R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How do I detach the rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How do I detach the rear view mirror?

I'm one of those that think the rear view mirror in my '09 Cooper hardtop is WAY too big...safety hazard...my neck gets sore from all the gyrations to see around it.

I've searched a few threads, but can't seem to find specific information on how to remove the mirror.

One post said to rotate the mirror (well, not the mirror itself, but the part that is attached directly to the roof) counterclockwise (as viewed from below the mirror).

I've tried that, but it doesn't want to budge...I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I twist much harder.

Ideas?

Thanks...

Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure how, but making sure you also read that the key fob receiver is in the mirror stalk. so watch out for the wiring when you do yank it off. don't know anyone who has tried transplanting the receiver in the headliner yet.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:48 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...31&hg=51&fg=40

granted those diagrams probably do not help much, i wonder if you can see all the mounting if you take off the big plastic trim piece up there?? Ive had mine off but forget what all can be seen. If i recall correctly its just a few screws..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Will in Milwaukee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I could help you here. I also find the mirror annoying (and borderline dangerous.)

I read a thread here quite a while back where someone had relocated the mirror. He had even posted a picture. For the life of me, I can't locate it. If anyone has it, please post.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not for an 09, but my 07 is removed like this.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Removing Mirror.pdf (142.7 KB, 437 views)
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Here's someone who had the courage to dismantle the sensor and stuff it in the headliner:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...52-post72.html

Very tempting.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Not for an 09, but my 07 is removed like this.
'09 should be the same, no? But actually, that area around the mirror looks completely different...is yours an '07 convertible with the 2006 and earlier body style?
In any case, those pdf "instructions" confuse the heck out of me.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Here's someone who had the courage to dismantle the sensor and stuff it in the headliner:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...52-post72.html

Very tempting.
He begins with "twist the mirror off"...that's what I was trying to do (counterclockwise?), but it doesn't want to budge...and does he mean the MIRROR or does he mean the mirror FOOT? I assume the foot, but like I said, mine doesn't want to budge.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wsalopek
'09 should be the same, no? But actually, that area around the mirror looks completely different...is yours an '07 convertible with the 2006 and earlier body style?
In any case, those pdf "instructions" confuse the heck out of me.
Mine is an 07 Hatchback, so a 2nd gen car. The mirror base and mirror look the same as in the pdf, but the area around the mirror base (headliner) looks different. The pics look more like an 06 headliner.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He begins with "twist the mirror off"...that's what I was trying to do (counterclockwise?), but it doesn't want to budge...and does he mean the MIRROR or does he mean the mirror FOOT? I assume the foot, but like I said, mine doesn't want to budge.
I have an '09 convertible and if your coupe's mirror is the same, you are just being too timid. It does just take a twist and it comes right off.

What I don't understand is: what do you do then for a rear view mirror? Or do you just use the outside mirrors? I would agree that the mirror is large and you would have a better view out the front without it though...and since I have ridden motorcycles all my life, I guess you could get used to it. Also, in a convertible, with the top down, the rear-view mirror is almost useless.

Of course it does help brace my V1

Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AustinS
I have an '09 convertible and if your coupe's mirror is the same, you are just being too timid. It does just take a twist and it comes right off.

What I don't understand is: what do you do then for a rear view mirror?
I'm working on a replacement scenario...but I think doing without a rear view mirror AT ALL would be better.

Just today I was driving around town looking at neighborhoods...my neck is still sore from ducking around the mirror. It SUCKS.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:22 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Ah HA! Rearview mirror problem almost solved??

Originally Posted by AustinS

What I don't understand is: what do you do then for a rear view mirror? Or do you just use the outside mirrors?
Two options, one is very very easy:

1) Buy one of these:

AMAZON

or

AMAZON

It's a tiny mirror you stick to your glasses/sunglasses which apparently (believe it or not) gives a nice rear view (I''ve never tried it though I've had an new unopened unit here on my desk for months for bicycle riding).

Of course this means the driver needs to be wearing sunglasses or RX (or clear) lenses...but hey...might be a really nice, cheap solution.

2) I'm still working on this one.

I bought a $15 day/night replacement mirror from a Pep Boys Auto Store...
from holding it up by the overhead switches, it looks like it will mount nice and high and completely out of the way of the view thru the windshield.

Yesterday I took apart that plastic shroud behind the overhead switches, looking for a nice firm mounting point...so far, this doesn't look easy...I don't see a nice solid surface.

But...

Mounting this $15 mirror in that spot would almost look "factory", esp since it has the day/night function.

Attached Thumbnails How do I detach the rear view mirror?-img_2509.jpg   How do I detach the rear view mirror?-img_2507.jpg   How do I detach the rear view mirror?-img_2506.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
SUCCESS

This is what I did today...took about 4 hours...would take much less time (1 hour?) if I didn't have to figure a lot out. I must say a BIG thanks to cjmadura, as he got me most of the way thru it (he did not install a replacement mirror).

1) removed my rear view mirror,

2) got the remote-receiver circuit board out of the mirror housing,

3) placed it up in the headliner, and then,

4) installed a $15 replacement day/night mirror that is virtually 100% out of the way of the view thru the windshield.

THE VIEW IS AWESOME.

I'd post all the pics and instructions here...but I see that I can only post 3 pics per posting...so I put it all in a Picassa web album...I hope to figure out how to put the whole process here (advice please?).

Enjoy:

REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL

Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
This is what I did today...took about 4 hours...would take much less time (1 hour?) if I didn't have to figure a lot out. I must say a BIG thanks to cjmadura, as he got me most of the way thru it (he did not install a replacement mirror).

1) removed my rear view mirror,

2) got the remote-receiver circuit board out of the mirror housing,

3) placed it up in the headliner, and then,

4) installed a $15 replacement day/night mirror that is virtually 100% out of the way of the view thru the windshield.

THE VIEW IS AWESOME.

I'd post all the pics and instructions here...but I see that I can only post 3 pics per posting...so I put it all in a Picassa web album...I hope to figure out how to put the whole process here (advice please?).

Enjoy:

REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL
awesome job! the pictures/instructions are fantastic. respect your perseverance. glad all your efforts had a happy ending. i know my projects don't always. as for the pics, you can insert them throughout your text using the picture icon and refer to the Picasa image url as i did below. i wouldn't bother, though, since the Picasa album with the labeled pics does the trick perfectly.