good", no, "superior even" to a manual transmission. It is funny to see people (like the OP) attacked for stating what should be extraordinarily obvious to anyone who has spent a lot of time driving a lot of cars in a sporting fashion: given equal opportunity and driver competence, an automatic gives significantly less driving satisfaction! At worst, driving an automatic transmission is frustrating; at best, it is boring.

Look, we "manual snobs" truly get it - some people have commutes, others have a physical limitation that prevents them from driving stick - that is fine, that is why automatics exist. But I have grown quite weary of people, including many auto journalists, equivocating on this topic and making claims about how an automatic tranny is just as good to drive in a sporting car or even an all-out sports car (or just about any car, frankly)! In half a century and more of improvement they continue to be a compromised driving experience and often fall out of sync with vehicle's intended dynamics... they cannot tell what you are thinking as a driver so they get "confused" far too easily, up and down grades, into corners, during a sudden lane change under power, sometimes even under braking. It doesn't matter if it is a fabulous 2010 model 7-speed gearbox with the latest "logic", it simply cannot anticipate the driver's intent in the cut and thrust of either busy traffic or certainly a race track. (Really, thinking rationally, how could it?)

So I for one sympathize with the OP... if you think auto MINIs are a disappointment to drive, try a BMW loaner as I have had "the privilege of" in the past. Even at those torque levels the autobox saps all joy from the I6. For the feeling of being "one with the machine", I would rather drive the crudest econobox with a stick shift (rubbery throws and all) than a full-on sports car or sports sedan with an automatic. All the autoboxes are compromises in this sense... the DSG, being an automated manual, is thankfully the "best of the worst" but you don't have to look far on the web to read of owners who purchased a DSG-equipped (or similar such as PDK from Porsche or SMG from BMW, etc.) and flipped the car for a manual tranny first chance they got out of sheer boredom.
Wow! You get a special pin for such an informative post.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP

Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear

Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Look, we "manual snobs" truly get it - some people have commutes, others have a physical limitation that prevents them from driving stick - that is fine, that is why automatics exist.
Uh... WHAT????!!! That last statement is pretty silly.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
KevinC
5th Gear

Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Ask me if I care what anybody thinks about my auto Mini. I paid for the car and I drive the car. How I feel about my car is all that matters.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
goat
3rd Gear
Didn't realize this forum was an echo chamber for slushbox driver groupthink (or, apparently, populated by insecure and defensive "grown ups" quick to shout down a dissenting view - ironic given that nearly every other nation outside America and Canada there is no doubt about which transmission is preferred in a hot hatch with as much genuine pedigree as the MINI - in all those nations the vast majority of licensed drivers can work a manual as par for the course, possible corrolation you think?). My post was meant to speak truth to the power of politically correct equivocation. But if you want to shoot the messenger, that is fine too... Enjoy your clutch-free drive and don't mind the greater driver involvement and fun being had on the other side of the showroom.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Enjoy your clutch-free drive and don't mind the greater driver involvement and fun being had on the other side of the showroom.
Thanks, we'll do that.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 PM
MiniR56MCS
1st Gear

Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Didn't realize this forum was an echo chamber for slushbox driver groupthink (or, apparently, populated by insecure and defensive "grown ups" quick to shout down a dissenting view - ironic given that nearly every other nation outside America and Canada there is no doubt about which transmission is preferred in a hot hatch with as much genuine pedigree as the MINI - in all those nations the vast majority of licensed drivers can work a manual as par for the course, possible corrolation you think?). My post was meant to speak truth to the power of politically correct equivocation. But if you want to shoot the messenger, that is fine too... Enjoy your clutch-free drive and don't mind the greater driver involvement and fun being had on the other side of the showroom.
Goat, have you actually driven a auto for any amount of time? If not, then how can you say what you say? Like my first response in this thread is, that we own both, and both are still extremely fun to drive, even the auto I have gotten very good at shifting very fast with her paddles. The only thing you really can't do is to skip gears.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Goat, have you actually driven a auto for any amount of time? If not, then how can you say what you say? Like my first response in this thread is, that we own both, and both are still extremely fun to drive, even the auto I have gotten very good at shifting very fast with her paddles. The only thing you really can't do is to skip gears.
You can with the paddles(very difficult with shifter). Pull/push the paddle quickly the system knows you're trying to skip gears. I did up/down 3 gears (e.g. 2 to 5 up-shift or 6 to 3 down-shift) without too much effort.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by nickminir56
You can with the paddles(very difficult with shifter). Pull/push the paddle quickly the system knows you're trying to skip gears. I did up/down 3 gears (e.g. 2 to 5 up-shift or 6 to 3 down-shift) without too much effort.
Hmm...haven't had the guts to try that, especially since my wife would literally kill me if I screwed something up

Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 AM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Ask me if I care what anybody thinks about my auto Mini. I paid for the car and I drive the car. How I feel about my car is all that matters.
I was truly being a smartass earlier, with a hint of sarcasm. I really like my "automatic", it's a kick in the butt to drive, and I don't care what others think.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 AM
Babalouie
2nd Gear
Geez Goat, are you angry that we like our autos? I drove a rear wheel drive, v8, five speed for the past 7 years. I loved it and the driver involvement was great. Moving to a front wheel drive is much more challenging than moving to the auto shifter. But I'm very, very happy with the auto, it downshifts smoother and faster than I could in my mustang, its responsive, its super fun and I find that my fear of feeling like I made a mistake in getting the auto just aren't there. The only thing I miss is the heal toe downshifting but I'm happier with the auto than I thought I could be...as happy as I would have been getting the 6 speed? YEP!

That being said, I am not offended, angry, annoyed, put off or otherwise pissed off at anyone who disagrees with me, or has another opinion. It does however, make me wonder about a person who feels they must always be right, that their opinion is superior to all others, that they must pontificate with an eye towards a demonstration of superior knowledge, abilities, thought or insight at the expense of other peoples experiences and feelings. These people never seem to "get it" that these forums are about community, social connection and sharing an experience, in this case all things MINI. Their lack of connection is not because of some superior resource but its actually a lack of empathy, an inability to understand human relationships at anything other than a surface level. The two words that seems to capture the nature of these people is arrogant and narcissistic. So in the future, Goat, please try to practice what your mother should have taught you: If you don't have something nice to say don't say it, if you have to say it, say it nicely.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^^very well written and that is why they don't allow politics or religion to be discussed, too many "arrogant and narcissistic" folks around.
<...>"superior <...> "manual snobs" <...> sheer boredom.
OXYBLUECOOP also said it well:

Saw where goat's brother said he should have stayed in his pedal-cart... but goat thought bro was being shallow...

Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM
goat
3rd Gear
Hey are you guys finished with the needless personal attacks? Finished patting yourselves on the back too?

Ok... one last "reach across the aisle"... I wrote as I did because the OP made a legitimate post and several very defensive automatic drivers jumped all over him shouting him down. Few had anything nice to say to the OP but it was ok in that case but somehow since "I don't have anything nice to say" I should say nothing. A quiet group of forums this would become if all we did is agree with each other, no?

Quick Reply: R56 Impressions of the automatic tranny