R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS vs JCW

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't get over these comments saying that a factory JCW is so much power. Hey guys, this is NOT a 500 hp car, or 400 hp car, not even close. My first new car was a 65 Dodge 426, driven on the street, summer and winter, no problems. I live in the snow belt of Iowa. Next car was a 67 Plymouth GTX. It dynoed at 418 hp at the rear wheels. Drove that one summer and winter, too. These were rather hairy cars, some would say, but they drove just nicely, if you kept your foot out of it. Ok, now take the 208 hp Mini Cooper. First, it is front wheel drive, you can run all season 17" tires, which I would recomend anyway unless you doing track time, and here in Iowa we don't have tracks. It's also a manual transmission, so you can start in 2nd gear for better use in snow. So, what's the problem? By the way SurfBlue, nice car, actually that is what I've been wanting to see, a non JCW aero all white Mini. That's what I'll probably get when I do get my JCW next year. And, what you say, go drive them both, that is the only way that this guy will know for sure what he wants. Me, I drove a Mini S and for me, I need more power. I've driven high performance cars all my life, and performance has gotten me out of more trouble than it's gotten me into. Oh yes, my other car is a 38 Ford Standard Tudor sedan with a 57 Dodge baby hemi, probable hp is in the 360 range, but I will not be driving it in the winter.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power is not the only thin you get from a JCW... since we're talking about 2nd gen's here, you also get a Brembo brakes, which if you look up, is give or take $2k ALONE.

I have always wanted a MINI Cooper, but never got one cause I always felt the power wasn't there when I wanted it... till I drove what is now my R55 JCW. A modded MCS with the difference is cost of aftermarket parts just won't cut it. If you spent the money on an MCS to make to where a JCW is from the get-go, you will be spending a lot more than that ~$5k difference in price.

You can also do what I did, and just buy a slightly used JCW from the dealer. Mine only had 8k miles on it when bought, still an '09, and bought it from the dealer about the same price as a base MCS. Mine's not fully equipped, but had everything I'd ever need... the sunroof, chrome guage trim, and the nice features you get from JCW. I can turn on my own windshield wipers and headlights thank you.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 AM
jhowton
1st Gear
I traded in an 06 BMW M Roadster (330HP 0-60 4.7 sec) for my MCS and while I miss the ability to pass almost anyone almost anywhere, I really enjoy the MCS. The main reason I chose my 09 MCS instead of a JCW is the availability of LSD. There's no way I'm ever buying a car without a mechanical LSD again. I've owned 5 BMWs, 4 of which had DSC, two had an open diff and the other three a mechanical LSD. There's no comparison, the LSD cars get the power to the ground better and when you do get the car loose the slide is much more controllable with both drive wheels pulling. (By way of background I am a NASA HPDE instructor and have been doing on average 20+ track days per year for the past 10 years and raced in TT for 3 years).

My wife has an Automatic Justa-Clubman and to be perfectly honest I have just as much fun driving her car as any other car I've owned.

So for my $.02, buy an 09 MCS with LSD, it's the last model year its available as a factory option and it's worth much more than the ~20% extra HP you get with the JCW.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP why not a MCS with a JCW tune kit? Save about 4 grand.

Last edited by sequence; 11-03-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jhowton
So for my $.02, buy an 09 MCS with LSD, it's the last model year its available as a factory option and it's worth much more than the ~20% extra HP you get with the JCW.
yeah, then add the tune kit to this car.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 AM
jhowton
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence

Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gerarddm
Spend several grand for a JCW? I'm thinking not- do a RMW tune, maybe a CAI and exhaust, plenty fast for me - JCW type HP figures at way less cost.
Sure at way less cost, but what price? the one problem with this approach is that dealers are becoming more militant about warranty issues and 3rd party mods. With JCW, no worries whatsoever.

(OP you may want to check out this thread)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-of-parts.html

Last edited by sequence; 11-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a very big difference between the Stage I JCW tune kit, and a JCW MINI.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
JCW tune on an MCS still won't give you the specs of a JCW. Not that hp is everything hemisedan (former KS Chapter Pres of HEMI truck club right here, I know where yer comin' from!), but for someone looking to get the most bang for their buck, the extra money for the JCW IS cheaper in the long run with the whole package you get, not just HP #'s.

Side note: for myself, insurance on a JCW wasn't anymore than the same car as an S model, and my mileage is actually better than advertised. Mostly on the hwy, but I don't exactly baby it all the time. Never gotten below 30mpg, and that's driving on base a lot of the time, never going above 30-45mph. I think that extra low end torque is directly responsible for that.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
There is a very big difference between the Stage I JCW tune kit, and a JCW MINI.
Well DUH I knew that, but from what I gather the OP is hesitant to pay a six grand premium to upgrade to a full JCW. My tune kit suggestion was simply a happy medium.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Well DUH I knew that, but from what I gather the OP is hesitant to pay a six grand premium to upgrade to a full JCW. My tune kit suggestion was simply a happy medium.
Yer right, the JCW isn't for everyone, whether they can afford it or not.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LiLReD1
JCW tune on an MCS still won't give you the specs of a JCW.
You can call an apple an orange all you want, but a MCS with the JCW tune kit can still proudly wear the JCW badge. And unlike the (overpriced IMO) factory JCW cars, the tune kit cars come with a COA signed by Michael Cooper himself.

And for those of us with MCSa's or MCCSa's, the tune kit is THE only way to go, at least right now.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
You can call an apple an orange all you want, but a MCS with the JCW tune kit can still proudly wear the JCW badge. And unlike the (overpriced IMO) factory JCW cars, the tune kit cars come with a COA signed by Michael Cooper himself.

And for those of us with MCSa's or MCCSa's, the tune kit is THE only way to go, at least right now.
This isn't the "is a JCW tuned car a 'real' JCW" arguement, that's another post on another thread that I could really care less about. I never said anything of the sort, nor implied to either/or. But an MCS, other than handling, IS apple's and orange's in my eyes. And yes, the price for a JCW, is quite up there... but that's why I bought a used one for cheaper than an MCS... (I thought I already said this?)

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think everyone is saying that it is a lot of power for this pea-shooter of a car. I spun the tires 1-3 in the dealers JCW clubby without hardly trying and where I live, where it gets icy and freezing cold, that can be a problem. The JCW absolutely, undoubtedly has manageable power, but all we are saying is that it is not right for everyone. I mean, I would still drive it, but it isn't the right choice for all people for 6 grand!

Originally Posted by hemisedan
I can't get over these comments saying that a factory JCW is so much power. Hey guys, this is NOT a 500 hp car, or 400 hp car, not even close. My first new car was a 65 Dodge 426, driven on the street, summer and winter, no problems. I live in the snow belt of Iowa. Next car was a 67 Plymouth GTX. It dynoed at 418 hp at the rear wheels. Drove that one summer and winter, too. These were rather hairy cars, some would say, but they drove just nicely, if you kept your foot out of it. Ok, now take the 208 hp Mini Cooper. First, it is front wheel drive, you can run all season 17" tires, which I would recomend anyway unless you doing track time, and here in Iowa we don't have tracks. It's also a manual transmission, so you can start in 2nd gear for better use in snow. So, what's the problem? By the way SurfBlue, nice car, actually that is what I've been wanting to see, a non JCW aero all white Mini. That's what I'll probably get when I do get my JCW next year. And, what you say, go drive them both, that is the only way that this guy will know for sure what he wants. Me, I drove a Mini S and for me, I need more power. I've driven high performance cars all my life, and performance has gotten me out of more trouble than it's gotten me into. Oh yes, my other car is a 38 Ford Standard Tudor sedan with a 57 Dodge baby hemi, probable hp is in the 360 range, but I will not be driving it in the winter.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LiLReD1
This isn't the "is a JCW tuned car a 'real' JCW" arguement, that's another post on another thread that I could really care less about....
...so how much less?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
put some Blizzaks on it, drive sensibly, and you will have no problems driving one of these on ice and snow. Actually, I don't care what you drive, ice is not fun. And, you get a normally equipped Mini S, and it will list out at about $28k. The JCW that I would order out is $30K. So where is the $6000? The JCW gets into serious pricing when you start adding the Premium, Convenience, HID's and leather, let alone the aero packages. I'm talking about pretty much what JCW puts on them for the $30K, with a Cold package, and rear fog lights. Got to fill up those holes in the rear bumper. My opinion, to each his own, and Mini has to to sell those other Mini S too.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
...so how much less?

Great... I guess I better shut my mouth. I'm in the politically correct generation now.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
The JCW gets into serious pricing when you start adding the Premium, Convenience, HID's and leather, let alone the aero packages.
And dont forget having to pay extra to add either the standard Sports or upgraded JCW suspension, which is a travesty IMO. JCWs suffer the same 'option creep' as other BMW products, that's for sure.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
And dont forget having to pay extra to add either the standard Sports or upgraded JCW suspension, which is a travesty IMO. JCWs suffer the same 'option creep' as other BMW products, that's for sure.
That's the beauty of aftermarket suspension.

Yer right about the options though! But hey, if someone else wants to pay for it, go for it... the bright side of it is that makes them that much more unique. What do they call it... "youification"? lol

Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 AM
MrBonus
2nd Gear
I loved the MCS the first time I drove it but it immediately fell off my radar once I drove the JCW. For me, the additional cost was without question worth the total package the JCW offers.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I loved the MCS the first time I drove it but it immediately fell off my radar once I drove the JCW. For me, the additional cost was without question worth the total package the JCW offers.
If MINI offered some kind of dry-clutch 7 speed automatic for the JCW, similar to VW's DSG, I'd be first in line to put that car through its paces Oh and before the so-called purists flame me for wanting this option, I have a disability that prevents me from driving a stick.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
If MINI offered some kind of dry-clutch 7 speed automatic for the JCW, similar to VW's DSG, I'd be first in line to put that car through its paces Oh and before the so-called purists flame me for wanting this option, I have a disability that prevents me from driving a stick.
I'd normally be one of those people that would blast you for that, lol... but with that semi auto they offer for the MCS, I'm quite impressed! My g/f has an R57 MCS with that tranny, and though in that application, it's actually the heaviest MINI made, heavier than my R55 JCW, but she can consistantly launch better than anyone else in a MINI. Can't beat brake boosting when it comes to drag racing... a lot harder to do with a manual tranny, and more expensive when ya go through clutch's!

I honestly don't like it much for the DD application, but in a race application, I can see how I may even prefer it over a manual tranny... rev match down shifting and all. Other than all that extra weight over the manual, it's a force to be reckoned with!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I have a blast at the track with my JCW'd auto MCS. Have pulled sub 14.4 sec standing 1/4 mile times just by letting the tranny shift on its own, Sport mode on, in D. Quite impressive, and much faster than if I did it on my own with a stick and clutch. And if I had a Scangauge (or a boost gauge) I'd like to see if there's any loss of boost when the car shifts like this, I get the impression there's very little, if any, between gear changes. Plus, 6 is soooo tall I rarely use it under 100 mph, on the track, of course.

I read somewhere, Car and Driver I think, that when the supercharged 09 Caddy CTS-V recently set the lap record at Nurburgring the driver let the auto-equipped car shift on its own.

Tell ya, if transmission companies like Aisin and Getrag keep developing sophisticated 7- and 8-speed autos with manual-like capabilities, the clutch-driven stick, as we know it, may go the way of the carb--except for perhaps the most high-end exotics. My MA is convinced that this will happen in the next decade with the evolution of car technology, much to the chagrin of stick purists.

Last edited by sequence; 11-04-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 PM
LiLReD1
4th Gear
Hate to say it, but yer prolly right. I just hope they don't rid a manual tranny for good. Nothin' like clickin' the gears of a classic.

Funny you mention 6th gear, cause I noticed this myself. 5th gear in the auto is just a few more revs than my 6th in the JCW, and 6th gear in the auto is 500 revs lower than 6th in the JCW!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Waiting
1st Gear
Thanks to all of your comments.
I was planning to test drive an auto S, a manual S, and a JCW; in that order. I didn't want the performance drop, by testing in reverse, to be a let down. Someone above suggested this as well.
Anyway, I went to the dealer last night 40 minutes to close, just to look around. Really..I was just looking. Test drives were scheduled at another dealer for Friday. Then, for no reason, I was offered a test drive. It was dark outside and close to closing. I said "yes"; it was a manual S; and, the MA knew some really twisty roads I never knew about. We stayed out until 8:02; 2 mins past closing. All I can say is "WOW"! That sucker is quick; and nimble. It is just tad less torquey than my VR6 when in going slow and when under ~1.6K rpm. But, it really accelerates. 20mph to 40mph, and 30mph to 60mph, etc are better (read: sufficient for me) than my current VR6. Did I mention it was nimble? "WOW" But, I guess you guys knew that already.
More test drives on Friday.

Quick Reply: R56 MCS vs JCW