R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front and rear tie-downs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front and rear tie-downs

I posted this to the Clubman area first, since I'm primarily interested in that model, but then it struck me that the basic underpinnings are probably quite similar and I thought it would be worth my while to post here as well.
-----------
I did a quick search and didn't see anything... sorry if I missed anything obvious.

I carry sea kayaks on the roof. And I don't like being on the highway without front and rear tie-downs.

But the sales guy could only suggest the two screw-in hooks that the car comes with for use on the flat-beds, which doesn't really do the job for me. For one thing, they are on opposite sides of the car: the front one is on the driver's side and the rear is on the passenger side, so that the tie-downs, when pulled taut, will tend to pull the kayaks at a diagonal to the car. Not good to highway speeds!

Does anyone out there put anything like a sea kayak, canoe, or maybe a racing scull on their roof and use front and rear tie-downs? If so, where do you connect the tie-downs to the car?

This could be a deal breaker for me if there isn't anything except the two points -- one front and one rear -- that I can use.

If I get this point sorted out, it's down to arranging financing and I'm ready to sign the paperwork.

TIA,
--
Darryl

Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Re-look at the stock tie downs. My clubmans tie downs are both on the passengers side. You can verify by checking in gallery's and look for the Minis that use the front offset license plate mount which is always on the passengers side (these brackets use the tow hook socket for mounting).

Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Darryl_J
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Re-look at the stock tie downs. My clubmans tie downs are both on the passengers side. You can verify by checking in gallery's and look for the Minis that use the front offset license plate mount which is always on the passengers side (these brackets use the tow hook socket for mounting).
I posted a reply to the thread in the Clubman area: on the model I looked at closely on the dealer's showroom, the locations for the removable plates for the screw-in hook was driver's side front and passenger side rear.

The car was a Cooper S (not a Clubman) and it was some special edition -- 50th anniversary special -- but I would have thought that was just a trim and options package, not a change to the actual chassis. Maybe they've made the change for 2010 models? Or maybe it's a Canadian model thing...

I'll go back and look more closely at the Clubman and other cars around the lot.

Thanks again,
--
Darryl