R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bargaining at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:41 PM
eclaire
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bargaining at the dealership?

Hey guys, I bought a mini that was already ordered by the dealership and being delivered a month or so after I purchased. I'm picking it up around next week, but I have some questions for you guys first...

I was reading the "did you receive anything from MINI after your purchase" post, and the majority of people seem to get free mats with their purchase at the dealership, and some even get free stripes/mud flaps/whatever so it got me thinking...

first of all my MA told me that they would charge me a "handling" fee of 300-500$ (cant remember exactly) AND charge me the shipping fee of 700$. I remember thinking at the time it was kind of strange because I hadn't ordered the mini, I was buying what they had already ordered, so why should I have to pay the extra shipping & handling fee?

She also said that I would have to pay an extra $300 to have them put on white bonnet stripes (even though they're free when you order...) and that I would have to pay the full price for mats for the car.

Is my MA playing me? Should I say something, or is this typical?

Thanks for any help, guys

EDIT

I also forgot to add, I looked up my mini on the "track your mini" thing on the owner's lounge website, and it says it's a 2009 mini cooper. HOWEVER I paid for and was told I was getting a 2010 mini cooper... does the 2009 mean I'm just purchasing it in the year 2009, or is it actually a 2009 model?

And if it is a 2009 model, what should I do? Of course get my 400 some dollars back that they charge for the 2010 but I feel like if they mess up in telling you the actual model of the car when you purchase they should give you some kind of sweet deal.
I even said to my MA when purchasing that I was considering buying a 2009 model and having it shipped to my dealership because a lot of dealerships around the states had really good deals on exactly the car I wanted, like 1000-2000 off what they were asking, and she convinced me that buying a 2010 was a better idea even though I wouldn't get a deal.

So frustrated!!

Last edited by eclaire; 10-27-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The destination fee is almost always added on to any car, but the possible $1200 is really really high. $300 for stripes is also ridiculous. You can get custom stripes, and have them installed for that. The mats were included for me, but I don't think every dealer gives them out.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 PM
eclaire
Neutral
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
The destination fee is almost always added on to any car, but the possible $1200 is really really high. $300 for stripes is also ridiculous. You can get custom stripes, and have them installed for that. The mats were included for me, but I don't think every dealer gives them out.
What's the usual fee? (instead of 1200$)

And what do you usually pay for the stripes? I can't believe you even have to pay, grr.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When custom-ordering a car, you don't have much leverage (given the very few Mini dealerships that exist to potentially compete for your business). But when buying a car either from stock or an unsold incoming car, that's a different animal. You should absolutely be able to get them to agree to do the stripes at no additional charge, you have a valid point on that and it's not a lot of money, especially since they're (apparently) not offering any other kind of discount. The $700 destination fee is (in varying amounts) something you're going to pay on any new car.

The 2009 vs 2010 thing is weird, no reason a 2009 should still be in transit (is there?), 2010's have been rolling for some time now. If it's a 2009 and you don't mind, demand a screaming bargain, or walk.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
The bonnet stripes should be free. I paid MSRP and got free rubber mats and a boot mat. Destination is normal and should include all handling fees.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's usually around $650-$700.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't say where you are located or if another Dealer would be an option, if I were you I'd take the "other" option. This MA is blowing so much smoke I can't see my TV!!

The Destination Fee listed on the Invoice is all you should have to pay, nothing more. Some have even had that waved.

You are doing the Dealer a favor by taking a car off of their hands as soon as it lands on US Soil AND they should be acting like it!!

Don't assume that everything your MA is saying is set in stone, you haven't signed anything yet, negotiate for every thing you want. All they can say is "NO", and when they do...WALK!!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
I bought a car that was on the lot, so I paid below MSRP, but for a car that is ordered, dealers usually do not discount at all. Having said that, my dealer still threw in the floor mats for free. They even gave me the option of carpeted or the heavy duty rubbers, and since I live in the midwest, I went with the rubbers.

Since I have never ordered the car, did you have to pay a deposit? I am guessing yes, but if you can get it back, I would walk away from your shady dealership (or shady MA) and go to a different dealer or talk to the general manager.

If you can find a 2009 at a different dealer, I'm sure they would discount off sticker to get the car off their hands. Also, there is still 1.9% financing (if you apply) until Halloween on 2009's.

Just to add to what RJ Kimbell said, price out your vehicle on Edmunds and compare to what you are paying. You should be able to back into the sticker price on your vehicle (excluding tax, title, license). Also, here is a FYI, from Edmunds, regarding the destination charge:

Destination Charge
The fee that the manufacturer charges to deliver a vehicle from the factory to the dealership. This fee is not included in the base model price of the vehicle. This fee is not negotiable and is generally the same amount no matter how far the dealer is from the factory.

In IL it's $650

Last edited by Kimbo80; 10-27-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 PM
xudisco07
1st Gear
I got $1,000 off when I ordered my 2010. The dealership overcharge for their "fees" which is usually BS.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
zemina
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by xudisco07
I got $1,000 off when I ordered my 2010. The dealership overcharge for their "fees" which is usually BS.
That sounds good.... $1000 off for your ordered 2010. If you don't mind, what area are you living? I could not get any discounts when I ordered 2010 even she is our second MINI.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Tsar
4th Gear
If you want a 2010 then get a 2010, don't settle for something they are trying to push on you.

As far as free stuff goes, I negotiated my deal first and then added "ok, you throw in free blah blah blah and we've got a deal". I got floor mats and something else, I think. Not sure about something else.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 AM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
2009 production stopped a while ago. Yours should be a 2010 and the online configurator probably has it wrong, which is not unusual

The destination fee for 2010 is $700, you should not have to pay a penny more than that

The dealer doesn't add the bonnet stripes if they were on your original order. They should be free with the Sport Package, or $100 as a separate option. Maybe your MA forgot to add it to the order and now he's trying to charge you for it? Not sure.

Like someone mentioned, they haven't sold you the car until you sign paperwork. If you want a discount you HAVE to be firm about it and be ready to walk out if you are unhappy with the deal. Of course though if you REALLY want the car and they are not budging, you'll pay what they're asking. At least get some goodies like floor mats for free. You are buying a ~$25k compact car for MSRP in this economy and they can't throw in $100 floor mats for free?!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
If they promise you floor mats make sure you get them right then and there. Don't accept that the MA will "send" it to you in the mail because he will "forget".

Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 AM
xudisco07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zemina
That sounds good.... $1000 off for your ordered 2010. If you don't mind, what area are you living? I could not get any discounts when I ordered 2010 even she is our second MINI.
I live in Washington, DC. All the dealerships first said they would give me $250-$300 off. Then I made them wait, they eventually gave me a better deal.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
I'm in the process of ordering a 2010 MCS, and I'm getting $500 off. Of course, it may help that this'll be the fourth car I've bought there in two years....

Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
The bonnet stripes aren't free (at least they weren't when I ordered my 2009...I didn't get the stripes, I just noticed the price on the configurator). Also, my MA asked me if I wanted floor mats. No bargaining necessary!

I love Otto's!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Oh, and I just wanted to reiterate what K3v1n mentioned....the online Mini Owner's Lounge configurator can take a few days to show the correct configuration for your car. If you're really worried, just ask your MA directly about your order ("is this a 2009 or 2010?"). I'm pretty sure it's a 2010, though. The 2009s aren't being made anymore.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:25 AM
twlai
1st Gear
it would depend on your dealership.
we have 2 mini dealers in the boston area, so i was able to get $500 off msrp, + free flood mat when i ordered mine.
$1200 for shipping & handling, that is crazy...
all "destination charge" ( this is shipping & handling) should be included in msrp....

but u already order, that is too late..
i did my negoatation over the phone and internet. they kept asking me to
come down to talk, but i insist they agree on my $500 before i got down there.
once u get down in the showroom floor,they own you, as you would said
yes to everything they throw at you while you were drooling at all the mini on the showroom floor!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
eclaire
Neutral
Originally Posted by Kimbo80
I bought a car that was on the lot, so I paid below MSRP, but for a car that is ordered, dealers usually do not discount at all. Having said that, my dealer still threw in the floor mats for free. They even gave me the option of carpeted or the heavy duty rubbers, and since I live in the midwest, I went with the rubbers.

Since I have never ordered the car, did you have to pay a deposit? I am guessing yes, but if you can get it back, I would walk away from your shady dealership (or shady MA) and go to a different dealer or talk to the general manager.

If you can find a 2009 at a different dealer, I'm sure they would discount off sticker to get the car off their hands. Also, there is still 1.9% financing (if you apply) until Halloween on 2009's.

Just to add to what RJ Kimbell said, price out your vehicle on Edmunds and compare to what you are paying. You should be able to back into the sticker price on your vehicle (excluding tax, title, license). Also, here is a FYI, from Edmunds, regarding the destination charge:

Destination Charge
The fee that the manufacturer charges to deliver a vehicle from the factory to the dealership. This fee is not included in the base model price of the vehicle. This fee is not negotiable and is generally the same amount no matter how far the dealer is from the factory.

In IL it's $650
Actually I'm buying a car that they ordered, it just hasn't arrived yet, so it's one of their stock cars, basically.

I'm looking at other dealers... ahhh, it just sucks, because the car is only a week away, and it's so tempting. But I'll stick it out and make sure I get a good deal

Old 10-28-2009, 09:40 AM
eclaire
Neutral
Originally Posted by KevinC
When custom-ordering a car, you don't have much leverage (given the very few Mini dealerships that exist to potentially compete for your business). But when buying a car either from stock or an unsold incoming car, that's a different animal. You should absolutely be able to get them to agree to do the stripes at no additional charge, you have a valid point on that and it's not a lot of money, especially since they're (apparently) not offering any other kind of discount. The $700 destination fee is (in varying amounts) something you're going to pay on any new car.

The 2009 vs 2010 thing is weird, no reason a 2009 should still be in transit (is there?), 2010's have been rolling for some time now. If it's a 2009 and you don't mind, demand a screaming bargain, or walk.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm having a hard time defining just how much a screaming bargain would be price wise. Any ideas? I'm trying to write down all my notes before I go in to "negotiate", LOL, any price suggestions would help much

Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
3one3
3rd Gear
He probably means the dealer fee plus destination fee equals the $1200 which is normal.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
If a dealer quoted me a "dealer fee" of $500 I'd laugh at them. I detest paying even the $125 "doc fee" which is basically paying them $125 to handle some papers for you. Ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 AM
3one3
3rd Gear
The dealership I bought mine from has a $599 dealer fee. I understand it's pure profit. I guess it's useful for dealerships considering the low markup in MINIs.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM
ChrisTKD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eclaire
Hey guys, I bought a mini that was already ordered by the dealership and being delivered a month or so after I purchased.
So frustrated!!
Well, if you already "purchased" the vehicle there may not be much ability to negotiate anything. The contract should specify whether the vehicle is a 2010 or 2009.

The contract should specify the shipping fee (not negotiable) and the dealer prep fee (only indirectly negotiable). In my area the dealer will stick with the prep fee but you negotiate the price accordingly.

If you negotiate a really good price then don't expect a "free" goodies like mats. I wouldn't pay $300 for basic stripes.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
If you've already done the deal, I think you're stuck. Our MA threw in the mats before I had a chance to ask for them, I assume that's policy at our dealer. Since Mini is still offering killer financing I assume they're trying to move vehicles, you probably could have got yourself a better deal. But it's only money, don't beat yourself up about it.

Enjoy the car, and if it will help, go out of you way to not send any business to that MA. I'm not sure what NAM's policy is about naming names, but I don't see any harm in warning others about your experience with certain MA at a particular dealer. Karma, baby!

If nothing else, remove the dealer license plate frame. No sense in giving them free advertising.

Quick Reply: R56 Bargaining at the dealership?