R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS vs JCW

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Waiting
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MCS vs JCW

I will be having to choose between a MCS and a JCW. I am coming from an '03 GTi VR6. When I bought that, I test drove a turbo 4-banger and then the V6. As you can see I went with the more powerful engine. Now I will have to choose between the MCS and the JCW. I'm afraid to test drive it because I may ignore any excessive noise, ride harsness; and, most of all price.
Is the power jump in the JCW very noticable/addicting? How much louder is the JCW from the others? Is the suspension stiffer, or the same as the MCS? Is the extra ~$6,500 worth it to most drivers, or only to the hard core enthusiast?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Take the MCS for a test drive and then take out a JCW and you will see for yourself that its not even close. The JCW is so much better and faster than an MCS. It's totally worth it. If you can afford it go for it.

Do a search here on NAM you will see many pots about this exact topic as well as the pros and cons. The only con is the additional price.

Bottom line... go for it. If you don't you will regret it.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
The MCS was already plenty fast for me. I did not think the JCW was worth the extra money. I'd rather have a fully loaded S than a base JCW for the same price.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
I have an '08 MCS and I paid about 7 k less for it than a JCW and it is plenty fast. I actually took a JCW clubman home over night and it was raining and the wheels literally DID NOT want to grip. Buy a loaded MCS and put an Alta Intercooler, exhaust and intake and you have JCW power for 2k extra. I love a ton of power but if it isnt going to the ground very well, what good is it?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Can you afford to equip the JCW the same as a MCS? If not you may be better off in an S since not having important to you features could lead to regret. If you can afford the same option set then you should probably get the JCW for 2 reasons. You will likely regret not getting it and exclusivity. Sure you can take a S and make it preform as well but it will never BE a JCW.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Waiting
I will be having to choose between a MCS and a JCW. I am coming from an '03 GTi VR6. When I bought that, I test drove a turbo 4-banger and then the V6. As you can see I went with the more powerful engine. Now I will have to choose between the MCS and the JCW. I'm afraid to test drive it because I may ignore any excessive noise, ride harsness; and, most of all price.
Is the power jump in the JCW very noticable/addicting? How much louder is the JCW from the others? Is the suspension stiffer, or the same as the MCS? Is the extra ~$6,500 worth it to most drivers, or only to the hard core enthusiast?
First off the $6500 difference. It really isn't that much of a difference. If you cost out MiniS with the same, or similar equipment as the JCW has there's about $1500. by my calculations difference. That's putting the JCW tune kit, the JCW brake kit, on top of the MiniS. Then, of course, you don't get the larger turbo, the internal upgrades to the motor, or the upgraded clutch and transmission. The suspension is the same, or darn close, to the MiniS regular suspension.

Other than that, just test driving, like everybody will tell you, the driving difference is night and day. What's really interesting is that under part throttle acceleration, that's were a big difference is, let alone when you really get into it. And no it is not a race car type of feeling, just nice rapid acceleration that is controllable. And then on top of that, you get the same aor better gas mileage than the regular S. A no brainer, really. And, the cost isn't all that bad if you watch the options.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Waiting
1st Gear
I'll try to test drive next Friday. Hopefully, I can get in three long drives-S auto; S manual; and JCW.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
First off the $6500 difference. It really isn't that much of a difference. If you cost out MiniS with the same, or similar equipment as the JCW has there's about $1500. by my calculations difference. That's putting the JCW tune kit, the JCW brake kit, on top of the MiniS. Then, of course, you don't get the larger turbo, the internal upgrades to the motor, or the upgraded clutch and transmission. The suspension is the same, or darn close, to the MiniS regular suspension.

Other than that, just test driving, like everybody will tell you, the driving difference is night and day. What's really interesting is that under part throttle acceleration, that's were a big difference is, let alone when you really get into it. And no it is not a race car type of feeling, just nice rapid acceleration that is controllable. And then on top of that, you get the same aor better gas mileage than the regular S. A no brainer, really. And, the cost isn't all that bad if you watch the options.
That is assuming someone wants those upgrades. If you want the extra power, then yes it makes more sense to get the JCW. But most people that get the S instead of the JCW are perfectly fine with the stock performance and don't consider the extra JCW options. So a $6500 difference is more realistic. In your case it might have been a $1500 since you wanted the extra JCW upgrades, but that is not the case for most people.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
What he said..........I concur

Originally Posted by k3v1n
That is assuming someone wants those upgrades. If you want the extra power, then yes it makes more sense to get the JCW. But most people that get the S instead of the JCW are perfectly fine with the stock performance and don't consider the extra JCW options. So a $6500 difference is more realistic. In your case it might have been a $1500 since you wanted the extra JCW upgrades, but that is not the case for most people.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
One of the major car mags had a write up on their long term test car - a 2009 JCW Clubman. It had the sports suspension and they complained about the torque steer being pretty strong and the ride quality. This was from an enthusiast magazine not usually prone to whining about less-than-luxury ride quality.

It all really depends on what you want. There is almost always a tradeoff. Tighter handling = poorer ride, more power= more torque steer. I'd drive both and be sure to hit the highway and some less than perfect roads in each. Pick the one that suits you and think long term - what do you think will be most important to you 6 months after purchase. Some would never consider anything less than a JCW and others would tire of the ride quality and noise of a JCW in daily use. You will love your MINI regardless of which one you get.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
If I were in an area that gets a lot of snow or rain (aka Pittsburgh where I am) I would not necessarily go with the JCW if it were my first car. If it was a sunny place and/or my second car and you have the cash, go JCW.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You know that I am just not attracted at all by 50 or 100 extra horsepower or MPG's (I chose a justaCooper Automatic ),
but EPA rates JCW equal economy with the MCS.

HERE IS an interesting JCW Story from the British Auto-Express (50MPG = 40MPG in US Gallons).

Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the folks who don't plan on keeping the MINI past their lease end or for more than 50k go with the MCS as it's power should be sufficient. For the folks who look forward to that loan payoff day while modding to their hearts content... go with the JCW.

My .2

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
test drive n u wil knwo yr answer

Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
To the OP Waiting. I would test drive in this order, MCS auto, MCS manual and then the JCW. You should see an interesting progression from a power perspective. Another thing to note, when you do test drive all three cars make sure that the "sport button" in ON in all 3 cars or OFF in all 3 cars. That may skewer your results.

Another interesting thing I noticed shortly after getting the car and becoming active here on NAM, Lots and lots of posts about people doing all sorts of mods especially to the engine and exhaust. Never having had a MINI and being new to the JCW, I could not figure out why this was until I had to bring my car back in to the dealer a few days after delivery for some minor things. The loaner car they gave me was a MCS auto. Then it dawned on me why so many were modding their cars.

The MCS is fast but by modding it, you can make it much faster. The JCW is already much faster than the S to begin with, so there is not much need to mod the car.

Last edited by onefish2; 11-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing to note is that the JCW is not just a lightly modded MCS. It has different pistons to handle more boost, heavier clutch and transmission to handle more power, larger turbo, etc. So, it isn't just an MCS with an intake and chip mod.

I've not had the pleasure of driving a JCW, nor do I know what your power expectations and desires are.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me try to answer the OP specific questions:

Q: Is the power jump in the JCW very noticeable/addicting?
A: Yes it is noticeable. I could be addicting but depends on the driver I guess.

Q: How much louder is the JCW from the others?
A: I don't think it is really any louder other than maybe the exhaust. The exhaust is definitely louder (in a good way.. IMHO) outside of the car. It sounds awesome!

Q: Is the suspension stiffer, or the same as the MCS?
A: Same suspension comes standard on both cars. Both cars can be upgraded to the regular sport or JCW sport suspensions.

Q: Is the extra ~$6,500 worth it to most drivers, or only to the hard core enthusiast?
A: Hard one to answer but many/most? MINI owners are very happy with the power of the standard S. I think only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it! As others suggested, go drive both and decide! Unless you have an unlimited budget then you need to decide if you prefer the extra power (JCW) or other "luxury" options (S).

I personally would try to swing a lightly optioned JCW if I was shopping now but that is just me!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both great choices, but I vote JCW.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
I just built my car (MCS w/ LSD) and I built a JCW with the same options on MINI USA and the prices were as follows- MCS- $28,000, JCW-$34,310. A true $6,310 difference. I can tell you, I love more power but for 6k, there is a lot you can do to your MCS to boost the power up. Also consider, the new MCS's are using the previous R53 JCW brake calipers as well and trust me, they stop you! Yes the JCW has a different Trans and Head because of the extra power, but honestly, get a MCS, put the $1,600 JCW package on it (yes it is this price through MORRISTOWNMINI.COM) and call it a day.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
In my situation I was coming from a more expensive car a 06 BMW 330xi sedan. So going to a JCW was a nice drop in monthly payments for me.

Try as you may you can NEVER mod a MCS into a JCW. Why not spend the extra money and have a faster, better car that is 100% under warranty.

Not to knock some of the 3rd party vendors such as Alta, but it looks like some of these products do not hold up well over time.

Some can do the installs themselves and most need to go to a mechanic. I happen to have a mechanic that I trust that does great work and charges a fair price for the few and minor mods that I have done.

Prestige MINI in Mahwah, NJ is great for service but their labor is not cheap.

Once again, I'd rather have all or almost all of the components in my car under warranty.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
To simply state that you will never get a MCS to JCW status is absurd. I will admit, I wish I had a JCW car, but I am not complaining about my power in my MCS. And I can get factory JCW power under warranty with a JCW upgrade from MINI. I do not have to go to ALTA, or M&, ETC and void the warranty. I am just throwing this out there to be Devil's Advocate on the subject.....................

Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I'm sorry but an exhaust, air box and tune on a MCS does not make it close to being a factory JCW. Using aftermarket parts you can definitely go way beyond the power of a JCW. But what does that do to the engine and the tranny long term.

I like what I got "out of the box" on my JCW. I am very satisfied with the car. I also enjoy getting a loaner from the dealer when my car needs service. Makes me realize what I have and reinforces that I made the right decision for me.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Gerarddm
2nd Gear
I just drove a 2010 MCS Clubman 6-speed today for the first time. Even with me ( 190 lb ) my girlfriend ( 110 lbs ) and a pudgy tall sales guy ( 200lbs +), it felt significantly quicker than my 200 HP V6 Accord coupe. So I'm thinking that 90% of the time I drive by myself- lose the sales guy, lose the girlfriend, do a MCS not a Clubman and save another 187 lbs, and all of a sudden I've saved 687 lbs... not to mention that aftermarket wheels would probably save me another 25 lbs, then maybe lose the rear seats, save another 50 lbs...

My point is that all of a sudden in reality the 6-speed MCS is seriously quick. Spend several grand for a JCW? I'm thinking not- do a RMW tune, maybe a CAI and exhaust, plenty fast for me - JCW type HP figures at way less cost.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Play Jeopardy Every Day!!

Every day you drive a stock MCS your driver's license is still in plenty big jeopardy. The car has all the power and handling needed for a street car, with enough extra to make sure you will be riding a bicycle or the bus if you get even mildly carried away. JCW car AT YOUR PERIL.
You better go DRIVE them both. Asking this forum will just further confuse you. On that note, I hope I have helped with your confusion. See my gallery, see what I drive and have driven. The Mini S is BEST!!!

Quick Reply: R56 MCS vs JCW