R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Impressions of the automatic tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
fermat1313
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions of the automatic tranny

So I took my Mini in for service today, and got a nice almost-new Cooper S (thanks, Mini of Dallas!) Of course, as a loaner, it has an auto - the first Mini Auto transmission I have driven. Overall, really disappointing. Here's what I've noticed:

The paddle shifters suck. The push-pull for shifting doesn't work at all. Much better to have upshift on the right and downshift on the left. Also, mounting the shifters on the steering wheel instead of the stalk is a bad idea. Couple times I had to go searching for the shifters to upshift coming out of a corner.

In manual mode, the lag between when I pull or push on the shifter and the actual shift is way too long. What was strange was that sometimes it would shift quickly. It was if my input was just one factor in the transmission's decision of whether to shift or not.

Anyway, it just reminded me how much I love my manual tranny. I was rather disappointed with the Mini's auto though. I've driven others I haven't minded so much. This just felt so disconnected.

Anyone here have the same experience?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
The paddle shifters work fine for me. No such problem or confusion... Stick is ok too.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a recent long thread full of complaints from "S" owners and their Automatics, could be a slight mis-match with the powerful motor.

On my Cooper, it is the best automatic I have driven, none of the issues mentioned by the Cooper 'S' drivers. Shifts quick and smooth,
or firm in Sport Mode. MINI's dropping paddles from the Cooper is one reason for me not to buy the new Cabrio.

My first 'paddle-shifters' and they seem very intuitive to me and always under a fingertip, but then I like the turn signals as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many people just jump in and believe they can master Mini's advanced automatic gearbox in 2 minutes -- it takes sometime to learn how to properly operate this automatic, let alone use it well.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
No complaints here either. Nice and docile around town when I want it and don't feel like shifting, comes to life just as easy flipping it into manual and hitting the sport button. But when it is in manual mode with the sport button turned off, there's a little lag between your shift and it actually shifting The Sport button clears most of that up.

Paddle shifters work just fine too, just gotta get used to the configuration (thumbs for down shifting and fingers for up shifts). Plus, I think the position is just fine with the hands at 9 and 3 flicking it through curves and turns.

Mines a 2010, doubt there was any change from 2009...but who knows. they went and changed wheel sensors for 2010, and no one knew that either til I had my own issues.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'm not a fan of BMW automatic paddle shifters as well, I prefer up/down shifters on opposite sides.

The automatic feels very quick (maybe faster than the manual) but the '09 loaner I drove with DSC and no DTC felt like it had way too much torque steer. Guess I'm too used to my LSD. I just feel too out of control with the automatic. Pretty jerky as well. Granted, I had it only for 3 days.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
I have a 2009 MC automatic and generally keep it in sport mode/manual shift. Because most of my cars were manual transmissions 4 or 5 on the floor, I choose to use the shift lever rather than the paddles 90% of the time. I find either one produces quick smooth up or down shifts, I am totally pleased with this automatic and glad I chose it over the manual because at this age and stage of my life I like having the choice of it in "D" and letting the "Brain" do it.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope...two years and 85k of almost constant use of the paddles and shifting in manual mode with nothing but praise for the Aisin automatic.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nickminir56
Too many people just jump in and believe they can master Mini's advanced automatic gearbox in 2 minutes -- it takes sometime to learn how to properly operate this automatic, let alone use it well.
Are you kidding me? Isn't the point of the automatic to not even think about shifting and have that silly autobox do the work for you?! After driving about 3 different MINIs with automatic tranny's I can say they are definitely not as fun as one with a stick.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Babalouie
2nd Gear
I just bought an 09" MCS with Steptronic. I've driven a Mustang GT manual with a short throw shifter for the past 7 years. I like driving and shifting. BUT I LOVE this automatic. It gives me complete control of the gear and revs, its fast shifting, its super fun with either paddles or the stick. I really enjoy the sequential type shifting with the stick. I miss heal toe driving but I think this Steptronic auto is just amazing. Its my first paddle shifter and I agree that the location of the paddles can be confusing but that's just an issue of learning curve.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
I drove a SLK AMG 55 (7 speed full locking torque converter in all gears, locking manual shifts and proper right up, left down paddles) for 4 years and AMG probably produces the best auto on the planet. However an auto is still a sluhbox and can never reproduce the driving experience of a manual.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
I used to drive an R56 MCS with auto tranny and really enjoyed it, although at the time the reason I opted for the auto was because I couldn't drive a standard. Before that MINI, I had been driving literal crap auto slushboxes (Ford Ranger, Kia Optima, Ford Tempo back in the early high school days) so the MINI's tranny was just brilliant to me! I've been driving an '07 GTi with the DSG gearbox for a while now and I'm consistently blown away by the smoothness of the transition between gears and the semi-intuitiveness of the paddles. Using the stick to shift was odd for me since it's backward from the way the MINI was (and the way I think it should be), but whatever.

I'm now looking to get back into a MINI and went and test drove a few cars this past weekend. Though I like the convenience of the auto, I will not be going back into one. Coming from the DSG, it just feels jerky. I can now drive a stick just fine so I don't mind saving that $1250 off the price tag.

Now just gotta survive the next 4-8 weeks til he arrives!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 AM
TRL
2nd Gear
Me too

I had some of the exact same feelings when I had a loner S auto for two weeks.

I never got the hang of the paddles at all. I quickly decided to just use the "stick" for the +/- shifting and thought it worked great however. The lag, which was very apparent with the paddles, seems less so with the stick (probably not). While I still prefer the stick (and the lower cost of the stick) I did really enjoy using the +/- feature.

I also decided that with the auto there were times when I definitely did not want the Sport button on. Just cruising around town the shifts were too late and hard. Guess that's why you can turn it on and off as needed. With my stick, it is on all the time.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely love my JCW-tuned automatic. sure it's not perfect, but it suits me fine, and I love the complete and total control--and the fact I need not worry about a defective LuK clutch frying out prematurely (as they did twice on my 2005 S.) On the track and twisties the fact I change gears a lot faster than a manual, while keeping both hands on the wheel, is a huge bonus. Plus, 6th gear is soo tall I rarely use it under 100 mph (on the track, of course.)

Ive also pulled sub-14.4 standing 1/4 mile times just by not shifting manually and letting the Aisin perform its magic in full D, Sport mode on. It's quite the sensation...

But my question to the OP is this: you're driving a freaking loaner. Why the **** do you care so much as to rate starting a new thread? If you are trying to ignite a flame war then you're certainly on the right track, for we auto owners--inc some who are disabled and cant drive a manual--are a tight group.

Last edited by sequence; 10-27-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Are you kidding me? Isn't the point of the automatic to not even think about shifting and have that silly autobox do the work for you?! After driving about 3 different MINIs with automatic tranny's I can say they are definitely not as fun as one with a stick.
tell that to the next F1 driver you meet, cbs.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had an automatic MC as a loaner last week. I got way too bored driving it, and I thought that having 3 different ways for the car to shift is way too much. Also, it felt very jumpy switching through the gears when I was trying to speed up quickly.

I'll stick with a 6 speed. Cheaper and way more fun.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
But my question to the OP is this: you're driving a freaking loaner. Why the **** do you care so much as to rate starting a new thread? If you are trying to ignite a flame war then you're certainly on the right track, for we auto owners--inc some who are disabled and cant drive a manual--are a tight group.
Definitely one of the reasons I stay outta topics like these. Incites too many rehash arguments.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Yeah right

Last edited by nickminir56; 10-27-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
fermat1313
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence

My question to you is this: Why are you taking it so personally? I just had my thoughts, particularly because I had heard other people talk highly about it. I didn't insult anyone, I didn't impugn anyone's reputation. I didn't say if you drive an automatic you're less of a person. I know that everyone has different needs and different opinions. For some reason I thought that we could talk about differences of opinion about Mini-related topics on this forum. In fact, it generated the type of reasonable conversation about the different opinions that I was hoping for.

Please let me know what acceptable topics will be and I'll try to stick to those in the future (or maybe not)

Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Babalouie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fermat1313
My question to you is this: Why are you taking it so personally? I just had my thoughts, particularly because I had heard other people talk highly about it. I didn't insult anyone, I didn't impugn anyone's reputation. I didn't say if you drive an automatic you're less of a person. I know that everyone has different needs and different opinions. For some reason I thought that we could talk about differences of opinion about Mini-related topics on this forum. In fact, it generated the type of reasonable conversation about the different opinions that I was hoping for.

Please let me know what acceptable topics will be fund I'll try to stick to those in the future (or maybe not)
Hey I'm new to NAM and to Minis. I was glad this topic came up and felt no disrespect from the OP's mistaken opinions , or the OP Lets keep it fun. I was thinking of starting a thread about the Steptronic...figured there would be clear difference of opinions but didn't think it would be traumatic for anyone

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
I've never driven the automatic and don't really have the intention or desire to do so.

Kind of off topic but my dealer gave me a manual MCS loaner for a day (I think it was a demo car) and I had tons of fun with it knowing it wasn't my car I was so surprised when I got in the car and saw the stick! I was expecting a automatic.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Lil Q
2nd Gear
We went back and forth between the Auto and Manual. Unfortunately every time we went to the dealership and did a test drive the Manual(s) were already out with someone else. One time I did offer that my wife take the non-s out to try the stick, but she didn't even want to suspecting the non-turbo might make her dislike the Manual and it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
We both hate (HATE!) "rush" hour traffic, and often times it can be made that much more annoying when driving a stick (for me at least, I have driven several Manual and Autos and always get more frustrated with Manuals during stop and go traffic). The Steptronic system allows us to use a "manual" when we want and then Auto for the other times.
Neither of us hit the track, nor plan too race.

I find the shifting to be just as I would expect, and I do like that both paddles can shift up or down. Originally I found it counter-intuitive, but since texting, reading books, and other things that can keep my eyes off the road it's nice to know I can shift in either direction with either hand should I choose to not drive with my knees......in seriousness, I do like it doesn't matter which hand I have my coffee/beverage in and can shift with either paddle.
I tend to be a right-handed driver/left handed coffee/beverage drinker, but I am a serial directional user and have to change sometimes to driving with left hand and holding with right when I get into an area where I have to change lanes often. (I am also a defensive driver, so this morning when we got a first snow I drove with both hands because the other drivers can just be downright scary).

Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
As soon as you "get" the paddle shifters it's a non-issue. Thumb to downshift, other 4 to upshift. Becomes pretty intuitive actually. Also places your hands in the 9 and 3 positions for steering. Although I do agree that hitting the paddles while turning can be a pain.

With regards to stop and go traffic I've become so accustomed to driving stick that it's a non-issue now. For the worst bumper to bumper, all I'm really doing instead of modulating the brake is modulating the clutch (inclines can ruin that of course).

But overall I don't think that the auto hunts for the proper gear as much as you think. I have a feeling if you drove it for awhile you'd start nailing the proper times/circumstances to shift. JMHO based on driving a MCSa's on several occasions.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
tacostrk
2nd Gear
What really sucks is you get used to the mini auto and then jump in a vette auto with paddle shifters and they are they exact opposite, push to upshift pull to downshift.

Quick Reply: R56 Impressions of the automatic tranny